Digimon Tamers: 1998 RP

viperzerof-2

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Brian Rosato walked into the half empty classroom; he had gone to get milk since lunch would soon follow. He was surprised to see how few of his classmates where still to be found. A few kids were playing board games, reading, or talking with friends. It took him a moment to notice the fairly large group of 6-7 kids crowed in the back of the room.

April in New Jersey was a difficult time to be an elementary school student, the weather was starting to get warmer, but the rain meant recess was still spent inside. It was a dilemma that fifth graders had faced for years and years going back to the beginning of time. However in this little town in New Jersey 1998 was a year unlike the ones before.

Fresh from their cow colored boxes the school children where playing on the new Gateway computers, the first in the school with Internet access. With no recess teachers needed a way for the children to entertain themselves as they took their breaks. On the screen Brian could make out some kind of colored game that everyone seemed interested in.

He took a seat at a nearby desk and quietly watched the other children. Though he was interested, he could never bring himself to go over and ask, maybe if he was invited, but he couldn’t make himself to do it on his own. He settled on overhearing them talking to each other and learned a bit more.”

“I got Agumon, but it would still be kind hard to compete on the network without at least a Champion, that’s when you have some meaningful firepower.”

“The only Champion I ever get is the one that eats crap!”

“Numemon or Sukamon?”

“I wish they would just stay at rookie, better than In-training or the sucky ones!”

“Its so hard to get anything good. At least you can save though.”

Brian couldn’t help but get more interested; the game sounded compelling and involving, which he liked. He got up and moved behind the group to look at the game being played on the screen.

He could see a small Yellow lizard shoot fire at a yellowish bat-type creature. After a few exchanges the bat fell over and disintegrated into what seemed like dust. The lizard absorbed it and the background changed from a desert to a menu with pictures of meat, a toilet, a garbage can, and a few others.
At this point he had to ask, since he really wanted to try the game for himself.

“What game is this?”

Some of the others, the ones not totally engrossed by the game turned around and face him, not realizing he had been standing there.

“Digimon”

“Digimon?”

“yea, it’s a network game, you raise a monster and fight with others online.”

“is it like---“

“no its not like pokemon, you have to take care of them and raise them. Its hard but fun. It’s a lot like Giga Pets.”

That name struck a cord, those little electronic pet toys had been very popular until the schools had banned them, and apparently the computer was a way around that without disrupting class.

Another fight began and the attention of the other children returned to the game. Brian continued to look on for the remainder of the period.

----------------------

Deep in the web, between the Digital World and the Real one, a collection of old data packets, purely by chance collided with each other. Such circumstances had become increasingly common with the networks tremendous growth in the last few years.

When the dust cleared a large white egg with green spots appeared. A Digi-egg, the first in over a decade formed online outside of the Digital World.

“Well that’s interesting”

The voice of a man could be heard, but no one could be seen. Indeed what business would a human have inside the network?

“You guys should grab this one before those hackers find it, they would love to get their hands on a Digi-egg.

A group of glowing Digi-gnomes flew through the sea of information around the egg. Five gnomes grabbed the egg and lifted it into the air as they began to ascend.

“It wouldn’t survive on its own in the Digital World, I would love to see how this one develops but I can’t risk taking it to here. I’ll trust you guys to give it a good home”

----------------------

Though he wanted to download the Digimon game as soon as he had gotten home, Brian’s family’s slow internet meant he needed to wait for everyone to go to turn in before he could download the game for fear of making the phone unusable. His room was dark, the only light coming from the monitor and a little bit from under the door where his father was watching the late news.

“Yet another series of disturbances as the New York subway system temporarily shut down. Authorities’ have yet to determine if this is in someway related to other resent failures in electronic systems or even a deliberate act by some unknown group….”

His old Mac IIci had taken quite a while to download everything, but it now seemed like everything was ready to go. After all the set backs and frustration, he was genuinely proud of himself. A Menu popped up, it had no text, only pictures of what seemed to be Easter eggs. One of them a white one with Green spots caught his eye and he clicked it.

“um ok.”

For a moment nothing happened, then the other eggs disappeared. His egg moved to the center of the screen and a desert appeared around it. Their was a short pause. Brian moved his face nearer to the screen, than the egg shook.

A crack appeared on the left side of the egg, then more all over the surface. Hunks broke off of and fell to the ground. A Black object appeared in the middle and pushed the top half of the egg up. Before he knew it the Black object had two yellow eyes. Another window appeared next to the Digimon client, an Email.

“HELLO!”

Blaise2003

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Stephen Ross was sick, pretty sick. He had to miss school today and had been in his room with his laptop for most of the day. He even had to have lunch in his room because he was too out of it to even get out of bed, but he was feeling relatively better right now.

Stephen had decided to check out this new Digimon game on the PC, as he had the keychain V-PET, and was curious to see what was different.

It took a fair amount of time too download the game, about a half hour. He double clicked the icon on his home screen, it looked like a V-PET. The game booted up, and there was a white backround with various eggs. He picked out the one that had a calico coloring to it.

The egg sat there for a few minutes then started to crack, which startled him.

A little yellow and purple blob with a tail popped out of the egg, it kinda looked like a cat. Letters spelling hello floated next to the little creature, followed by an email popping up next to the game window.

(Was it fine? :D)

Gigamon23

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[R0bb33: hey u ready to play?]

The message popped up on Yahoo! Messenger almost as soon as Nick had logged onto his PC. Geez, how did Rob get home so fast? Now that they attended Highland High, Rob’s house was farther from school than Nick’s was!

He kicked his school bag, full now with syllabus papers from all seven of his classes, away from his feet. Criminy, seven classes! All in different classrooms! How was he going to keep up with it all? He could already tell that high school was going to be a bigger pain than middle school had ever been. At least they had better computers, from what he’d seen.

A ping from his computer’s speakers marked the arrival of another message. Before looking at it, Nick clicked the egg-shaped icon on his desktop titled “Digital Monster Ver. PC”. It would take some time to load, and in the meantime, he could chat with Rob.

[R0bb33: whats the holdup, man? I’m waiting!]

[nickZ09: chill dude, I gotta log on still. your guy evolve yet?]

There was another ping as Rob answered, but at that moment, Nick’s mother called out from the kitchen area downstairs.

“Nick! I don’t want you playing that game again, its homework time!” Her tone was earnest, though with a note of panic, as if once Nick logged on, he wouldn't be able to hear her demands. (Which, to be fair, was actually pretty likely.) “Come down and show me what you have to work on!”

Nick looked to the ceiling, searching in vain for some sort of divine aid to deliver him from the torture of first-day assignments. He knew, however, that he would not get any peace for the evening unless he reported on his workload, and promised to work on it before any games. He turned back to the monitor, read Rob’s message, and explained his dilemma.

[R0bb33: nah, he’s still got a little time left. Hopefully today, though!]

[nickZ09: good, I don’t want your guy getting ahead of my Calcifer! gtg, my mom wants to have an interrogation session before I play. XP ]

[R0bb3: lame. hurry back—I wanna beat your guy so mine can evolve!]

[nickZ09: k, kewl]

Just as Nick got up to head downstairs, the Digimon window changed from “loading…” to a view of his Digimon, whom he’d named Calcifer. Calcifer was still at the rookie stage---a Candlemon roaming around the screen, against a desert-style background. Nick smiled—Calcifer and he had won plenty against his other friends, but most of them had quit playing when their Digimon kept dying and evolving into bad characters. Rob and he were the only two left of their local friends who played with any regularity.

Nick longed to stay and battle with Rob and Calcifer, but his mother’s calls were getting more insistent and impatient, and soon she would resort to threats against his computer. Sighing heavily, Nick grabbed his backpack and hurried down the stairs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had Nick turned around as he left the room, he might’ve noticed the perturbed and rather put off expression on Calcifer’s face at watching his tamer leave the room.

Last edited:

Blaise2003

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Stephen double-clicked the email, it was some random mumbo jumbo about ads, he deleted it. He looked back at the Digimon game, a small text box appeared with "NAME:" next to it. "Well... hm... Aha!" he thought as he typed in "Felicity".

When he clicked enter, the little cat like digimon jumped up and down happily. Stephen fed the little monster, cleaned up its waste, etc.

After awhile of playing, and looking around on the internet, he heard a couple of beeps and looked back at the game window. His digimon seemed to be glowing, it started to take another form.

After a couple of seconds of beeping and various on-screen animations, the digimon finalized its evolution, or digivolution. It kinda looked like a dog with a golden leash.

(hey, gigamon23? can our characters be friends? :D)

Lord Archfiend Kliff

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Dereck was pissed, another day had gone bye and nobody had traded a Bulbasaur with him, he was never gonna complete the Pokédex at that rate.

"It was because of those stupid Pokémon copycats, they don't even have good graphics they're like little dots and they die, that's stupid, imagine working hard on your Digimon and then have him dying, why had it to be now? I just got my Gameboy, I tried to fit in... maybe... that game is stupid.. I'm not touching that crap again..." however a feeling of loneliness and sadness took over him, "Maybe I'm just a bit grumpy, I should at least check that stupid Gebumon or whatever... maybe it's still alive..."

He rolled off bed and turned on the computer he had no homework and he couldn't make progress on the Pokédex by himself so it wasn't like he was loosing much, it was fairly quick to find that Dingo was literally swimming in shit, a miracle he hadn't evolved to Scumon yet, that Digimon was weird it was like someone was afraid of being itself using someone else's skin to protect itself specially since what was under that pelt was a cool lizard, not much could be done though, Dingo was doomed to drown in poop if he wasn't going to evolve, that became even more clear after his amazing loosing streak.

In a last effort, sent a message to some of his friends online that had more knowledge than him:

[BlackDRK: Anyone, how can I make my shitty Gabumon evolve he can't even fight, HELP!!!1!!]

Blaise2003

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Stephen trained his Digimon untill it couldn't train anymore. He fed it some meat and cleaned up its poop. He watched as it fell asleep and turned the light off. He minimized the window and looked at some stuff online about the game, seeing if there was any specific evolution lines for this game so he could see what his Digimon, Felicity, would turn into.

"Huh, thats odd. Seems that there isn't any evolutionary line for my digimon..." he mumbled as he closed the internet window. He clicked back to the window to see the lights on and Felicity yapping at the screen. He tried to feed it. Nope. He tried to give it a pill. Nope. "What does it want?" he thought. "Maybe... it wants to battle?" he said. He could of sworn it nodded at him. He clicked on the battle icon and clicked "Internet"

It loaded for a bit until it found a match. It was a Agumon. He watched as they battled it out for about three minutes until the Agumon fell over with a skull icon over its head. It shifted back over to Felicity, jumping happily.

After the battle ended, he patched up his Digimon.

(Well, hope that was ok. :) )

Last edited:

viperzerof-2

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Brian ran home from school as fast as he could, he had spent the entire day thinking about his new Digimon and not he would have the chance to play. He entered the house, tossed his backpack to the side and ran upstairs.

“I’m home!”

No answer, he was alone. Except Koromon anyway.

On his computer he clicked on the Digimon Ver.PC client. The small V-pet screen expanded into a small pink creature bouncing around in the desert.

“Hi Brian! Your back! Where were you?”

He smiled and than grabbed his keyboard to type.

“School”

“What’s that?”

“A place you learn stuff”

“What’s that like”

“It sucks L”

Brian looked at his friend; a day earlier he morphed from a black creature to this pink one and learned to talk. Brian wasn’t sure if it would continue.”

“You didn’t change again?”

“I don’t think that will happen for a while, but do you have anything I could eat?”

As Koromon said that a thought bubble with a piece of meat appeared over his head. Brian clicked on the icon that feed his Digimon and food materialized in front of him. So far taking care of the little creature had been easy, but he didn’t know what to expect from him.

“So you still don’t remember where you came from?”

While continuing eating the creature responded

“Na, nothing from before I hatched.”

The entire situation had Brian stumped. The creature knew how to speak, eat, and fight and other things, but it had no idea where it came from or what it would become. Sometimes it knew a lot about the world around it but other times it was as confused as he was. He certainly liked to ask questions though, “what’s this or that? Why do you do this??

“Did you join the board yet?”

Brian had forgotten about that, the program had an icon that connected the game to a message board. He had lerked for a few days but had yet to post, wasn’t sure what to say.

“I suppose I should get on that.”

As his partner continued his meal Brian gazed at the screen, wondering what to say. After a few minutes he thought he had something.

“Hello, its nice to be on this site and to play Digimon online. I was wondering if anyone would give me some basic information on Digimon, I’m new to this. I understand it’s a lot like Tamagotchi but how is it different? What about combat? Does anyone have an interest in playing together?“

Brian looked at what he wrote for a second, and then thought to add a little more.

“Also does anyone else’s Digimon talk to them?”

Blaise2003

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After doodling around on his Gameboy playing tetris, Stephen heard his game window beep and looked at it and watched as his digimon started talking to him. "Hi there!" text appeared on screen. A moment passed. "Do you know how to talk to me?" Stephen shook his head, feeling as if it would understand. "Just use your big button thingy!" Felicity said. The keyboard? No, it couldn't work... could it? He typed "Is this working?". Felicity jumped up and down happily. "Yay! I heard you!!"

Suddenly, his game window beeped as the chat icon lit up. Is there someone else? He clicked on it as a separate window appeared. He saw the message. "I know how to play this game, I had the keychain pets! Also, yea, my digimon seems to be talking to me, too, it's really cool! I didn't even know this could be programmed." he typed.

Last edited:

Tyilinmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
“Hello, its nice to be on this site and to play Digimon online. I was wondering if anyone would give me some basic information on Digimon, I’m new to this. I understand it’s a lot like Tamagotchi but how is it different? What about combat? Does anyone have an interest in playing together? Also does anyone else’s Digimon talk to them?”

Mike read the message in the chat of the Digimon game. He typed:

"Yeah, they're like tamagotchi but instead of play with them you have to train them so they can become stronger to win battles and evolve. My Digimon is still small he can't even fight yet. I hope he evolves soon. And he doesn't talk to me. o_o"

When he finished writing a beep sound came from the speakers. Mike went back to the window with a desert background where Albert, his Tokomon, was. Three words were floating over his head:

"I am hungry"

Mike began to move the mouse in the direction of the feed button but before he clicked it the message changed:

"Give me something to eat"

"Okay" said Mike, then he clicked the button. A piece of meat appeared on the screen. Albert ate it. Then another message appeared on the screen:

"You didn't tell me your name."

How was he supposed to tell him? He tried typing, then what he wrote appeared below Albert:

"Mike"

"Hello Mike!" said the Tokomon.

----

Off: I edited because I thought it was odd before.

Last edited: