Digimon in the future

Samujagi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey guys, I'm just wondering if the new film last evolution is going to be the last be we see of the original eight digidestined, are bandai going to end their story with that movie?

Cenrji

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really doubt it. Adventure's ending was supposedly written to be a closing for the original anime series, but they decided make a movie featuring Omnimon (Our War Game)--taking place after the original events.
Then there was Adventure 02 and the events between the first series. 02 had more of a "definite" ending, appearing as if the big bad was beaten for good, and even showing what happened to the kids in the future.

It could've worked for a conclusion for Adventure (as the later series were about completely different casts), seeing what happens to them 25 years later, but there was still plenty of events in between, since that ending is only the far future. The 4th movie takes place after the events of 02, and then there was Tri years later. Last Evolution Kizuna could very well be not the end for the Adventure series, there's even bonus shorts that supposedly are related to the events.

Even then, doesn't mean it has to end. They just want to write the conclusions in a way that doesn't leave the series in a cliffhanger.

Last edited:

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They'll probably take a break for a while, but they'll prob pop back up in a few years for the 25th anniversary.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm more leaning towards "spin-offs" rather than continuation from previous series. I do think after The Last Evolution it would mark the end of main storyline for Tai & Co. Of course it is helped by the Digimon multiverse they could use to do spinoffs. I'm very interested to see some sort of prequel with Daigo & Maki's group though

Cenrji

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I do think it would be pretty cool though, if the next movie on the 25th Anniversary was more or less crossed with all series, like how Xros Wars did with bringing them together at it's finale.
But then again, I am pretty mixed with that series' decision for that. I feel like Hunters really just did that to save itself from being complete garbage...

Last edited:

DigiKing Tamer

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm more leaning towards "spin-offs" rather than continuation from previous series. I do think after The Last Evolution it would mark the end of main storyline for Tai & Co. Of course it is helped by the Digimon multiverse they could use to do spinoffs. I'm very interested to see some sort of prequel with Daigo & Maki's group though
Same. I believe Naruto Shippuden made an animated special based on that novel focusing on the Itachi guy so I can see Digimon Adventure digging deeper into the Original Digidestined's past as well as what happened to the ones outside of Daigo and Maki.

I do think it would be pretty cool though, if the next movie on the 25th Anniversary was more or less crossed with all series, like how Xros Wars did with bringing them together at it's finale. But then again, I am pretty mixed with that series' decision for that.
Last I checked, the Xros Wars manga is apparently heavily related to the multiverse, so I guess you could apply the same feelings towards that. :p

Last edited:

dgmn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Every and any series can be rewritten or rebooted, all it takes is some interest or good ratings to keep it going, remember it happened to many other anime, so why not Adventure verse. I personally wouldn't be surprised if in a decade or so they reboot it completely with a brand new storyline (or maybe that happens right after this Adventure film)

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey guys, I'm just wondering if the new film last evolution is going to be the last be we see of the original eight digidestined, are bandai going to end their story with that movie?
As long as it makes money it's unlikely that it will be the very last we see of them although it might be the last we see of them for a while (tie-in products not withstanding) simply because a title like "last evolution" does imply some sort of commitment to end at least something that I hope they wouldn't betray too soon.

[BTW, I reserve my right to be annoyed that a thread titled "The future of Digimon" is mainly concerned with only Digimon Adventure]

I can see Digimon Adventure digging deeper into the Original Digidestined's past as well as what happened to the ones outside of Daigo and Maki.
That feels like something extremely unlikely after they already fully showcased their final battle and ultimate outcome of their quest.
And especially by revealing that they battled the very same Dark Masters that the later chosen dealt with they basically wasted their chance to introduce any interesting or creative ancient villain or something if they tried exploring it more. And since we basically know that they didn't get in contact with their partners afterwards it's not like they are many interesting Digimon Stories to tell about them for that timeframe.

Last I checked, the Xros Wars manga is apparently heavily related to the multiverse
It actually is not related to it at all, quite the opposite actually. The main gimmick of the manga's cosmology (which doesn't exactly play well with the rest of the canon) is that there might be no multiverse and the Digital World is a single world that periodically rewrites its physical laws and history while still remaining the same universe.

I really doubt it. Adventure's ending was supposedly written to be a closing for the original anime series, but they decided make a movie featuring Omnimon (Our War Game)--taking place after the original events.
Then there was Adventure 02 and the events between the first series. 02 had more of a "definite" ending, appearing as if the big bad was beaten for good, and even showing what happened to the kids in the future.
There are a bunch of inaccuries here.... the staff knew that Adventure would get a sequel while it was airing, so the ending was never intended to be super final. In fact the epilogue of 02 (or at least parts of it, we don't know exactly) was originally supposed to be the epilogue of the Adventure itself.

DigiKing Tamer

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As long as it makes money it's unlikely that it will be the very last we see of them although it might be the last we see of them for a while (tie-in products not withstanding) simply because a title like "last evolution" does imply some sort of commitment to end at least something that I hope they wouldn't betray too soon.

[BTW, I reserve my right to be annoyed that a thread titled "The future of Digimon" is mainly concerned with only Digimon Adventure]
Well I for one would encourage Toei to keep making original Digimon stories! Who knows, we might at least get another Tamers.

Last I checked, the Xros Wars manga is apparently heavily related to the multiverse
It actually is not related to it at all, quite the opposite actually. The main gimmick of the manga's cosmology (which doesn't exactly play well with the rest of the canon) is that there might be no multiverse and the Digital World is a single world that periodically rewrites its physical laws and history while still remaining the same universe.
Huh, that's actually pretty interesting when you put it like that. I wonder if this will ever be touched upon again?

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As with most media franchises, if it makes money and there's good reception/ratings, they'll find a way to put out more stories. For instance, I'm sure if Tamers merch was flying off the shelves like crazy they'd strongly consider doing a sequel.

Edit: actually, is there a thread about the future of Digimon as a franchise in general?

jetman91

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope there is a future for Digimon. Especially in the west. Digimon Adventure Tri didn't do well enough to leave an impact on pop culture like the first two Adventure series but did well enough for Toei and Bandai to milk Adventure nostalgia. It looks like Digivolving Spirits collector's line is dead, the anime show is dead, and all that's left are video games and v-pets.

Cenrji

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I do think it would be pretty cool though, if the next movie on the 25th Anniversary was more or less crossed with all series, like how Xros Wars did with bringing them together at it's finale. But then again, I am pretty mixed with that series' decision for that.

Last I checked, the Xros Wars manga is apparently heavily related to the multiverse, so I guess you could apply the same feelings towards that.
I mean it's not the fact it's got crossover and/or using older concepts, but more of just the fact Xros Wars is a pretty mediocre anime series overall (in my opinion, mind you). Even moreso, with the Hunters part especially. And seemed like throwing in the crossover was more of just something they did just to save it from being completely being bad. It's really just as bad using the nostalgia card for some franchises, if the newer ideas just happen to flop. I'll probably write down my gripes with this series another time.

There are a bunch of inaccuries here.... the staff knew that Adventure would get a sequel while it was airing, so the ending was never intended to be super final. In fact the epilogue of 02 (or at least parts of it, we don't know exactly) was originally supposed to be the epilogue of the Adventure itself.

Yeah, I felt Adventure wasn't necessarily the true ending, indeed, as the sequel was definitely intended. Still, that's interesting to know that Adventure was intended to have a different ending.

Anyways, I really don't think Adventure would really have any reason to end itself nor the Digimon anime as a whole, as I do feel there can always be room for new ideas. But I do imagine after this, they'd focus more on making a new Digimon series or refining the later series with their own comeback. I did like the idea of Adventure having a prequel as it was suggested earlier in this thread, though.

Last edited:

bearmon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I kinda feel like the 02 kids will get killed off in last kizuna becuase toei hates them and 02 was a bomb that almost killed the franchise

Cenrji

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I kinda feel like the 02 kids will get killed off in last kizuna
Except that they and their Digimon were more or less absent in Tri, despite a few mentions of the 02 series. I think Last Kizuna is still technically before 02's epilogue, so they can't have died.

02 was a bomb that almost killed the franchise
...And I'm sorry, what?

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope there is a future for Digimon. Especially in the west. Digimon Adventure Tri didn't do well enough to leave an impact on pop culture like the first two Adventure series but did well enough for Toei and Bandai to milk Adventure nostalgia. It looks like Digivolving Spirits collector's line is dead, the anime show is dead, and all that's left are video games and v-pets.
I hope Bandai won't rely on smartphone app games just too much.

Ryudamon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What I think is that it is time for a new generation of Digimon tamers. I think they will jump right off the movie and add a few more tamers. They been showing a lot of X-antibody Digimon, and I know some of it is because of Chronicles and the X3 that came out, but in my personal thinking, I also think they will give the first gen X-antibody Digimon a time to shine, that should been something more then the X-evolution movie before Savers came out.