Digimon Rumble Arena fangame

ncea`

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hi, just came across this project today, liking what you're doing, seems really cool. Had a jam of the demo and it's pretty fun :D

But yeah, Just thought I'd give you a heads up, that there is a a competitive Digimon Rumble Arena 1 community. We're pretty dedicated to the game and know a lot about how the games mechanics and systems work, so if you ever want some inspiration to make your game even closer to the original Digimon Rumble Arena then feel free to come say hi to us in our discord or something, we'd love to help (y)

discord link: http://discord.gg/hPJgZ4J

Lord_of_the_Dude

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hi, just came across this project today, liking what you're doing, seems really cool. Had a jam of the demo and it's pretty fun :D

But yeah, Just thought I'd give you a heads up, that there is a a competitive Digimon Rumble Arena 1 community. We're pretty dedicated to the game and know a lot about how the games mechanics and systems work, so if you ever want some inspiration to make your game even closer to the original Digimon Rumble Arena then feel free to come say hi to us in our discord or something, we'd love to help (y)

Alright. I accepted the invite

Draco74

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Hi! Thank you so much for trying the demo ^^, and thanks for the invitation to your discord!

Bitou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Edit: @Draco74 did you find why the hits are duplicating? If you manage to fix it please could you reupload it? I feel the game a bit unplayable because the matches duration is few seconds. Thank you very much.
Nothing yet?

Bitou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Draco74

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As said, here the new version of the demo ^^

Changes:
- New playable Digimon: Betamon, as Metalseadramon's rookie form
- New playable stage: Freezy Artic
- New command to go down through the platforms: down+jump button
- Camera improved to be smoother
- Normal attacks will now impact only once (the ones in the ground and the aerials), but all specials remain as before

The list of changes is not as big as in previous versions but the new stage implies a lot of changes, as now you can fall from the platforms. And I want to test too the camera improvements and the new change in the normal attacks.

Bitou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm I can't tell you much, because the gameplay is not as good as before for me, some things broke the game:

This is what's wrong for me:
  • I don't know why you decided to make multiples hitting specials, but it's not well implemented. You should limit it to a max of 3 hits or something, to avoid kill your opponent by pressing the special button 3 times, specially when they are cornered or you place inside his hitbox and do the special. With Betamon for example, it's not worth doing the blue proyectile move, when you have the special+down, which is a beam, hits multiple times and the launch animation is shorter. The special that hit once will be unused.
  • MetalSeadramon Wave is too op.
  • When you use the wave with Metalseadramon, and the the Definitive Stream, this one, will be nullified by colliding with the wave.
  • Izuna of Sakuyamon is still very op, for the problems of the hits, another way to nerf, is to unable to move when using like the original RA1, or when hit the move dissapear.
  • The time between normal hits is not worth doing normal hits. This is the opposit of dynamism.
  • You can't reach the platform in Artic map with chars that jumps twice. If you use the special+up yes, but I think it should be reached just by jumping.
  • Sometimes the AI falls jump to the water by himself or running away from the player.
  • Sometimes after falling, the AI keeps lying in the floor unti you hit it.
Obviously this is my experience and opinion.

By the way, I love that you implemented Betamon, even ModokiBetamon as a skin, that's great. Will you do the same with Piedmon?.

Draco74

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm I can't tell you much, because the gameplay is not as good as before for me, some things broke the game:

• I don't know why you decided to make multiples hitting specials, but it's not well implemented. You should limit it to a max of 3 hits or something, to avoid kill your opponent by pressing the special button 3 times, specially when they are cornered or you place inside his hitbox and do the special. With Betamon for example, it's not worth doing the blue proyectile move, when you have the special+down, which is a beam, hits multiple times and the launch animation is shorter. The special that hit once will be unused.
  • When you use the wave with Metalseadramon, and the the Definitive Stream, this one, will be nullified by colliding with the wave.
  • Izuna of Sakuyamon is still very op, for the problems of the hits, another way to nerf, is to unable to move when using like the original RA1, or when hit the move dissapear.
  • The time between normal hits is not worth doing normal hits. This is the opposit of dynamism.
  • You can't reach the platform in Artic map with chars that jumps twice. If you use the special+up yes, but I think it should be reached just by jumping.
  • Sometimes the AI falls jump to the water by himself or running away from the player.

By the way, I love that you implemented Betamon, even ModokiBetamon as a skin, that's great. Will you do the same with Piedmon?.
Ok, this is great, I expected to have feedback (but maybe not that much!) because I changed and added things to the gameplay. I really appreciate your fast and detailed feedback, I take note of everything and I will check.

About Piedmon, yes! I want to do the same. In fact not only Betamon was planned for this version, but I had some issues and I cancelled the other Digimon for now.

Please, can you detail this point that you mentioned?

"The time between normal hits is not worth doing normal hits. This is the opposit of dynamism."

I don't really understand what you mean, sorry.

To fix the point you mention to reach the platforms... hmmm... for me was not an issue. What do you think if I edit the jumps to be more powerful and with the same strength for all Digimon? Doing this we could manage this point, because another option is edit the stage itself and this is more complicated.

Bitou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ok, this is great, I expected to have feedback (but maybe not that much!) because I changed and added things to the gameplay. I really appreciate your fast and detailed feedback, I take note of everything and I will check.

About Piedmon, yes! I want to do the same. In fact not only Betamon was planned for this version, but I had some issues and I cancelled the other Digimon for now.
Thank you for considering my words. It's great that Piedmon will have Rookie too, it's weird to have a mega without rookie.

"The time between normal hits is not worth doing normal hits. This is the opposit of dynamism."
I said this before, make the 3 attacks a sequence by making the time between hit shorter. It's not worth to finally get an opening and just land one hit, while waiting to hit again the opponent can attack you. I think the key is not between hits, it's after the sequence. But between hits there must be a (very short) hit time to prevent Digis skip some moves of the sequence, like happened in the first versions with Wargreymon or Piedmon.

So that way you get closer to and opponent and hit 3 times and do some special or something, and with that special you do damage and run away, go search a card or shot from distance, and the try to get close again, I mean make the player to get cose to the opponent worth the risk to get closer, otherwise this will be a shooter shooting positrons and gaias from the borders.

To fix the point you mention to reach the platforms... hmmm... for me was not an issue. What do you think if I edit the jumps to be more powerful and with the same strength for all Digimon? Doing this we could manage this point, because another option is edit the stage itself and this is more complicated.
That's a good solution, increase the jump, but you have to talk with the stage maker, to have this in account when making in stage. For example, for this stage you need more jump height, but what if in the next stage the platforms are even high, because shorter is not a problem.

Lord_of_the_Dude

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I don't really understand what you mean, sorry.

I have to agree with @Bitou The changes you made for the normal attacks in this beta have made them rather useless. On the other hand, some characters have extremely overpowered special moves, especially MetalSeadramon's Poseidon Divide and Sakuyamon's Kizuna. At this rate, players will prefer to use their character's Special Moves and ditch their normal attacks altogether. I believe you have to do more than simply reducing the cooldowns for the special moves.

Also, I think you should just decrease the size of the stages a bit. That way, you don't necessarily have to make adjustments for every character jump movements in the game. Besides, the frozen Digimons in the stage background are not supposed to be that huge lol

And just a side note, I think you should add a falling snow VFX for the Freezy Arctic stage

Last edited:

Bitou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have to agree with @Bitou
Thanks, I thought I was the only having this experience.

I believe you have to do more than simply reducing the cooldowns for the special moves.
I think limiting the number of hits that a special can do, or do they hit once but increase the damage.

@Draco74 I managed to make a screenshot of the HP of Metalseadramon after one of my Final Elysian at the corner:

https://imgur.com/5Qllxsp

That's more than 25% hp with 1 special.

Another thing I have found is when you make normal+down while in air against Betamon, he freezes like this:

and you can hit him and his bar goes down, but the model is stuck.

Last edited:

Draco74

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thank you all! I will probably prepare a hot fix for these things you mention

Bitou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would appreciate that :D

Edit: Is intended that Digimon UI name doesn't change when digivolve?

The collide with you own proyectile happens with everything, for example, Fireball item proyectile + positron laser.

Last edited:

Draco74

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would appreciate that :D

Edit: Is intended that Digimon UI name doesn't change when digivolve?

The collide with you own proyectile happens with everything, for example, Fireball item proyectile + positron laser.
Yes, in fact the collision with multiple of your own projectiles/beams was not managed. The reason why they impact is to allow your projectiles block the enemy's ones. I have to fix it.

And yes, the UI names don't change to display your original Digimon (if you start the battle with a rookie, you will have the rookie name).

Bitou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Alright, then the name displaying is not a bug, good.

I'll wait for the hotfix, if I find anything else I will tell you.

Gallantmon fell off from the stage:

Last edited:

Draco74

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Here you have the version with some urgent fixes:

Changes:
- After @Lord_of_the_Dude confirmation, the stage Freezy Artic has been reduced a bit to allow better movement between platforms.
- Fixed the issues with some Digimon and the stage where they just fell off from it.
- The standard attack sequence is now faster.
- The projectiles/beams don't impact if coming from the same author.
- Added snow effect in Freezy Artic stage.

For now no changes on the special movements. And the same for Betamon as I was not able to reproduce the reported issue where it is stuck.

Edit: I detected an issue with the big projectiles in the Freezy Artic stage, as they collide with the platforms. For example Piedmon's special+down. I will try to fix it for next versions.

Last edited:

Bitou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The special moves issue is the most critical for me, but i think it will take you some time to fix that.

The basic combo adjustment is working, its much better now. The Freezy Artic stage reduction I'm noticing it a lot, its more comfortable to play it now.

Lord_of_the_Dude

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Changes:
- After @Lord_of_the_Dude confirmation, the stage Freezy Artic has been reduced a bit to allow better movement between platforms.
- Fixed the issues with some Digimon and the stage where they just fell off from it.

For now no changes on the special movements. And the same for Betamon as I was not able to reproduce the reported issue where it is stuck.

Edit: I detected an issue with the big projectiles in the Freezy Artic stage, as they collide with the platforms. For example Piedmon's special+down. I will try to fix it for next versions.
Alright. I checked out the update and I believe the Arctic stage looks much better now. Though I found another bug in the stage. So I played as Betamon and got him evolve to MetalSeadramon. Then MetalSeadramon fell into the freezing water just when his digivolution meter was about to run out. So naturally he reverted back to Betamon when he returned to the stage. The problem is, when I evolved him to MetalSeadramon again, MetalSeadramon remains frozen. Even when the opponent hits him, he still remains on ice lol. Here is the screenshot.

Some other things I found:

- For a Rookie Digimon, Betamon sure has a taller hitbox than the other Rookies. Maybe you can decrease his hitbox a bit?
- Betamon's regular projectile is much slower to perform compared to the rest of the cast. And his laser beam is even slower. I was wondering about your intention for this character. I can see that the laser beam is intended to be more damaging and multi-hitting. But I don't really see the point of Betamon's regular projectile having a slow startup as well. I believe his regular projectile inflicts the same amount of damages as the others and it is not really useful for a mix-up tool either.

On an unrelated note, I noticed that you removed the moving ice platforms of the bottom part of the stage. I was wondering why you did that.

Last edited:

Draco74

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Changes:

Alright. I checked out the update and I believe the Arctic stage looks much better now. Though I found another bug in the stage. So I played as Betamon and got him evolve to MetalSeadramon. Then MetalSeadramon fell into the freezing water just when his digivolution meter was about to run out. So naturally he reverted back to Betamon when he returned to the stage. The problem is, when I evolved him to MetalSeadramon again, MetalSeadramon remains frozen. Even when the opponent hits him, he still remains on ice lol. Here is the screenshot.

Some other things I found:

- For a Rookie Digimon, Betamon sure has a taller hitbox than the other Rookies. Maybe you can decrease his hitbox a bit?
- Betamon's regular projectile is much slower to perform compared to the rest of the cast. And his laser beam is even slower. I was wondering about your intention for this character. I can see that the laser beam is intended to be more damaging and multi-hitting. But I don't really see the point of Betamon's regular projectile having a slow startup as well. I believe his regular projectile inflicts the same amount of damages as the others and it is not really useful for a mix-up tool either.

On an unrelated note, I noticed that you removed the moving ice platforms of the bottom part of the stage. I was wondering why you did that.
Thank you so much for the bug you mention, I will fix it. And very good timing to reproduce it too! Hahaha

Betamon's speed when doing special attack will be checked as well, thanks for the feedback.

About the platform, unfortunately I had to remove them, yes. This is a technical decision, as I was having issues with the hitboxes there and the gameplay was weird. In RA1 you don't have a special+Up to do a third jump if you want, and there the platforms are maybe more useful, but here we have the option and I think we can remove the platforms without impacting the gameplay.