Digimon Profile #16- Digimoji/Digicode and How to Read it

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
digimoji_0_september7_2021.png

A new Digimon Profile has gone up on Digimon Web, with new artwork! This one is under the subheader of DigiBasic Knowledge!

Digimon Profile #16 gives information on Digimoji and How to Read it.

The characters used in the digital world are called 'digimoji' (digicode in English). They are on the bodies and weapons of Digimon, as well as documents from all over the digital world.

This Digimon Profile investigates this digital text.

They explain how each symbol corresponds to a Japanese character, but it isn't written the same as Japanese due to certain things not being represented. Numbers are used with the same arabic numerals as the human world.

There is also a version of digimoji based on the 26 character alphabet.

Japanese Digimoji
digimoji_1japanese_september7_2021.png

English Digicode
digimoji_2english_september7_2021.png

They then go over a few Digimon that have digimoji on their bodies or weapons:
Garudamon- Digimon is written on its legs.
Dukemon- Digital Monster is written around the edge of the shield.
Imperialdramon: Paladin Mode- Initialize is written on the sword.
Jesmon- Forced Termination is written on its tail.

They also put up 3 phrases in digimoji and challenge you to translate them.

Answers are in spoiler text beneath

Challenge 1
digimoji_3question1_september7_2021.jpg

Agumon Hakase

Challenge 2
digimoji_4question2_september7_2021.jpg

Digi Profile

Challenge 3
digimoji_5question3_september7_2021.jpg

Chaos Degrade

Agumon Hakase finishes by mentioning that once you know to look for it, you'll find digimoji everywhere. Work with friends to decipher it!

Prior Digimon Profiles:
Introduction & First 5 Profiles
#6- Report on the Four Holy Beasts & their Subordinates
#7- Vehicle Digimon
#8- Knight Digimon
#9- How to Read the Digimon Encyclopedia
#10- The "Four Great Dragons" Digimon
#11- Levels
#12- Armor Level & Digimentals
#13- The Digital World's Super Alloy, Chrome Digizoid
#14- Hybrid Forms & Spirits
#15- The Three Great Angels and the Kernel

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 19,752
Last edited:

JungleTrooper

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Quite interesting and funny, Profiles really touches a lot of different topics.

Tarama

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love Digimon Profile. It's basic yet important. There are additional infos emphasized in Profile. Here I am, waiting Profile to give us the information about The Gate of Deadly Sins.

JungleTrooper

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love Digimon Profile. It's basic yet important. There are additional infos emphasized in Profile. Here I am, waiting Profile to give us the information about The Gate of Deadly Sins.
They had 4 profile-updates in the beginning adding additional Digimon to the Reference Book, so I'd rather have those talking about organisations/families first XD

Olympus XII and all that.

But, yeah, they're fun, and sometimes low-key annoying.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There isn't much to say about the actual information in the entry since like most of the "basic" entries it really isn't anything "new" but I would like to point out that there has been an immense jump in the quality of the English translation (or possibly since the last entry even).
We are very clearly looking at a manual translation here, in fact parts of the English translation are rather obviously extended in the first section of the report. You don't need to tell anyone in Japan how diphtongs and plosives are usually represented and, sure enough, the footnotes are comparably minimal in the original.

And it's not only this entry either, all previous entries were also updated with decent manual translations and I thought I was going nuts for a minute because I clearly remembered them having the usual awkward and ultra literal calling cards of machine translations last time I read them, like the digital world being called a "world of weak meat and strong food" at some point.

That's quite a load of manual work that was put into this overhaul but it doesn't seem anyone really noticed or pointed it out which is a shame considering it's pretty much the best entry point for fans into the general lore of the franchise now that it's no longer garbled.

There are many interesting terms and wordings here that under the presumption of a machine translation could be shrugged off as... well just the whim of the algorithm, but now that there's evidence of actual intent we might want to take them a bit more seriously. This includes among other things "Mamemon Alliance" as the name of BanchoMamemon's organization, "Field Guide" as the English term of the reference book, "data fragmentation attacks" as the term for techniques targeting data itself, and "Tiny Dragon" potentially being a proper type for Amon and Umon based on the way it was capitalized.
I think even with that it's still always reasonable to compare with the original and not simply rely on accuracy of official translation where Digimon generally has a spotty history anyway... but it's certainly a step forward.

I still have to check if anything besides Digimon Profile pages were updated with such "premium" translations (Who knows maybe one day the entire DRB may get that treatment but I'm not holding my breath) but clearly not all pages seem to be worthy of such added effort; The news announcing the latest polling results are still translated in the expected "quality" of machine translations including some fun face plants like "select the cool summer you want to use as Digimon" and "Enjoy a fountain bath on the squirting of Whamon".

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is fun. Nice to see they have a clear list for these.

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There isn't much to say about the actual information in the entry since like most of the "basic" entries it really isn't anything "new" but I would like to point out that there has been an immense jump in the quality of the English translation (or possibly since the last entry even).
We are very clearly looking at a manual translation here, in fact parts of the English translation are rather obviously extended in the first section of the report. You don't need to tell anyone in Japan how diphtongs and plosives are usually represented and, sure enough, the footnotes are comparably minimal in the original.

And it's not only this entry either, all previous entries were also updated with decent manual translations and I thought I was going nuts for a minute because I clearly remembered them having the usual awkward and ultra literal calling cards of machine translations last time I read them, like the digital world being called a "world of weak meat and strong food" at some point.

That's quite a load of manual work that was put into this overhaul but it doesn't seem anyone really noticed or pointed it out which is a shame considering it's pretty much the best entry point for fans into the general lore of the franchise now that it's no longer garbled.

There are many interesting terms and wordings here that under the presumption of a machine translation could be shrugged off as... well just the whim of the algorithm, but now that there's evidence of actual intent we might want to take them a bit more seriously. This includes among other things "Mamemon Alliance" as the name of BanchoMamemon's organization, "Field Guide" as the English term of the reference book, "data fragmentation attacks" as the term for techniques targeting data itself, and "Tiny Dragon" potentially being a proper type for Amon and Umon based on the way it was capitalized.
I think even with that it's still always reasonable to compare with the original and not simply rely on accuracy of official translation where Digimon generally has a spotty history anyway... but it's certainly a step forward.

I still have to check if anything besides Digimon Profile pages were updated with such "premium" translations (Who knows maybe one day the entire DRB may get that treatment but I'm not holding my breath) but clearly not all pages seem to be worthy of such added effort; The news announcing the latest polling results are still translated in the expected "quality" of machine translations including some fun face plants like "select the cool summer you want to use as Digimon" and "Enjoy a fountain bath on the squirting of Whamon".

Oh yeah they defo have gone out of their way to change all this stuff. The Bancho one is way more expanded in English to explain what a Bancho actually is in Japanese media, the Celestial Angel one now says "Ophanimon Chaos Mode", and now the types are going with the 2020 card game by using "Beast Humanoid" and "Dragon Humanoid". That's neat of them

they also fixed Grumblemon being called Magnamon, KaiserLeomon being called Justimon, and Koriakkumon being called WarGrowlmon! if only Cyber Sleuth and Next Order fixed those too with a patch...

I don't remember anyone mentioning this before, maybe cuz of how shit the machine translation was, but now the Agumon one makes it clear that SnowAgumon digivolved from regular Agumon and Agumon Expert evovles from super smart Koromons.

Last edited: