Digimon Ghost Game: Episode 9- Warped Time

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 9, Warped Time

A preview of the episode from the end of episode 8.

Episode 9 airs Sunday, December 5th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, December 4th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, December 4th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, December 5th, 2:30am in the UK (GMT)

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• 1467276278961086464_FFsd9gpacAAeX7-.jpg
    1467276278961086464_FFsd9gpacAAeX7-.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 9,863

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Starting with a quick dream and then Hiro is late. Gammamon... wants chocolate.

Was nice of him to wait for Hiro even though he was late, limited stuff and all. Gammamon and Kiyoshiro complaining he is late also as a duo is... funny.

The framing here, not actually showing what's going on, and just having Hiro show up and time be 'off' works supremely well, especially when they do start having small visuals to show things are skipping around.

Going to Ruli for help makes sense.

No one seems to be asking Gammamon what happened to Hiro, even though we see it happen while he is in the room.

The library visual really reminds me of the shop in Appmon, at least based on memory.

Cursed library. Evil papercuts. Noises.

The visuals when he was hearing ringing had a nice look to them, and matched well with the ringing noises.

More evil books! This is also a rare episode where it feels like the music has more personality to it and isn't just sort of there.

Jellymon is amused with herself.

And the library ghosts are... Bokomon and Bakumon. Excuse me, PROFESSOR Bokomon.

It really feels like they wanted to use Agumon Hakase and Terriermon Joshu here, but didn't want to swing to super iconic Digimon so quickly.

Bokomon not knowing Gammamon is the first in show appearance of the idea that Gammamon is a 'new' type of Digimon.

And some explanations of Digimon not being seen.

Invisible stage- Can't be seen at all (without the watch.) Can go through walls, etc. Can't interact with anything except a Digimon.
Next stage- invisible, but can touch, hold through things, etc. Can't go through walls anymore.
Hologram ghost- can interacted with phyiscally, touch things and people, 'can' go through walls when staying calm and being careful
Materialized- Properly physical. Emotions factor into it. The heart is what is important, not the data. Digimon like Bokomon who put thought into it can do it at will. The 'bad' Digimon try and speed up this process and do it artificially as we've seen.

Bokomon also confirms Digimon are showing up in the real world without knowledge of what is happening. We get a flashback to the gate in the last episode.

Bokomon theorizes that humans burn up when they go to the digital world, rather than successfully arriving there.

And off to a coffee shop to get sweets. Abandoning Hiro for ice cream during all this seems like a bad idea.

Jellymon doesn't care, she's tired of the data dump.

Gammamon likes the chocolate. A parent points out to their kid that the Digimon are likely just an ad.

Bokomon is interested in Gammamon and Hiro didn't notice anyone leave.

Hiro pulls them into the pseudo-digital world long distance. That's an interesting tweak. Plus Clockmon not recognizing it since he wasn't there when it was ever done.

Bakumon and Bokomon showing up to help Hiro before anyone else arrives, fantastic touch.

Shadowy Digimon form from Gammamon again. Clockmon isn't happy at this, beats him up.

It also made Clockmon's attack reflect. Some nice pleading for help as his own attack starts to finish him off. And they evolve to Betel to try and save Clockmon. Interesting that the method of trying to help is attacking him to push his clock the 'other way' to reverse the effects.

And Clockmon is back to normal. And materialized at that. Bokomon seems amused at this.

Clockmon is now friendly, says goodbye, and is stopped by Bokomon, so he can train him to learn how to be invisible on his own. And the others want to learn also.

Bokomon also talks about how evolution seems to be work.

Hiro is worried about the shadowy form that began to pop out of Gammamon and we're done.

The episode works a lot better than the episodes we've been getting (although the early portion of the episode drags a decent bit), even if much of it was done via a few minutes of data dumping. It helps frame a lot of things we've seen, while also giving needed background information. Really hoping it continues on this path instead of the more 'nothing' episodes we've been seeing.

And for the guest cast this week...

Bokomon is Yusuke Numata. In Xros Wars he was Flymon, in Hunters he was Tsumemon, in Appmon he was Perorimon, plus he appeared last week in Ghost Game as ThunderBallmon.

Ai Orikasa played Bakumon and is new to Digimon. She has a long career playing many popular characters, just a handful of which are Ryoko in the Tenchi franchise, Quatre from Gundam Wing, and the older sister of Kuwabara from Yu Yu Hakusho.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Invisible stage- Can't be seen at all (without the watch.) Can go through walls, etc. Can't interact with anything except a Digimon.
Next stage- invisible, but can touch, hold through things, etc. Can't go through walls anymore.
Hologram ghost- can interacted with physically, touch things and people, 'can' go through walls when staying calm and being careful
Materialized- Properly physical. Emotions factor into it. The heart is what is important, not the data. Digimon like Bokomon who put thought into it can do it at will. The 'bad' Digimon try and speed up this process and do it artificially as we've seen.
Jellymon also claims that she can pass through surfaces even when fully Materialized with little difficulty.

Last edited:

Digiforlife

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
hmm looks like that shadowy digimon is manifested when Gammamon is pissed and its abilities are absurd by the glimpse of it. I wonder if Gammamon has the equivalent version of Digital Hazard from Guilmon in Tamers...

Thatguy3331

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ok, I give up. I think I'm done having expectations for this season now.

This episode isn't really bad but considering what the concept was, we go about it in the most boring way possible. Like, I'm happy we got some proper answers to how the Digimon "ghosts" work but just having it told to us like this is also super boring. I can vibe with Hiro not wanting to leave clockmon to die, but not only do I suspect Ruri and Kiyoshiro will be perfectly fine with this and have no dissenting thoughts and opinions about this going forward, we also do it in a very... Awkward way. Hey at least Betel got to be useful for more than 5 seconds. Like I just thought you would only have to turn the arrows on his body in the opposite direction but hey, I guess beating the shit out him works so. I mean as long they don't act like it's CPR or somethin-

I think with the way the past 9 episodes have been presented so far I'm lead to believe that we probably won't be going anywhere interesting with our cast. Like, yeah I'm sure whatever the "plot" is will kick in but we haven't really been given too many hints of our leads beyond surface level sans maybe "Huh, Hiro seems oddly fine with accepting requests and picking locks nonchalantly". This could change over time of course but a lot of the previous seasons at least did something to allude to additional layers of our cast in various degrees by this point. It just leaves me to think that it simply isn't a priority for the show. It might try to lead us more with "intrigue and mystery" but even on that front I'm not confident if the show is capable of utilizing satisfying set up and pay offs for that sort of thing.

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode started of interestingly enough, like the somber first half really made me think of Ruli's intro episode; the way it was focused on the character being affected by the monster of the day, seemingly helpless.

The middle part was nice because it finally explains the rules of how Digimon Ghosts work, yet still leaving a lot of mysteries: Hiro's dad, evolution (though that was kinda explained), and Gammamon as an oddity.

The return of Clockmon was exciting enough, but unfortunately the redemption and his reasoning of "oh you saved me, so i cant do anymore harm to people" kinda fell really flat. The befriending the enemy shtick is really running thin, especially if this expected to be a long runner.

Dathanatus

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm kinda glad Hiro is showing some basic human decency. I've seen a lot of, well not bloodlust but hope they'd get to deleting enemies on most boards. I don't really get it. I'd be pretty worried if kids suddendly jumped to murder ,because that would be exactly that, before they exhausted all possibilities. Clockmon's change of heart makes sense, he got to experience first hand his own evil and fear of death. I doubt he'd be able to do it again to someone after experiencing it.

I like Bokomon, he's smarter than everyone in the room and he knows it. Prideful and helpful, a pretty good combo.

I kinda wish the story took place across two episodes. It's the problem of most episodes from Ghost game so far. Adventure2020 for all its faults took you from point A to B and you saw the progression. Episodes followed each other. Right now we are in a monster of the week phase, with a new villain each episode. Builds up is only in the first half of the episode and I think it's to the show's detriment. I would have liked for the build up to last longer, which they can't do if they limit themselves to a 20-ish minutes episode self contained story.

Last edited:

TheImpster

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it's a really good episode, for the most part. I don't think Bokomon straight up telling us how the different stages of materialization work takes away from any sort of mystery, because we DID see Digimon in all of those stages before this episode, especially with Mummymon. It felt like I was actually in the room with the kids and when he was done explaining it was an eye opener.

Clockmon's redemption... I like the fact that it took something really extreme to make it happen, rather than just talking to him. But it should have been something more gradual. Like, maybe he retreats again but at the end of the episode you see him get the opportunity to attack another innocent victim. But an image of Hiro flashes and he decides not to.

Pleasehearmyopinion

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One of, if not my favourite episodes. To be honest, the subversion of expectation mostly caused my enjoyment to sky rocket immensely. The only thing I have a nitpick on is the fact that Betel beat the clock hand forward and backwards when they were rewinding Clockmon's time. The animators were definitely not thinking that out well.

On the other hand, I really hope Clockmon, Bakumon and sensei Bokomon would come back in subsequent episodes.

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They use this version of Bokomon and not Agumon Hakase and Terriermon Joshu maybe because the two are meta digimon and never appeared in any anime or manga before. And it's just cool they use Bokomon instead for one or two references about him in the other media. Now I wonder if this Bokomon will get his own profile or not. I hope not.

So there are four stages of digimon in real world. Interesting.
The fact that human entering digital world will be burned is also interesting.

Gammamon is a rare digimon excites me. My theory is that Gammamon's digitama is from the outer space of digital world. Hokuto might know about this. Let's wait till the revelation.

Momentai

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This wasn't a bad episode at all, I really enjoyed it, but there was still something that didn't convince me. I appreciated the introduction of a character like professor Bokomon that FINALLY could clarify the issue of Digimon stages. I also really liked how they set the return of Clockmon.
The final part was the least convincing one. I didn't like how the guys accepted Clockmon's change of mind. It was all too quick. And Betel Gammamon repairing Clockmon by beating it up... welll, ok 😅, his potential as a fighter is very disappointing so far.

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Today, I am posting earlier than usual as I watched the episode much faster than usua. I think this episode was good. The early scenes with Hiro's time being screwed were a good setup. Coincidentally, I had trouble sleeping this night. Took over two hours to fall asleep (went to sleep at 00:27 and after 2 hours without managing to fall asleep, I took another sleeping pill) and woke up a mere six hours later. Them going to a library was a good premise. I loved Bokomon's clarification about how Digimon appear in the Real World. I am sure his remark that portals have been opening up, along with BlackTailmon opening a gate in the last episode, as shown in flashback, will lead up to something. Good to see the Digimon now being more open, even eating ice cream. Clockmon's sudden return was well done. I liked Batumon's intervention. Gammamon turning his attack back against him was well done. Like Hiro at the end of the episode, I wonder what the black shadow was. Anyways, it was touching to see Hiro deciding to help Clockmon despite what he had done. BetelGammamon beating him up to set his time right was well done. Good to see Clockmon changing his ways, this time through more than talk, and for him to stay with Bokomon. Good to see they will keep in contact with Bokomon. I am sure he will appear again. So likely will Batumon and Clockmon.

Once again, the fact there was no flashback to the Halloween episode leads me to believe it's supposed not to be referenced, being a holiday special.

Last edited:

Prodigious

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really liked the episode. It explains a lot and they hinted that there’s a “big bad” or something larger at play- someone or something brought the Digimon to the human world.
Ghost game to me is the best series since tamers.
I genuinely look forward to how they build upon this world. I am however ready for more action. But I think that will come in time as they learn more about the motives behind these Digimon and what happened to hiros dad

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not a whole lot to say today as it felt like a bunch happened yet at the same time not much simultaneously. The whole "time skipping" thing felt well executed in the moment but kinda didn't go anywhere afterwards? Like, I was expecting something along the lines of either Hiro's mounting stress and fear causing Gammamon to Dark Evolve or for Hiro to find some way to beat it since he's portrayed as being intelligent and finding ways around Digimon's attacks. We *finally* get some explanations surrounding the inconsistent "Ghost" nature of Digimon's materialisation although I don't see what was so spoiler-y about that that they couldn't just say it in the interview. Seeing Bokomon again was a nice surprise and I definitely prefer that to the more obvious Agumon Hakase. Felt pretty dumb of Ruli and company to just leave Hiro who is having strange problems but I did like that Angoramon immediately assumed Hiro was in danger as soon as the Digital Field appeared. "Gulus" appeared once again out of Gammamon just to remind us that he's there really. I definitely think Clockmon should have died here as it would have shown a consequence of tapping into Gulus and how Digimon fights are not a game - as it stands, befriending Clockmon was ultra cringe.

Next week is Kiyoshiro's time to shine and will we finally get to see one of the other hero's Evolutions? :unsure:

Lord Bearmon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm kinda glad Hiro is showing some basic human decency. I've seen a lot of, well not bloodlust but hope they'd get to deleting enemies in most boards. I don't really get it. I'd be pretty worried if kids suddendly jumped to murder ,because that would be exactly that, before they exhausted all possibilities.
In Ghost Game? When lol

HeavyLeomon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I didnt had my hopes so high but still expected clockmon to evolve after being defeated, or at least make something cool, not to be afraid again by gulusgammamon shadow...
Crazy how Clockmon wich looked like the most maniac of the enemies they faced, turned into a sweet boy in 1 minute.
Right now im wondering if this show is gonna change its path or just keep the scooby doo episodes all the way...

Soft

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm real intrigued about GulusGammamon, these sneak peeks are creepy and make me want to see the real deal behind his mystery.

sappyfoo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am happy they have explained more in how Digimon and their materialization in the real world works. I’ve been very curious about it up until now and honestly still very curious what else is being left out to learn in future episodes. I am still very curious as to how long it will be until an enemy Digimon actually gets destroyed/deleted.

I truly love GG. I think it is a great Digimon series and I do have high hopes. There have been a few episodes that seem “blah” as in slow and not very much action.. like.. at all. But despite that I really still like it. I have to remind myself it’s still VERY early in this series and there is so much we haven’t seen this far to be able to make a fair negative review of the series as a whole. To be completely honest it slightly bothers me when so many people jump to hating on the series as a whole when it’s SOOOOO early in this show to judge it so negatively like some do. I always say it’s unfair to judge it negatively while it hasn’t even been halfway through the series. But with that being said I always do seem to get where people are coming from when they explain why they dislike it while at the same time keeping my opinion on that it shouldn’t be judged negatively as a whole so soon. It just isn’t fair at all to the series. We also have to remind ourselves that the episodes are only ~23 minutes long so we really have to wait to see more. But I definitely do think they should make some episodes as a part 1 and part 2 episodes to make certain stories within the series longer and more detailed.

With the adventure reboot being judged negatively for the constant battles and little story telling (which I can agree with to an extent) it’s nice to see them being more detailed but at the same time they’re not including very much in most of these episodes (so far) of battles. I’m very much looking forward to some amazing battles, but I can be certain saying that those types will come later most likely after at least one of the characters are able to digivolve past champion. I am honestly surprised as well as slightly annoyed that only gammamon has evolved so far. I understand part of that is to keep the evos on the other two a surprise until after the dims come out, but at the same time they already show one of the evolutions for both the other two in the intro while we also know most of the alternate evolutions from the dim card evolution trees.

Anyway, I still definitely love GG and am very excited to see what else happens in each new episode. I’m looking forward to seeing more action as well as continuing the story line.

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode surprised me. Bokomon wearing uniform and Bakumon!

Clockmon messing up somebody's time sense is seriously like, nightmare it could easily be mistaken as forgetting or memory suffering to be overlooked among humans!

Look like Gammamon's "Bad vibes" is not like Guilmon's "Hunting to Death" instinct.

Clockmon didn't get deleted that surprised me, they just saved Clockmon and fine with it as long as Clockmon no longer attempts to harm humans?!

Look like Hiro will meet new digimon every time he meet, he will end up asking for random question involved with Digital World but not all answers in go... I find it very bizarre.