Digimon Re-Release V-Pet Images and New Info

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Our biggest update yet on these it seems....

Image Thumbnail (custom)

We've been getting information on a re-release of classic V-Pets for nearly 3 months, and while a number of details were sorted out recently thanks to a display at Toy Fair, we have a more solid store listing online now!

EBGames Canada put up a listing for the V-Pet so we have a bunch of new info.

The US price of these is $20, the Canadian price is $30.

The look at the packaging above is based on the original packaging we got for them in North America, the main difference is there is no cover flap with artwork. But it includes the original English logo and all the old visual brand styling from when the V-Pets first came out here.

The EB listing refers to them as "Digimon - Digital Monster Virtual Pet 20th Anniversary Edition". Previously they had been referred to as Digimon Original and Digimon Digivice in listings. It appears Bandai is taking advantage of the increased interest in the brand from the 20th Anniversary of Adventure for that branding (since the original V-Pets came out in the US in 1997, same as Japan.)

The look at the V-Pets themselves show them in the 4 colors we expected...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Brown, Gray, Blue, and Yellow.

Details from the EB listing: (EB lists the color as random, but that appears to be them having just one listing for them, they don't appear to be blindboxed in any fashion.)

Bandai Digimon is the unique Digital Monster from cyberspace. Accessed from Megalithic Mainframe, Digimon comes to you to be hatched, raised and trained for the ultimate monster match -- a cyber showdown between one Digimon and another. With the exclusive dock ’n rock action, you link up your Digimon with your friend’s Digimon -- only one will win! Who will reign victorious? It depends on how well you raised and trained your Digimon. Feed him well; train him thoroughly. For when the time comes for Digimon to return to the Megalithic Mainframe, his ultimate honor is to be the strongest!
Controlling a virtual reality monster is an awesome responsibility. Your Digimon has journeyed far to be trained by you. Train your Digimon well, and you will be rewarded with a Digimon that is – the strongest! What kind of Digimon will you raise?

• The original virtual Monster you loved back in the ‘90s is back!
  • Feed him, provide medical attention, turn lights on/off, clean up after him, check his heath and train him then pit in against your friend’s Digimon in a binary bout.
  • Digimon will alert you when he’s hungry or requires more training.
  • Engage the exclusive dock ‘n rock feature and pit your Digimon in a binary bout against your friend’s Digimon
  • The Digital Monster you train for action

The product description itself is largely details from the original North American release rather than more solid product details (no mention of how many Digimon may show up, if we get any of the quality of life improvements from the Japanese 20th products, etc.)

EB gives an expected release date of July 5th.

Gamestop in the US is still taking preorders for $20 each. The SKU if they have trouble finding it (if you go in to pre-order) is 191562. At the moment this is not listed at GameStop's website and you have to go into the store. When you give them the SKU they will likely say it's for 'Assorted Digivice', this is the correct item.

These are the first North American releases of a Digimon V-Pet in over a decade.

No doubt more information soon!

Previous news about these can be found here, here, and here.

AguChamp

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm so ready for these! Time to run to my local gamestop!

DigiCollect

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have a question for those who have used these. As someone who has never played these before and has no experience with raising digimon in the videogames either, what's the learning curve look like? Do you think it's quick to pick up, or is it easy to accidentally kill them or something?

crait

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is super exciting!! I am going to pre-order one as soon as I am well enough to get out of bed!

DraCat

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Anyone know where can I get this outside of North America? Premium Bandai doesn't have these :(

totentanz

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have a question for those who have used these. As someone who has never played these before and has no experience with raising digimon in the videogames either, what's the learning curve look like? Do you think it's quick to pick up, or is it easy to accidentally kill them or something?

They're not very hard to raise, they just need attention. If they're exactl the same as the OG ones, then really all you need to make sure you do is control how many mistakes and training sessions you do. Easy, but if you go in blind it's a lot of fun to experiment.

DigiCollect

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They're not very hard to raise, they just need attention. If they're exactl the same as the OG ones, then really all you need to make sure you do is control how many mistakes and training sessions you do. Easy, but if you go in blind it's a lot of fun to experiment.
Well that's fantastic to hear. When these release I'll grab one and see how it goes then!

DaiTigris

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
ERROR::DaiTigris.Location could not be found.
Some part of me just smiles at the term "Binary Bout", it's nerdy and cool at the same time. Otherwise these are looking nice and I'm really digging the packaging. Even if they aren't quite up to par with the JP 20th's I wouldn't lie if I'd say I'm still tempted to pick a few up for my collection. On top of that buying two at most would still be less(USD) than what I paid for a single White X last fall.

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hell yeah, I was hoping these would be Digital Monster rereleases and not just like, light-up Digivice props or something. Good thing I preordered one already!

Nagatem

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well I’m super disappointed, i just wanted a digimon adventure digivice prop,
im canceling my 3 preorders, sure I’ve never played with the original digimon v pet, but considering the age and style nowadays I wouldn’t have any fun looking at a few black and white pixels beeping

DL22003

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well I’m super disappointed, i just wanted a digimon adventure digivice prop,
im canceling my 3 preorders, sure I’ve never played with the original digimon v pet, but considering the age and style nowadays I wouldn’t have any fun looking at a few black and white pixels beeping
For a 80s kid like me, there's a certain beauty in the 16x16 pixel arts, even when sometimes they don't really look like the Digimons they're supposed to represent.

As for the devices themselves, if they go for the v-pet 20th contents I wonder how they're going to distribute the exclusive eggs or if they're going to shove them all into every device.

crait

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope that they include the new content, but I am curious, is there a place where I can see a list of all the little updates that the JP versions got?

EDIT: I found some info, here: https://wikimon.net/Digital_Monster_Ver.20th

Digital Monster Ver.20th (デジタルモンスター ver.20th Dejitaru Monsutā ver.20th) is a remake of the original Digital Monster Virtual Pet for the 20th Anniversary of the Digimon franchise but with plenty of new features. It contains all of the Ver.1 to Ver.5 from the first generation Digimon Virtual Pet line inside it. It has a roster of more than 115 Digimon and simple functions, behaving like a battling Tamagotchi. It now evolves through 6 stages after hatching from the DigiTama, beginning with the Baby I stage and ending in the Ultimate stage, but some could Ultimate can also combine. Players can now raise two Digimon at once and participate in an in-game single or tag battle. Each color contain one exclusive egg which is unobtainable on different color.

Last edited:

Nagatem

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@ DL22003
Don’t get me wrong it’s cool, seeing as i grew up on the original run of digimon on fox kids, but I really wanted some collectable props for adventure, since i have davis’s d3 and d terminal and takato’s gold d arc, would have been nice to get a tai or matt digivice or a tk d3, I’ll probably still get the yellow one but cancel my order for the other 2

e105zeta

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ugh wish there was more information. I still have my US Ver 1 Greymon version from 1996, and don't want to spend 20 bucks on these unless they're Digital Monster Ver 20ths.

humulos

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is so exciting! Finally I don't have to pay an exorbitant amount to import a pet, I can just buy one off the shelf! Definitely picking a few up, hoping that it will be both Version 1 AND 2 as options. Gonna grab one for my nephew too.

Note that this PROBABLY isn't the Ver.20th release, but rather a reproduction of the original Digital Monster with a new battery type, just like the Tamagotchi that released last year.

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope it covers more than just Version 1. I'm not sure what versions actually got released in the US back in the day though.

Gigamon23

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope it covers more than just Version 1. I'm not sure what versions actually got released in the US back in the day though.
It was only version 1. My guess is that they'll do something of the same thing they did with the 20th re-release of the Tamagotchi and stick with the same version they released in the US. Same mechanics and everything.

It's just as possible, though, that they take the Japanese 20ths and just lock some features to make it more like the original release.

Even so....might still try to convince my wife to let me buy it....

e105zeta

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was only version 1. My guess is that they'll do something of the same thing they did with the 20th re-release of the Tamagotchi and stick with the same version they released in the US. Same mechanics and everything.

It's just as possible, though, that they take the Japanese 20ths and just lock some features to make it more like the original release.

Even so....might still try to convince my wife to let me buy it....
Ver 2 also had a very limited release in US, saw one in stores myself.

MagicBox

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Holy cow! A domestic Digimon product that I actually want? These past few years I've just been importing Japanese blu-ray boxes and artbooks and paying middleman delivery services, and I've just gotten so darn tired of all the extra steps. The thought of simply walking into a store and buying something for the price of a new movie on DVD... what a concept.

You better believe I'm picking this up. I've got my Version 20th (that I've yet to open), and it would be cool if these were compatible. But even if they're not, and they're just the original 90s versions reprinted, I'm still cool with that.

Despite never owning a 90s V-Pet, seeing that Bandai "Digimon" logo just overwhelms me with nostalgia.