Digimon Memorial Story Short- To Sora, Watch & Discussion Thread

Wendigomon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Loved it! It felt so real to me, in it’s context of the the older series. Also, unlike tri, there was no sexualisation of characters for fan service. There seemed therefore more space for reflection and heart, which for me are two strong qualities of digimon. It would have been absolutely brilliant if this had been a full season, but I am happy I got to see this. Really hope the others become available at some stage- if not online, then with the film on dvd would be ideal.

totentanz

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
These quiet personal moments between digimon and chosen make for the best episodes. I'd honestly love if Last Evolution was mostly focused on that with the fighting being very sparse but very important when it finally hapens.

GrungeCat

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was cute, though seemed a little akward in that it just rehashed the same "I'm not going to follow in my mother's footsteps" plotline they've literally always had with Sora. So it was nothing new really. In fact, there was more new information about Mimi than anyone really...and I wonder if maybe Sora will partner up with Mimi and create clothing for her to sell on her website?

All in all it was cute and a nice way to lead into Kizuna. And Piyomon was as adorable as ever.

Guilmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"I have the power to fight, save people and make a difference, but I'll let my friends handle all the hard stuff"

Gotta admit, it was hard for me to like Sora in this short :p

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The exposition part about what everyone else is doing is probably nabbed directly form the first few minutes of Kizuna itself.

The short is a nice teaser for the movie itself but doesn't really add anything on its own (especially as Sora's arc is the same as it always was).
And I know the memorial shorts are not exactly the most ambitious of stories but I was kind of hoping for at least a little bit of a twist, especially after reading that it's one day before the main story.
So when Sora's Phone rang about the digital gate I was kind of expecting the payoff to be something along the lines of that opening location shot having been a fake-out and Sora having been in the Digital World all along, secluding herself from distractions to work on her arrangements away from everyone else or something.
But there didn't end up much payoff besides the obvious reaffirmation of "omg partners" and a very rebellious freestyle flower arrangement.
The reuse of the original Arisawa soundtrack works well for the sake of nostalgia, but to me it was honestly a bit disappointing, since I was kind of expecting a sneak peak of Kizuna's soundtrack at some point.

One thing that stood out to me was the kid's crest icons during the group chat scene because they looked so garish (intentionally hopefully). I had almost forgotten that there was a time when super glossy and rounded design elements were all the rage; And them including that kind of touch gives me hope that they actually did put research into the setting of 2010, like consulting with historians and archeologists or perhaps sourcing information directly from surviving documents of that era to get an accurate picture of what customs were common among humans back then.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since they mention drinking age, maybe we shall see drunk Takeru and Hikari...

McGann

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That was a nice little prologue.
Really digging the art style.

I hate to break it to people, but the plan was that Toei was only going to have a general release of this short. Be nice if that changed, but we haven't heard anything saying it will.
I hope they do.
Even if it takes a while, or they can only be on the DVD.
Or are crowd funded things like this typically kept exclusive for the crowd that funded them?

Finally, they can partake of the soda.

Last edited:

Piers

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly thought this would just be a Pop-Theatre exclusive until DVD releases. Neat!
Nice to have shorts like these just focus on day-to-day moments in film and anime.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like how the flowers of Sora-sama's flower arrangement are the colours of her, Yamato, Taichi, Koushirou, Hikari and Takeru's Crests.
Not only that. The green leaves are for Mimi's crest. And I guess the blossom branches represent Joe's crest.

I guess it's a joke, but Takeru and Hikari still have more than a year to be the legal age to drink.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Poor Takeru and co., in their age I already didn't have enough fingers to count how many times I was drunk.

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm getting so excited for this... 😁
Can't wait!

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
just wondering if Toei will release the rest of the shorts like this one? Has it been confirmed yet?

LotusRose

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was really nice. Think I need an emotional support Piyomon.

odaibaboy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The exposition part about what everyone else is doing is probably nabbed directly form the first few minutes of Kizuna itself.

The short is a nice teaser for the movie itself but doesn't really add anything on its own (especially as Sora's arc is the same as it always was).
And I know the memorial shorts are not exactly the most ambitious of stories but I was kind of hoping for at least a little bit of a twist, especially after reading that it's one day before the main story.
So when Sora's Phone rang about the digital gate I was kind of expecting the payoff to be something along the lines of that opening location shot having been a fake-out and Sora having been in the Digital World all along, secluding herself from distractions to work on her arrangements away from everyone else or something.
But there didn't end up much payoff besides the obvious reaffirmation of "omg partners" and a very rebellious freestyle flower arrangement.
The reuse of the original Arisawa soundtrack works well for the sake of nostalgia, but to me it was honestly a bit disappointing, since I was kind of expecting a sneak peak of Kizuna's soundtrack at some point.

One thing that stood out to me was the kid's crest icons during the group chat scene because they looked so garish (intentionally hopefully). I had almost forgotten that there was a time when super glossy and rounded design elements were all the rage; And them including that kind of touch gives me hope that they actually did put research into the setting of 2010, like consulting with historians and archeologists or perhaps sourcing information directly from surviving documents of that era to get an accurate picture of what customs were common among humans back then.
I didn't expect do die of laughter by the end of reading this post when i started reading it. :D

I agree ! I thought the short was well done technically and it was a nice teaser but it's really a pity there was no pay off or development to Sora's character.
Sora had an amazing arc in Adventure and she was always one of my favourite characters but I'm sad to see her sidelined nowadays (although they started doing that in 02) to the "I'm a girly girl now and that's it" storyline. It just doesn't fit. Sora's passionate, a fighter and she would never turn her back on her friends fighting a few streets down.

I can appreciate the struggle itself, it makes sense for her character. But the resolution doesn't resonate with me. I get it's a plot device to explain her absence / lack of action in the movie and to be fair, that's more of an explanation than the other times they excluded her (being pissed at tai for not responding or whatever it was that she was doing in the fourth film) but this is probably the last time i will ever see the Sora from this Adventure Continuity and i would have loved to get to know her a bit better and see her back in charge, not just how she feels in terms to other things like her mother, taichi/yamato or being a girl. I knew she wasn't going to play a key role in the film anyways but when they announced this short i had such high hopes because it seemed like they wanted to do her character justice. They didn't as far as i am concerned. The flowers and the moment with Pyiomon were nice but we've seen this type of bonding between them so many times before. I also feel like it did much more for the Mimi character.

Also they still just ignore Sora/Yamato ? It's just weird at this point for Mimi to be telling Sora about how Yamato is doing. They are very clearly together physically and emotionally at the end of 02 and in the fourth movie. They also have kids together. in the future. No mention or moment between them in Tri and Kizuna ? At least some awkwardness to imply they might have breaken up if they dont want them together ? But just ignoring it entirely?

Still, you can tell they put some love in it, it was great seeing the characters again and i'm already getting emotional finally saying goodybe to them. :( I really hope this won't be the last of this continuity.

Last edited:

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That was an interesting look into her character. I wonder how this ends up in the movie. ...Or if they're going to do anything with it in the remake.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That old score really brought back memories.