Digimon Ghost Game: Episode 5- Divine Anger

Cardcaptor Takato

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wasn't quite sure at first of what to think of Kiyoshiro but after this episode I really enjoyed his character and I like that he's basically Joe as a chunibyo with a bit of Koshiro mixed in. I liked how Jellymon was just pure chaos and how she starts off teasing Kiyohiro but she seems to come to respect him more at the end which is a pretty unique way of introducing a new Digimon partner in the show. I also liked Majiramon had a bigger scale of a threat to him and he wasn't just beat with the power of friendship and we had some good action scenes. Gammamon is always a joy to watch when he's on screen. I wish Ruli had gotten more screen time but I enjoyed her momenets with Angoramon.

robiu013

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
lol, can't complain. the ambitiousness of the writing is in such stark contrast to what it was with 2020.

It's also interesting how 5 episodes in the show isn't about battles at all, but rather about "exorcizing" the hologram ghosts, which are in general way above the power level of the main cast. In a way I think it's great, but from a different perspective I also feel like we haven't even seen BetelGammamon really shine in battle and that his whole transformation so far was excused by the logic that the Digimon audience just loves evolutions.

I hope they develop the relationship between Jellymon and Kiyoshiro in a good way. The potential is there, but I'm afraid they might just turn into a running gag about Jellymon abusing Kiyoshiro regularly like a lot of anime do. Would be a waste.

Gammamon is turning out great. He's a bit like Guilmon in Tamers, but with the naivety of Calumon amped up to 11.

Shiningmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I loved this episode, although I must admit I got used to the idea of Pajiramon in the episode and especially of another evolution ... But hey that does not change anything that I loved it .

I fall in love with Jellymon, in addition to her little prankster side, we also have a little princess side which made me think of the original Mimi and a hacker side of Erika from Hacker's Memory (on the other hand I didn't dream at the end of the episode, she called Kiyoshiro Darling !? Me who said that the romance would be Ruli / Hiro, now we are leaving on Jellymon / Kiyoshiro .... Besides, she would not be a little Tsundere on the Jellymon edge?)

The battle was a shock because we can see that the heroes are not ready for big battles, Betel could not do anything against Coatlmon, Hiro was threatened by Bitmon and Goatmon blocked Ruli and Angoramon, if Kiyoshiro did not. hadn't made amends to Majiramon, they were screwed.

This Majiramon who shows him his almighty power, if it had been the same in Tamers, the heroes would have been exterminated ....

Thatguy3331

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Battles aside, If there's any complaint I have that's minor in this episode (as I didn't even think about it on my first watch through) but so far feel might turn into an overall issue with ghost game, is how consistent they are with what exactly a hologram ghost can do, and why being realized is even such a big deal for some digimon in the first place.

The latter we may get a more proper answer to and to be fair to the former most things did seem consistent, the hologram ghosts seem to be able to touch, hold and effect objects and items, they obviously can hack things, being digital and all, and it seems to be implied that higher level digimon can not only determine whether or not people see them, but that their powers can in fact effect people all on their own(Clockmon, Mummymon & Pumpmon). Unfortunately the idea that feels inconsistent is one of the more important ones in the holograms ability to touch people as both Mummymon (a perfect/ultimate) and Jellymon (a child/rookie) both touch people briefly while still being holograms even though episode 3 made such a big deal about it. Given how brief those moments were there is the possibility of there being an explanation for that but I'm not holding my breath for one and am ready to cut my loses and just count it as a plot hole.

Not that it's too big of a deal so far but it's the closest thing I have to a real overall gripe with the series so far and the only one that could potentially lead to being a bigger issue beyond "oh well that was odd that happened that one time, oh well."
The battle was a shock because we can see that the heroes are not ready for big battles, Betel could not do anything against Coatlmon, Hiro was threatened by Bitmon and Goatmon blocked Ruli and Angoramon, if Kiyoshiro did not. hadn't made amends to Majiramon, they were screwed.

This Majiramon who shows him his almighty power, if it had been the same in Tamers, the heroes would have been exterminated ....

The guardians weren't really trying to hurt them specifically but yeah if it were an actual enemy out for them they would have been totally screwed, the cut of Betel getting ready to scrap only for the very next shot of him to be getting restrained seemingly instantly was quite shocking haha. They have been unlucky enough to just be dealing with a bunch of ultimates/Perfects right out of the gate so I feel whenever that aspect comes around it'll wind up being with opponents on their actual level... or they could just gang up on it with a well thought out plan. That's also an option.

I do hope the show doesn't entirely drop the aspect of talking through with an enemy because one of the best things this episode did was give us a scenario where talking itself wasn't the only solution, but also affirmative action in correcting a mistake which gives me the confidence that the show will have a variety of ways for our heroes to solve the conflicts. It'll help make anytime a true battle does happen be all the more special I feel, though I can empathize with people who may be getting a little stir crazy so far lol.

Last edited:

Momentai

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't know, this episode was less convincing than the others for me. I did enjoy the relationship between Kyoshiro and Jellymon, but I expected more action from the enemy Digimon. They chose to put in the episode all those interesting Digimon but none of them really did something. Also, their motivation for being there causing all those troubles was just not enugh for me.

TheImpster

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode has me split. On the one hand, it raises a lot of questions that aren't brought up. Like how Jellymon was able to move things around and how she knew about the digivice and dim card. Seeing how it was a major plot point for the Dracmon episode and the fact that this can't simply be explained by level difference, I think this isn't a nitpick anymore, it's a genuine concern about the show's writing. I hope it's properly explained in the future.

On the other hand, I love Jellymon. She. Is. Amazing. I haven't had this much fun with a Digimon partner in a while. I also find it funny that she seemingly developed a crush on Kiyoshiro

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was interested in Jellymon, but this was way better than I expected. I love her! The relationship with Kiyoshiro seems interesting as well.

I love the fact that there is interaction between Hiro and Angoramon / Ruli and Jellymon / Kiyoshiro and Gammamon. It always bothers me when you don't see the humans interacting with other human's partner Digimon. I get that its harder when there is a wider cast of characters, but its so much fun. One of my favorite Tamers moment is when Jian follows Renamon to talk to her.

Gammanon keeps on being adorable.

Kiyoshiro returning to Japan only to have the high school experience and keep on being and Otaku is amazing. I mean, who didn't want the same chance at one point in your life?
Even his bandages are addressed!

More of this, please!

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow, Jellymon's quite the mischievious little devil. Considering that she also hacked all of Kiyoshirou's talismans, I'm kinda starting to wonder why her attribute's Data.

I find it funny how all of Majiramon's minions were Armor Digimon. They previously only had that sort of connection in the Card Game.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Majiramon leading three Digimon, whom all happened to be Armors, seemed like an intentional throwback to Hyper Colosseum.

I feel for me what makes the difference is how Majiramon was portrayed. With Tamers he did give the team trouble, but compared to the other Devas or even some other MotW he was really just an obstacle, someone Makuramon threw at the Tamers to be sacrificed while he went about his business. Here at least they tried to give him some weight by being an angered guardian, and him stomping through the city with his group of minions summoning snakes and damaging roads and buildings to punish those who stepped over his domain made him appear more impressive. It may not be a big step up in terms of the actual story, but in terms of how much of a presence they gave the character Ghost Game did more for him.
Indeed. In Tamers, it almost seems like Majiramon and the Megadramon that appears a couple episodes earlier could be completely interchangeable. That's how little Majiramon meant as a character, and it was quite possibly the least impactful and least focused of all the Devas (which is itself quite the feat when all but maybe three of them were already monsters of the week who'd get killed almost immediately after appearing).

Also there is a lot of reality check for Hiro & Gammamon's fighting strength given how wide the gap between them and Majiramon & co (they couldn't even get close to Majiramon) which is a total contrast to Adventure 2020...
Good point. This actually seems like the first time since Clockmon where they've had to try and really get serious about fighting, rather than getting in just one attack post-evolution so as to make the enemy shut up and listen to reason for a few seconds (and once again, I'm glad they're not making the Perfects who appear this early on seem like pushovers, unlike Frontier, Xros Wars, and hell, even Monzaemon in Adventure..... in fact, we actually got a group of ARMORS played up as a credible threat this time, just amazing).

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One thing that bugs me a little, is in Angoramon's debut, they make a big deal out of Angoramon not being about to interact with the real world without realizing, despite every other instance being to contrary. In this episode, Jellymon flat-out forces Kiyroshiro to realize her, despite that being something Dracmon wasn't supposed to be able to do. Unless there are more levels to realization than I... realize.

Anyway, the fact that I'm even bothering to focus on this is a testament to how dang good this series is so far!

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One thing that bugs me a little, is in Angoramon's debut, they make a big deal out of Angoramon not being about to interact with the real world without realizing, despite every other instance being to contrary. In this episode, Jellymon flat-out forces Kiyroshiro to realize her, despite that being something Dracmon wasn't supposed to be able to do. Unless there are more levels to realization than I... realize.

Anyway, the fact that I'm even bothering to focus on this is a testament to how dang good this series is so far!
I've got two guesses: Kiyoshirou's talismans had the adverse effect of making it easier for Jellymon to realize, or the dorm itself is somehow becoming more of a digitized environment due to Hiro's continual usage of his Digivice (the latter of which may also be why Jellymon was able to know about the Digivice in the first place, but hopefully we get the answer to at least that in due time).

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've finally got Kiyoshiro figured out, he's basically Zenitsu from Demon Slayer to where he's a manic wimpy dude most of the time but when he gets knocked out he goes into a trance state and suddenly becomes a badass only to forget his courage afterwards. Though his relationship with Jellymon also gives me shades of Hiro/02 from Franxx, especially when Jellymon starts calling him "darling". When the Talisman warning first came up I thought Kiyoshiro might have rigged up some kind of radar for Hologram Ghost activity but trying to digitise mystical charms was interesting and gave me SMT vibes with the whole Demon Summoning Program. Anyways, to the plot...which there wasn't much of granted, Majiramon looked cool but was basically a plot time bomb and since power levels prevented the crew from being able to fight back, everything was once again solved by Talk no Jutsu. At least the gang is all together now and hopefully the episodic episodes are coming to an end.

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was good. I liked Jellymon's introduction as haunting Kyoshiro. Good premise to have her mess with his digital talismans, causing a financial shutdown and having Majramon and minions arrive to punish him for this. His fear was a nice touch. I liked his newly found courage at the end and his bond with Jellymon which was able to stop Majramon's attack and then him apologizing.

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Jellymon is the most entertaining partner Digimon ever. Really lived up to expectations. That being said, from a lore standpoint she should totally be a Virus. She alters her environment and is sadistic and selfish. Those ain’t Data traits.

Im shocked Ganemon and his gang didn’t even appear as background characters in an episode about money.

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Rewatched it and now I have two questions in mind.

How could Jellymon touch Digivice V before being materialized?

Is the Digivice V she gives to Kiyoshiro from Hiro? If not then we might have the fourth (Villainmon?)

Thatguy3331

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Is the Digivice V she gives to Kiyoshiro from Hiro? If not then we might have the fourth (Villainmon?)

I mentioned this before but it seems like the hologram ghost are actually able to touch items (Gammamon knocks over some books before he's realized, clockmon breaks Hiro's window, Pumpmon holds a knife, etc.) Dracmon was just hasty and sloppy (even then he'd still need a dim card, wonder what the in universe explanation for those will be)

The plot hole is her grabbing Kiyoshiro's arm to put the dim card in since the holograms shouldn't be able to touch people but she and mummymon didn't get the memo I guess

Last edited:

TheImpster

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I mentioned this before but it seems like the hologram ghost are actually able to touch items (Gammamon knocks over some books before he's realized, clockmon breaks Hiro's window, Pumpmon holds a knife, etc.) Dracmon was just hasty and sloppy (even then he'd still need a dim card, wonder what the in universe explanation for those will be)

The plot hole is her grabbing Kiyoshiro's arm to put the dim card in since the holograms shouldn't be able to touch people but she and mummymon didn't get the memo I guess
Clockmon and Mummymon clearly showed that some Digimon can switch between full on ghost mode and being able partially materialize. Pumpkinmon was also implied to have mastered that skill to an extent. Still doesn't make sense that Jellymon could touch solid matter. It's directly stated that Dracmon wouldn't be able to carry the Digivice by himself.

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whoa anybody got reminded of Power Ranger's certain episode where the giant evil version of Red Ranger's mini dragon megazord was powerful threat in the whole town?

Jellymon instant like! She is like chaos Renamon combines with Impmon/Dracumon and Ranamon!

Majiramon didn't say a single word about Holy Beasts but he acted like a guardian who protects the flow of money even... in the human world which is very nice and unique! I liked those Armor ones but I wonder what they are for... Besides allying with him.

Gammamon didn't chomp on snakes huh but instead he was excited like a boy. Not even scared of snakes.

Jellymon mastered hacking..? You sure she is Data type yo? She is totally Virus type in every way!

Look like all Digimon can sense in their sixth sense when Majiramon was coming.

I knew Bitmon's ears are like knifes! Not whipping silly. Thanks for giving me Armor appearances!!

I wonder if Jellymon, Dracumon and Impmon are comrades?

Thatguy3331

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Clockmon and Mummymon clearly showed that some Digimon can switch between full on ghost mode and being able partially materialize. Pumpkinmon was also implied to have mastered that skill to an extent. Still doesn't make sense that Jellymon could touch solid matter. It's directly stated that Dracmon wouldn't be able to carry the Digivice by himself.
I think that's less of a rookie/child level problem and more a Darcumon specific problem tbh.

This is just a theory but watching the scene again I really can't get over how utterly hasty Dracumon is compared to Jellymon who was basically in total control of the whole situation. If the whole thing is a matter of the digimon having to have mastered a skill then I can buy Dracumon just not being good at it given his nature, vs Jellymon who, while chaotic, still seems to actually be smart and a stronger will.

Not that this explanation is perfect since, again, Gammamon pretty thoughtlessly knocks some books over, which leads me to think that the holograms being able to touch items is a concept for them to have in a general sense, but somebody somewhere didn't get the full information forming this inconsistency/plot hole.

Neilandio

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First bad episode of Ghost Game IMO. Jellymon came off as an unbearable brat and the episode tried too hard (and failed) to make her look cute. The pacing returned to the shit pacing that Adventure: had, jumping straight into action and comedy while completely ditching the horror atmosphere and serious build up that made the previous episodes good. The worst part though is Kiyoshiro's character arc. Any development that he may have had in regards to becoming less of a coward is negated by him still being Jellymon's little bitch. Am I supposed to believe that he can stand up to a giant dragon but he can't stand up to a little jellyfish bully? And why did none of the characters bring up the fact that she was the one that should have been punished by Majiramon, not Kiyoshiro? How comes everyone just lets her go without even an apology after almost getting Kiyoshiro killed? The only answer I can seem to find for these questions is the writers want to continue with the trope of Jellymon bullying his tamer for easy laughs so they sacrifice everything else for that sake.

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In regards to Gammamon knocking over books, he WAS hanging around with Hiro's father. Could it be possible that he was altered in some way?