Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really excited to try the new demo

Draco74

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Here you have the new version of the demo!

List of changes:
- New playable Digimon: Renamon (with Sakuyamon). Sakuyamon is unlockable by password as all other mega forms (tip for passwords: I use the ones from RA1).
- Metalseadramon's wave has been adjusted.
- Piedmon's special+Up is now an attack, and it throws some joker cards when doing it.
- Agumon/Blackagumon's special+Forward has a cooldown.
- Veemon's special & special+Forward share the cooldown time.
- The attack while running requires now some time in movement, it cannot be spammed.
- The standard combo has changed a bit. It is slower, but all hits impact to the enemy.
- Loading times reduced, specially between menus.
- All Digimon have their name in the UI of the battle.
- Main menu's selection is kept when you come back.
- Digimon selection is kept when you come back from a battle.
- Random Digimon selection is enabled when pressing Start button in the selection menu.
- The AI has been changed a bit. Depending of the difficulty it will need more time to run behind you. It will jump as well time to time.
- The guard is enabled in the air.

I think I'm not forgetting anything. Maybe the change in the AI is not what you were expecting, but let's see how it works now.

Enjoy ^^

Last edited:

Bitou

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Here we go!! Thank you :D

Draco74

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I forgot one! The guard can be used in the air as well. I edited my previous message with this point, to have all together there.

Bitou

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I played some matches and this is what I have found for the moment:

• Izuna of Sakuyamon is broken, homing + able to move while special + 25% of enemy hp damage.
  • The cooldown affect to items too, you can throw the fireballs because some cooldown.
  • The 3 hits combo is slower and let the oponent attack you while you wait for 2 hit to launch, so that's not a combo if the opponent can fightback. You must add more hitstun to the enemy to be able to chain the 3 hits.
  • I think you start the match with the dash cooldown active, the correct is start the match with every cooldwon refreshed.
  • Some hits of some 3 hit combo still not connecting, maybe a range or hitbox problem.
  • The AI is bugging in the Dangerous forest cliffs sometimes. Also the can hit you from down the cliffs while you are above.
  • If you hit Sakuyamon while she is doing special + down, the mandala effect remains in the ground.

Personal:

• Sakuyamon lacks from one of his iconic special, the one where she places a ball of purple flames.

You forgot about the in battle digimon names, reduced loading times and random selection in you changelog.

This is at first, im going to keep playing I didn' test anything yet. I hope you can provide a hotfix about 3 hit combo its a bit frustrating being able to hit only once and be exposed to the enemy when you shouldn't.

I'm so happy to be ablew to play as Renamon, thank you very much :D

Draco74

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks for the quick feedback!

• Izuna of Sakuyamon is broken, homing + able to move while special + 25% of enemy hp damage.
Agree, I wanted to do something strong but this is maybe too much. We have some options here: reduce the time of the attack, make it not impacting the enemy (but reducing life, of course), or reduce the damage.

• The cooldown affect to items too, you can throw the fireballs because some cooldown.
If this is the case, it's clearly a bug. The items must not be impacted. I will check it, thank you.

• The 3 hits combo is slower and let the oponent attack you while you wait for 2 hit to launch, so that's not a combo if the opponent can fightback. You must add more hitstun to the enemy to be able to chain the 3 hits.
I will check this, definetely.

• I think you start the match with the dash cooldown active, the correct is start the match with every cooldwon refreshed.
This is what I mention in the notes. To do the dash attack you need to run a bit first. There is no cooldown for this movement.

• Some hits of some 3 hit combo still not connecting, maybe a range or hitbox problem.
Do you have examples? I thought this was fixed, I will check it too.

• The AI is bugging in the Dangerous forest cliffs sometimes. Also the can hit you from down the cliffs while you are above.
Almost for sure this is because the size of the hitboxes. I will check if reducing them I can improve the experience.

• If you hit Sakuyamon while she is doing special + down, the mandala effect remains in the ground.
Yes, but it disappears after few seconds. No problem on this. I take note of this anyway.

Personal:
  • Sakuyamon lacks from one of his iconic special, the one where she places a ball of purple flames.
This is complex, because I was analysing the movement but no idea how to implement it in a similar way hahaha. I will consider it for next updates.

You forgot about the in battle digimon names, reduced loading times and random selection in you changelog.
Nop, they are in the notes :)

Bitou

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nop, they are in the notes
Hahah my bad.

Yes, but it disappears after few seconds. No problem on this. I take note of this anyway.
Yes i commented this not as a bug, but as aesthetic.

Metalgarurumon, Wargreymon/Black, Piedmon, Gabumon. Still need to test some of the chars.

The AI in Normal barely attacks, maybe this AI is good for easy, I didn't try easy yet.

In Vmon 3 hit combo is working fine so maybe you can use as a reference, the problem is the enemy placing behind you by tresspasing you like a ghost haha, this is the cause of many combo drops.

Could be that if you missed while combo for example in to hit 2 if you start the combo again it continues by the previous hit?, so if dyou were at hit 2 it will only hit 2 and 3, so maybe it's that why sometimes the character makes 2 hit combo or less.

Last edited:

Draco74

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Metalgarurumon, Wargreymon/Black, Piedmon, Gabumon. Still need to test some of the chars.

The AI in Normal barely attacks, maybe this AI is good for easy, I didn't try easy yet.

In Vmon 3 hit combo is working fine so maybe you can use as a reference, the problem is the enemy placing behind you by tresspasing you like a ghost haha, this is the cause of many combo drops.

Could be that if you missed while combo for example in to hit 2 if you start the combo again it continues by the previous hit?, so if dyou were at hit 2 it will only hit 2 and 3, so maybe it's that why sometimes the character makes 2 hit combo or less.
Wow, a lot of Digimon with issues in the combo. I'm checking it right now.

The workflow with the combo is that you have some time to do the attacks in order to continue to the 2 and then the 3. If you attack until the 2 and you wait, your next attack will be the first one again.

Bitou

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The workflow with the combo is that you have some time to do the attacks in order to continue to the 2 and then the 3. If you attack until the 2 and you wait, your next attack will be the first one again.
Maybe that's the problem, time is too long.

Draco74

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm realizing of what you're expecting of the combo. The combo has 3 hits, but they don't depend if you impacted with the previous one. Doesn't matter the position of the enemy, if you press Attack button you will execute the entire combo if you want.

Maybe, knowing this, is why you comment that some hits are failing the impact. Of course you will fail if the opponent is far enough from you, but you will execute the combo anyway. The point here is to execute it being close to the opponent.

Please tell me if I'm wrong with this analysis, but I think now I understand the issues with this. The combo doesn't depent of the impacts you do. Is just a sequence of attacks.

Bitou

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What I'm saying is the input is not working well for me sometimes, some chars, like Piedmon won't do the second hit, even spamming A.

But the other part of the problem is if the time to second hit is lesser than the time of ewnemy hitsun, he can punish you while you waiting to be able to launch the second hit, and it's not correct, because you should't be guard down there. Either way you can't call that a combo.

For example look at this video I found of SFIV at 0:32:

Bison is capable to land the entire combo without the opponent can counterattack because of the hitstun, look at Gen (the old man) being flinched at every hit, then Bison makes a special and the oponent got knockdown, the combo is finished (not every combo finish with the opponent on th ground but its common).

So I can translate this short combo for example to Wargreymon, he lands 3 hits + gaia force and the opponent goes down, that 4 hit combo, the opponent can't counter attack while a opponent combo, unless there are a combo breaker mechanic like Mortal Kombat 9 or Killer Instinct.

This happened in original RA1 too

Being a casual game, it is not too estrict with the input or input time, it's ok as you planned, hit F+F+F and the char makes 3 hit combo (being close and at range of course) and the opponent shouldn't interrupt you. That basic combo can be linked to some specials and air normal hits to extend the combo or make longer combos. There are some chars that can do this already (when char does the hits of the basic combo correctly) for example: Imperialdramon, Wargreymon, Seraphimon and Metalseadramon. forward + special or forward + basic, 3 hit combo, special+up, special + forward.

I see a problem if you have a 3 hit combo and at the same distance of the oponnent you only connect 1 and 3 hit, why 2 hit missed? Missing the second hit makes the other 2 just individual attacks.

Maybe it's not the answer that you were searching, but I didn't understood your post completely.

Other big problem I see, is when you are attacking most of time you lose the focus, because the opponent is not in front of you anymore, because, while your combo he was able to place behind you.

Last edited:

Draco74

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What I'm saying is the input is not working well for me sometimes, some chars, like Piedmon won't do the second hit, even spamming A.

But the other part of the problem is if the time to second hit is lesser than the time of ewnemy hitsun, he can punish you while you waiting to be able to launch the second hit, and it's not correct, because you should't be guard down there. Either way you can't call that a combo.

For example look at this video I found of SFIV at 0:32:

Bison is capable to land the entire combo without the opponent can counterattack because of the hitstun, look at Gen (the old man) being flinched at every hit, then Bison makes a special and the oponent got knockdown, the combo is finished (not every combo finish with the opponent on th ground but its common).

So I can translate this short combo for example to Wargreymon, he lands 3 hits + gaia force and the opponent goes down, that 4 hit combo, the opponent can't counter attack while a opponent combo, unless there are a combo breaker mechanic like Mortal Kombat 9 or Killer Instinct.

This happened in original RA1 too

Being a casual game, it is not too estrict with the input or input time, it's ok as you planned, hit F+F+F and the char makes 3 hit combo (being close and at range of course) and the opponent shouldn't interrupt you. That basic combo can be linked to some specials and air normal hits to extend the combo or make longer combos. There are some chars that can do this already (when char does the hits of the basic combo correctly) for example: Imperialdramon, Wargreymon, Seraphimon and Metalseadramon. forward + special or forward + basic, 3 hit combo, special+up, special + forward.

I see a problem if you have a 3 hit combo and at the same distance of the oponnent you only connect 1 and 3 hit, why 2 hit missed? Missing the second hit makes the other 2 just individual attacks.

Maybe it's not the answer that you were searching, but I didn't understood your post completely.

Other big problem I see, is when you are attacking most of time you lose the focus, because the opponent is not in front of you anymore, because, while your combo he was able to place behind you.
I completely understand your example, very detailed and well explained. Thank you. I've played a bit in my side with the timings and the time you're impacted from a hit. Definetely the current time is sooo small, and you're recovered quickly. But, in case the time is increased, we should re-define the attacks (for example the 1st and 2nd hit of the combo are not impacting that much, but maybe the attack+down/up should do it more?), and I'm a bit afraid of this in case we convert the gameplay in something too much OP for the aggressive player.

Bitou

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't know what you mean about impacting that much, I mean, every hit should impact 100% of times if make contact with enemy hitbox.

About the agresiveness it's about how you planned the game or your intentions with that. If you want promote the agressive players, then punish the defensive players who is always guarding themselves, by putting a grab tech, if you want to punish the agressive ones make when guarding, and block the opponent combo, they take more to recover so they are punishable, for not attacking in the right time or trying to spam. Normal is to use both.

About the game, as you don't have clear some things about the gameplay and this is a demo, you could use a Git to work with your project so you can rollback prior version if you are not happy with the implementations, and so you are gaining experience and learning, while you try.

If you realise, every concept that I described you, is in RA1, so you won't getting far about your idea of a remake (guardin, knockdown, combos, tech grab/throws). If you wanted to redefine the gameplay you must think about new gameplay.

Draco74

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sorry for not being clear, with "impacting" I mean the time the enemy needs to recover of the hit. Right now the 1st and 2nd attacks of the combo, the attack+Up and attack+Down are producing the same effect on the enemy (the impact is low, the hit is not strong). However, the 3rd attack of the combo is stronger and it makes the opponent fly a bit (or quite a lot in case of the megas).

I think I will stop to say "combo" to the sequence of standard attacks, the concept is confused. It's not really a combo, just a fast sequence of attacks. A combo is what you commented in your message, mixing standard attacks with specials in a big sequence.

For me, sincerely, the current gameplay is fine enough hahah, it's a mix between RA1 and Smash Bros. I was looking for something like this, a fast gameplay. But of course I consider your suggestions to improve the experience, that's why I take into account these. In case of the gameplay is complex to apply changes, and I need to test them more (and I do less changes here that in the menus, for example).

Bitou

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So you don't have to change anything if you already have the gameplay you wanted.

• I think Blackwargreymon terra force needs a tweak, it's weak compared to Wargreymon's version.
  • Add Renamon's teleport, leaves effect like RA1

Last edited:

Lord_of_the_Dude

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Alright. So I checked out the update, and I have a couple more suggestions:

- Add Super/Ultimate Moves for all Mega Level Digimons in the game. You know, like in all of the previous Digimon Rumble Arena games... or like all of the other fighting games in general. I believe it is a staple feature in every fighting game. Even Tekken has it now lol

- Add grab/tech throws for every character in the game. This too, is a staple feature in all fighting games. And yeah, this feature is also available in previous Digimon Rumble Arena games.

- As @Bitou mentioned, standard attacks in fighting games like Rumble Arena are generally meant to be a combo if they manage to hit the opponent. Though it is not always the case. I believe you can also give different variations of the standard attacks for each Digimon. For example, all 3 of WarGreymon's standard attacks will always hit the opponent. Meanwhile, MetalSeadramon's third standard attack does not combo with the first and second attack. However, MetalSeadramon's third attack inflicts more damages than most of the other characters and will knock the opponent away if it manages to hit them. I also came up with other ideas for variations of the standard 3-hit attacks such as:

- The third attack does not combo with the first and second attack, but it launches the opponent into the air, opening up more combo potential. The character can either use their jump regular attack or their Up + Special Move to inflict more damages to their opponent.

- The third attack can be charged as needed. If it is fully charged and it manages to hit the opponent, it will immediately break the opponent's guards. And if the opponent does not block it, it will inflict more damages.

- The third attack does not combo with the first and second attack. It is also slower, but it has a 1-hit armor and can push back the opponent if they block it.

- The third attack is cancellable into all or certain Special Moves. For instance, Veemon's third attack will be able to combo with his Vee Headbutt.

Anyway, these are all of my suggestions for now. As both a Digimon fan and a fighting game player myself, I feel like the gameplay could be improved further. And of course, if you need help with the animations for Super Moves and grab features, I can always help you with it. (As soon as we finally figure out how to transfer the MMD animation files I made to Unity anyway)

Also, some bugs I found:

- MetalSeadramon's Poseidon Divide (tidal wave) is extremely overpowered since it is spammable and covers a lot of range. I can even beat Reapermon in Hard difficulty by using this one move over and over again.

- Gabumon's Horn Attack is also overpowered since it has no cool-downs and hard to punish.

- Piedmon's Trump Sword is kind of useless since it has short range and does not do much damage. I would prefer using his Clown Trick as his go-to projectile then his Trump Sword. Maybe you should try to improve upon this one special move by implementing the idea I suggested to you a while back... where the swords become some sort of a boomerang.

Also @Bitou, Renamon actually does have her teleport move. You have to press Down + Special Move

Last edited:

Bitou

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Add Super/Ultimate Moves for all Mega Level Digimons in the game. You know, like in all of the previous Digimon Rumble Arena games... or like all of the other fighting games in general. I believe it is a staple feature in every fighting game. Even Tekken has it now
We talked about this some time ago, he said he replaced them for ultra mode. I also think this will enrich the gameplay

Also @Bitou, Renamon actually does have her teleport move. You have to press Down + Special Move
Yes I know she has the ability implemented, I was meaning about the effect to be improved and put a whirlwind of leaves like original game.

About the combo system and other game play features I was thinking he will have difficulties because it may imply to rewrote a lot of code.

I tried to explain him some basic concepts of fighting games which were present in ra1, but doesn't fit with the game play he wanted to have for his game.

Personally, I find a bit hard playing without moves priorities ( sometimes a normal move crush your special or viceversa) and without being able to chain a simple combo without being punished while I have the advantage and the iniciativa.

As of this version I think reducing the time between hits drastically, could make the next hit to land before the enemy hits tin gone.

The need of the opponent to be knocked down to finish some combos or give a breath to the knocked character with advantage in wake up, or grab tech to counter the defensive players

But this is a casual game and maybe we are seeing as more serious fighting game.

Lord_of_the_Dude

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Add Super/Ultimate Moves for all Mega Level Digimons in the game. You know, like in all of the previous Digimon Rumble Arena games... or like all of the other fighting games in general. I believe it is a staple feature in every fighting game. Even Tekken has it now
We talked about this some time ago, he said he replaced them for ultra mode. I also think this will enrich the gameplay

Yes I know she has the ability implemented, I was meaning about the effect to be improved and put a whirlwind of leaves like original game.

About the combo system and other game play features I was thinking he will have difficulties because it may imply to rewrote a lot of code.

I tried to explain him some basic concepts of fighting games which were present in ra1, but doesn't fit with the game play he wanted to have for his game.

Personally, I find a bit hard playing without moves priorities ( sometimes a normal move crush your special or viceversa) and without being able to chain a simple combo without being punished while I have the advantage and the iniciativa.

As of this version I think reducing the time between hits drastically, could make the next hit to land before the enemy hits tin gone.

The need of the opponent to be knocked down to finish some combos or give a breath to the knocked character with advantage in wake up, or grab tech to counter the defensive players

But this is a casual game and maybe we are seeing as more serious fighting game.
Well, what does Ultra Mode do exactly for each character? I cannot seem to find any difference for the Mega Digimons, so I was under the impression that the system is not yet completed. Though I am not against the Ultra Mode system either. I think it will even give more variations for every character. One idea I have in mind is that Piedmon will summon a shadow of himself which follows all of his previous attacks movements. So all of his attack hits will be doubled. (Kind of like Zero in Marvel vs Capcom or Vergil in DMC5). Then again, I believe a classic huge laser beam can still be implemented for certain characters. I.e. Characters like Dukemon and MetalSeadramon have an Ultimate Move by firing a huge energy blast while characters like Piedmon and Sakuyamon have the Ultra Mode where they get various status effects until the timer runs out.

I also agreed on move priorities. Since generally, regular attacks tend to have higher priorities since they come out faster than special moves. Of course, there are also a few exceptions for characters who don't have projectiles or rushdown type characters.

But well, this is just my expectations for the game. So if it is too difficult for @Draco or does not really fit with the game he envisions, then I would like to apologize. Though I am rather curious what kind of gameplay he is actually aiming for now.

Bitou

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, what does Ultra Mode do exactly for each character? I cannot seem to find any difference for the Mega Digimons, so I was under the impression that the system is not yet completed. Though I am not against the Ultra Mode system either. I think it will even give more variations for every character. One idea I have in mind is that Piedmon will summon a shadow of himself which follows all of his previous attacks movements. So all of his attack hits will be doubled. (Kind of like Zero in Marvel vs Capcom or Vergil in DMC5). Then again, I believe a classic huge laser beam can still be implemented for certain characters. I.e. Characters like Dukemon and MetalSeadramon have an Ultimate Move by firing a huge energy blast while characters like Piedmon and Sakuyamon have the Ultra Mode where they get various status effects until the timer runs out.

I also agreed on move priorities. Since generally, regular attacks tend to have higher priorities since they come out faster than special moves. Of course, there are also a few exceptions for characters who don't have projectiles or rushdown type characters.

But well, this is just my expectations for the game. So if it is too difficult for @Draco or does not really fit with the game he envisions, then I would like to apologize. Though I am rather curious what kind of gameplay he is actually aiming for now.
Agreed, I dont't know what Ultra mode does exactly, but it pushes farther than the no ultra mode moves, and I think it does more damage. I like your ideas about improving ultra mode, those would give more consistency to gameplay.

Yes i'm giving my ideas without knowing very well what he intended for his gameplay, but is that, just ideas, he can decide to implement or not.

EDIT:

@Draco74 :

1. Will you add rookie forms for piedmon and metalseadramon?
  2. If you add Wormmon who will be his Mega?
  3. When you implement Holydramon, which will be his pre, Tailmon or Salamon?
  4. About stages, i have and a idea and is about to make stages based on specific digimon, where they had iconic battles for example: for Metalseadramon, the beach where he kills Whamon, or a deep ocean stage where he chased Whamon, for Piedmon his observatory tower, for BlackWargreymon one the sacred stones that he was trying to destroy, for Gallantmon, zhuqiaomon temple.
  5. I mentioned before, but positron laser of imperialdramon is a beam, maybe you could use a thiner version of metalgarurumon's ice breath and give some purple color, i took a screenshot:

Last edited:

Draco74

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hello! Wow, you provided a huge quantity of suggestions and reports to check, thank you so much. I won't mention all these points now because my message would be too much, but I see some topics you comment that I want to talk about:

- The gameplay I had in mind for this game is a mix between RA1 and Smash Bros. More in detail this means: keeping the in-game evolutions and the battle system of RA1 (lifebar, energy, etc.) but with the movement and the agility of Smash Bros (the gameplay is about jumping, being active, searching for the moment to attack the opponent). RA1 is too much static (is my personal oppinion, of course) and I wanted for something more active, more dynamic. The Digimon must be able to move around the stage faster, with some different attacks for all the situations.
For this kind of gameplay the attacks flinching the players is something to think about carefully, as this can impact the dynamism I want.

- Related with the previous point, the Ultra mode is an addition to keep the RA1 system (rookies can digivolve to megas, and megas can do a final attack). In this case the final attacks are not implemented, and to cover the void produced by this I did the Ultra mode, which is just an increment of damage you do. I'm not really sure yet if the final attacks will arrive or not. In case they do I would probably make an option to choose between them, as the experience is completely different. My idea with the Ultra mode is just for you to think "Ok, be careful" in case the opponent is in that state, or "Ok, let's be aggressive" in case you are the one using Ultra.

- In your last message you mention the stages, @Bitou. Unfortunately I'm very limited with this topic, as I'm not modeler and I cannot make my own stages. I have "remakes" done from RA1 (not done by me) and are the ones I'm using. Of course I will put them with the time, but I'm not able to add new things as the ones you mention. I would love to do it, but I need the models.

- About Magnadramon, I want to use Gatomon. And for Wormmon I like Stingmon, like in RA1. However I'm opened to suggestions, of course. This Digimon is not even started and we can plan the mega better in case you have a Digimon in mind that would fit.

- I liked the proposal you did to add rookie form for Piedmon and Metalseadramon, but knowing they will be boss battles... Not sure now because, in that case, should I do the same with all bosses? I don't know, I have doubts.