Digimon Survive Preview from Weekly Famitsu

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Compares to most previous games, 100 is sorta disappointing you know? It's too... Small. Still survive genre is fun but once the whole game reached at the end or after Extra/Bonus stories beaten, that's all it is there for... So it needs more like something fishing you to keep playing for hours for example, DW1's efforts in raising. DW2's painful grinding EXP. DW3's raising stats and huge roaming maps. DS/Cyber Sleuth games have devolutions.

I think I played few survive genre but after final story chapters, there is nothing to play next, yeah...? Or I'm not hardcore enough to be Survive genre lover/player?
Oh whatever but I think Digimon Survive would have new interesting elements to keep you enough interested to keep play for hours besides Super Robot War series-like tactic....

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh whatever but I think Digimon Survive would have new interesting elements to keep you enough interested to keep play for hours besides Super Robot War series-like tactic....
Yeah, it’s called a story lol. The game focuses on storytelling and the characters, has branching paths and different endings. So the game can be played multiple times to experience those different endings. It sounded like evolutions you unlock in one playthroigh carry over so eventually you’d be able to have access to them all.

And about the 100 number, just think about it like this: there’s, at most, 7 or so important characters (based on the intro they released) who may have partner Digimon. If they’re all Child/Rookie level, we’re going to see them evolve 3 times most likely to reach Ultimate/Mega in one line. 7 times 4 is 28. So there’s going to be about 70 other Digimon obtainable just based on branching paths and the effect on certain Digimon based on the decisions you make.

If there were, say, 300 obtainable Digimon like the Cyber Sleuth games, imagine how many story decisions it would take to influence those Digimon, it’s not even feasible. 100 is actually a huge number when you really consider it. If you split it evenly, you could come to the conclusion that each partner Digimon (provided that there are exactly 7) will each get 4 Adult/Champion levels, 4 Perfect/Ultimate levels, and 4 Ultimate/Mega levels on average.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mmm now it does sound like it's almost DW1-ish efforts. But honestly, with skip features, it'll turn into huge speedruns. If Hard level mode actually have some differences to affect the entire game then I'm all for it.

Unlocking is pretty much fun but I still want this Survive game to be separated from SWR-like elements. Like Auto-Skip Battle animations and Repeat Tactic on Auto. Or dramatic comboing scenes should get me good. If it got nasty features will delay you to increase wariness to be careful not to lose, it'll be fun... Sadistic.