Digimon Manga Archive

Lord Puppetmon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think they are actual Japanese readings. I recognize both 龍 and 光 in Hikaru's name - the first character means "dragon" and can be read as "ryuu" or "tatsu", and the second character means "light" and can be read as "hikari" or "hikaru". So even without me consulting a dictionary, it already seems like Hikaru's name checks out as a proper Japanese reading, and I would assume Masuken and Teru's names do as well.

G-SANtos

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, their correct names would be: (Surname-name order)
-Ryuuji Hikaru: Lóng Zhìguāng (龍志光)
-Kana Masuken: Fāng Shēngjiàn (方昇健)
-Raku Teru: Luò Huī (駱輝)
-Kiyoshi: Āměi (阿美)

Though I'm curious with the letter "阿" being near the names of every character in the character sections. To me, its use seems to imply that Lóng Zhìguāng and Fāng Shēngjiàn would actually be Lóngzhì Guāng and Fāngshēng Jiàn, but from what I'm reading in Wikipedia, two-letter surnames are rare.
Delta, can you clear up this up for us?

sirtao

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
question: do we know if the characters are Chinese or Japanese in-story?

Also, comic characters having uncommon names\surnames? UNPOSSIBOL!

Vande

I am Justice
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

The books are Chinese, so in the raws they would be Chinese characters.

delta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I never said they were there, nor did i recall if she was in it that earlier. Photoed a page where I think her name is:

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb415/digistarlight/WtW/3-1_zps78acd2e6.jpg
Well, I just missed your word 'partially'...anyway...

Kiyoshi's shortened Chinese name is 阿美. It's a common pratice to put '阿' (Ah) in front of ppl's name shortened to only one charater in Cantonese, but Idk the exact reason for this pratice. Making the name easier to read and indicating that it's a name maybe.

So, their correct names would be: (Surname-name order)
-Ryuuji Hikaru: Lóng Zhìguāng (龍志光)
-Kana Masuken: Fāng Shēngjiàn (方昇健)
-Raku Teru: Luò Huī (駱輝)
-Kiyoshi: Āměi (阿美)

Though I'm curious with the letter "阿" being near the names of every character in the character sections. To me, its use seems to imply that Lóng Zhìguāng and Fāng Shēngjiàn would actually be Lóngzhì Guāng and Fāngshēng Jiàn, but from what I'm reading in Wikipedia, two-letter surnames are rare.
Delta, can you clear up this up for us?
龍 and 方 are common Chinese surname so probably they are the one-letter surnames. Actually someone can call them 志光 and 昇健 as well, but they choose the short form they like. And it's better to use names in scanlator's notes as they are the Cantonese pronunciation. The Cantonese-style colloquial Chinese (which I don't like much) indicates the characters are speaking Cantonese.

Now I'm curious. Were the Japanese names randomly assigned, or are they the actual Japanese readings of the Chinese characters?
While the male characters' names seems to be Japanese readings of the Chinese words, I don't think 美 can be read as Kiyoshi in Japanese by any means. At first I guess it would be 清 or 潔 from that Japanese reading.

Last edited:

G-SANtos

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kiyoshi's shortened Chinese name is 阿美. It's a common pratice to put '阿' (Ah) in front of ppl's name shortened to only one charater in Cantonese, but Idk the exact reason for this pratice. Making the name easier to read and indicating that it's a name maybe.
So her given name would be Měi (美), assuming the manhua depicts it completely. Hm... Maybe I should consult the other admins on how do deal with this. We already have the Rikkun and Micchan cases.

And it's better to use names in scanlator's notes as they are the Cantonese pronunciation. The Cantonese-style colloquial Chinese (which I don't like much) indicates the characters are speaking Cantonese.
I was using the Pinyin romanizations given by Google Translate, and the Pinyin used was the same even when I switched dialect. Though, apparently, there's a Cantonese Pinyin, so I don't know what to do now.
The scanlator notes anglicize the names, removing the diacritics, which in turn removes the tones. So, actually, the romanizations used are inaccurate for pronunciation, as they don't denote the exact entonation.

Now I'm curious. Were the Japanese names randomly assigned, or are they the actual Japanese readings of the Chinese characters?
While the male characters' names seems to be Japanese readings of the Chinese words, I don't think 美 can be read as Kiyoshi in Japanese by any means. At first I guess it would be 清 or 潔 from that Japanese reading.
I researched, and the Japanese reading of her name is Yoshi. I guess the scanlator though it sounded too masculine.

Inpu

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I use MDBG for romanizations of Chinese names.

G-SANtos

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Though MDBG seems to be focused on Mandarin Chinese, and uses Jyutping romanization for Cantonese, which would render Zhìguāng's surnames as Lung4.
Er... Maybe I'll use Pinyin and search for a Cantonese Pinyin dictionary later.

delta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was using the Pinyin romanizations given by Google Translate, and the Pinyin used was the same even when I switched dialect. Though, apparently, there's a Cantonese Pinyin, so I don't know what to do now.
The scanlator notes anglicize the names, removing the diacritics, which in turn removes the tones. So, actually, the romanizations used are inaccurate for pronunciation, as they don't denote the exact entonation.
Er...While the Cantonese Pinyin is there and it shows the pronunciation accurately, we seldom use it to represent the English spelling of Chinese names/place/whatever but use the anglicized pronunciation without any diacritic instead. Using Cantonese Pinyin directly as the English names of the characters will make them unfamiliar to an average Hong Kong ppl, which is...paradoxical. So in this case...we need both the 'common' English spelling and the true pronunciation?

sirtao

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

The books are Chinese, so in the raws they would be Chinese characters.
No, I did mean the HUMAN characters- do we know their nationalities?
It's perfectly possible the characters are Japanese, even if the comic is Chinese

delta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No, I can assume they are Chinese, if not Hong Kong people. Their names are legitmate Chinese names. I know some Japanese surnames are similar to Chinese surnames, but I don't think there will be such coincident that all 3 Japanese's names sound like Chinese names. You can argue that they may be Korean or Vietnamese though, as some of their names sound like Chinese names as well.

Last edited:

Lord Puppetmon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So we've been calling them the wrong names the whole time due to, what, a scanlator's whim? This is disappointing.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Of course, we've also been referring to the Digimon involved by their Japanese names instead of the ones used in the comic.

Lord Puppetmon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The difference is that the Digimon have established names in global canon. The humans are original characters exclusive to this manhua.

delta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder, how will you guys translate Chinese names of the Digimon, if you are going to do so?

Inpu

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Use digimons.net, mostly.

delta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm...I mean, how will you guys translate Chinese names of Digimon into English?

Or you just mean using the Eng names appeared in digimons.net?

Inpu

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not aware of any Digimon species introduced in Chinese material before Japanese. If we need to translate the name, digimons.net keeps a record of the Chinese names of extant Digimon species.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. Do you mean, like, nicknames, like Zeromaru or Bun?

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think what delta is trying to say is that, since D-Cyber's natively published language was Chinese, then it stands to reason that a new English translation of D-Cyber (should one ever come about, that is) ought to use the names of the digimon that they had in that original language, in which case would be their Chinese names. And so delta is asking how one would put the Chinese names of the digimon that appeared in the D-Cyber into a format that would be readable in English, but without changing the Chinese names into the other-language (i.e. - Japanese or English) counterpart names of these digimon, whether if they differ from said other-language counterpart names or not.