Digimon Survive Discussion Thread

Geode

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My favorite line with Agumon in the game would be harmonious line with Tyrannomon, I'm hoping for more Digimon to be added in a future DLC after Guilmon.

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My favorite line with Agumon in the game would be harmonious line with Tyrannomon, I'm hoping for more Digimon to be added in a future DLC after Guilmon.
I heard that there's no DLC planned for the game.

grendel

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
-A lot of the prose is tedious and repetitive.
-Also has moments where it pivots into more poetic, elevated prose, which makes no sense if you assume everything is written from takuma's pov
The first point is my main gripe with the game, though I find this to be the case with a lot of Japanese Games.
But the characters are well-developed, and there's a quirkiness to the dialogue that keeps it fun even when it waffles on a bit.
I don't so much agree with the second part, partly because there are sections that obviously aren't written from Takuma's perspective.

Fair enough, there is a decent amount of head hopping. But that feels more natural than the shifts to omniscient (?) when describing areas. Plus, I dunno, it's a visual novel, you shouldn't need to set the scene with prose, the artwork does that for you. Or it should.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Fair enough, there is a decent amount of head hopping. But that feels more natural than the shifts to omniscient (?) when describing areas. Plus, I dunno, it's a visual novel, you shouldn't need to set the scene with prose, the artwork does that for you. Or it should.
That's not how most VNs work, really.
They are still predominantly novels and usually don't skimp on descriptive prose either. Artwork tends to be more of a supporting factor, and sometimes the art used backgrounds is just stock images or just a general approximation of what a location or thing is meant to look like with the narration describing the actual details. There's no stock/generic art in Survive of course, but the stylistic approach remains.

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's not how most VNs work, really.
They are still predominantly novels and usually don't skimp on descriptive prose either. Artwork tends to be more of a supporting factor, and sometimes the art used backgrounds is just stock images or just a general approximation of what a location or thing is meant to look like with the narration describing the actual details. There's no stock/generic art in Survive of course, but the stylistic approach remains.
I’m not super deep into VNs (Pheonix Wright, SteinsGate, and Dangaan are pretty much the extent of my experience) but Survive is definitely the best looking VN I’ve ever seen. The “visual” in a lot of VNs is usually static images over a handful of 2D stock backgrounds.

grendel

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Admittedly the one VN I've played was Fate/Stay Night, and that was years ago. From what I remember, it blended description and background art together fairly well. Here it feels jarring and random, and, as mentioned, most of the art isn't stock footage either.