Digimon Rumble Arena fangame

Bitou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Im glad that my feedback is useful, im enjoying this project and this is a way to help you in return.

Be careful with sharing the cooldown for the 3 tornados, by that you are limiting moves of wargreymon, i mean if a char has 4 special, with that wargreymon will have 2 because the cooldown of 3 of them is shared.

By knowing that you dont want to extend lines and not adding final moves I can adapt my suggestions to that :D.

It's good to know about your plans to adding more digimon that are not protagonist, it will enrich the roster and the items will add more flow to combats.

I'll keep an eye on this thread of course, so you can count on me in the next versions. If I find something else in this version I will tell you.

Draco74

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hi!

After working on new things, a newer version of the demo is almost ready. This version will contain:

- First version of cards in-game (only cards).
- Options menu, where you can edit the volume of different audio sources, the difficulty, and use passwords!
- New playable Digimon: Patamon (with Seraphimon).

Step by step I'm trying to cover different points I have pending. The objects/items system is a huge thing, so I will see here if I'm doing it in the right way or not. Another big topic I have in the list is the one related hazards in the stages, but step by step.

The cards will appear dynamically in the stages depending of it. For example, they are usable in the forest but won't appear in Reapermon's Den stage.

I will publish it soon, I'm checking the last details.

EDIT:
Here you have:

Same controls as before. I have to say that all digievolved Mega forms playable in the demo are unlocked by password. Can you find them all? :)

Last edited:

Ryukuuma

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
just try the game for the first time, and i absolutly love it

the nostalgia feels so strong on this one. also i see you use english version rather than the japanese one i would love you to make option or use japanese voice instead since it's better and use japanese version soundtrack for the battle or make option for it.
you could see the soundtrack that i mention here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWUicCrFwAk&list=PL52832CB9EED86A32
all the soundtrack are banger .

for card i guess it's different from rumble arena 1? since you need to attack it first to obtain it, i know this one already mention before since you don't to implent ultimate attack for now but wargreymon terraforce fits better for ultimate attack and use dragon killer for his special attack .and i see you use digimon rumble arena 2 as inspiration for the moveset, and oh shit there's ultra!

bug that i found :
after playing some times on easy mode the cpu(agumon) just go to the right and do nothing, and when i go to the left the camera got confused on where to focus(waterfall stage).
wargreymon terraforce hitbox can't hix rookie digimon
when i use gabumon i spam special attack down, basic, down, up the basic one got stuck not dissapear so i got free special attack haha
patamaon special attack up is really hard to hit
serapihmon special attack up could be used twice(spamable)
v-mon special attack is spamable
imperialdramon special attack up can't attack

suggestion that i could give for now :
make cpu vs cpu mode since it's always fun to see computer fighting also could help tracking the bug.
when enemies got KO i think it's better you stick to original digimon arena 1 make it slow motion a bit and make them stay KO underground.
add grab mechanic like digimon rumble arena 1
after certain combo or make enemies flying, make them down like 2-4 second to make pace more realistic instead spamming fighting cause they can't be knocked down.
make confused system like digimon rumble arena 1 after certain combos/damage
make dash animation, when you press right or left twice in a row you could see this mechanic on both rumble arena

Bitou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hello I'm here again, what a pleasant surprise, I logged on to the forum to check and there is a new demo :D

As @Ryukuuma said, the terraforce is not hitting in Patamon (in the other rookies hitted for me).

I don't know if this a bug or is not implemented yet, but the AI doesn't collect cards just keep getting close to you, I remember in the Rumble arena 1 they were colleting theme.
Another good AI improvement for hard diffculty is the AI runs from you when you are evolved to make you waste the transofrmation, they did in Rumble Arena 1 as well.

I like the new char Pata/Seraphimon.

About doing the right way, we can give our feedback.

The options menu surprised me, this is taking the form of a game step by step.

About the cards I like them but chase them while you are evolved is not worth due the bar of evolution gets empty too fast, so I would suggest to increase it a bit. What I would do is to open Rumble Arena 1 and evolve my digi, and count how much time does the digi is evolved, and then adapt if necesary, to my game, but due to your game and rumble arena 1 are very similar in mechanics maybe the digivolve time fits in your game.

My suggestions:
  • Put the name of the stage visible when select.
  • Add pause menu to exit in the middle of the match or restart the match.
  • Increase the evolve time.
  • A rookie for Piedmon would be cool and black agumon fro Blackwargreymon.
  • Distinct a bit the moves of Wargreymon and Blackwargreymon. They feel the same but with a different skin, if so you could put him as a skin and gain 1 slot for a fresh digimon.

Last edited:

Draco74

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
just try the game for the first time, and i absolutly love it

the nostalgia feels so strong on this one. also i see you use english version rather than the japanese one i would love you to make option or use japanese voice instead since it's better and use japanese version soundtrack for the battle or make option for it.
you could see the soundtrack that i mention here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWUicCrFwAk&list=PL52832CB9EED86A32
all the soundtrack are banger .

for card i guess it's different from rumble arena 1? since you need to attack it first to obtain it, i know this one already mention before since you don't to implent ultimate attack for now but wargreymon terraforce fits better for ultimate attack and use dragon killer for his special attack .and i see you use digimon rumble arena 2 as inspiration for the moveset, and oh shit there's ultra!

bug that i found :
after playing some times on easy mode the cpu(agumon) just go to the right and do nothing, and when i go to the left the camera got confused on where to focus(waterfall stage).
wargreymon terraforce hitbox can't hix rookie digimon
when i use gabumon i spam special attack down, basic, down, up the basic one got stuck not dissapear so i got free special attack haha
patamaon special attack up is really hard to hit
serapihmon special attack up could be used twice(spamable)
v-mon special attack is spamable
imperialdramon special attack up can't attack

suggestion that i could give for now :
make cpu vs cpu mode since it's always fun to see computer fighting also could help tracking the bug.
when enemies got KO i think it's better you stick to original digimon arena 1 make it slow motion a bit and make them stay KO underground.
add grab mechanic like digimon rumble arena 1
after certain combo or make enemies flying, make them down like 2-4 second to make pace more realistic instead spamming fighting cause they can't be knocked down.
make confused system like digimon rumble arena 1 after certain combos/damage
make dash animation, when you press right or left twice in a row you could see this mechanic on both rumble arena
Thank you for playing the demo! I hope you liked it ^^

Your feedback is really detailed and it will help me a lot to fix active issues in the game. I'm taking note of everything, thank you so much. Btw I like your proposal of japanese music/voices. Specially for the voices this would be hard to do, but I like the idea.

Hello I'm here again, what a pleasant surprise, I logged on to the forum to check and there is a new demo :D

As @Ryukuuma said, the terraforce is not hitting in Patamon (in the other rookies hitted for me).

I don't know if this a bug or is not implemented yet, but the AI doesn't collect cards just keep getting close to you, I remember in the Rumble arena 1 they were colleting theme.
Another good AI improvement for hard diffculty is the AI runs from you when you are evolved to make you waste the transofrmation, they did in Rumble Arena 1 as well.

I like the new char Pata/Seraphimon.

About doing the right way, we can give our feedback.

The options menu surprised me, this is taking the form of a game step by step.

About the cards I like them but chase them while you are evolved is not worth due the bar of evolution gets empty too fast, so I would suggest to increase it a bit. What I would do is to open Rumble Arena 1 and evolve my digi, and count how much time does the digi is evolved, and then adapt if necesary, to my game, but due to your game and rumble arena 1 are very similar in mechanics maybe the digivolve time fits in your game.

My suggestions:
  • Put the name of the stage visible when select.
  • Add pause menu to exit in the middle of the match or restart the match.
  • Increase the evolve time.
  • A rookie for Piedmon would be cool and black agumon fro Blackwargreymon.
  • Distinct a bit the moves of Wargreymon and Blackwargreymon. They feel the same but with a different skin, if so you could put him as a skin and gain 1 slot for a fresh digimon.
Yes, I uploaded this version too fast maybe hahaha. The cards system is something new and I will have to improve it. You mention here some important points about them:
- The AI is currently ignoring them.
- Their effects on the energy and the Digimon is something I implemented as a first version, but of course it can be improved.

For next version I want to include multiple things. The pause menu is something I must add asap, as it's something easy and fast to do and will add confort to the battles.

BlackWargreymon right now is using the same gameplay as Wargreymon, yes. Just the voices are different. What could I change for it? I can easily change the statistics (speed, jump force) but maybe it's not enough.

I'm seriously thinking on the proposal you did to "remove" the rows for the Megas and, instead, add more rookies to the roster. I'm thinking in how can we select the Mega forms directly in case we want. One interesting option I see is including a selection step prior to the color one to choose the rookie or the mega forms, using the same concept as with the colors (rookie in the left, and mega form in the right).
Related to this point, I can recover a request that was done here before, which is to include Betamon (with Metalseadramon). If I modify the roster to add more rookies, this addition is something I would love to include (is interesting to think on the gameplay of a snake).

Bitou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well I prefer you publish demo frequently, It keeps me on an I can test the features better.

The problem with wargreymon is that the Digimon is an exact clon of Wargreymon, same appearance and moves, except for the color palette of the body and the moves. I see a wasted slot that could be occuppied for Dark Masters (to cover the villain slot) and put Blackwargreymon as skin (Maybe you could do he uses his dark moves assets and preserve his blackwargreymon name) like you did with tsukaimon, blackguilmon, blackmetalgarurumon, blackgabumon, yukiagumon, etc. As they are just recolors but diferent digis, you will have duplicated slots but with seroious trouble making them different from his variant, because the moves are usually the same. You will have the same problem with Omegamon Zwart for example. So my recommendation is to make him a skin, I know it was a suboss char in Rumble Arena and was iconic, but it was just a recolor of wargreymon in the original game too, so if you put him as a skin, you still could use him as a suboss (if you manage to change his name, picscreen when loading and textures on the moves).

This leads to the idea of implement megas as submenu like skin and when pick form the oyu can pick skin, that exactly what I explained before, and I think its the best solution. More roster is always the best feature in a fighting game, and it increases the possibilities that a fav digi of the player is in a lot. If for something when you have the roster complete (I don't know if you already planned it all, or you will add as you wish), and need more slots, you could try to make the cells smaller.

PS: I would like to see Mugendramon, and +1 for the Jap voices over the English voices :D

Thank you very much for read my posts.

Ryukuuma

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You could avoid the slots issues by making scroll selection character by alphabet (you could see svr 2006/7 for what i mean) than selection picture which make slots very limited and need to be re arrange everytime you add new character.

I don't really mind for black digimon have their own separate slots(if you use scroll selection that i mention above) you could make alteration with the moveset like digimon rumble arena 2 did. And you could make the black version as sub bos(if player undefeated) and unlock it by defeating them like digimon rumble arena 1 but you could also make them as 3rd skin when you defeat them. So make all the black skin as sub bos and locked. And you could make like the first sub bos is blackwargreymon, then black metalgarurumon and so on.

You could focus on the original roster first like from digimon rumble arena 1 then focus adding the protagonist up to saver(at least for now) then focus adding roster from digimon rumble arena 2. And finally you could focus entirely on adding new original character, it could help you progress faster since the moveset reference already there.

Draco74

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks for your comments and suggestions, you're helping me a lot. I like this change in the roster but I don't have a clear idea of how to do it yet. I've prepared a concept art of an option that I could use, here it is:

When choosing the Digimon in the cells, this will appear for you to choose the form. In this concept I included Wargreymon X, as some of the megas here have the X form and they could be included too.

As happening right now in the cells, the mega forms won't be available since the beginning. By passwords or by playing, they have to be unlocked first before selecting them.

What do you think of this idea? This change is something big as I have to modify the data structure I use, and the change has to be clear even with the UI.

Bitou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's exactly what I mean, now you have gained 16 more slots, that's 16 more rookies (with his mega). The unlocking is not altered because you just placed the cell in a submenu, so it's fine. I like the idea but im worried about that you have to changed the data structure, it imply that you has to rework a big part of the progress or something?.

I like as this because I like the more playable digimon posible, and it feels more organized too and customizable letting you pick the form instead of picking it from another slot.

Draco74

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's exactly what I mean, now you have gained 16 more slots, that's 16 more rookies (with his mega). The unlocking is not altered because you just placed the cell in a submenu, so it's fine. I like the idea but im worried about that you have to changed the data structure, it imply that you has to rework a big part of the progress or something?.

I like as this because I like the more playable digimon posible, and it feels more organized too and customizable letting you pick the form instead of picking it from another slot.
Yes, the change is big. Right now the definition of the Digimons is by cell (they are assigned to one of them directly), and I use it to manage the data in the other parts of the code (to detect if it's rookie or not, etc.). With this change I've to modify the definition of the Digimon (as the mega forms won't use the normal cells) and this implies a huge refactor. Probably the next version of the demo will contain this as the new thing to show.

About the japanese voices, I recognise that it's something interesting. For the music there is no problem at all, in fact I'll do it (if the music is better, let's use it!). But for the voices... I would need a library/catalogue to take them from, as I'm using existing voices (some of them are ripped by me from Rumble Arena 1/2, and some others are from other games). And in the game I'm managing separately the voice from the attack sound and, cause of it, I need the voices without noise. I think it can be tricky, for now I won't consider it.

Bitou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Then you decide about that refactor. Ill be waiting for the next demo to see your improvements :D.

By the way what about Blackwargreymon?

Draco74

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Then you decide about that refactor. Ill be waiting for the next demo to see your improvements :D.

By the way what about Blackwargreymon?
Thanks ^^

About BlackWargreymon... sincerely, I prefer to have it separately in the roster. I will think how to differentiate him from the normal Wargreymon, but this character had importance in the season 2 and in Rumble Arena 1 as well. I will keep it, at least for now. I will always have time to change in case I want hahaha. For season 2 I planned Veemon and Wormmon, and I could add BlackAgumon as a third rookie for the season.

Ryukuuma

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I could help you for japanese voice, if you want from the original game the japanese title are digimon tamer battle evolution and digimon battle chronicles. For other original digimon for example piemon you could use other digimon or other generic attack from other game.

Btw instead of adding black agumon i think agumon(saver) is better since not only the design is different his skills actually diff from original agumon the only same skill is pepper breath

Draco74

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I could help you for japanese voice, if you want from the original game the japanese title are digimon tamer battle evolution and digimon battle chronicles. For other original digimon for example piemon you could use other digimon or other generic attack from other game.

Btw instead of adding black agumon i think agumon(saver) is better since not only the design is different his skills actually diff from original agumon the only same skill is pepper breath
Hahaha we can keep all three Agumons, we have a lot of available slots :p. I will change things for BlackAgumon / BlackWargreymon and let's go.

Related the change of the data structure I needed to allow the refactor in the Digimon selection menu, luckily it was not that dramatic and I could manage to do the change fast and smooth. I will focus in the fixes you reported in the last messages and I will prepare a new version with this. I don't know when, I think I won't need a lot of time (during these last days I could spend a lot of time on this because I was on vacations, don't expect a weekly demo version).

Bitou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The purpose of make more slot available is to use them well, if the agumon are different in skin and moveset (not just skin) they are indeed different chars, so they do use a slot.

Those are great news that you could manage to do the changes easier than you predict.

Its ok, just spend the time you can in the game.

Ill be watching this thread for updates :)

Draco74

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The purpose of make more slot available is to use them well, if the agumon are different in skin and moveset (not just skin) they are indeed different chars, so they do use a slot.

Those are great news that you could manage to do the changes easier than you predict.

I completely agree with you, in fact that's the purpose of the skin slot, to use another interesting version of that Digimon but keeping the Digimon itself. BlackAgumon will be an exception to this, as the other black versions won't be separated (and in fact I will differentiate him a bit from normal Agumon).

I have a funny topic for you, which is the roster. I planned a roster using the old configuration but now I have more slots and I have to re-decide who will enter.
I think the two big rows must be full of rookie Digimon and we can use the others for special cases (or for more rookies, it's not defined yet). Which Digimon would you expect to be here? Maybe now I can use all main Digimon from season 1, as all of them are classic. Maybe recover MetalEtemon from Gazimon? I don't know, we can all together make a good list.

Ryukuuma

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I completely agree with you, in fact that's the purpose of the skin slot, to use another interesting version of that Digimon but keeping the Digimon itself. BlackAgumon will be an exception to this, as the other black versions won't be separated (and in fact I will differentiate him a bit from normal Agumon).

I have a funny topic for you, which is the roster. I planned a roster using the old configuration but now I have more slots and I have to re-decide who will enter.
I think the two big rows must be full of rookie Digimon and we can use the others for special cases (or for more rookies, it's not defined yet). Which Digimon would you expect to be here? Maybe now I can use all main Digimon from season 1, as all of them are classic. Maybe recover MetalEtemon from Gazimon? I don't know, we can all together make a good list.
It's actually depend on what season you want to cover.
Season 1 = 8 character
Season 2 = 4
Season 3 = 3 or 4 or 5 if you want ryouma and impmon too
There's already 16/17/18 character which fill all the character in one row.
The second character row(which you plan to add another rookie) is tricky since season 4 only have one rookie agunimon (rumble arena 2) so the we could fill it with season 5 main character (4 character) and for other rookie you could add like secondary character but in rookie form for example leomon and ogremon

Bitou

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If that so the is fine with Blackagumon.

MetalEtemon is a great choice, but as a rookie I prefer Goblimon for him.

One of my fav is Mugendramon as I said a post before, as suggestions there are the demon lord with his X antibody forms (which are coming to DMO so maybe you can get the assets), Dark Masters, Protagonists, Royal Knights, 4 Sacred beasts, Olympos XII, the possibilities are limitless. The problem is that there is too many digimon and too few slots and developers ahaha

Ryukuuma

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

One of my fav is Mugendramon as I said a post before, as suggestions there are the demon lord with his X antibody forms (which are coming to DMO so maybe you can get the assets), Dark Masters, Protagonists, Royal Knights, 4 Sacred beasts, Olympos XII, the possibilities are limitless. The problem is that there is too many digimon and too few slots and developers ahaha
I'm all agree with you this choice of character but i think he need to focus on the gameplay first before character since he will still need polish the character animation later which could be problem if he add too many character on early stage. If he polish the gameplay first to the point it playable (like stuff i mention before the knockdown mechanic stuff, etc) for casual player with 2-4 polish character there's chance other dev will join too. And he should make discord server man.

Draco74

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

You're right. And I like Goblimon instead, I forgot him.

I'm all agree with you this choice of character but i think he need to focus on the gameplay first before character since he will still need polish the character animation later which could be problem if he add too many character on early stage. If he polish the gameplay first to the point it playable (like stuff i mention before the knockdown mechanic stuff, etc) for casual player with 2-4 polish character there's chance other dev will join too. And he should make discord server man.
Yes, the gameplay is what will make the game something interesting or not. The bugs and issues you reported before are so useful and I will do my best to improve the experience. Anyway I need to have a plan already defined of how I will locate all Digimon (or big part of them) to be sure all the structure and UI will be enough and flexible to manage it.

About the animations and this kind of stuff, sincerely, I'm not that worried. Of course I want to have professional results and upload something really cool, but I don't want to be that ambicious because I'm not a professional animator / modeler, I need to use existing resources (or make them by myself, in case of animations) and I like to work on new playable characters and add new things. But of course I will do my best to make the animations as good as possible. I test them and I'm editing them actively to improve the experience. The feedback you provide me is something really useful, I use it to detect the weaknesses and improve them.