Digimon Profile #9- How to Read the Digimon Encyclopedia

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Huh having GoldNumemon at Perfect level so he can evolve to PlantiumNumemon really makes sense but I guess that is official Adult level for now.
I think it being at Ultimate level is what caused Cyber Sleuth to pull it out of its 15 years of unused hell since it seemed to want every poop monster ever but there was a lack of them at the Ultimate level (and KingSukamon didn't seem to want to be used as a playable monster)

GoldNumemon at Champion feels like a waste as it'd be perfect for Numemon > Gold > Platinum

Goldnumemon has quite literally never been at the Perfect level. Not even once. It has never happened. It has been an Ultimate a few times, and, most of the time, has been an Adult - this includes in Cyber Sleuth, which is why two of the three things it can become are Perfects and the four things it comes from are Child levels. It can just also skip a level to become Platinum (which has an effect on your ABI that no other Digimon replicates when you evolve between them, unless I'm forgetting one - most of the other level skippers in CS were Child --> Perfect).

This is why Blackkingnumemon is a Perfect!

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was talking about BlackKingNumemon, not GoldNumemon in the first part of my post. I said that GoldNumemon being Champion is a waste and he should've been changed to Ultimate (Perfect) as a nice in-between of Numemon > Gold > Platinum, but since they ended up making him Champion they pulled BKNmon out of his 15 years of being unused as he's the only Ultimate (Perfect) Numemon species. I'm fully aware GNmon's never been Ultimate (Perfect), my point was changing him to that in Cyber Sleuth instead of making him Champion (well, technically World Data Squad used him as a Champion first) is annoying

Funnily enough, BKNmon debued as a Mega in Digimon World 3... and was dropped to Ultimate (Perfect) in the card game.

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Going by this, I'm somewhat surprised DORUmon and Ryudamon's lines aren't Free. I think in terms of lore they're supposed to be the oldest Digimon discovered by humans.

For me, DORUmon and Ryudamon's evo lines are the "newest ones" with the oldest Prototype gem models installed but I know they are experimental Prototype Digimon before Digimon were discovered according to its profile so maybe they are the First Digimon ones ever? Raptordramon's line might have to be the oldest evo due to Alphamon, not matching to DORUmon and Ryudamon in every way not for a single thing for appearances or shares common thing/traits. DORUmon for Beast Dragon all the way. Ryudamon for Samurai Dragon all the way. But Raptordramon to Alphamon? Yeah nope... At least Dragon to Warrior is just common evo for Red color leaders.

In that logic, let's include Dracmon's line, too. AND BanchoStingmon because it got both Free and Variable....So confusing.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Goldnumemon who got in the Reference Book was the Adult form, probably unsurprisingly enough. I wonder if we'll ever get one for its Ultimate form like how Whamon has two entries.
I get the feeling that GoldNumemon Ultimate was just an early concept that eventually got scrapped, much like several of the Perfects introduced in Ver.S. I guess Whamon's more of an exception because its Adult form was so prominently featured in early media (maybe it's just me, but it seems like the original set of V-pets and the first Digimon World tend to be far more well-remembered than Ver.S or the mobile games). As an aside, I think Minotaurmon was just that one Ver.S Digimon who got away in the very early card game before they could properly retcon its level.

Attribute reclassification doesn't need to be explained. Most of the time it's purely just for gameplay or technical reasons. Besides, a Digimon species can have multiple attributes, even if only one attribute is specifically recorded in the DRB.
Maybe back in the day, Digimon could have multiple attributes, but lately, the franchise seems to have generally been keeping consistency with whatever's listed in the Reference Book (more so with the 02 Digimon being widely acknowledged as being Free rather than the card game or some video games giving them a standard attribute). Anything deviating from it seems more like it could've been an unintentional error (ex. GranKuwagamon being a Virus in Cyber Sleuth, and whatever the hell's going on with Cherubimon Vice), and if a Digimon does intentionally have a different attribute, it'll be given a recolor or something to make it stand apart as a variant. At any rate, I feel like the days of Hyper Colosseum profiles referring to a "rare" Data Imperialdramon or Vaccine Wormmon are long over.

Variable is not dependent on location. It's dependent on the "situation." How it works in the original TCG is that Variable assumes the most-effective attribute against the enemy it's attacking. Against Viruses, Variable becomes Vaccine. Against Vaccine, it becomes Data. It responds with the most superior choice depending on the situation.
Is that really how it worked? I always heard that Variable matched the type that it was fighting against, making it truly neutral (for that matter, did attribute match-ups even come up in the card game much, aside from early sets where Vaccine, Data, and Virus were respectively tied to A, B, and C attack types?). Supposedly the only type with an advantage against every other type is Unknown, and I think that only comes up in Digimon Masters.

AND BanchoStingmon because it got both Free and Variable....So confusing.
It's not that confusing. The card game just never really had a Free attribute, but it did introduce Variable with the Frontier Digimon. Since Variable is pretty close to Free anyway, they gave Variable to a newly-introduced Digimon that was supposed to have Free.