Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 58, Pyramid

A preview of the episode from the end of episode 57

Episode 58 airs Sunday, January 8th, 9am in Japan.

We expect the simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, January 7th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, January 7th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, January 8th, 2:30am in the UK (GMT)

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• FAA041B1-D93C-4715-8B23-D21FBF0C964E.jpeg
    FAA041B1-D93C-4715-8B23-D21FBF0C964E.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 11,855

Wolfry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was such a good episode I swear. Love love love the evolution sequence too ❤️

ARTS1984

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So the second of three mega evolutions has finally arrived...Angoramon(my boi!) go his turn at the Mega wheel and it didn't dissappoint! I liked that they pulled from the Frontier well and used AncientSphinxmon this time around and Diarbbitmon's evolution was sooo cool. Whereas Hiro faces the viewer when the digivice comes into view, Ruli looks AWAY in a cool backwards pose. It's kinda a mirror inversion of the Hiro sequence whereas Canoweissmon is flying towards Hiro, Lamortmon is running towards Ruli and jumping up and then Ruli, like Hiro, is pushed out of the energy surrounding Lamortmon only to the left instead of right. It's an interesting dynamic which makes me wonder how they'll do Kiyoshiro and Jellymon's considering their...unique partnership. lol Anyway, great episode!

Lucifer Angel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Diarbbitmon's evolution was great and the battle was good as well. I enjoyed the whole riddle aspect as well.

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was just wow. Angoramon's Ultimate evolution animation was freaking way epic and way better than Siriusmon's who happened to be animated average....

Damn, so I finally got to see the back of AncientSphinxmon! And it was double long barrel machineguns! How odd it didn't match with KaiserLeomon for comparison of AncientGreymon/Vitramon... Unless if it's inside KaiserLeomon's mouth deeper?

And man, AncientSphinxmon freaking built a pyramid full of humans to just welcome Pharaohmon...

Look like Diarbbitmon regretted it as he didn't save AncientSphinxmon.

It's really weird he restored his mind from Lamortmon's pure instinct rampage and he is really very prince knight.

Diarbbitmon is freaking not swordsman. He is more of Dark Maigician of Yugioh for famous disappearing magic actions! And he got one attack similar to Duftmon X's certain attack. He is indeedly high tier Ultimate level.

Eitaroutarouman

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They had Angoramon evolve here because it's the Year of the Rabbit, didn't they? It's way too coincidental that the first ep of 2023 just happened to be his turn.

Brubarb

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Diarbbitmon kind of looks like an African man in a mask and suit

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Egyptian inspired monster tries to summon a great being, just to be overpowered and then banished to the Shadow Realm where none can escape? Are we sure we're watching the right show?

Last edited:

Eitaroutarouman

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Egyptian inspired monster tries to summon a great being, just to be overpowered and then banished to the Shadow Realm where none can escape? Are we sure we're watching the right show?
Well, she did face Piedmon in a Shadow Game that one time.

Amandil7

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What a satisfying episode! AncientSphinxmon was such a treat to behold, Mummymon being there and the nod to Pharoahmon was super cool too!

Diarbbitmon's evolution sequence was so well done, as was the fight itself. Wanted to see his flashy blue and red blades like in his profile art, oh well. This was stellar stuff!

digifan313

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For anyone that like riddle, can anyone tell me why the answer to 'I can go all over the world but must stay in one place' is mind/heart?

I'm used to Hiro being rather passive I was rather surprised that he knew about the urban legend before Ruli even realize it.

In a surprise turn we got Angoramon final evo before Jellymon.
Diarbbitmon... So Diarmuid Rabbit? I didn't expect our resident rabbit to become an Irish figure, but that's par for the course of digimon I suppose.

Espimon 'I want to evolve too', wonder if it's just them teasing

Funny in the digimon file they explicitly say it's Greek Sphinx that do riddle but we be calling Egypt Pharaohmon anyway.

In a bit of tangent, the new evo theme three for three got good use out of it when the previous theme always got cut short in some way most of the time kinda make me sad a little since I love that one :(

Eitaroutarouman

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For anyone that like riddle, can anyone tell me why the answer to 'I can go all over the world but must stay in one place' is mind/heart?
The mind can go anywhere, but only inside its body.

Kiiro

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ahhh what an amazing episode! They are really nailing it with the evolution scenes and sequences so far.

Diarbitmon is super cool in action, I didn't expect to like him that much!
Also I like that the group of supporting Digimon are also participating in battle frequently these times. Even though they mostly fail, it makes the environment livelier.

And finally, I'm glad that for the first (and last) time we got an Angoramon evolution episode before getting "baited" by another Ruli focused episode ahaha

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Trusgain is a nice technique. I like the clones of Diarbbitmon. It reminds me of clones of rabbit in a mythology/fiction which I can't remember what.

Roberto zampari

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon Frontier debuted the Ten Ancient Warriors. All of them were shadowed silhouettes.

Overall, AncientSphinxmon is the fourth Ancient Warrior to "really debut on-screen" in Digimon anime, AncientGreymon and AncientGarurumon appeared in Digimon Frontier movie, later was AncientVolcamon in Digimon Xros Wars / Fusion. Also, this is the first Ancient Warrior to appear in Digimon Ghost Game, not counting Gigasmon and Calmaramon, who are the Beast Spirits of the Ancient Warriors.

Diarbitmon's debut was amazing, Jellymon's mega next?

AncientSpinxmon tasted its own medicine.
By the way, who voiced AncientSpinxmon?

Last edited:

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And so the Year of the Rabbit starts off with a rabbit's Mega Evolution, which strikes me as not a coincidence. AncientSphinxmon! It's always cool to see the Ancient Digimon that didn't get the screentime they deserved in Frontier. Interesting that they went with the Riddle of the Sphinx, but kinda weird that it took up so much time yet no one gave the correct answer in the end. Given he had swords, I was not expecting the magic acts from Diarbbitmon - he is very much a red mage and it was cool to see him fight. Reading his Profile, I see he takes influence from Diarmuid given his sword names which hopefully won't end in a tragedy. I'd say the weakest part of the episode would be the build up to the Mega Evolution. The episodic nature I feel has undermined the character development of the human characters as Ruli wanting to find the perfect hobby felt like it came out of nowhere and didn't add to what should have been the climax of her relationship with Angoramon. Overall a good episode and certainly better than Siriusmon's, but I'm holding out hope that Jellymon's Mega will be the greatness that I am looking for in a Mega debut.

Side note, Mummymon running around in a lab coat randomly was something I didn't know I needed.

Geode

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Diarbbitmon was awesome and did Ancientsphinxmon has something metal on its back?

I wish we could see the other warriors like AncientWisemon and Ancientmermaimon.

digifan313

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The mind can go anywhere, but only inside its body.
Ahhh thank you so much, this has been bugging me XD

Interesting that they went with the Riddle of the Sphinx, but kinda weird that it took up so much time yet no one gave the correct answer in the end.
Yeah, even with Diarbbitmon appearance I fully expected this to be a return of the usual Ghost Game beat them by talking instead of AncientSphinxmon offing himself like that.

I see he takes influence from Diarmuid given his sword names which hopefully won't end in a tragedy.
Honestly with Lamortmon debut having the story of a forbidden love between a beast and a woman and Diarmuid troubled love story, have to wonder if the writer have something specific in mind for Ruli's story.
Ruli wanting to find the perfect hobby felt like it came out of nowhere and didn't add to what should have been the climax of her relationship with Angoramon
Is it weird that I feel like we've seen Ruli with various interest before but I can't recall any of it. But yeah, it's a bit weak especially since Ruli's last remark is about flower viewing and bride instead of something she wants to do

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally back, so here is my writeup.

We start off with detailed work being painted, and as he walks away, something grabs his shoes and demands his riddle be answered.

Riddles are given, but the guy is scared and thinks it is a prank. And he looks up and sees AncientSphinxmon, with a classic riddle of the sphinx setup, and he gets digitized into a block of stone.

Ruli plays piano and Angoramon is reading. A piano recital is coming up soon. We see Ruli and others checking clothes for it. It's noted Ruli left piano class but loves the piano. She didn't like the recitals, playing is still fun though. Angoramon notes that is fun.

Kaoru is leaving practice, but her teacher notes she's wearing her fancy shoes that should be saved for the recital. And she's grabbed, riddle time.

And she's a block now.

Ruli finds out Kaoru has gone missing. Everyone goes with her to look. No clues. Kiyoshiro recommends they go her route home. Ruli seems annoyed he gave an obvious suggestion. Kiyoshiro takes notes as they go along. Jellymon notes he's imitating an anime, right as he trips over a rectangle indention. Gammamon finds a shoe, which Ruli recognizes, Espimon finds the other.

Hiro notes similar mentions have shown up online. Jellymon is bothered by just how many shoes they find, as is Ruli elsewhere.

Another guy turned into a stone block/monument, hits the ground to make an indent, and then Hiro is grabbed also. Riddle.

It demands an answer as Gammamon notes it is a Digimon. Hiro becomes a block. Kiyoshiro recognizes the scream and Gammamon gets knocked away.

Ruli is annoyed everyone is late and not answering their phone. Jellymon and Gammamon arrive and explain both were turned to stone, and it was a Digimon. Angoramon seems surprised at this.

We see the blocks being made into a pyramid, but Kiyoshiro is still yelling for help.

Mummymon recognizes the story when they are looking for help, and knows who is doing it.

Angoramon doesn't believe that Digmon can still exist.

AncientSphinxmon appears in a movie theater demanding answers to another riddle, and a bunch of people get turned into stones. No one seems bothered at the giant lion create that walked out of the movie screen.

Mummymon notes that it ruled over death and destruction in ancient times, lives being nothing but pebbles to it. It continues to build the pyramid and seems in awe of it turning gold.

Mummymon and Airdramon both notice something happening, and we see the pyramid appear outside, building itself and floating.

Angoramon is bothered by the voices coming from the bricks. Jellymon and Gammamon recognize some of the clothes.

As people get ready to take photos Ruli activates a field. Mummymon is in awe as it really is AncientSphinxmon.

The pyramid is nearly complete and cracks begin to form above it in the sky. What is the name of the great kidn who will manifest shortly, from the cracks. Pharaohmon, the ruler of the ancient Digital World.

Mummymon isn't happy at the idea of this being returning and ruling over all.

AncientSphinxmon says Ruli will be the capstone. As it goes to attack Angoramon warps to Lamortmon.

Gammamon and Jellymon also attack, doing about as little as you'd expect. Although Lamortmon isn't exactly doing well either.

Lamortmon declines to answer its questions, and Mummymon also attacks, although Lamortmon gets slammed into him.

Espimon gets blown away after Mot Bomb doesn't do much.

AncientSphinxmon asks another reiddle as the pyramid inches closer to being finished.

Lamortmon tries to attack but gets blown away quite easily. AncientSphinxmon goes to attack again, Ruli and Airdramon rush in but got knocked back and Ruli falls, while Lamortmon jumps and grabs her, but he's mostly had it. And the pyramid only has one stone left as a sarcophagus appears. Only one stone is needed.

Rulis feet get grabbed, and a riddle is asked. Angoramon asks about if it has a piano, and talks about the novels it likes, desserts, tea, hot springs, and traveling, culture, and more, and Ruli begins to do the same as the VV starts to activate. Angoramon wants to learn more, and Ruli isn't done trying to find her perfect hobby yet.

Ultimate evolution. Diarbbitmon. The sequence is sort of just the Angoramon equivalent to Siriusmon and is less fun than I would have hoped.

His design looks better in animation than it had been in a lot of what we've seen.

Diarbbitmonstarts to slash at AncientSphinxmon a decent bit and knocks it back. AncientSphinxmon's attack is stopped and is seems surprised. Diarbbitmon demands it stops, and it says it doesn't need his permission. A portal tries to grab him, but he's able to move out of the way and AncientSphinxmon goes into it. Diarbbitmon tries to grab him to stop it but it's too late.

Everyone gets restored back to where they are. Kiyoshiro is happy. Hiro wonders if it was Ruli who saved them.

The others celebrate as light flies around with people restoring. Espimon wants to evolve. Angoramon mentions they should check on the others.

Mummymon is impressed. As the sarcophagus vanishes he refers to it as his king, and mentions there is hope for this modern civilization.

We see photos from the piano recital on Ruli's phone later. Angoramon is puffy.

The new ED visuals are nice, and slightly more fun than some of the prior ones, although feels far more coherent than a lot of what we've seen from Ghost Game, basically telling a story we didn't see, with returning characters, etc. Not sure about the song, it's almost a bit too calm. Will decide on it after listening to the full one a bit.

Hiro's Study Files this time is... AncientSphinxmon.

The problem seemed more focused than it often is in this one, but it never really goes past the actual question being asked. No one much muses on much of anything until the very end, and the actual riddles themselves didn't have the 'twist' moment where one is properly gotten and that turns things around, etc. It was an episode that came across much more bland than it should have.

Hiroyuki Kinoshita has his first Digimon role as AncientSphinxmon. A number of decently known roles including Ikyo in Ajin, Mugensai in Bakumatsu, Atsushi in Jin-Roh, Fujimaki in Megalobox, Nicolai in Tiger & Bunny 2, among others. His dubbed over roles are various Aaron Eckhart roles, including Two Face in The Dark Knight, various Colin Firth roles, Ultron in Age of Ultron, Crocodile Dundee in a recent redub, and House in House.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Huh. Marc must have been busy. But this was fun. A bit creepy like always but why does he hate shoes. I guess our surprise looking Mega is the other one. But this is pretty cool looking. Fitting Ruli a bit. I liked that we have more allies fight. Plus Dr. Mummymon is a fun character.