Digimon Survive Discussion Thread

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We are only a couple of days from Digimon Survive being out (July 28th in Japan and July 29th worldwide). Therefore it is time for the discussion thread related to Survive.

Any spoilers must be in spoiler tags. Anyone not using spoiler tags will have their post removed and anything else that quotes it will also go. Do not ask for spoilers as these posts will also be removed.

After a week or two we will likely lift needed spoiler tags.

The game has a primary focus on story and character interactions. The gameplay, as stated by the producer & other dev staff, is roughly 70% visual novel & 30% strategy/tactical RPG.

In the first play through you have 3 potential routes, which you get shunted to in the later part of the game based on your actions earlier in the game. The decisions change potential evolutions and character endings. After the first play through, future play-through have the potential of a 4th ending.

Digimon can be added to your team that are not partners to a character, but the overall number of Digimon in the game is smaller than many games, 113 total. It is not generally speaking a game with collecting monsters as an overall focus. Digimon Survive is a single player game.

The pre-order bonus is Guilmon & an HP support item. The bonus will be available for physical pre-orders & digital copies sold in roughly the first month. Based on early copies, it appears there is no physical slip, so stores you pre-order from likely will email the code at release, or give it to you on a receipt at pickup. Check with your retailer you pre-ordered with to know if they are taking part.

Outside of the pre-order bonus, no DLC is planned for the game.

Respect your fellow posters!

Digimon Survive can be pre-ordered at Amazon.com: (affiliate links)
Digimon Survive for Switch
Digimon Survive for PS4
Digimon Survive for Xbox One

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've been tweeting spoiler free on the WtW Twitter my general feelings as I've been playing it since the copy I bought came early.

Will likely embed most of those here in a day or so when I have time.

Update- My various tweets on it, and some responses to questions. Been busy, so this is mostly a spoiler free 'first impressions.

I'm sure I had other tweets, but these are some of the ones that might give you a spoiler free early look. I believe I pasted a few out of order.

Last edited:

KageX

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So cancelled my Physical Order as it turns out if you buy it Digitally on any Platform in the First Month you get the Pre Order Bonus of Guilmon and an HP Item.

That makes things a hell of a lot easier for everyone.

Mattman324

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mine will be in when I get off work on Friday, which will be nice.

The Krookodile Hunter

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Getting it digitally on PS4 when my next paycheck clears this upcoming Thursday...

shad

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have been looking through the ps store and haven't found any trace of a digital version of the game. Are you sure they are gonna release one? (maybe it's region capped...)

MasterOfTartarus

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
is it still to early to ask on how the dialogue and story is? previous Digimon games kinda had a serious problem with boring me to death with pointless talking (see Cyber sleuth side quests)
also is the gamplay more like FE (hate it) or more like Disgaea(love it)?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There’s a lot of talking. They weren’t kidding about more talking than fighting. Of course, the localization doesn’t do it any favors, but I’m enjoying myself reasonably well.

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I liked the
Free Battle Area
in Part 1, meant i could battle as much as i wanted and then progress the story. I have just finished Part 1 after maybe 4hrs playing??

Golden_Fate

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On Part 3 now.
I am absolutely crazy about this version of Lopmon, he is sickeningly cute!
I want to punch Shuuji for being mean to that poor, poor adorable little bunny!

Mattman324

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Seems I didn't get the preorder bonus. Oh well. I don't really need another game with Guilmon in it, realistically.

Maliant

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There’s a lot of talking. They weren’t kidding about more talking than fighting. Of course, the localization doesn’t do it any favors, but I’m enjoying myself reasonably well.
Yeah, it's definitely more of a visual novel than it is a game, which I'm fine with since I love visual novels. Even VNDB put it up on their site, and they're usually elitists about which games are considered "true" visual novels and which aren't.

Commonusername

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I finish the game and i think i want to make review, first I wanted to say i love the visual novel elements and lopmon.

okay now I start the pro my review is the story really good and the tactical battle also engaging but only in hard deficulty, on normal difficulty and below technically you can just swoop in without grinding, the composition of the game is text 60 percent and tactical 40 percent that you can go by free battle, story and mugen recollection on new game plus and personally as old tactical player this vibe reminding me of shin megami tensei devil survivor series on nds, fire emblem GBA, and final fantasy tactic both GBA PS1 and PSP which is good for me, if you feel the battle pretty hard the dev pretty kind allow you to restart the battle so it's good for new player. During conversation for raising characters affection level you can also save because this is visual novel so no worry if you pick wrong decisions just go reload the save.

The con is the negotiation system make the game easier for players to get digimon but also make grinding to find evolution item for digimon almost pointless lucky not all digimon appear in encounter free battle but appears on shadow encounter which is more harder to find, the second con for me is the battle not really challenging for me because i can just swoop in the enemy most of the time even on hard difficulty but once again this is personal opinion and mainly my own subjective experience so another person may have another opinion about the battle based on their experience, because it's visual novel mean it's not for everybody because you need a constantly reading the text and conversation

My personal score for this game is 7.5 and i honestly hope this game sell well and will have sequel

Stay healthy everyone 👍🙂

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I started playing survive yesterday. It looks decent in 4K the PC port is actually pretty good (although there are a few annoying gripes but those probably deserve to be posted separately) and overall I'm having a good time.
And while I might have poked around in the assets for generic Digimon battle sprites I didn't touch any story CGs or read the script so I am going in mostly blind, not having looked at that many spoilers (except one or two very vague lore and translation related ones).

I am at the beginning of Part 2 and the game has seemingly introduced all important human characters.
I think I still need another while to critique the gameplay itself, but there has already been plenty of story and dialogue so that's already worth talking about.
Now let's assume assume the story is a well written mystery. In a well written mystery the keys to figuring out said mystery are laid out fairly early and I think Survive has provided some interesting clues about the setting and some characters.
So here are my speculations about what is going on based on the information presented at the start of part 2 (which I guess is spoilers for the prologue and part 1 I guess):

First and foremost I don't see any of the protagonists from the school trip having some mysterious past connection to the digital world and hiding their knowledge or anything like that, which would have been rather cheap writing, so that's nice.

Kaito and Miu are a bit of a special case, they might know a bit more but they have both been very vocal about their families not being from there, so even though they have some idea about the shrine and the beliefs there but I don't think they knew about the Digimon. Kaito was mad that Miu went to the shrine but not "she is going to be eaten by otherdimensional spiders" kind of mad.
Anyway, if it is important that Kaito and Miu are not locals then that might imply that anyone who is a local might know much more about what is going on, even if it's just because they could ask their grandparents about it.
The other way them not being locals could come back in a way that isn't just about generic knowledge about Kemonogami is if the actual locals are actually directly involved in the disappearances. I'm not sure how much this game wants to go into the "humans are the real monsters" territory but I guess it's possible that, with the shrine being kind of hard to reach, children are not just randomly wandering in but that there's some local cult still actively sacrificing people to the Digimon, more specifically to the Holy Beasts but the particulars are not yet what interests me. But that doesn't jive with the professor getting official permission to research the shrine, or the older locals mentioning that the area is dangerous to kids right in front of a cop, so I think that this conspiracy angle is less likely. But I'll come back to that.

For now let's talk about Haru, Miyuki and the professor, these three will doubtlessly turn out to be very important to the plot.
On this topic, I'm not sure why the characters ruled out so easily that Haru and Miyuki could be ghosts. They are not see-through or spooky right now, but what do the others know about ghosts anyway?

But my big hunch is about the Professor:
He mentions that he just got permission to research the shrine (he might be lying but I think that is unlikely), but he's already "shunned" by the scientific community. He hasn't said why but it is fairly obvious that this is because he believes Digimon are real.
But this does not (yet) make sense. The story goes out of its way to tell you how the belief in the Kemonogami/Digimon is a local thing, and no one else even knows about the shrine etc.
So if Digimon worship is a local phenomenon, and the Professor hasn't researched the shrine before because he couldn't get permission, then on what basis did he get "shunned" for his opinions? Technically it could be another reason like plagiarism or genuine bullshitting but not only would that not really have relevance to the plot, it also does not seem like they are presenting him as a crackpot. The writing so far seems to go for the "he's reasonable but has information the mainstream can't accept" kind of character. So how does he know about Digimon?

And then there is the fact that the credits and dialogue don't reveal his name. Usually there are two possible reasons for this: Either the character is not important enough to have a name or the name itself is a spoiler. The professor is set up to be pretty important as far as I can tell. The animated scene in the opening that introduced him is not something that they would have wasted on some random side character. Which is why I am also fairly certain that the Gottsumon did not kill him, because he really hasn't done anything of note yet. 90% of what he revealed about the Kemonogami belief (basically everything besides translating the digimoji) is stuff that the protagonists could have figured out for themselves based on the murals, so there's no way his role is done after that.
He's going to be important and he knows about Digimon even though he has not yet researched the shrine. So he has to have had some previous run-in with Digimon.
Based on this reasoning my guess is the Professor is Haru.

Think about it, in the prologue we saw Haru get away from the spirit frog thing and while we possibly have his ghost running around in the present I don't really buy that from a writing perspective. Why show him getting into that portal vowing to save his sister when later they are just going to reveal that the portal just spat him out in front of another spirit frog that killed him a few minutes later? Him getting away has to have some sort of significance.
It would make more sense if he actually got away into the human world and ended up researching the Kemonogami belief for the next 50 years still hoping to rescue his sister. whatever the "kid" Haru in the present is, it's not actually him, his demeanor is just too different. Now you could argue that being trapped in another dimension with monsters for decades messes with your head but I really don't think that's what's going on. I'm fairly certain that the Miyuki is a proper ghost though. Based on how "sketchy" Haru is acting I could imagine that he is in reality one of those weird spirit frogs taking his appearance or something while the real benevolent ghost of Miyuki is influencing him and stopping him from being malicious or something along those lines. Not sure where their (ex-)partners would be but given how much time has passed I could imagine they might return naturally evolved in some other form later.

Back to the Professor, some of his weird behavior can be explained rather well if we assume that he is an older Haru. There is the way he interacts with Saki, even offering to carry her. Now he might be a pervert (on a mountain no less) or it could also be that he's acting weird because he's projecting his regret about not having saved his sister onto her. This would also explain him being so adamant about sacrificing himself, something that even with the "I'm an adult" reasoning seemed rather extreme, but seen as an reversal of what Miyuki did for him it's again more understandable
I also thought that when the professor's hat fell of he had a similar hairstyle to Haru. But it's anime designs and they just love to just love the weird trope where a person can only have a variations of a single hairstyle their entire life.

I am not exactly certain what is going on with those spirit frogs in general. They seem to be the ones that are really into the spiriting away children aspect and that could be because "The gods are getting angry because they are not getting enough respect nowadays" could be the case but it also seems overly simplistic.
If there turns out to be some local cult sacrificing kids then I'm pretty sure that they would also be controlling the purple frogs. And who knows, maybe they lured the Professor into the shrine on purpose to get rid of him.

That is... if the professor isn't behind it himself. I think this is kind of a long shot as well, but he was weirdly specific about not doing anything "nefarious" which is potentially a red flag. This would not contradict him being Haru in my opinion. I could imagine that, like in adventure, the digital world has a habit of only opening for kids, so maybe after having failed to get his sister back for decades Haru/the professor has gone mad and is ready to basically sacrifice the protagonists to get the gate to open to get to Miyuki. Not sure where that leaves the purple frog spirits though.

Bancho

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
spoiler free gameplay changes I would make:

so there was one thing I thought the game was going to have that it didn't because I didn't watch gameplay footage to avoid spoilers: I thought you could actually walk around in the overworld.
if you look up Danganronpa footage, it looks a lot like Survive with 2D assets in a 3D space except you can actually walk around in those spaces. I assumed since Survive was copying the look of Danganronpa, that you would be walking around the spaces in Survive too during Free Time but you can't and I feel like this makes the game feel more restrictive with less engaging interaction. I feel like if you had more control in these segments, people would be just a little less burnt out with the heavy visual novel aspects. It doesn't seem like a significant difference but it can go a long way.

Also, I really wish they would make a patch for all the grammar mistakes in the game because there's a lot that I'm surprised were missed that I feel like I myself wouldn't have missed if I was proofreading this game. For a visual novel, grammar mistakes are going to stick out way more than they would in other types of games.

I also wish the correct questions to recruit monsters didn't feel as random. Maybe in the corner they can say the monster's personality archetype to help you select question answers? Anything to lessen the amount of times a player would restart battles when they mess up a question.

Finally, I would have shadow encounters be more rare but contain more rare encounters and I would give this game online battles only because I really like the battle system in Survive and would like to play against real people

grendel

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Overall impressions so far (got up to chapter five):

love the character designs. kaito especially, I'm a sucker for characters with clearly dyed hair. and his roots are showing! he just like me fr

the tactical aspects are dull

a lot of the prose is tedious and repetitive. also has moments where it pivots into more poetic, elevated prose, which makes no sense if you assume everything is written from takuma's pov

the music shifts while switching between maps is jarring and ruins the tense atmosphere

poor ryo :(

shuuji is well-constructed, I'm fascinated and repulsed by him in equal measure. feels like a stinging indictment of the kohai-senpai system. the use of metaphor with his arc is perhaps the best in a digimon property

love the varied relationships between the children and their digimon

love the way evolution trees work and how you shift between forms during fights

not too keen on the setting and how removed the digital aspect feels. sometimes feels like it's embarrassed to be digimon

mixed bag so far, but having a good time overall

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Praises:

All of the characters are written great. I love that like Tamers, Ghost Game, and Xross Wars all of the Digimon Partners have their own personalities that aren't just carbon copies of their humans. Except for Aoi, and people actually point out that Aoi and Labramon get along the best and agree the most out of all of the pairs.

This is the ONLY version of Agumon I've ever cared about - both because he's written and performed better than usual and you don't have to mess with Greymon forms.

The voice acting is pretty good, but there are times when you can tell lines were delivered remotely, probably due to COVID. Shuuji's voice actor in particular is pretty amazing.

The artwork is amazing.

Criticisms:
* My only major narrative pet peeve: The Digimon explicitly being part of their human's "being" is kind of weird. I honestly don't like it. I realize it was based on the Golden Compass Daemon system. However, in the Golden Compass there were no "wild Daemons". There were unsubstantiated rumors of Daemons existing in the wild without humans, but the story made it quite clear those were fairy tales. Digimon literally being part of a human's "soul" or whatever means that partner Digimon are basically an entirely separate species than wild Digimon. From that perspective, Partner Digimon are basically alien creatures vaguely in the shape of "real" Digimon and from the perspective of "real" Digimon that should probably be more horrifying if you stopped to think about it - human children are aliens that project artificial clones of your species that beat the crap out of you. From that perspective it's almost a Lovecraftian horror story from the perspective of wild Digimon. In settings where partnership is a consentual choice like Tamers, Ghost Game, and Xross Wars this isn't an issue.

* The combat is bad because every Digimon has one attack. You know it, everyone knows it. The thing is, the attack medals that grant moves from the CyberSleuth series are programmed into the game so the data is there. I don't understand why they couldn't do four inherent moves for every species and then save the medals for additional customization. The maps for most conflicts are also far too big - like they were designed for all 8 protagonist Digimon at the same time. It shouldn't take 2-3 turns in a turn based strategy game to reach the dang enemy to actually do combat.

* Chapter 5 is . . . bad. Awful bad. The worst part of the game. There's nothing more annoying than a maze and in addition everyone is horribly out of character. The scene at the end is the ONLY redeeming quality of that part of the game.

* Agumon having the only Data/Virus/Vaccine split is really lame. It would have made re-playing through the game a little more interesting if every character had a Wrath/Harmony/Moral evolution line. I realize that for some of them that's super difficult if you want to stick to old designs (like when the game was being developed there were NO Vaccine Plant Themed Digimon for Floramon or Data Insect-Themed Digimon for Ryo) but that's where new designs should have come in. Nostalgia is one thing, but having ONE new Digimon in a Digimon game is sort of a disappointment. At the very least, the final route should've had
4-5 new Holy Beasts or a Holy Beast "Apprentice" group so every character could have gotten one
. It's also kind of annoying to have a revival of the Tyrannomon fandom and still no new Tyrannomon species since Rust, and this would've been a perfect debut stage.
* For a game that was supposed to be themed around nature and that left out a Metal Empire Partner to align with that there's way too many Cyborg Digimon (and Guardromon for some reason?) running around.

Last edited:

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sounds like Survive is a mixed bag so far, which at least saves it from being a bad game but not sure if this makes it worse or not.

Bancho

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
* My only major narrative pet peeve: The Digimon explicitly being part of their human's "being" is kind of weird. I honestly don't like it. I realize it was based on the Golden Compass Daemon system. However, in the Golden Compass there were no "wild Daemons". There were unsubstantiated rumors of Daemons existing in the wild without humans, but the story made it quite clear those were fairy tales. Digimon literally being part of a human's "soul" or whatever means that partner Digimon are basically an entirely separate species than wild Digimon. From that perspective, Partner Digimon are basically alien creatures vaguely in the shape of "real" Digimon and from the perspective of "real" Digimon that should probably be more horrifying if you stopped to think about it - human children are aliens that project artificial clones of your species that beat the crap out of you. From that perspective it's almost a Lovecraftian horror story from the perspective of wild Digimon. In settings where partnership is a consentual choice like Tamers, Ghost Game, and Xross Wars this isn't an issue.
this is the one part of your review where I heavily disagree. There are characters who have made a ton of impact on the playerbase that would not have had the execution they had if the digimon partners weren't a reflection of one's self. Digimon partners bringing out what the human characters either need in terms of support or need to address about themselves makes for some really good story writing for the human characters as it can either make apparent to other characters and the audience the less favorable sides to somebody that they're trying to keep hidden or help personal growth that a human character might not have accomplished on their own. I also like how the digimon characters also struggle with this connection and need to learn how to develop their own sense of selves despite this oddity.

For the creep factor on wild digimon, I really don't see this as a bad thing. It's a valid point that creates a really interesting topic that can be explored in any digimon media both official or unofficial that adopts the themes of partner connection that Survive has. We've already seen a lot of instances all across Digimon media before where wild digimon or digimon who reject their human partners express that they find human/digimon connection unnatural or disturbing and we've also seen domesticated digimon having trouble relating to wild digimon. Seeing this taken a step further can create even more interesting questions as to how humans and partnered digimon look from the point of wild digimon and honestly I find that super interesting. Uncanny elements are also right at home in this particular universe.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
-A lot of the prose is tedious and repetitive.
-Also has moments where it pivots into more poetic, elevated prose, which makes no sense if you assume everything is written from takuma's pov
The first point is my main gripe with the game, though I find this to be the case with a lot of Japanese Games.
But the characters are well-developed, and there's a quirkiness to the dialogue that keeps it fun even when it waffles on a bit.
I don't so much agree with the second part, partly because there are sections that obviously aren't written from Takuma's perspective.

Lots of people have said the SRPG sections are very basic.
Thankfully, I haven't played any other SRPGs, and couldn't tell. I thought they were a lot of fun.
Sometimes a straggler would drag things out as they retreated to a corner, but other than that, no problems for me.
And I adored the art style. The 2D chibis had a lot of charm and personality. I came away from the game with a few new favourites.

I have some issues with the way the split timeline works.
I wonder if at some point it was meant to be a bit more extensive but had to be simplified.
Getting back to the end of Chapter 9 was a bit of a drag by the third playthrough, and the standard routes were little samey up to the library section, but it was always fun once the events really started to diverge in the later chapters.

Overall, enjoyed the game a lot, but not without it's foibles.