Digimon Illustration Competition Announced, US/Japan Art Contest- Prize is Cash & Art Used on Official Cards

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
digimonillustration0_december16_2021.jpg

As announced with Digimon Con, the Digimon Illustration Competition has started!

Running now through February 6th in the US and Japan, the official description of the competition:
In 2022, the 「Digimon series」 will celebrate its 25th anniversary, having developed numerous contents including the anime "Digimon Adventure" based on the "DIGITALMONSTER" released in June 1997. In commemoration of the 25th anniversary of Digimon, I would like to ask everyone to create an illustration of the "Digimon's cool or cute scenes" they can think of, and by combining their thoughts, I hope to convey the appeal of Digimon to as many people as possible. The works selected for the Grand Prix and Excellence Award will be used as card designs for the Digimon Card Game, and we are also considering exhibiting them at events.

The prizes...
(Cash prizes are cash prize equivalents, so for those in the US, likely just USD converted at the time of payout.)
Prize (1)- 300,000 yen and the winning illustration will be made into a Digimon card.
Second (7)- 100,000 yen and the illustrations will be made into Digimon Cards.
Judges Special Prize- Various chosen people will recieve 50,000 yen.

Key dates:
February 6th- Entries Close
February 26th- 30 to 50 works will be announced as passing the first screening, and will be announced on the site and at Digimon Con.
March 30th- The grand prize winner will be announced on the website.

Some contest details...
Open to adults in Japan and the US.

File specifications:
JPG or PNG
1450x2000 pixels
max file size- 10MB
max of 3 entries per person

Entries can be sent via a digital camera photos or scanned images, but winners will be asked to resubmit their data via Illustrator.

digimonillustration1_december16_2021.jpg

A general image showing how the art will be used when it's turned into a card. The various text and spaces are showing places where, based on the eventual data chosen for the card, it might end up covered.

The at theme is 'Digimon's Cool or Cute Scenes'

The list of Digimon that can be subjects of the drawings are here:
Agumon
Patamon
Terriermon
Gammamon
Numemon
Devimon
Lilymon (There is a note for Lilymon referring to her art being reference material, so in various places her wings aren't drawn as the normally would, base the wing shape as to how they show in front facing images)
Mugendramon

Bandai Profile art & Anime artwork is shown off as samples to show what the characters look like for artists. You can also view various cards from the card game featuring these characters for references.

Production notes
If drawing digitally, have effects, background, characters on separate layers.
If a Digimon is not eligible for the contest, it is still OK to include them in the art as long as they are not the main subject of the image.

Digimon in the background 'must' be in the Digimon reference book as of the time of this post.

You can not draw people in the illustrations. Various other subjects are listed on the page that are not allowed and other rule details.

A link to the main Application Form & Rules page, with the actual submission form here.

The page has various other details.

Judges
Kenji Watanabe, longtime Digimon designer and artist
Masashi Harada, Bandai Co., Digimon Project Leader
Makoto Takahashi, Bandai Co., Card Business Division Gneeral Manager
Digimon Card Game R&D Team (unspecified members)
Yosuke Kinoshita, Digimon Movie Producer
Digimon Ghost Game Production Staff (unspecified members)

Screening/Judging Criteria:
Matches the theme
Creativity
Originality
Design Quality

There is an FAQ with various potential questions you may have.
This includes details on things allowed (such as three-dimensional art, etc.)

The contest sounds nice, especially since it seems to have decently defined rules, and some fun prizes (cash and your art used in a card.)

The image at the top is a composite with some rescaled/tweaked images.

digimonillustration2_december16_2021.png
digimonillustration3_december16_2021.png

The original of the promo art for the contest is on the left. The right is a PNG output of the original logo vector.

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 7,141

TheImpster

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why does Bandai hate Europe?!

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is this the first time they've allowed people outside Japan to do this sort of thing? RIP Europe but baby steps.

I feel like they should've had more than just 8 options, should've let you draw anyone that's already had a card. Least you can draw anyone you want in the background (if theyre in the DRB, poor guys not in it).

With 8 winners and 8 Digimon we'll prob see one of each, so you'd be more likely to win with a Numemon art than a Gammamon art (unless we get 8 Gammamon card winners... which would be boring)

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don’t know. Numemon might appeal to people just because it would be easiest.

sappyfoo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope sinobali (sp?) enters this! I joined their patreon account and just absolutely love their work!!

Strontium

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don’t know. Numemon might appeal to people just because it would be easiest.
I hadn't even thought of that! Of the Digimon on the list, Patamon is a clear favorite of mine, but TMS is right that the less popular a Digimon is, the better the odds are for your drawing to win (all else being equal).

Still, if I got around to entering the contest, I'd want to draw a cute Digimon being adorable.

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope sinobali (sp?) enters this! I joined their patreon account and just absolutely love their work!!

Wont be able to, Sinobali is from Malaysia (according to their Twitter location)

AppliFang

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Deadline is kinda far....so they gonna have a lot of choices to choose from lol xD

I wish it was original mons as a theme!

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is still really cool. If only I had talent. But yeah, this is great.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's great that they're letting fans who aren't just in Japan participate, though I wish it wasn't just the U.S!

Still, it's a start. Hopefully one day they include Canada, Europe, Oceania and the rest of the Americas too.

TheImpster

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's great that they're letting fans who aren't just in Japan participate, though I wish it wasn't just the U.S!

Still, it's a start. Hopefully one day they include Canada, Europe, Oceania and the rest of the Americas too.
And Africa

Smoppet

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Usually I avoid art contests like the plague, but maybe I'll actually enter this one??

Jagmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I entered one picture so far. but I did not get an email saying they got it in. has anyone else entered?