Digimon Live Action TV Series

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So I was going through a post the other day on the WtW forum about how one would theoretically go about making a live-action Digimon movie, and after reading like half of it, it became clear to me that a movie would be pointless. However, I'm writing a fanfiction series, starring me and my friend, and I thought, "Hey, this can make a great TV series." I have some ideas for how to do it. First off, here's the Digital lineup for my story:
Parth - Keramon
Chiaki - Cyberdramon
Rachit - Patamon
Jade - Pilomon
Rob - Psychemon
Amadeus - Omnimon
Nahuel - Gorimon
Armando - Stingmon
Osamu - Hawkmon
Abdul - Kudamon
Rachel - Renamon
Kate - Biyomon
Brody - Gizamon
Kenny - Gomamon
Keshav - Coronamon

So, for the first battle, I had an idea in which my Keramon (I'm the guy called Parth) evolves using a silver Digimental of Miracles into Argomon and fights a Snimon. The basic plot would be that human activities in the Real World are starting to affect the Digital World too. To give an example, global warning is finally starting to thin the boundary between the Real World and the Digital World. As a result, the Net World is affected too, so that more Digimon are starting to Bioemerge into the Real World, and computer viruses are infecting Digimon in the Digital World. One of these viruses has infected and corrupted Yggdrasil, as a result of which the inhibition on the Digivolution beyond Mega has been removed, and someone (Kurata) is moreover using the reduced security for the revival of the seven Demon Lords. Fourteen Neo-Tamers have primarily been chosen, to fight against this new (and preliminarily unknown) threat. First off, tokusatsu, nada, unless it is really needed, because then the show would look like the old Power Rangers series, and that would really suck. Since many Digimon look like animals (including insects), instead of relying heavily on generating totally new CGI, with a preposterous budget, one could modify generated 3D models of existing animals. As an example, Keramon could be designed by modifying a preying mantis, and Firamon and Saberleomon could be made by modifying lions. That could be done easily in Maya, Poser or iClone. So, what do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

D.I._Ruki

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This sounds good but I would like the leader of this group to be female, partly because of novelty and partly because in my opinion, outside of Ruki, female human characters haven't really been handled well in this franchise. Besides as a male writer you need all the experience you can get with writing a interesting and well-developed female character.

Also making yourself the main character doesn't really work. It's become a cliché, and is associated with bad writing even if that's not your intention. Creating an interesting original character particularly one who is not like you in several respects be at ethnicity culture religion, gender, gender identity or sexual orientation is difficult, But often necessary. Just be certain to avoid harmful stereotypes and clichés and to do your research thoroughly.

The Victory Tamer

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm sorry, were you under the impression the leader had to have a gender in the first place? This is Digimon. The mons are already agender. No reason the gogglehead can't be.

If you don't know how to write an agender character, browse the Undertale fanfiction archives for a while.

But if you want a female gogglehead, then for the love of Yggdrasil just write a male gogglehead and change the gender afterwards. It's not like having boobs changes your personality or anything. Writing a believable female character is EXACTLY THE SAME as writing a believable male character. I am SICK AND TIRED of people who write females different from males for no reason.

And yeah, being an author insert usually isn't good. I can think of one instance where it has worked anywhere (Captain Ed Mercer in The Orville). That being said, if your writing is good enough (like Seth MacFarlane's) then there's no reason you can't pull it off.

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey, I thought this thread was dead! Didn't realize people were actually responding to it lol. That being said, a lot of time has passed since I started this thread, and I've come to realize how clichéd writing myself as the main character and reprising Kurata as a villain are. That being said, I agree that it would be refreshing to have a female protagonist as the spearhead gogglehead for a live action series. Queer characters would also be a great idea, given how the franchise's target audience is changing. I don't really have anything to say about the whole gender-as-a-spectrum debate, except maybe the franchise isn't ready for such a big leap forward. What would really revitalize the franchise would be a Riverdale-style story, with CGI between the tokusatsu thing of Madan Senki Ryukendo, and the Pokémon Go advert style from the live action Yo-kai Watch movie. Hell, I'll eat a (chip) hat if Toei doesn't seriously consider a live action Digimon venture after Great Detective Pikachu comes out in North America.

Last edited: