Digimon Profile #35- The Dark Area of the Digital World

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
digimonprofile35_june7_2022.png

A new Digimon Profile has gone up on Digimon Web!

Digimon Profile #35 is an article that details information on the Dark Area and the Digimon you can find there.

The introduction from Agumon Hakase...
This time, we will introduce you to the "Dark Area," a hellish area that is also a stronghold of dark Digimon.

What is the "Dark Area"?
The data of Digimon that died in battle has to go somewhere, right? Anubismon safeguards and oversees this process. Data judged “good” is reincarnated into a Digi-Egg, while data judged to be “bad” is sent to wander in the Dark Area.
  • A deteriorated environment akin to a graveyard or hell for Digimon.
  • Some Digimon who committed evil deeds are sent to the Dark Area while still alive, and may transform into Fallen Angels or Demon Lord Digimon.
  • The normal Digital World, Digital World: Iliad, and others each have their own Dark Areas.
  • Each Dark Area is connected to a deepest layer known as Cocytus. There is only one Cocytus, an area shared by each and every Digital World.

The Guardian and Overseer of the Dark Area
Anubismon- Constantly monitors the Dark Area, acting as the judge of the Digital World.

Digimon Inhabiting the Dark Area
Digimon like Evilmon, Dracumon, Phascomon, Porcupamon. Some are there by choice, others by exile.

Typical Digimon that have been corrupted and fallen into the "Dark Area."
Digimon like Devimon, Deathmon, SkullSatamon. They fell into the Dark Area due to the evil they committed in the Digital World.

Digimon Who Make Cocytus Their Stronghold
GrandDracumon, Gulfmon. Just like the Seven Great Demon Lords, they’ve made Cocytus their base of operations. Each one is an incredibly powerful and exceptionally dangerous being.

Agumon Hakase finishes with...
Some Digimon like Astamon call the area their stomping grounds, while other Digimon like Voltobautamon were born from accumulated grudges. By nature, Digimon who reach the end of their lifespan leave behind the data composing themselves in Digi-Egg form and are reborn, so the Dark Area doesn’t have much to do with them... Still, the fact remains that it’s a dangerous place. You’d better be a stand-up ’mon in the Digital World, or get ready for a big fall!

Prior Digimon Profiles:
Introduction & First 5 Profiles
#6- Report on the Four Holy Beasts & their Subordinates
#7- Vehicle Digimon
#8- Knight Digimon
#9- How to Read the Digimon Encyclopedia
#10- The "Four Great Dragons" Digimon
#11- Levels
#12- Armor Level & Digimentals
#13- The Digital World's Super Alloy, Chrome Digizoid
#14- Hybrid Forms & Spirits
#15- The Three Great Angels and the Kernel
#16- Digimoji and Digicode
#17- How to Draw Gammamon
#18- Food Digimon
#19- Scary Digimon that Embody the Spirit of Halloween
#20- Digimon Types/Attributes
#21- Digimon Jogress/Fusion
#22- Digimon Rivalries
#23- Speedy Digimon
#24- Digimon with Dreams
#25- Digimon of the D-Brigade
#26- The Seven Great Demon Lords
#27- X-Program & X-Antibody
#28- Digimon Classifications
#29- Digimon in the Crack Team
Sukamon Profile #30- Sukamon and Digimon Poop- Fake Agumon Hakase Takes Over Digimon Profile for April 1st
#31- Digimon That Are Perfect for Flower Viewing
#32- The Other-Dimensional Digital World of Witchelny
#32- The Other-Dimensional Digital World of Witchelny
#33- The Fabled Legend-Arms Digimon
#34- The Enigmatic Digimon of the Olympos XII & Reference Book Updates

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 13,487

YongYoKyo

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting how Cocytus connects every Digital World together.

Also, new confirmation that Gulfmon inhabits Cocytus. Its profile previously mentioned that it came from the depths of the Dark Area, but that was before they introduced the concept of Cocytus.
I did notice before how Gulfmon and GranDracmon have a lot of similarities, both being Demon Beast-types with very similar body-shapes. Cocytus is now another similarity, and I do wonder how much of it is intentional and why.

Muur

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I did always wonder if Illad had its own Dark Area. Never thought they all would. I find it interesting they all connect via the Cocytus, I guess anyone aware of that could use it to travel between Digital Worlds. Cause some trouble in Illiad and then run to another Digital World via the Dark Area/Cocytus and then the Olympos are like why can't we find that guy who caused trouble, cuz now you're hiding in Yggys World. That has the potential of interesting ideas.

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I assume the Cocytus only connects the three Digital Worlds in each dimension/universe where there are the three Worlds, not all the Digital Worlds in multiverse.

This one is an interesting Profile. Thanks Bandai.

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ohh Dark Area report got some new information!

I always assumed Dark Area is simply the experiment trash area which Yggdrasil simply got dissatisfied with the experimental plannings while monitoring the digital world and largely ignoring it completely which it caused this trash area transformed into "Dark Area" and it got cut off. Oh well time to discard this headcanon theory.

Stronghold huh yet Anubismon did nothing... But at least in other story, he reported to Royal Knights for help. So it's cool Anubismon got to appear often!

Deathmon and SkullSatamon better have their own new Angel digimon forms that should reveal in the future...

Bancho

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
  • The normal Digital World, Digital World: Iliad, and others each have their own Dark Areas.
  • Each Dark Area is connected to a deepest layer known as Cocytus. There is only one Cocytus, an area shared by each and every Digital World.

this is the information I enjoyed the most. It seems Plutomon and Anubismon have similar roles but in different worlds.

Hey, do you guys remember in Cyber Sleuth where Sayo killing the Digimon Story DS universe's Demon Lords made them more powerful in the other universes? With the new information of every Digital World sharing one Cocytus, I think these two details may be connected

Darklabo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Like Bancho said, I think Anubismon is the guardian of « our » Dark Area while Plutomon guards Iliad’s Dark Area.
I wonder who is the guardian of the Egyptian-Themed Digital World, if there is a guardian in chef who oversee every Dark Areas, and what happen when a Digimon die in the Network.

Also, does every evil Digimon are imprisoned in the DA when they die ? None of them can reincarnate ? What happen if you kill a Deathmon for example, does he respawn in the DA ? And what happen if you kill it IN the DA ? This system doesn’t sound very effective to get rid of evil Digimon.
I assume the Cocytus only connects the three Digital Worlds in each dimension/universe where there are the three Worlds, not all the Digital Worlds in multiverse.

What do you mean by « three Digital Worlds » ?
Yggdrasill’s one, Iliad, and what is the third one ?

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The three Worlds I meant are the ones mentioned by Habu years ago. Three DWs. One hosted by Yggdrasil. One by Homeros. And the other one which is still unknown.
We haven't get further info about it, about what Habu meant.

I assumed the Profile was talking about those worlds. And I thought Cocytus connects the three in every universe theoretically. So the other universes/dimensions have their own Cocytus.

But I may be wrong on that.
So I think it could connect all universes in digimon multiverse.

Last edited:

Muur

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Like Bancho said, I think Anubismon is the guardian of « our » Dark Area while Plutomon guards Iliad’s Dark Area.
I wonder who is the guardian of the Egyptian-Themed Digital World, if there is a guardian in chef who oversee every Dark Areas, and what happen when a Digimon die in the Network.

Also, does every evil Digimon are imprisoned in the DA when they die ? None of them can reincarnate ? What happen if you kill a Deathmon for example, does he respawn in the DA ? And what happen if you kill it IN the DA ? This system doesn’t sound very effective to get rid of evil Digimon.

The evil Digimon get trapped there and some lived there in the first place so just get trapped in their own home. As seen in chronicle x they can escape too so as you said though it works well enough as escaping is rare. Lucemon was trapped there but escapes in every media

Nagatem

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
“You better be a stand up mon” oh yeah what to Yggdrasil’s standards, he’s a jerk, I don’t think aside from cyber sleuth he’s not tried to literally Genocide an entire race of his own will, (Honestly even without mother eater infecting him I still think he would’ve done it)

Lucemon did nothing wrong!

Mattman324

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don’t think aside from cyber sleuth he’s not tried to literally Genocide an entire race of his own will,
Chronicle X.

Also, Cyber Sleuth was 100% not his fault, it was the Royal Knights misinterpreting his extremely vague orders, when Yggdrasil actually emerges at the end it instead performs a reset to remove the Eaters ever having shown up.

KageX

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I think the "Born from Grudges" aspect of the Malevolent Fist/Volutboutamon and possibly even Apocalymon and Duskmon could cover that.

It would be easy to imagine those who "die" in a Dark Area wandering around as Lost Souls like those trapped in the "windows" we see as failed attempts at making hosts for the Corrupted Spirits of Darkness in Frontier.

Taso

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd really like to see some kind of Dark Area political system some day. Because the current process seems pretty questionable- just letting demon lord's stay in their mega forms and roam the Dark Area. They could most likely overthrow Anubimon (if they wanted). The question that obviously comes to mind would be "why don't they turn them into Digi Eggs and Then put them in the Dark Area, so they can't just keep getting stronger and stronger".

One plausible explanation for this could be politics. "If you turn them into Digi Eggs then it'd basically be like punishing a child, that wouldn't be fair, so Digimon shouldn't be reverted if sent to the Dark Area". I could see this being a typical political standpoint that makes sense.

Maybe I've just played too much Disgaea but this would be interesting to me. I could see mons like Phelesmon attending dark-congress and purposefully voting for no-digieggs so that his master can get stronger and stronger.

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting how Cocytus connects every Digital World together.

Also, new confirmation that Gulfmon inhabits Cocytus. Its profile previously mentioned that it came from the depths of the Dark Area, but that was before they introduced the concept of Cocytus.
I did notice before how Gulfmon and GranDracmon have a lot of similarities, both being Demon Beast-types with very similar body-shapes. Cocytus is now another similarity, and I do wonder how much of it is intentional and why.
What if GranDracumon was actually Gulfmon's X-Antibody form?
Though that would be awkward given that GranDracumon already has its own evolution line. Also, Mephismon (Gulfmon's Perfect) has an X-Antibody form of its own. Plus the Reference Book not even acknowledging GranDracumon's status as an X-Antibody Digimon as of right now.

Bancho

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This might be my favorite Digimon profile just because the multiple Dark Areas yet shared Cocytus details really getting my creativity flowing.

For example, I'm thinking of Wizardmon who went from one (digital?) world to another and how a story writer can now have the option to say that he did so by going through Cocytus which could explain its corpse-like skin and mouth and its evolutionary relationship to Baalmon and Beelzemon and I think that could be a really fun story detail.

Another thing I thought of is how I would find it cool if the next Story game or any other future video game has The Olympos XII or Royal Knights visit the others' Digital World by going through Cocytus because I would absolutely love to to have a game where you can tunnel between the two worlds by taking the lowest plane of digiworld hell. That just sounds so fun!

What if GranDracumon was actually Gulfmon's X-Antibody form?
Though that would be awkward given that GranDracumon already has its own evolution line. Also, Mephismon (Gulfmon's Perfect) has an X-Antibody form of its own. Plus the Reference Book not even acknowledging GranDracumon's status as an X-Antibody Digimon as of right now.
I was going to say that it may have been in consideration to be Gulfmon's X form in designing but the idea could have been scrapped at some point

Noni

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What is the "Dark Area"?
The data of Digimon that died in battle has to go somewhere, right? Anubismon safeguards and oversees this process. Data judged “good” is reincarnated into a Digi-Egg, while data judged to be “bad” is sent to wander in the Dark Area.

By nature, Digimon who reach the end of their lifespan leave behind the data composing themselves in Digi-Egg form and are reborn, so the Dark Area doesn’t have much to do with them...

So, from this report statements what I understood is that Anubismon deals with digimon who died in battle. Digimon who naturally reach the end of their lifespan are not subjected to the judgment of Anubismon and move directly into reincarnating as digieggs.

That's interesting information, since I believe this distinction was not made clear before.

Each Dark Area is connected to a deepest layer known as Cocytus. There is only one Cocytus, an area shared by each and every Digital World.

This one will create a lot of headache in the fandom discussions if they don't elaborate and clarify further. This was mentioned before during the Witchelny report discussion, but there are digital worlds that reside in the same universe, aka the earth which hosts their different serves, and are called different dimensions/worlds due to not residing in the same server. While we also know the franchise canonically acknowledges the existence of other dimensions and universes unrelated to that earth with their own dimensions and digital worlds in them.

ThEOnE94

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I did always wonder if Illad had its own Dark Area. Never thought they all would. I find it interesting they all connect via the Cocytus, I guess anyone aware of that could use it to travel between Digital Worlds. Cause some trouble in Illiad and then run to another Digital World via the Dark Area/Cocytus and then the Olympos are like why can't we find that guy who caused trouble, cuz now you're hiding in Yggys World. That has the potential of interesting ideas.
They would first need to resist and even survive entering the Dark Area in the first place.The Dark Area is on another layer(dimension) than the Digital World to begin with. Plus it is a World of Darkness with Darkness in the verse signifying Death”, “Nothingness”, “Non-Evolution” and any of the “Negative Feelings”, including the “Seven Deadly Sins” that makes someone closer to “Evil” (Another thing that is also included in Darkness), Darkness also being the void of nothingness that predates existence and is everything that will be once all of creation has been destroyed. Not to mention that it is a void of literal nothingness without conventional time and space and anyone sent alive there gets erased out of existence mind,body and soul and figure as non-existent and non-corporeal beings. You'd have to be pretty out of your mind to enter the Dark Area willingly that's if you even can

The "three worlds" are not merely three universes. They are multiverses. Yggdrasil's DW,Homero's DW and the 3rd one are a collection of worlds. The DW is confirmed after CS to have an infinite number of universes,an infinite number of timelines,an infinite number of parallel worlds,infinitely branching space-time,to be broken in layers(dimensions) wich would be an infinite number as well and hosted on multiple servers. Both layers and servers containing individual universes as well as encompassing an infinite number of them, higher ones containing multiverses and stuff like that. And there's an infinite amount of each (though we admittedly only know the individual names of 4 or 5 different servers).

I think the "Born from Grudges" aspect of the Malevolent Fist/Volutboutamon and possibly even Apocalymon and Duskmon could cover that.

It would be easy to imagine those who "die" in a Dark Area wandering around as Lost Souls like those trapped in the "windows" we see as failed attempts at making hosts for the Corrupted Spirits of Darkness in Frontier.
Apocalymon wasn't born in the Dark Area but always existed since before the creation of the Digital World as we know it.Apocalymon is actually an abstract being. A concept, an idea without a material body. The very idea that denies evolution and anything of the sort. He was one of the Ideas involved in a long fight to decide wich kind of world the DW will be and when he lost he was banished behind the wall of fire. This Idea used the data of the defeated Dark Masters and the negative feelings of the Digimon that perished in the evolution process to build a material body for itself.
Source: Digimon Adventure Novelization.

I'd really like to see some kind of Dark Area political system some day. Because the current process seems pretty questionable- just letting demon lord's stay in their mega forms and roam the Dark Area. They could most likely overthrow Anubimon (if they wanted). The question that obviously comes to mind would be "why don't they turn them into Digi Eggs and Then put them in the Dark Area, so they can't just keep getting stronger and stronger".

One plausible explanation for this could be politics. "If you turn them into Digi Eggs then it'd basically be like punishing a child, that wouldn't be fair, so Digimon shouldn't be reverted if sent to the Dark Area". I could see this being a typical political standpoint that makes sense.

Maybe I've just played too much Disgaea but this would be interesting to me. I could see mons like Phelesmon attending dark-congress and purposefully voting for no-digieggs so that his master can get stronger and stronger.
Anubimon has no power over the Demon Lords. They can even nullify his digimon resseting to Digitama process. The Digimon that get defeated by them don't reincarnate but get sent to the Dark Area and become their flesh and blood and even Anubimon can't do anything about it. And if even Yggdrasil(Capital G GOD) and literal creator that has everything in the DW in the palm of his hands only could delete them to the Dark Area and split their essence across the multiverse(infinite) to weaken them, and they are still treaths that can turn the world to rubble even after that i don't see anyone turning them into Digitama permanently.

Last edited:

ThEOnE94

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Another thing I thought of is how I would find it cool if the next Story game or any other future video game has The Olympos XII or Royal Knights visit the others' Digital World by going through Cocytus because I would absolutely love to to have a game where you can tunnel between the two worlds by taking the lowest plane of digiworld hell.
They don't need to. The RKs can slash through space-time and create wormholes or transcend space and time to travel between servers. And the Olympos XII should be able to do it too as the RKs of Illiad.

Bancho

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They don't need to. The RKs can slash through space-time and create wormholes or transcend space and time to travel between servers.
when did we ever see them do this?