Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon Heroes has finally been released outside of the handful of countries that got versions of it over the last few years.

It is downloadable on various countries versions of the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store.

Image Thumbnail Image Thumbnail

The game is a free to play card battle game with an adventure mode.

No doubt we will get yays and nays on which countries it's available in at this point as people wake up and get home from work or school (Based on their local schedule.)

Originally released as Digimon Crusader in Japan and since shut down, the game has had test releases in various countries as Digimon Heroes (China and Australia being the primary ones.)

A handful of countries (mostly in Asia) will apparently not get this new 'worldwide' version of the game (due to various licensing agreements.)

Prior Toei financial information suggests the game was planned to come out worldwide in spring of 2015 (and the Australian test came out in spring of 2015.)

The game will be available on Android and iOS.

Prior thread regarding Digimon Heroes is here.

Edit- Here is what was up above before the game was released.

Based on new information Digimon Heroes will finally be released properly.

Image Thumbnail

Various teasers have given us a proper release date and map for where Digimon Heroes will be released. It will come out this Wednesday the 27th (2 days) in most of the world.

kkanbara

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Awesome news!! Any idea if there will be any restrictions? I know you said most of the world will be incorporated but I'm just wondering which parts of the world those will not incorporate

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Awesome news!! Any idea if there will be any restrictions? I know you said most of the world will be incorporated but I'm just wondering which parts of the world those will not incorporate
Look at the image.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hooray! It's out! ...And I can't get it but hey, how is that any different for Windows Phones. But Hooray! it's out in places that aren't Japan!

Sandra U.

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
WHAAAAAAAAAAT, I am from Australia and is the 1st time I hear about it. I'll check it out, hopefully is a good game.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
News post has been updated since the game is now out.

FranGP

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Available in Spain. I guess I will go on hiatus in Monster Strike.

Grimmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was great until I realized it required you to be online. Not for me, then.
Why would it even require you to be online for the adventure mode of the game? A pity.

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why would it even require you to be online for the adventure mode of the game? A pity.
The 6th party member is always you choosing a party member from the internet.

Also, I may be wrong, but I wouldn't be shocked if all progress is stored online.

Grimmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, that's how it seems to be.

ShindoW

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I had no expectations for this game. So far I'm enjoying it.

CoDL

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If I didn't have homework to do I'd be playing this all night. As it is it was hard to put down just to come here. I'm so glad this game is finally out

Kotekuma

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Unfortunately, the game so far isn't very challenging. it seems like if you can match colors you're good. Still, it's a fun time waster to see all the artwork

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Digimon Heroes just released mobile wallpapers for Digimon Heroes, but they're high resolution.

So I FINALLY have high res Digimon art...except it has an ugly background and logo but oh well. I'd never thought I'd seen a high res Omegamon X Antibody! I commented to try to convince them to post more lol. Bandai needs to make a modern artbook already!

i thought I'd give people a heads up because some people were helping ot archive all the official art from Crusaders in the past.

I think it stores all the data on their servers, not your phone. It's really disappointing for me too. I won't be playing it a lot for that reason.

Last edited:

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A closer look...

So the game is finally out internationally... seems to be a good time to check it out again, I haven't really been interested in it since it first launched mostly with the unaltered crusader assets while now it is pretty much its own thing.

Anyway the good things first: It is still not using dub names. I was worried that this would only be the case during the development phase and that it would switch to dub names once released in locations that would normally use it however common sense (or some very fortunate licensing situation) seems to have prevailed for once. It would have been nice if the same was true for other parts of the interface though as there are still terms like "digivolve" and "digifuse" to be encountered

So it's not the most faithful adaption of the original game; many things were changed, most changes are "under the hood" but the most noticeable is the fact that the UI has been redesigned completely and while the levels are mostly the same the select screen is no longer a single list but a collection of "islands" while this does make for a more flashy visual design it still hampered by the simple fact that most sets of missions are completely identical in terms of levels and sequence leading to a string of well... almost identical looking islands which doesn't really make for a engaging presentation.
Another weakness compared to the original is the fact that the names of the individual levels in each set is no longer displayed in the main overview of the area and the only way to find out the name is entering the level (which costs energy) and view it in the pause menu. While the level names are not the most inspired descriptions or vital to the gameplay it is still very awkward how far they have been hidden away considering said short description are pretty much the only pieces of actual "story" or lore you'll get in the game at the moment.
This is one of the biggest worries that could blow up to something completely catastrophic: There is no trace of cutscenes in any of the events. This had been the case since the beginning but you know given that it was practically a beta before now it might be possible that they withheld the story content until the full release but now the game is fully out and there is no trace of it.
In the original every event would be framed in a little story featuring the Digimon you would encounter in the event's levels not all of them got translated back then, but the ones that did revealed some amusing dialogues, references to other parts of the franchise and other nice little details that added some flavor to the gameplay. None of this seems to exist in Heroes, even though the current events are indeed identical to those in the original. Digging through the game files there also doesn't seem to be any indication of assets or data existing for these cutscenes in the current versions.
That a big shame and I sincerely hope that the main story of the game won't suffer the same fate.

The overarching theme of the game, a string of special events featuring a story about Aegiomon's journey as it meets different Members of the Olympos 12 after his home is attacked by Titamon and discovers the different Aegiochusmon evolutions is the main reason why crusader could actually be considered a worthwile and intriguing addition to the franchise, as it was the first story to focus on the Olympos 12 as a group and reveal some of their backgrounds.
It' highly likely that we will eventually get to see at least the events themselves considering the special event items such as Aegiochusmon's evolution data do exist in the game's card library but will they at least keep the cutscenes in those instances?
As the game has only been out for a short time I might give them the benefit of the doubt for the next few weeks but if we do end up with a version of the game lacking almost all of the story the story what's the purpose of the grind or indeed a translated version, if it doesn't actually translate the main meat of the game?

Speaking of the translation, most of the profile translations are okay although some use some rather awkward wording. The Digimon gallery is no longer freely accessible as it was when the game was first released in its limited form, anyway if you're interested in a list of all profiles in the game I've ripped them from a version that still used the standard crusader file system; you can find the link in this post: http://withthewill.net/threads/14997?p=270800&viewfull=1#post270800 (no new cards have been added since launch as far as I'm aware and none of the profiles I've read so far have been changed in terms of content)
In the same post you can also find all the cards currently in the game. The game launched, even in the earliest version, with most of the cards included in crusader with the only missing ones being the last few cards released before the game shut down. For some of them (such as the Junomon hysteric mode card) I'm not even sure if they ever got integrated into the gameplay which might explain their absence.
For some of the cards Heroes uses higher quality assets than crusader, this applies however mostly to the first half of the card pool, wwith many of the later cards still remaining in their original below average quality. I had hoped that with the full release some of those other cards would also be replaced by better versions but sadly this doesn't seem to be the case.

If there is one recent change that I fully welcome it has to be the fact that you can not only see a Digimon's max level on it's info site but also the max stats. Originally it could be fairly tricky to figure out which digimon to level up for what purpose. Two Monsters might start with almost no difference in stats but as they level up they might gain stats in completely different areas. In heroes you can see exactly what you are dealing with making building up a effective team easier than before.

As far as the core gameplay within the level goes don't look for anything new here; While balancing was repeatedly mentioned on the facebook page virtually none seems to have been implemented. The enemies and their respective attack times and stats seem pretty much identical to those in crusader and so are the evolution requirements for most Digimon I've seen so far. The auto completion algorithm still has the same quirks it always had (including an almost complete disregard for critical wild card combos, when there are other, mostly worse options available).

One of the biggest question with this kind of game has to be: Is it still as pay-to-win as it was before?
The answer is... pretty much yes although I'm not sure if it's worse or not. On one hand there are some big negatives. The card quality of the lottery pool for the free friend point eggs is much worse than that of the equivalent friend point gasha in the original. Some of the best cards such as the God rarity Omegamon are no longer possible to obtain using friend points. And as if that isn't enough, getting friend points is harder as well. In the original game you would get 20 fp for taking any normal digimon from the companion list into battle while getting 30 for Digimon on your friend list.
Heroes changed this to only 10 friend points for normal Digimon, 20 fp for normal friends and 30 points for friends on facebook. That is quite a change. Without having a large network of friends that are constantly online your friend point output is effectively halved.
Anyone who played crusader knows that the friend gasha is one of the most vital and effective ways to get above average rarity Digimon usable to level up your team and those changes are slowing down that process considerably.
Other changes lean more towards the neutral or good side. For example there are no longer 3 types of premium lottery tickets, instead the green ticket is the only one in the game this is good because this lowers the numbers of premium exclusive items and lotteries, so once you get a green ticket (more on that later) you get access to a roll from the only special ticket card pool which includes some really nice cards. In the original game there would have been red and yellow tickets with their own better lotteries.

In general the game is much more generous with premium currencies than crusader was. Tickets and Digimoney used to be a rarity only available through special log-in rewards and events, but at least in the early stages Hero gives you more special items. This includes a guaranteed 20 Digimoney for completing a set of levels for the first time and a guaranteed green ticket for the first time of completing each trial (the final level on one of the islands). You can also get Digimoney and tickets for completing achievements called "missions" most of which are pretty tricky (there are also daily achievements but those pay out with EXP items rather than premium currency). This way you get far more chances at the premium lotteries just from playing the game, however since both islands and trials are limited this source of premium currency will run out soon enough. So still it pretty much serves as a more effective way to draw in new players and tease the premium cards.

On a related note one of the big downsides to this version is the increased energy cost for events. Even having a go at the medium difficulty event levels will cost you 35 to 45 energy points; ludicrous values in comparison to the original games. Especially on events where time plays a big role this puts players that won't pay for energy refills at an even bigger disadvantage than they already are. So that is just aggravating.

Overall it's as playable as ever however unless some of the actual story content is translated there isn't really much to get out of this game except the same grindy gameplay loop that most crusader players will already have experienced or maybe even gotten sick of over two years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.