Digimon Ghost Game: Episode 7- Birds

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 7, Birds

A preview of the episode from the end of episode 6.

Episode 7 airs Sunday, November 21st, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, November 20th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, November 20th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, November 21st, 2:30am in the UK (GMT)

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• 0article.jpg
    0article.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 11,349
Last edited by a moderator:

Shiningmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, in the end Daigo was just a fanatic who followed Yatagaramon.
The series' first true voiceless villain, Yatagaramon nearly sparked disaster by releasing dangerous birds.

And finally Kaus arrived, I don't know if you saw the variation during the evolution sequence (instead of the red beam, we have a blue beam, so we have to expect a green beam for Wezen and if there is a sequence for Gulus, a dark beam)

I loved that Jellymon had other clothes for the winter.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Starting it off with birds isn't that shocking. But it does it well, just having the crows show up and landing one by one.

I laughed at him locking the window. The timing of that worked.

Menacing crows at that.

Gammamon is super excited to have chocolates. And they appear to be the chocolate snacks you can buy (different packaging in the show, but the snacks appear to be identical.) He dropped them. Poor Gammamon. Can't ever get ahead with food.

Kiyoshiro is there! And based on his face, against his will. Definitely against his will based on asking to leave.

Yatagaramon being mistaken as a drone is an interesting way to go with it.

Gammamon looks very content in that backpack right now.

I'm... not sure classes work that way. If he's enrolled he'd have to show up. He wouldn't just not have to show up and be enrolled.... in name? That's a bit odd.

And offerings for Yatagaramon to work for him.

They remembered Hiro has a friend!

This episode really requires the cages to have digital locks to work.

The fibonacci sequence is a plot point. But I'm not sure why as it seems irrelevant to the plot & goals of Yatagaramon. It's only there to be a clue even though there seems to be no reason for it.

Nice winter gear for everyone I have to say. And Jellymon even has one when she transforms to her normal mode, and a bit more Christmas themed for her it looks like.

The animation got much more lively when the fight began, as you'd hope.

Gammamon is just upset about the chocolate still, multiple times. Gammamon works well as a one note comedy character.

KausGammamon appearing didn't feel it clarified 'why' as well as it needed to if it wants to juggle multiple evolutions on and off.. The show didn't go to any effort to differentiate 'why' minus that he wanted to fly, and then going that he's also blue.

And Yatagaramon just... left.

The show is in an interesting mild rut. It's not doing anything interesting, and the writing is roughly at the same level as later Adventure:, it's just more pleasing to watch because much of it is character elements. It's better than later Adventure: due to that, worse than early Adventure:, and doesn't seem interested in doing much else for the time being.

Yatagaramon was played by Yasunori Masutani. Well known to Digimon fans as Etemon in Adventure, Adventure:, & any number of games, plus Mercuremon in Frontier.

Daigo was played by Tobita Nobuo. Digimon fans would know him as MadLeomon in Xros Wars, and he was the Parasimon who showed up in Hunters.

Interestingly, the name Daigo appears nowhere in the episode itself. It appears to have simply been a scripted name that was kept for crediting purposes.

This is also the first Digimon TV episode that Director Kakudou has directed in over 10 years.

Last edited:

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The most important revelation is that Angoramon is not fat, he's just super fluffy. Probably should've expected that considering what animal he is.

Thatguy3331

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Out of the more formula based episodes this one might be the best but in some other ways it might also be one of the worst. Ok no doubt this one was better than last week, maybe it was just a matter of the episode flowing better but it was undeniably much more of an entertaining watch. I especially liked Ruli and Hiro basically forcing Kiyoshiro to act as recon since he has the most free time and jokes aside, it worked pretty well! It felt a lot more satisfying of a team up than last week even though Kiyoshiro basically did most of the work. Kausgammamon finally appeared and thanks to it we get our first real “fight” of the season! Well you know one about as good as any of the early standard TV fares but it’s nice to have it feel like this lasted more than 10 seconds. Yatagaramon was also a pretty convincing threat and while it’s nice that it wasn’t talked out of anything… it just leaves…

That’s almost even less satisfying cause like… why was it doing all of that in the first place? Why did it just decide to leave? What the heck was all of this even about? Not sure if this guy is going to come back again… hell did they even say his name in the episode itself? Iunno it’s a weird one. I definitely liked this episode more but there’s also a lot of weird stuff that leaves me going…”huh… well, that happened I guess.”

Last thing I’ll comment on is, much like episode 1, the direction and shots are pretty great but the actual animations and even drawings on the more stationary shots of characters is oddly lacking, jank, and kind of holds back what this show seems to wants to do in the moments before the battle. I heard that the production was in sort of a rough place and while I can’t exactly say that as an absolute fact it is sort of disappointing in a way that leaves a lot to be desired. Oh well, most digimon TV shows aren’t visual winners anyway…

Last edited:

PCN24454

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The fact that there was a human antagonist made this feel like a Savers episode.

My current theory as to why only Gammamon can evolve is that he was the only one exposed to Clockmon's power.

It would explain why Clockmon is going to reappear later in the series.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Better then last week's episode, but I'm not sure where I'd rank it among the rest.

For once it was nice to get a fuller battle. The series has been leaning more on appealing the MotW's characters then actually beating them into submission and that worked for characters like Mummymon, but in cases like last week's Sirenmon it felt unearned and overly formulaic since it didn't fit the flow of the episode. Getting a break from that and letting the Digimon just let loose for a bit was a nice change of pace. It also doubled in making Kaus' debut more meaningful since we got to see more of his abilities in his fight, as well as a little more strategy in having Hiro and Kaus make use of the environment to their advantage to beat Yatagarasumon. So overall it's the best fight of the series so far, but admittedly that's more out of process of elimination as fighting wasn't the focus of the other episodes to begin with.

Speaking of the crow, Yatagarasumon not talking was a double-edged sword. On the one hand it does make it more unsettling as you don't quite get its motivations, so it acting out made its actions harder to comprehend and understand. On the other hand, as said before it does leave its conclusion lackluster since it just... leaves and that's all we get out of it. With the other MotW talking we get a better understanding of their actions, so when they relent and give up on their goals for the episode we know why it happened. We don't get a full reason as to why Yatagarasumon stopped when it did, so it feels more unsatisfying as a result.

Also, a minor gripe of mine is that I wish they went with the older version of Yatagarasumon as it fits the motif of the episode better, but that's a small issue.

Brubarb

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the first time Gammamon evolved and didn't get instantly defeated! Things are moving up? Maybe?

I am so confused about why Yatagaramon just decided to leave! Was it because it's morning and it doesn't want to be seen, like what?

Leoil01

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It did speak at the start when he appeared saying he wanted to free birds from the human ego so he saw keeping pet birds as arrogant humans lording over the birds

Digiforlife

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Overall I really liked this episode's theme of freedom to choose but one area of improvement I would like to see is more time on investigation given the culprit of each episode is revealed in a quite formulaic manner which is starting to stagnate on the series. If they can get our protagonists to use different, cleverer ways to get the culprit digimon to reveal itself would make the show better. And again lack of main story plot progression is starting to bit concerning for me given what happened with Adventure 2020...

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Overall I really liked this episode's theme of freedom to choose but one area of improvement I would like to see is more time on investigation given the culprit of each episode is revealed in a quite formulaic manner which is starting to stagnate on the series. If they can get our protagonists to use different, cleverer ways to get the culprit digimon to reveal itself would make the show better. And again lack of main story plot progression is starting to bit concerning for me given what happened with Adventure 2020...
To be fair, the lack of main plot works better for this series's premise than Adventure since it is supposed to be a mystery investigation which is episodic by its very nature whereas Adventure has a plot that it lost at some point.

Last edited:

Brubarb

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have a feeling Clockmon and Dracmon will be the main story plot

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Reminder: Tamers' plot did not truly kick off until episode fourteen, before then it was establishing the world and characters. Data Squad and App Monsters were likewise slower to start with.

Last edited:

Tarama

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
KausGammamon is a surprise. I hope they keep doing like this by not showing any evolution in the episode previews.

Wolfry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode felt middling to me. On one hand, Kiyoshiro shows more of a competent side. He has shown this before, but his contributions were either overshadowed by "haha look at how scared he is" like in Jellymon's introductory episode, or it gets undermined like in the Sirenmon episode where she just breaks free into the streets. Not to mention KausGammamon was introduced in... i'd say an interesting way? And he does pull his weight against Yatagaramon. Not to mention the longer fight.

On the other hand, Daigo was just kind of... let go after proving himself as a legitimate criminal, and it feels weird that he wasn't arrested during the spree of bird kidnappings considering he barged into several homes and pet stores. Not only that but Gammamon is the only one with two evolutions (technically three, with the GrusGammamon silhouette in episode 1) while Angoramon's and Jellymon's haven't appeared yet. I'm aware that it was mentioned Gammamon evolving and de-evolving is unnatural, but I really hope the other Partners can evolve soon.

One of the weaker episodes, but i'm personally fine with it.

AppliFang

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I guess this episode is trying to show that their will be people who will worship the digimon and even help the digimon's needs!!

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was definitely channeling its inner Hitchcock lol. Bird man felt like a wasted opportunity, he didn’t really add anything to the episode and sucked up screen time - probably should have had him possessed by Yatagaramon and used as a mouthpiece so we had a clearer insight into the ‘mons aim instead of just being exposited by Angoramon at the end, also it would have been interesting to see how the crew dealt with a human antagonist instead of just warping away to the digital space which felt like a bit of a cop out. It did feel oddly contrived that *every* birdcage used the same digital padlock which allowed the thefts to take place. The moment that Hiro commented on Gammamon’s flight not being fast enough at the beginning of the episode I should have foreseen KausGammamon arriving. Once again the heroes try to fight an enemy who should be vastly more powerful as Rookies, I can forgive the humans making that mistake but as Angoramon knew who Yatagaramon was then he really should have known better. I get that this was KausGammamon’s debut episode but it really took me out of it that Hiro didn’t try to have him go BetelGammamon first and get his butt kicked because he can’t fly in that form. And then after taking a few licks, Yatagaramon...just flies away - at least last week made logical sense despite how dumb it was that Sirenmon had a change of heart, again Yatagaramon not talking really hurt this episode. Side note, I was bemused when Angoramon starts waxing philosophy about freedom despite the obvious problem that of occurs when you forcibly release captive animals into the wild.

Overall, another episodic episode that misses the mark. Hopefully the main plot will kick in soon and save us from this mire.

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The birds melted the padlocks, so they would've opened the cages regardless if they were electronic or not.