Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With a few days of Hacker's Memory information showing up, details have become a bit jumbled, so I figured making a cleaned up post thread would help, especially since we have a ton of new information now. Plus... details about it being released outside of Japan!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth- Hacker's Memory is currently scheduled for 2017 for Playstation 4 and Playstation Vita in Japan.

The game's official blurb describes it as such:
As part of the Digimon Story series, the basic concept of Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (released March 2015) has been, until now, an “Adventure”, “Training” and “Battle” RPG where you collect Digimon. The theme of it being a game for “Digimon fans who have become adults” has allowed for this to be reflected in the appearance of the world in the game and the game platforms on a large scale, making it highly valued by many Digimon fans.

Using the world and game platform from Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth as a base, a new story will be developed as a new entry for the Cyber Sleuth series.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

From the point of view of a new protagonist, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth- Hacker's Memory will tell a story that happened on the 'other side' of the events depicted in Cyber Sleuth.

The blurb for this does not currently explain what this means: Does it take place during Cyber Sleuth? Does it reveal some heretofore unknown secret or event? Or is it metaphorical, simply meant to expand upon the next detail we've been told...

As the line dividing the real world and cyberspace grows ever thinner in this near-future Tokyo, the player becomes part of a new generation of hackers and will use Digimon, AI computer virus' born out of cyberspace, to go up against opposing hackers and Digimon to solve incidents which arise.

This new protagonist is not a hero chosen to save the world. He will face the dangers of the world head-on, even as they challenge his values and what he has known and believed in up until now, all while struggling to protect his friends, family, and his place in the world.

As you travel between the real world and cyberspace to resolve various incidents, you must discover the identity of the hacker who set you up.

Keisuke Amazawa is the official name of our new 'not a hero'. You will be able to change his name to whatever you wish.

Keisuke will not wear the traditional style of goggles we know from the franchise, but he has a VR headset around his neck that he will also wear at times during the game.

The three starter Digimon are well known Digimon from the franchise: Tentomon, Betamon, and Gotsumon. Images suggest you are partnered with all three of them, but that isn't confirmed.

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

The most recent V-Jump has included many details (many of which have been clarified and included elsewhere in this article), including our first visuals of new Digimon.

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

The official site for the game is up, which has revealed the first few screenshots, along with a few others via Gamer.

We're also gotten our first video footage. It isn't a trailer, but the official site has video playing in the background. It has no audio, but we've ripped it out and put it up for you to see. If the embed doesn't work you can view it here.

The official site also included a stack of comparisons between Hacker's Memory and the original Cyber Sleuth. All of the Hacker's Memory details are preliminary and may change, since the game is still being made.

Hacker's Memory will also include the original Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth. The Playstation 4 version of the game was not previously released in Japan.

Hacker's Memory will tell its brand new story in 18 chapters compared to Cyber Sleuth's 20. (I'll use HM and CS from here on out in the comparison.)

HM will have roughly 70 sub-quests, the same rough number given for CS.
Of those, roughly 30 will be 'key' quests in HS. The number was 22 for CS.
Approximately 40 of them will be 'free' quests in HS. Including the free DLC, CS had 39.
For Hacker's Memory, they are not including Farm Quests in that count. They plan to add more as more features are added, including more quest types. More details will be revealed soon.

HM will have approximately 320 Digimon compared to the 247 in CS.

They count this as 73 new Digimon (the pre-order Digimon from the international PS4 versions are included as 'new' as they were never brought to Japan.)

The number for CS includes the 231 original Digimon, the 9 from pre-order bonuses, and the 7 added later via DLC. Yggdrasil_7D6 is not included as he was not raiseable.

In addition, the version of CS included with Hacker's Memory will include all of the Digimon from the new game. No mention of other potential changes to CS were mentioned.

As for the Map areas.
The original CS had 74 types. HM will have roughly 90.
30 of these maps will be new, 60 will be shared with CS. The old maps will have new things in HM. 14 of the CS maps will not appear in HM, but they also restate this may still change, as the game is still in production.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth- Hacker's Memory is being developed by Media Vision, the developers of the original game. Suzuhito Yasuda is returning as character designer, and Masafumi Takada is returning as the composer, and Kazumasa Habu is returning as producer.

We know that on March 20th Bandai-Namco filed a trademark application for "Hacker's Memory' in Europe...

And because of the time difference, they've now announced it for release in Europe!

The details from Bandai Europe for the EU release include:
An early 2018 release date.
Japanese Audio with English and German subtitles
Physical and Digital on Playstation 4
Digital on Playstation Vita

We also have Bandai Europe's data sheet for the game, which has many of the details from up above.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

And it also includes the English logo.

We expect it will be announced for a North American release shortly. It's still the middle of the night for most of North America, we will update later... after I've slept.

And to end, a handful of new images...

Update- Bandai Namco Europe has confirmed there is no mistake ala Next Order, Hacker's Memory WILL be on Vita.

They also have confirmed the EU release of Hacker's Memory will not include Cyber Sleuth. At the moment they've told us nothing is confirmed on if the EU release of Cyber Sleuth will get an update with the new Digimon, but to stay tuned.

Big thanks to shin and garm for all the new translated details. Thanks to Takao for pointing out the Bandai Europe info. Some of the updated press images were gotten from Gematsu, and thanks to saifors for pointing the images out.

The previous thread about Hacker's Memory can be found here.

Update- The official site updated with a profile for the protagonist character.

The 'EDEN account' is an access key into cyberspace, acting as a proof of identification. However, Keisuke Amazawa's EDEN account had been hacked, and he now finds himself falsely accused of an account-hunting crime he does not recall committing. In order to find the perpetrator who put him in this predicament, he becomes a hacker himself and begins his investigation!

Rohan

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Early 2018? Nice! We won't have to wait that long after Japan gets it.

No ENG dub is fine really. I wonder if we'll get the original CS included as well?

DazzleDream

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow that's great news! Not only a fast localisation time but on both consoles. The digital vita version will definitely be a day 1 purchase for me! It looks really nice.

Vaioumon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Aw, no dub. Still, great to hear the US/EU release date won't be too far behind Japan's. Sure wish the bits about the story were more clear, but what can ya do? Here's hoping everywhere outside Japan gets an update to CS with the new Digimon.

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wait, wasn't Spanish the second potential language?? C'mon, is the second most spoken language in the world (altough in Europe is only spoken in Spain and Andorra)...Don't misunderstand me, I'll be very glad if they translate the game to the maximum possible number of languages, but I feel rightdown tricked by Bandai Namco EU...I hope Bandai America can fix this issue...-.-'

Kataphrut

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No dub, no selectable gender, locations looking copy-pasted from Cyber Sleuth.

I liked Cyber Sleuth a fair bit, but not seeing a lot to get me excited about this one. Early days yet, but I hope they haven't just jumped on CS's popularity to make a quick cash-grab sequel.

Rexanimon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So many Digimon I'm hoping to see in this...Meicoomon's full line would be pretty cool, and hopefully BanchoGolemon since Golemon is being featured in the screenshots (maybe we'll get lucky and get all of the BanchoGolemon!).

They better not have flubbed up again about the Vita release like they did for Next Order. I was so bummed!

clanc

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why does the protagonist looks like he's about to murder us all?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sucks that the original Cyber Sleuth won't be included in the European version. Probably it would be the same for an American release. But whatever. I can get both games if/when I ever own a PS4.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
no Asia Physical edition for Vita. Boooooo, poor choice Bamco.

LucasPSI

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't really mind the lack of dub. I would have probably just ended up switching to the Japanese voices anyway if given the option. The Japanese voices are part of the experience. I really hope Dobermon/Anubismon's evolution line is in the game. With how many digimon are being added, I don't see why they wouldn't be

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I'm getting a PS4 and a Vita then. More things on my shopping list...

Part of me wonders if/when these new guys will get added to Linkz.

Still, if the European division got a confirmed release, I'm expecting the US release announcement to not be too far away.

Digimonuniverse

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really hoping to get to partner up with aegiomon and his rightful evo-line, he awesome Digimon just like angemon

Zekkaina Solo

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sucks that the original Cyber Sleuth won't be included in the European version. Probably it would be the same for an American release. But whatever. I can get both games if/when I ever own a PS4.
Well, I'm getting a PS4 and a Vita then. More things on my shopping list...
I was going to ask everyone ... PS4 or Vita? Is there a platform you prefer?
I've been meaning to upgrade (I have a Wii and DS Lite) for awhile ...

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Realistically, the question is... do you have a Vita?

If you don't, how interested are you in the kind of games coming out for it at this point. Most Vita games at this point are random ports, and whatever anime games come from Japan.

If that's what you want, and you can find something that fits what you want pricewise, awesome.

If not, the PS4 will cost more, but might be a better long term entertainment investment.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No dub, no selectable gender, locations looking copy-pasted from Cyber Sleuth.

I liked Cyber Sleuth a fair bit, but not seeing a lot to get me excited about this one. Early days yet, but I hope they haven't just jumped on CS's popularity to make a quick cash-grab sequel.
I mean... that's 100% exactly what this is. This is the Digimon Story series' MO. Make game engine, use game engine over and over until the end of the console's era. It doesn't mean it'll be a bad game. Hell, Digimon Story Lost Evolution is the best iteration of the original DS engine, even if it brings very little 'new' to the table.

Rohan

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I despise Digital releases so I'll be going with PS4. Had the Vita version been physical then I would've gotten it instead.

Togetak

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Completely baseless speculation, but the name "hacker's memory", the vagueness of it's relation to cyber slueth's plot (beyond that you're "not a hero", so you're not going to save the world like cyber slueth's protagonist did), the lack of any reference to the spooky tentacle monsters, and the idea of a crime you don't remember committing- all makes me think this might be set post-cyber sleuth but concurrent with when cyber sleuth's events occurred in the original timeline.

I like the idea of the story being in the aftermath of the universal reboot and with a plot attached to the fallout of it, but then again it'd be hard to separate the plots enough to not need prior knowledge of cyber sleuth in order for it to make sense

Rohan

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Completely baseless speculation, but the name "hacker's memory", the vagueness of it's relation to cyber slueth's plot (beyond that you're "not a hero", so you're not going to save the world like cyber slueth's protagonist did), the lack of any reference to the spooky tentacle monsters, and the idea of a crime you don't remember committing- all makes me think this might be set post-cyber sleuth but concurrent with when cyber sleuth's events occurred in the original timeline.
I'm probably completely wrong, but when I watched CS' final cutscene the other day, when Kyouko is chasing a young man I was like "Is that Keisuke?" since it looked like him from behind.

But yeah, I'm very interested in seeing where in the timeline HM will take place compared to CS.

Status
Not open for further replies.