Digimon Tamers DVD Boxset Confirmed, w/ Coverart

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While not officially listed by New Video yet, Amazon has put up a page for Digimon Tamers on DVD.

Image Thumbnail

The MSRP will be $79.99 like prior seasons, with a release date of June 11, 2013. The current preorder price is cheaper, and likely to go down more.

Amazon Pre-order page for Digimon Tamers on DVD

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The interesting thing is, bypassing the logo Tamers used in the USA for it's initial release... this logo appears to be an adaption of the Japanese Tamers logo with a few interesting things.

They normalized the D in the 'Digimon Tamers' text, instead of using the stylized D.

The 'Digimon' text itself, while styled to pseudo-match the Japanese text in the Tamers logo, comes across more as a mix of the Data Squad logo trying to emulate the classic English Digimon font.

It's kind of neat, but comes across as a bit messy because of Digimon being there twice.

I think what would have worked better... use the English Season 3 logo, but replace 'Digital Monsters' with Tamers. Of course... that logo may not have been available for whatever reason.

Still, kind of neat to see a new design that had some effort in it, even if it's a bit odd.

Hagaren Gao

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
God bless New Video. Tamers is my favorite season, consider it pre-ordered.

Really glad they didn't use the stock character art like they did for the past two seasons, since the Tamers ones are just standing straight forward and are kinda bland. Makes me wonder how Frontier will look, since at the rate they are announcing these I can't imagine they won't release it now.

Pretty neat that they actually call it Tamers too. The new logo is kinda cool but messy...I can't help but notice the bottom of the N sticking out there.

viperzerof-2

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
so yea shut up and take my money

but this is great i love tamers i like the cover too

ImNotThePro

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On Amazon it has the Japanese VA's listed. Wonder why?

EDIT: sorry, that was the director, producer and etc.

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really glad they didn't use the stock character art like they did for the past two seasons, since the Tamers ones are just standing straight forward and are kinda bland. Makes me wonder how Frontier will look, since at the rate they are announcing these I can't imagine they won't release it now.

It's worth mentioning, these are stock character art pieces, just not the ones most Digimon fans have memorized. I don't recall where all the pieces are from, but the Takato one, for example, was last used for the American release of the Tamers MMO.

Pretty neat that they actually call it Tamers too. The new logo is kinda cool but messy...I can't help but notice the bottom of the N sticking out there.

They actually did this with the other sets (using the Japanese title that is... well... half with 02...) but they didn't change the logo. I"m guessing they did it for one of three reasons. 1- There's a legal issue with the dub Tamers logo. 2- They don't have proper assets for the logo. 3- They want to create brand separation, showing this is season 3 of a franchise, but not the 'same show', which the dub logo wouldn't do.

ImNotThePro

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder what's up with it listing a run time of 480 minutes? That equates to 24 episodes. They must have made a mistake.

Lagarmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder what's up with it listing a run time of 480 minutes? That equates to 24 episodes. They must have made a mistake.

Maybe this is just the first set they're going to do. I can't remember seeing an entire season released in 1 set, though I could be wrong.

ImNotThePro

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Season 1 was and Season 2 is. They'll probably do individual sets but they wouldn't include more than 1/3 of the show.

zbydown

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really hope that Saban releases blu-ray version of Fusion,I have R2J DVD of Tamers,etc,but it seems that R2J blu-ray version of Xros Wars is never raised into the scheme by Bandai Visual.

Last edited:

nintenfan

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hm, How much longer til Frontier comes out then? 'Cause 02 is coming out in May right?

Kazemon15

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hm, How much longer til Frontier comes out then? 'Cause 02 is coming out in May right?

02 is actually coming out in March, next month.

So if Tamers is June, that give or takes about 4 months between releases, so we may see a Frontier boxset somewhere between October-December.

I hope so, Frontier is my favorite season. Of course, I'm getting all the boxsets anyway and I am super excited for 02 and Tamers. =3

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Props to them not using the stock art of them just standing straight. :)

Tomozaurus

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man, I really want a subbed version released :(
The listing of the Japanese voice cast is interesting, but I can't say it's affirmative. I like the new logo in any case, and that they are actually calling it by it's real name ie. Digimon Tamers.

viperzerof-2

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

It's worth mentioning, these are stock character art pieces, just not the ones most Digimon fans have memorized. I don't recall where all the pieces are from, but the Takato one, for example, was last used for the American release of the Tamers MMO.

They actually did this with the other sets (using the Japanese title that is... well... half with 02...) but they didn't change the logo. I"m guessing they did it for one of three reasons. 1- There's a legal issue with the dub Tamers logo. 2- They don't have proper assets for the logo. 3- They want to create brand separation, showing this is season 3 of a franchise, but not the 'same show', which the dub logo wouldn't do.

my old cable company used to make a distinction between seasons 1/2 and 3/4 one was digimon the other digimon digital monsters in the info box, i don't remember what was what though

ImNotThePro

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd actually like Blu-ray versions too come to think about it. They could probably fit all episodes onto... I'll guess 3 or 4 discs. If 3, then they could fit a whole season into one Blu-ray case. It is though commendable that they managed to fit in 8 discs into something that's about 2 DVD cases wide. I was expecting something bigger but I'm satisfied with it. It just sucks that the case won't stay shut on it's own unless the booklet is removed, but oh well, I just leave the sleeve on.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd actually like Blu-ray versions too come to think about it. They could probably fit all episodes onto... I'll guess 3 or 4 discs. If 3, then they could fit a whole season into one Blu-ray case.

While possible, with the encoding settings that are normal in the industry it's a minimum of 5 or 6. Some companies have done disks with the numbers needed for 3 or 4 disks, but it's relatively rare and the disks tend to suffer.

It is though commendable that they managed to fit in 8 discs into something that's about 2 DVD cases wide. I was expecting something bigger but I'm satisfied with it. It just sucks that the case won't stay shut on it's own unless the booklet is removed, but oh well, I just leave the sleeve on.

Minus the odd off custom designed solution, that isn't how that works. The disk replicator shows what they stock for various disk counts, and the company picks from multiple choices (if they have multiple choices at that size) or else the company has to buy cases and provide them, where they will no doubt pay more since they not only have to order them in lower numbers than normal, they have to take delivery, then ship them to the replicator.

There is also the inherent issue that many stores won't stock larger cases anymore, especially for relatively lower selling niche content. Digimon may be selling well, but it's selling well for anime. I'm just glad they didn't use a digipak, as plenty of companies use them for packages with more disks, and they tend to be more fragile. Or even worse... getting it in discount packages (the disks on a small spindle in the case, or in paper sleeves in the case. DVD releases HAVE been released with that packaging.)

ImNotThePro

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just expected it to be bigger because I've never seen a 6+ disk set IRL. Well I did see Batman Beyond and the Transformers Matrix sets, but those come with other special stuff. Just figured to fit 8 into something would be bigger than what it is. I am happy that the case it's in is basically DVD size but a little deeper, this way I can display it with the rest of my collection.

Come to think of it, I'm also glad a digipak wasn't used. This is for the same reason I'm glad they didn't use sleeves... they look ugly. I just hate when CD's are in paper sleeves vs. an actual case. I know it's better for the environment, but I hate the way it looks with my other stuff.

I hope the tiny nitpicks I had with the Adventure set are fixed in 02 & Tamers. My nitpicks were that each DVD had a picture of a kid. Each DVD menu had a picture of a kid as well but some menus though didn't correspond to the disk art. For example Sora's disk menu had Izzy, Izzy's disk menu had Mimi, Mimi's disk menu had Sora, T.K.'s disk menu had Joe, Joe's disk menu had T.K., and I haven't started Kari's disk although I hear the menu has Tai. Tai & Matt's disk menu corresponded with the disk art correctly though. I know this isn't anything major but it was weird.

Last thing I wonder is what will be on the 8 disks? Adventure had 8 kids and 8 disks, so that worked out fine. 02 has 6 kids and 8 disks, so IDK. Tamers has 3 kids with 8 disks, but I guess they could use Ryo, Kazu, and the others for art. This is assuming they'll put art of the kids on the disks.

Dante

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well... I still haven't bought the first two season's yet and they announce Tamers. I need a job. T-T