Digimon Manga Archive

delta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Of course, we've also been referring to the Digimon involved by their Japanese names instead of the ones used in the comic.
I'm actually refering to what TMS said. I wonder how will you translate 'the names of Digimon used in the comic' into English. For example, Grademon is named as 黃金劍神獸 in the comic - how will it be in English?

Last edited:

Lord Puppetmon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It would be nice to translate the Chinese Digimon names for the Digimon Wiki, just for trivia purposes. Unless they're just transliterations.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The literal translation of Grademon's Chinese name is "Gold Sword Animal," with "Animal" probably corresponding to the "mon" suffix.

Inpu

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
黃金劍神獸

huáng​jīnjiànshén​shòu - Golden Sword God Beast

Shou being "beast", and the equivalent of 'mon.

I guess I just didn't understand why this would be specific to D-Cyber -- all Digimon have a Chinese name (though some may be unofficial transliterations by fans, as with "Hākèshòu", or Huckmon), as Digimon is localized in Asia just as it is in America.

As far as the Digimon Wiki, we already do that where we can identify primary sources for the names, to confirm they aren't fan-transliiterations.

delta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I guess I just didn't understand why this would be specific to D-Cyber -- all Digimon have a Chinese name (though some may be unofficial transliterations by fans, as with "Hākèshòu", or Huckmon), as Digimon is localized in Asia just as it is in America.
hmm...but to me TMS seems to imply that in D-Cyber scanlation we should use English names translated from their Chinese names as it's a Chinese comic.

And the situation for 'official' Chinese dub name is a bit complicated that the names may be different over different place, time, and even media, with different translation techniques applied.

Inpu

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
hmm...but to me TMS seems to imply that in D-Cyber scanlation we should use English names translated from their Chinese names as it's a Chinese comic.

And the situation for 'official' Chinese dub name is a bit complicated that the names may be different over different place, time, and even media, with different translation techniques applied.
I'm not seeing that implication, and I don't see why you would leave a name untranslated in this context, 'cause that's what you're asking for.

Using the Chinese names for the D-Cyber kids in an English translation makes sense because that's the characters' only identity -- there is nothing meaningful to translate them to, just as we don't translate a character named Paaru (Paul) as "Doom-feeling" or Anbaa (Amber) as "Gold-brown" -- basically, the reason it's Taichi in the dub, instead of "Single-field". However, for the Digimon, a meaningful translation most emphatically exists, and so it would be dereliction of the task to leave it untranslated.

Lord Puppetmon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I'm not seeing that implication, and I don't see why you would leave a name untranslated in this context, 'cause that's what you're asking for.

Using the Chinese names for the D-Cyber kids in an English translation makes sense because that's the characters' only identity -- there is nothing meaningful to translate them to, just as we don't translate a character named Paaru (Paul) as "Doom-feeling" or Anbaa (Amber) as "Gold-brown" -- basically, the reason it's Taichi in the dub, instead of "Single-field". However, for the Digimon, a meaningful translation most emphatically exists, and so it would be dereliction of the task to leave it untranslated.
Nitpicking here, but I thought Taichi's name means something like "great one". His name utilizes the 太 kanji for "big, great", not the 田 kanji for "field/rice paddy", which I've only seen used in family names before.

delta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

hmm...actually I have the same thought even before you typed this out, why it seems you are against me when saying that? Anyway...yet I still see that implication.

digitalx

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
i had a random thought today after someone reminded me of this, but does anyone know if Ryo/Cyberdramon was in the english Digimon tamers manga? I was told he wasnt and plan to read it soon to verify but I csant find a place to do so at the moment

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
i had a random thought today after someone reminded me of this, but does anyone know if Ryo/Cyberdramon was in the english Digimon tamers manga? I was told he wasnt and plan to read it soon to verify but I csant find a place to do so at the moment
The Tokyopop Manga? Yes he is in it - from Volume 3. You won't find scans online as they don't exist (English manga and all that). The books are now expensive. I got them when they first came out (thankfully)

Py687

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Anyway...yet I still see that implication.
TMS's post could have been taken as an implication, but I think it's really a bit more of an observation.

hmm...actually I have the same thought even before you typed this out, why it seems you are against me when saying that?
#JustInpuThings

Inpu

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Neither of you are making any sense, and as far as I can tell, delta seems to be asking why I responded to what he wrote rather than the contrary thought he had in his head.

As far as what TMS said, he literally just gave a translation of Grademon's Chinese name, as requested. That's it, no implications, nothing. Fro what he said on the previous page:

Of course, we've also been referring to the Digimon involved by their Japanese names instead of the ones used in the comic.
He's simply stating that we have been using the English/Japanese names for the Digimon, rather than the Chinese names, without making any value judgment about which way is "correct".

Py687

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"He's simply stating that we have been using the English/Japanese names for the Digimon..."

... Hence why I said I believed it was more of an observation?

As for why it can be taken as an implication, that's gonna fall on how delta interpreted the tone. After jumping a step or two, of course.

#JustInpuThings was only poking fun at you buddy.

delta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Neither of you are making any sense, and as far as I can tell, delta seems to be asking why I responded to what he wrote rather than the contrary thought he had in his head.
In fact, I was just unsatisfied with your tone of your reply.

He's simply stating that we have been using the English/Japanese names for the Digimon, rather than the Chinese names, without making any value judgment about which way is "correct".
It seems it'll be better if you make this comment earlier, then I can understand how you interpret what TMS said actually.