Digimon Profile #12- Armor Level & Digimentals, plus Reference Book Update

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's Cool. Armors are always fun to see but some were weird choices. Shame we never got anything about those others from the Wonderswan. ...Wait. Did those count?

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"Sacred", or rather "Holy", is a very common "attribute" in JRPGs. I don't see the issue with that. "Light" is also a commonly-used "attribute", though it's usually synonymous with "Holy"; so most JRPGs just use one or the other, not both.

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We don't know if Sistermon Ciel was planned for later,

It was. IIRC it was stated that the reason Ciel was in Cyber Sleuth HM is that they were already planning on making it a thing and just hadn't finished the design of it yet, but it was added to the Reference Book with its finalized design a year or so later and got into Digital Monster X not long after that.

Tyranno

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Imagine thinking Chamelemon isn't cute

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"Sacred", or rather "Holy", is a very common "attribute" in JRPGs. I don't see the issue with that. "Light" is also a commonly-used "attribute", though it's usually synonymous with "Holy"; so most JRPGs just use one or the other, not both.

I think the issue is just because they try to differentiate between "Holy" and "Light" as elements, which is pretty odd.

I guess this is because they don't want the Digimental of Hope and Light to have the same element.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We don't know if Sistermon Ciel was planned for later,

It was. IIRC it was stated that the reason Ciel was in Cyber Sleuth HM is that they were already planning on making it a thing and just hadn't finished the design of it yet, but it was added to the Reference Book with its finalized design a year or so later and got into Digital Monster X not long after that.

Don't think that was stated. Just that Noir was "no good" for the US market so they swapped her out for Ciel and that Ciel is her own species.

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I think the issue is just because they try to differentiate between "Holy" and "Light" as elements, which is pretty odd.

I guess this is because they don't want the Digimental of Hope and Light to have the same element.

Sacred element = Ancient Light/Holy element? The way I view this.

Light element is simply... Pretty much "Holy".

I wonder why that Darkness isn't counted. That gross hand claw with the dark ball.

Yamato-san

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I wonder why that Darkness isn't counted. That gross hand claw with the dark ball.
Probably because the Digimental of Darkness was never treated like a "proper" Digimental in any form of media. It was only featured in the card game (and I guess the Wonderswan RPGs), where it wasn't needed to evolve into any specific Armor form, but rather had some kind of generic "evolve into any Digimon" effect (as well as a field bonus for Dark Area Digimon).

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

There is an inherent distinction between "Holy" and "Light."

"Light" is just light, obviously. It's electromagnetic radiation, which is not innately related to "holiness."
"Holy" is specifically related to the divinity of gods, angels, spirits, and other similar deities.

It's just that the two are typically compounded together because light is typically associated as a medium for deities to convey their sacred divinity, but there is a distinction between "holy light" and "non-holy light."

The Profile Report also describes a subtle distinction between the traits of the two Digimentals. The Digimental of Light specifies being effective against "darkness" (闇), as in the lack of visual light. The Digimental of Hope, instead, specifies being effective against "evil/wickedness" (邪悪), as in immorality or sinfulness, not darkness. While subtle, this is seemingly an intentional distinction.

Of course, both Digimentals display traits of both "light" and "holiness", but for the sake of "attributes", they seem to focus on one over the other.

Yamato-san

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I do find it interesting to note that, back when Hyper Colosseum was giving Armor Digimon proper attributes, almost all the Hope evolutions were Vaccine (with the exception of the Data-type Moosemon, which is still described as a sort of god of the land). Meanwhile, Light evolutions were a bit more all over the place. Most of them were Vaccines (including the two aquatic species), but then you also have Harpymon (Data), which unlike Moosemon, does not seem to convey any sense of divinity or benevolence from its profile. And Gargomon (Virus) is pretty much proto Manticoremon.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The difference in attributes between Hope and Light still confuses me. Like, what's the difference between holiness and light as mentioned in the report? The former gives it power against evil, while the latter against darkness. I get that darkness isn't necessarily always evil, though there's really no such distinction in the only universe to ever feature Armor Evolution itself - which was Adventure, a continuity that went fairly heavy on black-and-white morality.

I mean, I guess it might make more sense if darkness was an actual attribute that showed up in Digimon attacks/abilities etc.? Hopefully going forward they actually make a distinction between this, because we've definitely seen it before in Frontier for instance.

Kindess is its own weird thing altogether, lol.

Also not sure what it means when it says that Digimentals aren't absolutely necessary for Armor Evolution. But then how else would you go about it...?

Last edited:

Notus

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also not sure what it means when it says that Digimentals aren't absolutely necessary for Armor Evolution. But then how else would you go about it...?
At the end of the day, all evolution in Digimon can be simplified as the acquisition or modification of data. So evolution modifying data the same way a Digimental would can result in an Armor level. Even then, it's shown as improbable/hard to replicate, either being a rare occasion in the wild or the result of weird circumstances.

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Every single Digimon which is an "armor evolution" has, at one point in the franchise, been a normal evolution of something.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Every single Digimon which is an "armor evolution" has, at one point in the franchise, been a normal evolution of something.

Tbf though, Centarumon's for example says "not armor evolution" for his.

Only example I can think of is that in Rearise, the Veemon character Armor evolved to Flamedramon and Magnamon, followed by Hawkmon and Armadillomon Armor digivolving to Submarimon and Shurimon and in none of these instances were digieggs used, even though they yelled "Armor digivolve!". It was super confusing to me how that worked without the eggs, but I guess this explains it now...

Mynor

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I actually like Guardromon Gold, though I do wish it either had a unique name (Goldromon) or that it’s lore as that it’s the original Vaccine version of Guardromon before it was hacked.
oh, I do like that lore way more. It reminds me how I've always wanted to see an uncorrupted Datamon.

Why was Guardromon Gold hated so much?

citramon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Bomber Nanimon? Now I'll wait for Citramon. Sistermon Ciel was added, after all.
Different context. We don't know if Sistermon Ciel was planned for later, and Citramon has been out of sight for a very, very long time and personally produced by one of the American studio guys. Hoping for Citramon is pretty much a lost cause.
We Citrabros will never give up yo

Yamato-san

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While I can understand a bit of demand for Citramon, expecting it to become officially recognized almost seems like expecting the same for Angelamon.

Tetsuya Suoh

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder which are the 3 fate digimental armor digimon.
Rapidmon (gold), Gold V-Dramon and ????
Ironically, if you go on wikimon, there are 5 possible evolutions for the Digimenal of Fate, though Kongoumon, Rhinomon, and Maildramon can all be achieved through the Digimental of Miracles as well, whereas Gold V-dramon and Rapidmon Armor can't.
The difference in attributes between Hope and Light still confuses me. Like, what's the difference between holiness and light as mentioned in the report? The former gives it power against evil, while the latter against darkness. I get that darkness isn't necessarily always evil, though there's really no such distinction in the only universe to ever feature Armor Evolution itself - which was Adventure, a continuity that went fairly heavy on black-and-white morality.

I mean, I guess it might make more sense if darkness was an actual attribute that showed up in Digimon attacks/abilities etc.? Hopefully going forward they actually make a distinction between this, because we've definitely seen it before in Frontier for instance.

Kindess is its own weird thing altogether, lol.

For an 02 specific case, maybe it would be that Hope works well against Digimon under control of a dark ring/spiral, while Light works well against Digimon like the Demon Corps, who actively use Darkness
Like, if a Digimon doesn't actively use darkness as an attack, but has an evil personality, or has been made evil (SkullGreymon/MetalGreymon (Virus)) Hope is more effective than Light.

Last edited:

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I actually like Guardromon Gold, though I do wish it either had a unique name (Goldromon) or that it’s lore as that it’s the original Vaccine version of Guardromon before it was hacked.
oh, I do like that lore way more. It reminds me how I've always wanted to see an uncorrupted Datamon.

Why was Guardromon Gold hated so much?

For being a newly created recolour to pad out the roster when they could've used a regular Digimon. All the DWNO lore said too is that only some guardromon are gold and the gold ones are slightly stronger than the regular. Had no unique evolutions either. Had/has no reason to exist.

I think Habu did a good job making it more unique and people actually like it now.

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since the Crest of Fate doesn't exist, what element for that Digimental of Fate? Obviously it's sorta like Holy but it's super vagueness... Miracle, Hope and Light have similar element.

It felt like it's more of it only designed for Terriermon/Rapidmon while other digimon's evo requirements who got selected under Digimental of Fate are simply "Extra" to add to increase the options.