Digimon Ghost Game: Episode 5- Divine Anger

Wolfry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First bad episode of Ghost Game IMO. Jellymon came off as an unbearable brat and the episode tried too hard (and failed) to make her look cute. The pacing returned to the shit pacing that Adventure: had, jumping straight into action and comedy while completely ditching the horror atmosphere and serious build up that made the previous episodes good. The worst part though is Kiyoshiro's character arc. Any development that he may have had in regards to becoming less of a coward is negated by him still being Jellymon's little bitch. Am I supposed to believe that he can stand up to a giant dragon but he can't stand up to a little jellyfish bully? And why did none of the characters bring up the fact that she was the one that should have been punished by Majiramon, not Kiyoshiro? How comes everyone just lets her go without even an apology after almost getting Kiyoshiro killed? The only answer I can seem to find for these questions is the writers want to continue with the trope of Jellymon bullying his tamer for easy laughs so they sacrifice everything else for that sake.
I did not get the impression that the episode tried to make her cute, I got the impression that they showed a glimpse of how messed up she probably is with how she tampered with the virtual talismans and didn't quite care about Kiyoshiro's well-being earlier on. Kiyoshiro did get fed up with her considering she kept telling him to run away (edit: and monopolized on his fears considering she was singing about him dying via Vedhaka at one point), but you can't do much else when a Perfect-level digimon is coming for your head.

Speaking of that, the virtual talismans were Kyoshiro's creation, and Majiramon focused more on its origin.

It's fine to not like a character, though. It's just that it doesn't feel like the episode intended to make Jellymon "cute".

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah same here felt Jellymon's personality is totally Ranamon but with intelligent and so chaotic just for giggles.

It's just the design of Jellymon easily instantly make anybody like her. Dunno how...

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Rewatched it and now I have two questions in mind.

How could Jellymon touch Digivice V before being materialized?

Is the Digivice V she gives to Kiyoshiro from Hiro? If not then we might have the fourth (Villainmon?)

I mentioned this before but it seems like the hologram ghost are actually able to touch items (Gammamon knocks over some books before he's realized, clockmon breaks Hiro's window, Pumpmon holds a knife, etc.) Dracmon was just hasty and sloppy (even then he'd still need a dim card, wonder what the in universe explanation for those will be)

The plot hole is her grabbing Kiyoshiro's arm to put the dim card in since the holograms shouldn't be able to touch people but she and mummymon didn't get the memo I guess
Clockmon and Mummymon clearly showed that some Digimon can switch between full on ghost mode and being able partially materialize. Pumpkinmon was also implied to have mastered that skill to an extent. Still doesn't make sense that Jellymon could touch solid matter. It's directly stated that Dracmon wouldn't be able to carry the Digivice by himself.
I think that's less of a rookie/child level problem and more a Darcumon specific problem tbh.

This is just a theory but watching the scene again I really can't get over how utterly hasty Dracumon is compared to Jellymon who was basically in total control of the whole situation. If the whole thing is a matter of the digimon having to have mastered a skill then I can buy Dracumon just not being good at it given his nature, vs Jellymon who, while chaotic, still seems to actually be smart and a stronger will.

Not that this explanation is perfect since, again, Gammamon pretty thoughtlessly knocks some books over, which leads me to think that the holograms being able to touch items is a concept for them to have in a general sense, but somebody somewhere didn't get the full information forming this inconsistency/plot hole.
My theory is that Level III is when Digimon start having physical influence on the human world, hence why some like Gammamon and Jellymon are more adept at physically manipulating their surroundings without actually materializing than others.

Additionally as the Digimon grows, the better control they have of their abilities which in turn is what makes higher Level Digimon more dangerous and thus scarier.

The reason I think this is that we haven't seen a single Level I or II Digimon so I wanna liken them to Class I or II supernatural phenomena in Ghostbusters.

Last edited:

Idiysar Almond

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The idea that Majiramon is some guardian deity of something in human world is interesting, kinda remind me of Survive's "Digimon has always been there since old times, if there's something mysterious, it's actually the work of Digimon". But then i remembered how Angoramon said that Digimon evolved from some computer virus, so Digimon here must not be too old, not even 100 years old. Well, i liked this idea since this means digimon/digital world still interacts with real world and hope there'll be more Digimon that has real world-related backstory/connection other than random got lost/isekai'd Digimon like Pumpmon.

My favorite ep so far and i must say Kiyoshiro-Jellymon pairing is the most interesting partnership in whole Digimon entry, hope they'll do something about that, especially the "darling" thing.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ha. Jellymon-Sama is a fun one. These two could be the most fun. And interesting plotline too. Really fun teams this season.

Mon-Ohma

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
JELLYWELLY.png

"What is this Rule 34, and why do I have over a thousand entries on it!?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd say we've got ourselves a fairly clear picture of Kiyoshiro now. With the angle they're going for essentially boiling down to taking Joe, giving him Koushiro's hacking skills, and finally turning him into a closet weeb.
Jellymon (or Jerrymon as the auto-translator prefers) is something akin to an impish take on early Mimi with all her pampered brattishness played up. And Kiyoshiro very quickly established as both the source of her annoyance and amusement. Which is certainly a lot different from how first meetings usually go in this franchise.
Admittedly I've never been big on 'Dere' archetypes and their often abusive (because girls physically tormenting boys is funny) relationships, with only the very rarest of exceptions. It all comes down to how they're handled in the long run, and there is indication this will mellow out in time hopefully, so I'm prepared to give things the benefit of the doubt for now.
Ghost Game has so far done a solid job in giving us both human and Partner Digimon with their own distinct characteristics, something which very few entries have managed to balance successfully.

Saying that this episode as a whole doesn't quite click for me, even more so after a rewatch. And that reason is largely down to pacing.
Kiyoshiro's character arc here is simply too rushed. Spending the majority of the plot being Jellymon-Sama's panicky buttmonkey, to suddenly standing up and confidently taking responsibility for the problem at the last moment. The payoff just doesn't feel properly led up to.
It's a problem that could perhaps easily have been solved if they had spread things out across the span of two episodes instead. Majiramon as the primary antagonist certainly lends himself well to it. Bringing to mind Daijinryuu from Dairanger as this unstoppable force of nature (economy in this case), a massive step up from previous opponents.
Although I definitely prefer how he was presented here in comparison to Tamers, at the same time I was left a little underwhelmed, like we could have got significantly more then what we ended up with (Minor Quibble: He can clearly fly but decides instead to take a leisurely stroll towards the protagonists).
Likewise his three Chartered Accountants are themselves rather forgettable, seemingly thrown in just to serve as brief distractions for the rest of the group.

Overall it's perfectly serviceable and I don't consider anything about it offensively bad. It just doesn't quite live up to what it initially promises.
I definitely still prefer Ruri and Angoramon's introduction episode more, both of whom end up being superfluous here. Same goes for BetelGammamon's third outing.
Ghost Game currently seems to have the opposite problem 2020 had, where any action is being treated as more of an afterthought rather then the main selling point.

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I forgot to mention this a week ago, but I liked having Kyoshiro be an anime and manga fan.