Digimon Season 2 DVD Discussion Thread

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The set is coming out on Tuesday, so I thought a nice clean discussion thread for the DVDs was warranted.

Image Thumbnail

If you haven't preordered yet, please consider ordering using our Amazon affiliate link (same with the second volume of Season 1.)

Digimon Season 2 DVD Set at Amazon

Digimon Season 1, Volume 2 DVD Set at Amazon

Once I get my copy I'll make sure to put up proper snapshots and do a full review (doing it for season 1 kinda got screwed up with the site rebuild at the time.)

Contests for copies of the set should be coming soon hopefully.

Also, thanks to a friend of the site, apparently the dreaded 'masters' issue has cropped up (As they have for various releases in other countries.) Thus far since I don't have my personal set I can't dig into what problems may or may not shown up, but the ratings bug seemingly makes a few appearances in season 2.

Hopefully once some of us get our sets in hand we can see how widespread the issue regarding the quality of the masters is.

But, let's try and stay positive.

Prior discussion on the 02 DVDs can be found in the DVD announcement thread.

Update- By checking timecodes and other things, here is an update on the shorter episodes (these updates are mentioned in posts in this thread also.)

There are 4 of them, each of the 4 has a ratings bug.

Spirit Needle is the later 'revised/fixed' version that fixed a few Digimon Analyzer screens.

These episodes based on time calculations appear to only be missing the intro and the 'last time on Digimon'.

This creates an issue with episode 1, as episode 1s 'last time' was actually the 'what the characters are up to in the intervening years.' An information request has been sent to the PR company handling this release for New Video, so hopefully we can find out what exactly happened, and see what, if anything, they might do to fix this issue.

The Chaos Entity

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why can't they ever release these in the UK?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why can't they ever release these in the UK?

Considering the first set only came out roughly 6 or so months ago, in the midst of the license trading hands, patience may be warranted. Plus, you guys got various releases for years when we got nadda. I mean.. yours never finished, but you still got something. We got one DVD back in 2001...

As for the actual topic...

I got my personal set today. The booklet uses the dub names, as expected, and shows the various evolutions (the back of the booklet shows the old Digidestined.)

I haven't looked at the episodes yet, but everyone will be happy to know, the case closes fine.

Edit- I went ahead and did a quick spot check of disk 1. Episode 1 does have a ratings bug, and may be an edited for time copy, but the rest appear to be clean and proper length (hard to tell without comparing tapes or going shot by shot, can only look at episode lengths and guess by spot checking.)

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Jessicat

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've recently had time to watch my season 1 DVD set [yea, I'm slow XD], and noticed some episodes were eye-bleedingly blurry, though the sound was fine; is there anything like that going on in the episodes here in the season 2 set? It really put a damper on watching them for me as I admit I never watched much of Adventure as a kid and missed a lot of eps ^^;

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've recently had time to watch my season 1 DVD set [yea, I'm slow XD], and noticed some episodes were eye-bleedingly blurry, though the sound was fine; is there anything like that going on in the episodes here in the season 2 set? It really put a damper on watching them for me as I admit I never watched much of Adventure as a kid and missed a lot of eps ^^;

Minus a transition on the menu looking poor, just spot checking the episodes I haven't noticed anything fuzzy.

While there are decent copies of the various Digimon shows in existence, the fact that the brand has been passed around a few times likely means copies have been misplaced, or lost, and that they effectively are compositing it together from various sources.

In the season 1 set I only remember 6 or 7 minutes of total footage that really looked 'bad'.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thought it was worth mentioning, the set is the #4 top selling anime on Amazon at the moment... will it hit #1 at some point on release date?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Another update from looking around for things.

The copy of Spirit Needle is the revised version with YukimiBotamon and Golemon (as many older fans may remember, this episode originally aired with the Digimon Analyzer showing wrong names for both characters, but was revised on later airings.) This is an episode that has the ratings bug and appears to be slightly shorter (I don't recall if this episode ever aired with the fixes at the original length.)

The full list of 'shorter' cuts with the ratings bug appears to be as follows

1. Enter Flamedramon
10. The Captive Digimon
14. The Samurai of Sincerity
25. Spirit Needle

I'm curious to see if the others had similar 'after first airing' changes/fixes made that might explain why these specific cuts were used (outside of the obvious answer of, it's what could be found.) Hopefully someone else will recall these... I remember the changes from Spirit Needle because they were rather obvious. Every character 'says' YukimiBotamon and Golemon every time the characters are mentioned, but the analyzer had different names (as mentioned above.)

Storm Eagle

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why does the fact that these episodes have ratings bugs at the beginning have to indicate that these are the shortened versions of the episodes? Also, how major do you think the alterations might be?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why does the fact that these episodes have ratings bugs at the beginning have to indicate that these are the shortened versions of the episodes? Also, how major do you think the alterations might be?

These episodes not only have the ratings bug, but are a bit shorter than the others on the DVDs.

'scrub scrub what I wrote previously'

I'm not checking them all right now, but in the case of episode 10... the intro and last time are missing, which add up to roughly 90 seconds, which is roughly how much shorter the episode is compared to others.

This doesn't answer where the intro and 'last time' vanished to though... (After-all, the bug showing up at the beginning of this episode suggests this specific copy aired without the last time/intro attached.) This is in the middle of the 'Agumon is kidnapped/Dark Spiral/etc' stuff... It's quite possible the episode reaired at some point without the 'last time' and the intro, and this is simply all they have as far as the episode being 'uncut' goes (An archived copy from an old Fox Station perhaps?) I do seem to recall these episodes being rapidly reaired in the middle/end of the airing of this specific story (since they do make up a nice little arc) but I'm not sure if that's fact, or my memories playing tricks on me...

Edit- After checking in detail, it appears these 4 episodes are only missing the intro and 'last time' (at least calculating for time.)

This does lead us with a unique and odd issue though... Episode 1's last time was actually the 'what is up with all the kids since season 1' narration.

I have an email in with the company doing PR for the release to see if we can find out what's up with the episode 1 issue, and if perhaps there may be a replacement or not.

Storm Eagle

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm split on this. If those episodes are just missing recaps and opening sequences, it's not much of a big deal to me although it's kind of weird for the first episode to not have them. I just hope none of the episodes had any scenes taken out of them, no matter how mundane they might be.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm split on this. If those episodes are just missing recaps and opening sequences, it's not much of a big deal to me although it's kind of weird for the first episode to not have them. I just hope none of the episodes had any scenes taken out of them, no matter how mundane they might be.

Minus the 'whats everyone up to' scene at the beginning of episode 1, everything appears to be there. If anything is missing, we'd need a detailed comparison with a copy of an originally aired taped to check.

The information has been sent to the proper people, hopefully we get a response back that gives us some information.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That is very bizarre for those four particular episodes to be missing their intros/recaps. How are episodes 19-21, and 43-50 in that regard?

Also, how does episode 20 look? I recall hearing about that one getting post-9/11 edits during its Jetix reruns (if not during its post-9/11 reruns).

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That is very bizarre for those four particular episodes to be missing their intros/recaps. How are episodes 19-21, and 43-50 in that regard?

Also, how does episode 20 look? I recall hearing about that one getting post-9/11 edits during its Jetix reruns (if not during its post-9/11 reruns).

The only 4 episodes that appear to be missing intros/recaps are the 4 I gave (I don't believe I missed any, and the same source who gave me the early info confirmed he came up with those same 4.) It'll be nice to get someone else to confirm though so we can confirm with a third person.

As for the episode 20 edits. The edits were all related to the town being blown up at the beginning of the episode (as I recall.) All of this appears to be intact on the DVD.

Kevin the Geek

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It sucks that 4 episodes, especially the first one, have their intros removed, and have ratings bugs on them. Oh well, I guess I can live with that.

Anyway, earlier today, I ordered myself a copy, from the Amazon marketplace, which was priced at $47.96, shipping included. The seller only had one copy left, so I hope I was able to get it. :p

Hey, Marc, I imagine that the Digidestined are pictured on 6 of the DVDs. So, who are on the other two?

Edit: Never mind, Marc. Someone posted pictures of the DVDs in a review.

http://digitalchumps.com/movie-revi...ital-monsters-the-official-second-season.html

As for the series' masters not being treated well, I might blame Disney for that. :p

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just saw this set today at Best Buy for $59.99 USD.

Didn't have the money for it, though.

Storm Eagle

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Minus the 'whats everyone up to' scene at the beginning of episode 1, everything appears to be there. If anything is missing, we'd need a detailed comparison with a copy of an originally aired taped to check.

The information has been sent to the proper people, hopefully we get a response back that gives us some information.
I've got the Fox Kids recordings of all the second season episodes, even though they're not their initial airings. Hopefully that might still be good enough. Anyway I hope we hear something from the proper people soon.

As for the episode 20 edits. The edits were all related to the town being blown up at the beginning of the episode (as I recall.) All of this appears to be intact on the DVD.

I'd hope so.

Last edited: