Digimon Memorial Story Short- To Sora, Watch & Discussion Thread

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Woo!

Toei has put up the first Digimon Adventure Memorial Short with English subtitles at the same time it went up for Japanese viewers!

"To Sora" takes place a day before, and acts as a short prequel to, Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna!

The description given for the short is:
Over ten years have passed since that initial adventure. Sora worries over what she should do with her future. What choice has she ultimately arrived at?
With under a month to go until the film is out in Japan, and 2 months to the US, it's a good time to put up the first one!

It was previously available to view at the LB Pop-Up Theater.

The second short, 'Hole in the Heart', will be available at the Pop-Up Theater when it does does a Kizuna pop-up shop in February.

I'll comment more once people start discussing it, but some familiar music there...

Enjoy!

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh my god, I can't believe they've actually put it up officially subbed, this is amazing. I really hope they keep this up for the rest of the shorts.

xm0c

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was hoping to see these. Can't wait for the Jogress one.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That was nice, apart from the usual awful subtitles. That last line sounds almost like they're writing Sora out of the movie. lol

Paruseruru mafubu

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love this, Sora has always been my favorite of the chosen children.

MagicBox

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Massive props to them for using Takanori Arisawa's original music from Adventure. It feels right at home, and allows this short to feel more like a natural extension of the story than tri. ever did. I wonder if we can expect Harumi Fūki to rearrange some of these same themes for Last Evolution's score.

I don't have much to say about the short itself. It's well-written and presents a fitting dilemma for Sora (consistent with her arc from Adventure) without crossing the line into melodrama.

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This short was, heartwarming, to say the least. I thought that music was familiar. Previously I thought I had heard it in tri., but apparently it's Takanori Arisawa's original music from Adventure. I hope they eventually put up all the shorts, just to build hype for the movie or Digimon in general. Shared it with a friend who is not on WtW. It felt to me like a natural extension of both Zero Two and tri., and I'm sure he'll appreciate it, even though he isn't much of a slice-of-life guy. My childhood has finally come to a close (even though I've been 23 for a while now lol).

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, hearing the background music from Adventure again is lovely. I didn’t realize how much I missed it until now!

Sora and Piyomon are always such an adorable pair.

icomeanon6

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not the worst way to let us know where all the kids (adults!) are at for the new movie. Gotta say though, having Nakatsuru back on character design really makes it feel like authentic Digimon again. I don't think he gets enough credit for giving Digimon its own visual personality.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Huh they're using JP names unlike the Tri subs.

I didn't think they'd upload them like this, so this is nice.

It was kinda uneventful, but it was nice all the same. And I'm sure Sora will be able to "be away from the battles" lol. Nothing will change that...

so the calender appears to show this take place on Sunday August 29, 2010. well part of it anyway, the exhibit

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hate to break it to people, but the plan was that Toei was only going to have a general release of this short. Be nice if that changed, but we haven't heard anything saying it will.

You'll always have "Digidestined" and poor grammar.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hate to break it to people, but the plan was that Toei was only going to have a general release of this short. Be nice if that changed, but we haven't heard anything saying it will.

You'll always have "Digidestined" and poor grammar.
The grammar is generally fine to good enough, and the terms are expected.

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oof that was good. I like that they're building on Tri's themes of indecision and conflict. It was a little similar to Gabumon's speech to Matt, but if the whole movie is like this, I'm not ready man...

DigiCollect

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd assume its just based on which group did the translation. This is Toei's YT channel, but Tri was handled by Crunchyroll and then whoever had DVD distribution rights, so that would have influenced the translations accordingly. Whoever has Kizuna's rights will affect whether we keep these names or go back to the other style.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd assume its just based on which group did the translation. This is Toei's YT channel, but Tri was handled by Crunchyroll and then whoever had DVD distribution rights, so that would have influenced the translations accordingly. Whoever has Kizuna's rights will affect whether we keep these names or go back to the other style.
That isn't quite how it works (it can, but it would depend on things.)

Especially regarding digidestined, which Toei has quite solidly used as the English translation for Chosen Children in most cases for many years.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The grammar is generally fine to good enough, and the terms are expected.
Mostly I noticed it during Piyomon's speech. Her sentence structure is really awkward.

DigiCollect

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That isn't quite how it works (it can, but it would depend on things.)

Especially regarding digidestined, which Toei has quite solidly used as the English translation for Chosen Children in most cases for many years.
You know, you might be right. I may be misattributing the translation decisions used on the English dub here. I'd recalled that after the first Tri movie, the tone and translation liberties changed dramatically to more closely match the original dubbed series.

KoreeluStromboli

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mimi: "Yamato-san said he's finally deciding what he wants to do too."

Yamato in the epilogue of Digimon Adventure tri.: Our Future: "Am I a joke to you?"

Mimi-chan is a sweetheart.

I like how the flowers of Sora-sama's flower arrangement are the colours of her, Yamato, Taichi, Koushirou, Hikari and Takeru's Crests.

Lobomon96

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good, this Short is very heartwarming. Also i'm very happy because they decided to use the old Ost and as other said these theme gives the feeling of "home" maybe because they remind us of the past :D