Digimon Profile Art & Kenji Watanabe Adventure: Episode 16 Art

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just a short weekend post this time...

After Digimon Adventure: episode 16 aired, Digimon Web put up art! Rather than the standard social art, they gave up the profile art for Eyesmon: Scatter Mode and Eyesmon. The attached message:

Thank you for watching episode 16, The Jet-Black Shadow Invades Tokyo! Appearing in front of Taichi and the others is Eyesmon: Scatter Mode! A horde of them gather to become a large single Digimon "Eyesmon"! It will appear on the Digimon Reference Book at a later date, so please wait.šŸ„ŗ
Stay tuned next time for episode 17, Last Battle in Tokyo- Orochimon.

Plus new art from Kenji Watanabe!

This time he did an image with a very horror movie vibe to it with Agumon looking at the camera and Eyesmon behind him. The attached message:
I'm participating in a doll show today, so I haven't watched the anime yet, well... it's a new character (^^;;

Small batch of smaller stuff this week, but profile art of both versions of Eyesmon, plus the fun (and creepy) image from Kenji Watanabe is nice for a small batch.

Attachments

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That Eyesmon design looks really cool and refreshing! Definitely one of the best digimon designs I've seen for a while

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That Eyesmon design looks really cool and refreshing! Definitely one of the best digimon designs I've seen for a while
It feels Super that you were able to Open Your Heart to the design on this Adventure with all the Perfect characters fighting the Chaos.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When I discovered those forms of Eyesmon on Wikimon, my first impression were Hellsing, FullMetal Alchemist and horror creatures from certain mangas besides Shademon design. It does feel Grimdark Digimon vibes! Because of this Kenji's new art.

I don't know why Eyesmon was given for Orochimon's evo.............. How disappointment.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At least they gave a separate name to the Scatter Mode. I was afraid that after showing the name of the "evolved" form, they will omit naming the basic form.

Lord Bearmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's also weird to me that the big one seems to be the normal Eyesmon and the smaller ones are called Scattered Mode, instead of calling the big one Merged Mode or something. Unless, they both have a suffix when the big one gets his profile.

There's a lot of poor design choices in this Eyesmon > Orochimon > Nighoggmon in my opinion; making it look like Shademon when they have no connection, Eyesmon merging only counts as a mode change, instead of making the scattered ones a different Child Digimon, and making Nidhoggmon when we have Bacchusmon. Not saying that the art is bad though, Eyesmon's art looks awesome.

Last edited:

Firerockbird

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
eyesmon has strong influences on the hell dog from Hellsing and pride from Fullmetal, but I still think the adult shape design is somewhat vague because apart from the thousands of eyes he is basically a "black snake" without many details.

Last edited:

IndustrialPanic

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's a lot of poor design choices in this Eyesmon > Orochimon > Nighoggmon in my opinion; making it look like Shademon when they have no connection, Eyesmon merging only counts as a mode change, instead of making the scattered ones a different Child Digimon, and making Nidhoggmon when we have Bacchusmon. Not saying that the art is bad though, Eyesmon's art looks awesome.
I think scattered mode is supposed to be the child stage as opposed to true mode chage, so it's just a more confusing version of the Algomon naming convention, tho I too think it's weird when they're just using it for two stages insted of the whole line. They should've just called the adult version Shademon (2020) honestly, but idk, maybe they couldn't get Yuuki Nakashima's blessing or something and didn't wanna risk upsetting them?

Don't really agree with the Bacchusmon thing tho. Yes, both him and Orochimon are both drunk snake monsters, but you have to remember that he's a member of the Olympus XI. Him showing up as a "mid-boss" with not connection to the Olympus makes as much sense as lillymon fighting a random dukemon to get her ultimate. You could say that doesn't really matter, and tbh I don't care that much either, but after xros wars they probably don't want to risk making fans mad when people are still complaining about Lucemon and Huanglongmon.

Notus

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I second the notion that Bachusmon woould be a poorer choice. He may fit as an evo for Orochimon, but story-wise would be very weird, unless the Olympus XII as a whole would be antagonists. Besides, we're getting new Digimon, and that's always a good thing.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When I discovered those forms of Eyesmon on Wikimon, my first impression were Hellsing, FullMetal Alchemist and horror creatures from certain mangas besides Shademon design. It does feel Grimdark Digimon vibes! Because of this Kenji's new art.

I don't know why Eyesmon was given for Orochimon's evo.............. How disappointment.
Tbf since orochimon has 8 heads it has 16 eyes so I guess it's fitting as an evolution that way.

Poor Shademon though he's completely irrelevant now. In before Eyesmon gets Luminamon too.

Mattman324

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Eyesmon is a bit... overdesigned, by Adult standards, but it's not a bad design by any means so I'm fine with it. Scatter Mode looks cool too.

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Eyesmon is absolutely horrific looking, I love it. I feel like the resemblance to Shademon can't be a coincidence, but an intentional reference.

Taso

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wish this guy was an ultimate, seems like it would be a nice evo for either Shademon or Fangmon.

Lord Bearmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Don't really agree with the Bacchusmon thing tho. Yes, both him and Orochimon are both drunk snake monsters, but you have to remember that he's a member of the Olympus XI. Him showing up as a "mid-boss" with not connection to the Olympus makes as much sense as lillymon fighting a random dukemon to get her ultimate.
I'd make as much as sense as evolving into Omegamon, Imperialdramon PM, Dukemon or Magnamon but with no connection to the Royal Knights.

And besides we already had almost half of the non-Olympos XII Digimon appeared but were unrelated to the Olympos XII; Mercurymon, Neptunemon, Mervamon, Marsmon, and Apollomon. The only problem I had with them was that they were shown to be lame and not strong, which doesn't sound like what Nidhoggmon is going to be at all.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tbf since orochimon has 8 heads it has 16 eyes so I guess it's fitting as an evolution that way.

Poor Shademon though he's completely irrelevant now. In before Eyesmon gets Luminamon too.
But Eyesmon isn't even... Snake. Just horror eyes in the shadow.

Eyesmon is Adult huh. So Eyesmon - Digitamamon - DeviTamamon? Besides Algomon.

That Eyesmon Scatter Mode easily could be mistaken as Child level but it's odd usually some digimon tend to create their own clones but weakened powers or mini versions being weapons that explode yet this Eyesmon Scatter Mode got completely new different design.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Huh... Well. That's creepy as words I don't think I can say here. So very evil and perfect for what it's supposed to be. Very nice.

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just a wild guess, but maybe Nidhoggmon's design with be a combination of both Eyesmon and Orochimon. I'd say with a hint of dragon, but I think the hardcore Digimon fandom is sick of those by now.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Don't really agree with the Bacchusmon thing tho. Yes, both him and Orochimon are both drunk snake monsters, but you have to remember that he's a member of the Olympus XI. Him showing up as a "mid-boss" with not connection to the Olympus makes as much sense as lillymon fighting a random dukemon to get her ultimate.
I'd make as much as sense as evolving into Omegamon, Imperialdramon PM, Dukemon or Magnamon but with no connection to the Royal Knights.

And besides we already had almost half of the non-Olympos XII Digimon appeared but were unrelated to the Olympos XII; Mercurymon, Neptunemon, Mervamon, Marsmon, and Apollomon. The only problem I had with them was that they were shown to be lame and not strong, which doesn't sound like what Nidhoggmon is going to be at all.
Following what we saw with Eyesmon, I feel the issue here is that Bacchusmon doesn't really fit what they're going for role-wise or aesthetically.

Looking at your examples, one of the major constants is that the role they're put in fits what they are character-wise. Omegamon is a heroic big good Digimon so it appears beating up the Y2K virus, Imperialdramon PM appears to surpass an apocalyptic level threat that even Omegamon can't beat, Dukemon appears when Takato and Guilmon surpass their negative emotions and grow into a hero that can protect the ones they care about, and Magnamon appeared to stop a rampaging Kimeramon. Even in the cases where they're the villains (usually the typical Yggdrasil plot) they're still portrayed as well meaning characters, they're just misguided in their loyalty, which fits the role that they give those characters.

Between last episode's Eyesmon, this coming episode's Orochimon, and even the summaries for Nidhoggmon it's clear that they're setting it up to be this powerful cataclysmic level threat that the kids have to overcome. Bacchusmon doesn't really fit that, aesthetically it's a fun-looking goofball, and role-wise it's a kind and friendly soul who just wants to help out its friends, neither of which work as a dragon bent on destruction. They could make it a villain, but unless they changed the arc's story around it's not going to have the same oomph in that role.

Plus, just because Nidhoggmon exists doesn't mean Orochimon can't have an alternate evolution to Bacchusmon. Holydramon/Ophanimon have existed for years and both get rotated out as Gatomon's 'canon' final evolution, Bacchusmon and Nidhoggmon (and Xuanwumon for that matter) can be the same.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd assume that Orochimon was primarily chosen to serve as a gateway between Eyesmon and this Nidhoggmon, similar to Ogremon>Digitamamon>Titamon.

While the differences between Eyesmon and Orochimon are really apparent, there are some minor similarities. Eyesmon (both forms) have long lanky bodies similar to snakes. Orochimon's main body is black, and it is one of the few Digimon that naturally has a large number of eyes.

Mattman324

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Bacchusmon doesn't really fit that, aesthetically it's a fun-looking goofball,
So was Etemon, but it was still always portrayed as a massive threat that required the first Perfect evolution of that series to beat.