Digimon Profile #9- How to Read the Digimon Encyclopedia

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
digimonprofile9_may25_2021.png

A new Digimon Profile has gone up on Digimon Web!

Digimon Profile #9 is a report on how to read the Digimon Encyclopedia (the reference book.) It is also the first Digimon Profile under the category of 'Digital Basic Knowledge'

It explains the 6 main text sections of every reference book entry:
Digimon name
Level
Type
Attribute
Special moves

Agumon Hakase also comments that the information they get for the Digimon Reference Book is through difficult tearful research. Their research method is a trade secret that they refuse to divulge though.

At the same time we also got a reference book update!

goldnumemon_may25_2021.png
blackkingnumemon_may25_2021.png

GoldNumemon
BlackKingNumemon

Prior Digimon Profiles:
Introduction & First 5 Profiles
#6- Report on the Four Holy Beasts & their Subordinates
#7- Vehicle Digimon
#8- Knight Digimon

Attachments

• digimonprofile9_may25_2021.jpg
    digimonprofile9_may25_2021.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 5,737

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Huh, the information about how the attributes work is interesting. Mostly in that "Free" is from before the others existed so I guess that's why Armor Digimon, and Digimon related to Armor, have it - though that then makes you wonder why Spadamon and Reapmon are Free attribute. (Hudiemon too, though she's related to Wormmon so is Free due to evolving from him I suppose). Maybe Reapmon evolves from some of the more evil Armor Digimon which causes him to be Free attribute? people like Wizardmon, but this new info about how Free Attribute works, and with Reapmon being Free for some reason, makes it slightly less compatible as a Wizardmon evolution. Eh I'm putting to much thought into it. Still, we learned some interesting lore/information from this that I don't beleive was ever stated about the attributes before.

Also maybe we're gonna get a second Digimon Profile report? seems weird the two poop Digimon were put into the DRB, only for it to not be related to Digimon Profile.

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Goldnumemon who got in the Reference Book was the Adult form, probably unsurprisingly enough. I wonder if we'll ever get one for its Ultimate form like how Whamon has two entries.

Akiruaz

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
lool, I liked how they omitted something that could have changed the way of seeing the official profiles, it was just a piece of information xD

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Huh having GoldNumemon at Perfect level so he can evolve to PlantiumNumemon really makes sense but I guess that is official Adult level for now.

But I'm surprised they actually updated on Numemon species.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Huh having GoldNumemon at Perfect level so he can evolve to PlantiumNumemon really makes sense but I guess that is official Adult level for now.

But I'm surprised they actually updated on Numemon species.

I think it being at Ultimate level is what caused Cyber Sleuth to pull it out of its 15 years of unused hell since it seemed to want every poop monster ever but there was a lack of them at the Ultimate level (and KingSukamon didn't seem to want to be used as a playable monster)

GoldNumemon at Champion feels like a waste as it'd be perfect for Numemon > Gold > Platinum but if that caused BKN to wind up re-appearing, then it's worth it.

Now create a regular KingNumemon and put him into the DRB.

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The attribute explanations are pretty big lore revelations.

Sparrow Hawk

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Free Attribute blew my mind off... This new report did mentioned Digimental digieggs in ancient times and Free Attribute is ACTUALLY ANCIENT attribute?! Even before Attribute trio existed... Freaking that is HUGE DISCOVERY.
But how do they explain that about some ones had Vaccine/Data/Virus before reclassified as Free? I will look forward for that next explanation.

Oh yeah Vaccine/Data/Virus attribute explanations surprised me. Data isn't neutral? Huh it exists to adapt to the environment it lives...

Glad Variable attribute finally got mentioned but what does it mean by "irregular" according to the place? Elemental environment or what?

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
But how do they explain that about some ones had Vaccine/Data/Virus before reclassified as Free? I will look forward for that next explanation.

Oh yeah Vaccine/Data/Virus attribute explanations surprised me. Data isn't neutral? Huh it exists to adapt to the environment it lives...

That's just games and vpets using Free instead of None for simplicity, since None and Free are basically the same thing so there's no point coding it so that both are in the vpet/game.

And tbf, since it pretty much talks about Virus and Vaccine forever fighting - Data *is* neutral there.

Last edited:

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Going by this, I'm somewhat surprised DORUmon and Ryudamon's lines aren't Free. I think in terms of lore they're supposed to be the oldest Digimon discovered by humans.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Free Attribute blew my mind off... This new report did mentioned Digimental digieggs in ancient times and Free Attribute is ACTUALLY ANCIENT attribute?! Even before Attribute trio existed... Freaking that is HUGE DISCOVERY.

Glad Variable attribute finally got mentioned but what does it mean by "irregular" according to the place? Elemental environment or what?
It's not really a "new" discovery since that's what they have always implied from the beginning. The whole gimmick with the 02 partners (and their related evolutions) was that they were descendants of ancient species, and they were also all Free-attribute. You put two and two together, and get "ancient species ancestry = Free-attribute"

Attribute reclassification doesn't need to be explained. Most of the time it's purely just for gameplay or technical reasons. Besides, a Digimon species can have multiple attributes, even if only one attribute is specifically recorded in the DRB.

Data is still "neutral" in relation to the other two, so I don't know what you're talking about. It neither rewrites nor restores the environmental data. It accepts the environment as it is without altering anything, unlike Virus and Vaccine.

Variable
is not dependent on location. It's dependent on the "situation." How it works in the original TCG is that Variable assumes the most-effective attribute against the enemy it's attacking. Against Viruses, Variable becomes Vaccine. Against Vaccine, it becomes Data. It responds with the most superior choice depending on the situation.

Sparrow Hawk

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's just games and vpets using Free instead of None for simplicity, since None and Free are basically the same thing so there's no point coding it so that both are in the vpet/game.

And tbf, since it pretty much talks about Virus and Vaccine forever fighting - Data *is* neutral there.

Well yeah but still honestly I kinda want good explanation on this lore and old traditional cards.

... In my dream. Sadly.

Yeah Data is being dragged into the war. Poor Data types.

EDITED: I assumed Data attribute exists to restore the environment or improve it. But I didn't think adapting to it enter my mind.
Adapting is odd way. To me, it is kinda more of evolution thing rather than Attribute like some species adapted to certain environment. I guess I find your explanation that makes sense. Without altering anything.

Oh yeah I remember that part... So vaguely. That report pretty matched well to that countering hard thing.

Last edited:

Mynor

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
my personal headcanon with attributes were that virus digimon are skilled at or prone to destroy things and vaccines are more likely to preserve and protect but seeing that viruses simply change an environment and vaccines restore environments to previous states actually makes a ton of sense, as don't computer viruses tend to alter your computer more than outright delete things?

ShikaSS

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Attribute descriptions are not new. Even the "recent" Digital Monster Artbook mentioned them.

Kind of a lame update. See ya in two weeks :confused:

Sparrow Hawk

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Which Digital Monster artbook series? And what page is at? For Attributes.

Tortoiseshel

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
my personal headcanon with attributes were that virus digimon are skilled at or prone to destroy things and vaccines are more likely to preserve and protect but seeing that viruses simply change an environment and vaccines restore environments to previous states actually makes a ton of sense, as don't computer viruses tend to alter your computer more than outright delete things?
A lot of different types of malware such as worms and trojan horses get lumped under the label of "virus" by laypeople, but much like a biological virus, computer viruses by definition need a host program to infect and modify in order to replicate themselves. So, yeah, an uncommonly accurate depiction of computer viruses from pop culture, although not exactly unexpected from Digimon! I love when they do stuff like that.

Sparrow Hawk

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Found it but it look like it didn't have Free and Variable Attribute explanations? And when that artbook released, there weren't any translation so that's why.