Digimon Tamers digimon genders

D

dorumon_fanatic

In digimon tamers Renamon clearly stated that digimon are not divided into genders, but look at sakuyamon. When Rika biomerged with Renamon did that mean that she didn't have a gender anymore when she was biomerged? The same would go for Takato, Henry and Ryo.

Raider

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, it's this question again is it? *sigh* I forget the complete five-dozen post replies or so to the original thread, but I think the final discussion was something along the lines of: Digimon don't have genders in the biological sense because they do not need to reproduce in the same way as most complex biological organisms. However, they CAN have feminine or masculine orientations. Therefore, even if a Digimon like Renamon isn't technically a 'girl' in the biological sense, she can still be female in appearance, personality, and all other matters of life. At least that's one take on the subject.

D

dorumon_fanatic

Raider said:
Oh, it's this question again is it?
Can you point me to the thread that has it already asked? I don't remember seeing it anywhere.

Maikeru-chan

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In the case with biomerging, I think that when a human and a Digimon fuse together, the resulting Digimon becomes part human and so becomes the gender of the human it fused with.

Weed-san

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Shirako Takamoto said:
Raider said:
Oh, it's this question again is it?
Can you point me to the thread that has it already asked? I don't remember seeing it anywhere.
It was at the old WtW if i'm not mistaken

MugenSeiRyuu

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maikeru-chan said:
In the case with biomerging, I think that when a human and a Digimon fuse together, the resulting Digimon becomes part human and so becomes the gender of the human it fused with.
i don´t think that it works that way. The human is inside the Digimon. Hybrid Digimon on the other hand clearly have genders. Not sure about Sexes. Eh, Agnimon and Fairymon, could you please try to reproduce ?

gerjomarty

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm just imagining the first things Takuya thought after becoming Agnimon - 'Oh my God, I'm a Digimon!' and 'Why do I feel so incomplete all of a sudden... *realises he no longer has genitalia* ...oh.' I guess the coarsing power of a digimon makes up for it.

I'm of the opinion that the human becomes the digimon in bio-merging, as they technically become one being and that one being's name ends in '-mon'. Therefore they would only have gender too, not sex. Although it would be interesting to see if a male person bio-merged with Renamon whether it would result in Sakuyamon or a mind of male-gender equivalent digimon. That woudl mean that the sex of a human directly influences the digimon, but is not carried over into it.

Gemmaknight22

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tamers was probably only the season that ever addressed the digimon-gender issue. So it can be different from each season. Maybe Frontier, Digimon did have genders. But at the moment, gender is defined by certain sex chromosomes found in the DNA. Since Digimon does not consist of any DNA it does not have a gender. That's by definition.

Raider

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
*shrugs* The binary coding that determines a Digimon's characteristics serve the same purpose as Deoxyribo Nucleic Acid would with Earth-bound lifeforms. Although I suppose in Digimon, DNA would stand for Digitized Numerical Algorithm, or something of that nature ^_^

Eimon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon Natural Ability, actually. ^_^

Although it is possible that digimon could have a "digital gene" that codes for gender (kind of like Pokemon do), evidence seems to indicate that they don't. They do commonly have gender-like attributes incorporated into their appearance/personality, but this is basically just mimicking data from our world (like just about everything in the digital world). Vamdemon looks and acts like a male, but he also looks and acts like a vampire. That doesn't mean he is a vampire, it's all code.

Anyway, I have a feeling I'm rambling, and the question is about as answered as it's going to get, so I'll stop now.

MugenSeiRyuu

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since different laws seem to apply to different Digtal Worlds, there might be actually a few Worlds where the Digimon have actual sexes. This however is not the case for Digimon Story, where Digimon can match to "produce an offspring", but the "gender" of the Digimon deson´t matter.