Digimon in May V-Jump- Adventure:, Card Game, Survive, & More!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

After a few different previews we finally have the Digimon content from the May 2020 issue of V-Jump!

First up is Adventure. Much of this is dedicated to basic series information, the cast, and profiles for Taichi and Agumon. We also got details of Algomon, which we got a decent shot of and translations earlier.

We also get to see a bit more of the Digital World. Full translations in a bit, but some of the key points they list are:
And unknown world that sets the stage for adventure!
It feels like the near future!
A fantastic landscape!

Much of the character stuff we got recently, anything we didn't we will try and have translated shortly.

Next up, the new Digimon Card Game

It goes over the rules of the game in detail, along with showing off various cards. Touya or someone will pop up with details of how everything works I'd guess.

This issue also included Garurumon and WereGarurumon promo cards that we got good images of earlier.

They also reveal the next 2 promo cards. Agumon and Greymon promo cards will be included in the May issue of Saikyo Jump, which is out in a few weeks.

That issue can be purchased here: (affiliate link)
May 2020 Saikyo Jump

Last up is a spread with a few different things.

First up, another Survive duo detailed (Seemingly the last duo?) (Quicky translations, these will be cleaned up later.)

Miu Shinonome. Voiced by Misaki Watada, who is voicing Hikari in Adventure:
Kaito's sister. A girl who acts odd and speaks strangely.

And her partner...
Shakomon. Voiced by Asami Takano, probably best known as Misa Todo from Shirobako.
A bi-valved monster. It has a realistic personality and acts with common sense.

The Survive section also shows off what is seemingly the final version of the Survive key art, featuring all 8 kids with their Digimon.

Digimon Survive can currently be pre-ordered at Amazon.com: (affiliate links)
Digimon Survive for PS4
Digimon Survive for Switch
Digimon Survive for Xbox One

Survive is currently scheduled for 2020.

Below that ReArise is shown off with Paramon and ShineGreymon: Burst Mode.

The other side shows off the Figure-Rise Standard Amplified model kit of MetalGarurumon, the Precious GEM of MetalGreymon, the CSA Digivice Last Evolution (pre-orders close in a few days), and a small corner showing off Last Evolution Kizuna.

A big stack of stuff this month.

Thanks to TechnicalSuwako for the images.

Attachments

YongYoKyo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love the use of Shakomon, though Miu's matching color-scheme seems a little too on-the-nose.

About time ReArise gets Burst Mode. It seemed strange to have only Ruin Mode, but not Burst Mode, for such a long while.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh the burst modes are finally coming to ReArise. That took a lot longer than I thought, especially since Ruin Mode was like 6 months ago.

And for Survive... Syakomon is the expected Water Digimon, not where I was expecting that to go. I'm slightly disapointed since Chitose had one in Hackers Memory, but his turned into Seadramon and that's probably not what theyll do with Miu, so it should be interesting to see what line this Syakomon goes down. Also she sure likes having long sleeves I guess lol

now that we know all 8 (probably?) main characters, surely a release date can't be too far away now.

I love the use of Shakomon, though Miu's matching color-scheme seems a little too on-the-nose.
Saki is basically just human Floramon with that dress of hers+her shoes

Last edited:

YongYoKyo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Saki is basically just human Floramon with that dress of hers+her shoes
Not sure how her shoes apply, since they were a vibrant blue. Floramon doesn't have blue feet, but yes, she still closely matches Floramon anyways. However, Miu feels like she takes it a step further.

Saki could've gone further with a red beret or red-framed glasses, maybe yellow bracelets around her wrists. Meanwhile, Miu is pretty much a Shakomon "gijinka". Her "head" is green, and she's covered in oversized purple/magenta clothing (with a hood no less).

GraveBride

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I see for the TCG there's an Active Phase, Draw Phase, Raising Phase, and Main Phase, but no specifically designated Attack Phase, like in other games. So ya just mix together playing cards and attacking in the same phase then? Interesting if so. Though, I guess this makes sense. MetalGreymon did gain +3 Memory if blocked. If there was a separate Attack Phase I guess that Memory wouldn't mean much... Unless there was a second Main Phase, but that's not the case, so... 😅

SparkGold

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
WOW it was staring us right in the face the whole time that her Digimon is Shakomon with her matching color scheme! I have hope that finishing off our cast introduction is a sign of a release date anouncement soon. Hopefully soon I'll get to cry for three hours because I accidentally coughed on Minoru and killed him. I wonder if this young character sharing a voice with Kari is a coincidence or if the similarities between the two characters will go beyond that 🤔

Grimmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am so happy to see Shakomon!
Since the previews of the first few characters, it seemed like an obvious inclusion! Assuming Agumon won't be the only partner digimon to pressumably get new evolved forms, this might mean we finally get to see final forms for the Gesomon-MarinDevimon and Octomon-Dagomon lines? Assuming these lines would be included, of course... Beyond that, Ranamon-Calamaramon-AncientMermaimon and Hookmon-CaptainHookmon-Boltboutamon are paths I'd like to see for it.
In any case, the aquatic, plant, bug and bird digimon groups all suffer from far too many members that feel homeless, so I am excited they are all represented in the cast.
I hope other digimon are being treated similarly in future games.

Touya

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Starting off with a general summary, this issue contains the detailed rules for the new game. Taichi wants to know which of the three styles you'll choose: the super attack-type Gaia Red, the evolution-weakening Cocytus Blue, or the solid defense of Heaven's Yellow.

Along with Agumon and Piyomon, the Gaia Red deck focuses on Dinosaur and Bird-type Digimon belonging to the Red attribute. It intensely increases DP (attack power) to decide the game with powerful cards. The trump card of the deck is War Greymon. Meanwhile Cocytus Blue's Beast and Marine Animal Digimon specialize in discarding the opponent's Evolution Sources, with their trump cards being Metal Garurumon and Plesiomon. (Who...has no effect. It's a Play Cost 10/Evolution Cost 2/12000 DP vanilla.)

Heaven's Yellow is composed from Angel and Holy Beast-type Digimon, which decrease the opponent's DP and reinforce your Security, making for a reliable way of battling. The trump cards of the deck are Seraphimon, who decreases an opposing Digimon's DP by 4000 during the turn it attacks, and Holydramon. (Another 10/2 12k vanilla)

As stated before, you win the game by attacking the opponent directly when they have no Security remaining, and to reach that point you have to attack all 5 of their Security to turn them face-up and remove them.

Turns in the Digimon Card Game are made up of four phases:
  1. Active Phase: Turn all of your Rest (landscape) Digimon to the Active (portrait) position.
  2. Draw Phase: Draw 1 card from your deck. However, when taking the very first turn of the game, you do not draw a card.
  3. Raising Phase: You can either turn 1 Digitama card from your Raising Area face-up to hatch it into a Baby-level Digimon, or evolve it into a Level 3 or greater card to send to the Battle Area.
  4. Main Phase: During this phase you can evolve and attack with Digimon, or use Option cards. If after you've paid a cost, the opponent's Memory gauge is at 1 or more, your turn ends.
As revealed previously, the Memory Gauge is shared between players and paying a cost causes the marker on it to move towards the opponent. In this way, you can play high-cost cards right from the first turn of the game, but it will give the opponent more Memory on their turn. The example given in the article is that if you have 5 Memory available and pay a cost of 10, the opponent will now have 5 Memory.

Your deck consists of exactly 50 cards, made up of Digimon, Tamer, and other cards. You can have up to 4 copies of the same card in a deck--meaning cards with the exact same card number.

The game field is made up of 6 areas. At the beginning of the game you draw 5 cards to form your Hand, and at the start of every turn and when evolving a Digimon you draw 1 more card. You draw cards from your Deck, discarded and destroyed cards go to the Trash, the Digimon you play appear and fight in the Battle Area, the Security Area contains the cards protecting you, and the Raising Area contains the face-down Digitama cards that you can (once per turn) hatch into Baby-level Digimon. If you have a face-up Baby in the Raising area, you can evolve it instead of hatching another Digitama, thereby moving it to the Battle Area. Baby Digimon also provide Evolution Source effects just like other Digimon.

Tamer Cards provide battle support. You can have up to 4 of the same Tamer Card in play at a time, stacking their effect repeatedly to influence the course of a battle.

Digimon Cards are the focal point for battle, and as long as you can pay the cost you can play any Digimon from your hand regardless of level. Evolution strengthens your Digimon for a lower cost than playing them normally, and you also draw an extra card when you evolve. Digimon can only evolve into cards of the same color that are one level higher than them. (So you couldn't evolve Agumon into Agumon just to get more instances of his effect.)

Regarding battle, when two Digimon attack one another, the one with the lower DP is destroyed. (They don't mention how ties resolve.)

Page 2 is about how to use the 2 promo cards from this issue with the Cocytus Blue Starter Deck. It is not rocket science: evolve Tsunomon into Gabumon into Garurumon into Were Garurumon into Metal Garurumon and you have a dog that attacks twice per turn, draws a card every time he does, removes an opponent's Evolution Source with every attack, and checks 2 Security so long as you have 8+ cards in hand. You can take the opponent from 5 to 1 Security in a single turn. Woof woof.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am so happy to see Shakomon!
Since the previews of the first few characters, it seemed like an obvious inclusion! Assuming Agumon won't be the only partner digimon to pressumably get new evolved forms, this might mean we finally get to see final forms for the Gesomon-MarinDevimon and Octomon-Dagomon lines? Assuming these lines would be included, of course... Beyond that, Ranamon-Calamaramon-AncientMermaimon and Hookmon-CaptainHookmon-Boltboutamon are paths I'd like to see for it.
In any case, the aquatic, plant, bug and bird digimon groups all suffer from far too many members that feel homeless, so I am excited they are all represented in the cast.
I hope other digimon are being treated similarly in future games.
Pretty much all games use leviamon for gesomon -> marinedevimon.

My guess is that most of the cast get an olympos member. For miu in particular that would be Neptunemon.

Also three vaccine, three virus, and two data triggers me greatly.

Tarama

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Survive's full squad! I love every mons they chose to represent each type.

SparkGold

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I had to look up Cocytus and I did not expect it to be a river in the underworld in Greek mythology. That might be fitting for Iliad but for Metal Greymon and Pleisomon that's oddly hardcore.
This card game sounds very interesting, it has a lot of mechanics I've seen in Magic the Gathering and Pokemon trading card games along with a lot of unique mechanics and it gives a feeling of this game wanting to go very in depth and strategic in its gameplay. What I'm most interested in is the Memory Gauge mechanic. It seems complicated at first but if it's pulled off well, it could be very appealing compared to Magic the Gathering and Pokemon's mana and energy mechanics which can make some games accidentally unplayable in a literal sense. I know quite a few recent card games have tried better ways to limit how much you can do early game with more indepth cost and energy systems but I don't personally know any similar to this Memory mechanic so I really want to see it in action! It seems made to limit your starting hand being a hand of things you can't play

Also three vaccine, three virus, and two data triggers me greatly.
don't worry, it'll even out once they start dying 😏

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I had to look up Cocytus and I did not expect it to be a river in the underworld in Greek mythology. That might be fitting for Iliad but for Metal Greymon and Pleisomon that's oddly hardcore.
I have seen the word Cocytus used in manga and anime before (usually as Ice Power).

So I doubt they think it is especially hardcore. It is probably just a cool name (relate to Ice).

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have seen the word Cocytus used in manga and anime before (usually as Ice Power).
So I doubt they think it is especially hardcore. It is probably just a cool name (relate to Ice).
The only reason "Cocytus" is associated with ice in the first place is because in Dante's portrayal of hell in which Cocytus is described as a frozen lake in the lowest circle.
And considering the yellow deck literally namedrops heaven, the contrast is probably not unintentional.

Kon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The only reason "Cocytus" is associated with ice in the first place is because in Dante's portrayal of hell in which Cocytus is described as a frozen lake in the lowest circle.
And considering the yellow deck literally namedrops heaven, the contrast is probably not unintentional.
I know. I've never say the relation with Dante'd portrayal of hell doesn't exist.

My point was that I doubt they consider Cocytus a especially hardcore thing.

SparkGold

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
this seemed odd at first when you mentioned it as devil and demon Digimon seem like they would have their own color and how it would make the red deck an odd outlier to the contrasting themes then I realized - Earth, Heaven, and Hell are the naming conventions. So now the entire cardgame is hardcore to me with their naming by extension 😅

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Shakomon is such an obvious choice that I cannot believe I didn’t realize Miu was getting one earlier. I desperately need that complete Survive key art for wallpaper purposes now.

The card game sounds fairly simple, which is a good thing! Part of me is a little concerned that they already smashed the game balance to pieces with Cocytus blue being so much better sounding than the other starter decks, but I don’t think it will hurt in the long run, haha.

Nightwing

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So is that Dracomon confirmed for Gaia Red? Honestly surprised to see any Digimon outside of the Agumon and Biyomon lines lol.

Miu and Shakomon look pretty interesting. It’s pretty funny how much her bio sounds like Hikari’s in Adventure: lol. Sounds like Shakomon is intended to balance out her weirdness so that could be a nice dynamic.

G-SANtos

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I kinda guessed she was going to get an aquatic Digimon because both Miu and Kaito's names seem to be derived from water. "Kai" means "ocean", and Miu is just "umi" (sea) backwards. But everyone else was guessing angelic because Kaito has Dracumon. But I don't think these two are mutually exclusive. Shakomon could become MarinAngemon, although it's an odd fit.

And since Kaito also has a watery name, Dracumon could become... MarineDevimon? Dagomon? Leviamon? I guess Leviamon is the only Ultimate in that list, but I can't remember any other water demon Digimon other than those three.