Digimon on Blu-ray in Japan

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
From the livestream event happening in Japan.

They will be doing a Blu-ray box of all the films (including native 3d versions of the themepark shorts) in January.

In March will they will be doing a Blu-ray box of Digimon Adventure.

When I'm more awake I'll add more details (hopefully those others who saw the stream will also.)

G-SANtos

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon THE MOVIES Blu-ray 1999-2006 will be released January 9. Digimon Adventure 15th Anniversary Blu-ray Box will be released March 3 and will contain a new Drama CD. Damnit, I should've screenshotted the announcement. There was a Japanese text could've been the title, and I would be able to translate it. Did anyone get a screenshot of it?

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Doubt there's a chance of seeing them released outside of Japan, huh?

Zeether

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If Cinedigm can work it out we could see it happen. Probably not in Japanese, but the extra storage space on Blu-ray is a major plus.

Anubimon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll just quote what friend and once-upon-a-time WtWer Lee said: "Blu-ray quality? Bitch, we're talking about a fandom that was happy with shit quality REAL MEDIA files."

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is interesting. Don't have a Blu-Ray player but still interesting.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If Cinedigm can work it out we could see it happen. Probably not in Japanese, but the extra storage space on Blu-ray is a major plus.
I really don't see how the English dub could be put on Blu-Ray (and be of noticeably better video/audio quality) since it'd be the original uncut masters that would be getting the Blu-Ray treatment, while the dub was dubbed in edited form first. In order for them to put the dub on Blu-Ray with all the quality perks that come with the Blu-Ray treatment, all of the edits made by Saban would have to be repeated/replicated.

Vice

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope these episodes have the original 4:3 format (kind of like the Yu-Yu Hakusho blu-rays) and their not stretched out to be 16:9 with several inches of footage cropped out (like the Dragon Ball Z blu-rays).

I don't think we'd see this set out of Japan, since a lot of footage is cut up in the dub version and this is original uncut Japanese footage. The current dubbed versions on dvd don't look to bad, it's not blu-ray quality but they look nice on HDTV.

Rurik

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Maybe they'll have english subtitles. The "Space Pirate: Captain Harlock" bluray did. I'm fairly certain that North America and Japan have the same bluray region so if they're widely available online we can watch them over here. :D

ShindoW

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If this has subs, its a must buy for me,... but if not, I can't justify the $600 price tag.

jpwong

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll just quote what friend and once-upon-a-time WtWer Lee said: "Blu-ray quality? Bitch, we're talking about a fandom that was happy with shit quality REAL MEDIA files."

It's probably upscaled anyway. It's not like the fandom got much choice in the matter about file type and quality. Only a handful of people knew how to use Japanese P2P networks to get the DivX encoded AVI files and torrenting didn't exist so direct download had to fit into the bandwith and size limits of the hosting source. The fact that we were even able to have the episode available a day or two after they aired in Japan could be considered a miracle in that era (I know no one even blinks at having HD raws the same day as shows air in Japan these days)

jpwong

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
$600 price tag.

Where did you see a $600 price? Was is said during the stream? Not trying to be rude or anything, just curious.

http://happinet-p.com/digimon/
54,800 JPY
4:3 1080i

AmiAmi is now taking pre-orders for the boxset for 50,300 JPY (note that they require payment up front for this item)
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=MED-DVD2-25501

That being said, the price seems inline with other full series blu-ray releases of shows you can get in Japan.

Last edited:

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's kinda weird that all the sites I have searched only seem to have the Adventure box, and not a single mention of the movie box, even though the movie blu rays will be released much earlier.
I also wonder about the possible price difference between the two sets, after all the movie box has less discs (5 as opposed to 8) so that should at least make some difference but I'm not sure how much to hope for, maybe it'll be about $400 instead of the $600 for adventure. In any way,not being the biggest fan of adventure, getting the movie box is my primary aim now, so I hope we get more info on that soon.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I sincerely doubt any Japanese Digimon Blu-Rays will have subtitles for a market they're not being produced for.

ShindoW

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Dang. I was hoping AmiAmi would get it, but when they did, full payment... I was hoping to use my tax return, if it had subs... Oh well... I'll miss buying this series in Japanese for a second time... I really wanted the BLURAY too...

hcno

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm really shocked by the price of the blu-ray set. Damn that's almost the full price of an Iphone where I live, and a blu-ray box with more discs than that would hardly be more than $150.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm really shocked by the price of the blu-ray set. Damn that's almost the full price of an Iphone where I live, and a blu-ray box with more discs than that would hardly be more than $150.
Blu-Ray sets in Japan cost way more than they do in America. Same with Japanese DVDs. That's just the standard for them over there.

ShindoW

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's normal price for Japan, though. :/ Back in the day, the Adventure DVD set I THINK retailed around $300... I think our box sets were close to 1/3rd that price for full seasons... Also, the original 2 Adventure box sets are well over $900 on Yahoo Japan right now, so that price is a steal, actually. ^^l

jpwong

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I sincerely doubt any Japanese Digimon Blu-Rays will have subtitles for a market they're not being produced for.

To be fair, a large swath of BDs for more recent anime have been popping up with english subs as a feature, thought I agree for a show like Digimon, it's extremely unlikely they'd have any.