Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 43, Red Eye

A preview of the episode from the end of episode 42

Episode 43 airs Sunday, September 18th, 9am in Japan.

We expect the simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, September 17th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, September 17th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, September 18th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• 1571281596837072896_FcyK0DPaAAcf20_.jpg
    1571281596837072896_FcyK0DPaAAcf20_.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 8,814

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And we start with a girl working on her computer in the dark, hacking, and she wonders if she tripped something. And then we get a wave of eyes flying into her as she freaks out.

She seems oddly pleased that she found it. Some nice art styling in the intro.

A girl asks a lot of questions from people who don't want them, and also takes a photo. Emma, she's a bit nosey. Person she is talking to on the phone hangs up on her. From the description it's Kiyoshiro. She assumes he's hiding something.

She wants to see the fancy Japanese bathroom. She finds... normalcy. The door slams shut by itself and locks her in a stall and the same black wave crashes over her as the other girl, also the door. Many eyes, and it flies into her eye, and plucks hers out. Blank face, then it gives her new eyes.

Kiyoshiro is calling Hiro and Gammamon talking about a Jinx. I think he's calling from his room across the hall. He explains he knew Emma from studying overseas. Jellymon explains she took his journal and put it on social media, embarrassing him. Kiyoshiro is worried she will find out about Digimon and reveal them.

He needs help to distract her because she wants to go around Japan. Ruli and Angoramon are apparently on the group call, but are hiding from the camera so they don't have to deal with any of this.

She wanted to see date spots, so Kiyoshiro just is taking her to a place he saw in a manga (with heavy sweater and sunglasses). She ends up getting a bit of pain, heads into a bathroom. Takes the sunglasses off and pulls the sweater up, realizing what happened wasn't a dream. She starts trying to fuck with the eyes on her arm hoping she can deal with them on her own, but it causes her pain.

Eyes, eyes, everywhere. Now they talk to her, with probably one of the best anime villain voices there is.

Kiyoshiro tries to win Jellymon a plush from a crane game. Emma pops back right then.

Emma gets the sense there is a girl often in Kiyoshiro's room and she wants to know who it is. Jellymon is off laughing to the side.

Emma assumes Kiyoshiro must have a girlfriend he writes code with. More pain for Emma on teh arm. And we also see a cop going into an apartment, also seemingly with arm pain.

More people infected by the eyes.

Jellymon and Gammamon explaining the anime they watch with Kiyoshiro to Hiro while Emma is hiding in the bathroom again trying to figure out the eyes.

She pulls out a clothing repair kit with various sharp things. No dice. Emma goes back to bothering Kiyoshiro. We get a pan out and see it is Eyesmon.

Eyesmon is after information.

Ruli sends them a text about something important. Which gets the attention of Emma.

Emma rushes over like any busybody would trying to find out if she's Kiyoshiro's girlfriend.

Ruli asks about 'red eye', something that was sent to her on social media. Emma seems very bothered by these comments. It isn't obvious yet if Ruli is fishing on purpose or not.

Ruli mentions the eyes will end up slowly peeling away and the body will crumble. Emma reacts as poorly as you'd guess and runs off again.

Ruli goes to make she she's ok and apologizes for scaring her. Asks her if she's Kiyoshiro's girlfriend. Ruli notices an eye on her. Emma tries to keep her eyes shut. They've gone all red now.

Kiyoshiro is upset she tried to hide it and let it get as bad as it did. She tries to claim she just forgot.

Angoramon says it is possible a Digimon did this, but he doesn't seem sure yet. Some of the eyes begin to grow out of her on outcroppings. And then a big shadowy Eyesmon appears, which Angoramon bashes. Angoramon knows who it is at this point.

Emma doesn't seem aware what happened. Angoramon believes some of her memory is being erased by Eyesmon. Jellymon pokes Kiyoshiro in the face to break the tension.

We see the original hacker girl pass out as Angoramon mentions he doesn't know what'll happen if they don't help her. So they try and cover all the eyes to cut off the information, and maybe make Eyesmon come out. Which it does.

Swap to a digital space by Kiyoshiro, and Tesla and Symbare very quickly rush off after Eyesmon.

The link to the Digimon means Emma is in the space also.

Eyesmon starts pulling in stuff from the real world via his information connection to try and bash everyone.

Wezen shows up to blast things away as they come flying in.

Eyesmon starts to shoot lasers out of all the eyes on Emma. They think light may work, so Canoweissmon time with a very bright light.

Eyesmon doesn't like that and the 'real' one pops out, and the first hit zaps him into scatter mode. They bash a bunch of them, then Tesla takes care of the rest.

The eyes vanish on everyone who was infected. They have the Scatter Mode who left in a tiny insect box.

Emma and Jellymon talk. Emma is disappointed that Kiyoshiro didn't have a girlfriend. The camera changes as she goes in for a kiss, Hiro covers Gammamon's eyes. It goes back to see Jellymon block it with a tentacle. Then she rants at Emma. Angoramon is puffish.

Emma gets a picture of her with Kiyoshiro and Jellymon.

Hiro's Study Files is... Eyesmon.

Overall a nice episode, with Kiyoshiro running around off the handle. Another episode where we learn more about a random character than we tend to know overall about the leads though makes it a bit odd. No real mention of what happened last time, even though there was a perfect moment to. Eyesmon was used well in general. Overall a good episode, but with a number of obvious stumbles.

Appreciated the imagery with the drink also.

Marina Inoue was Emma. She'd be best known to Digimon fans as Tagiru in Hunters. A massive VA with too many roles to know, fans may know her as: Armin in Attack on Titan, Valt and Hikaru in Beyblade, Yozora in Haganai, Tohka in Date a Live, Cure March in Pretty Cure content, Wataru in Hayate the Combat Butler, Laura Bodewig in Infinite Stratos, Kotaro in Negima, Momo in My Hero Academia, and Jericho in Seven Deadly Sins. A few dub over roles are that she's Maddie in the Sonic movies, and Jennifer Walters in the currently running She-Hulk series.

Ryusei Nakao was Eyesmon. He was Lucemon Falldown Mode & Satan Mode in Frontier. One of the great VAs, fans would known him as Freeza, Cooler, & Tambourine in Dragon Ball, Mayuri in Bleach, Tanji in Haikyu, Caesar & Dr. Indigo in One Piece, Baikinman in Anpanman, among many other roles. A few dub over roles of his are Batty in Fern Gully, Bullwinkle in the Rocky & Bullwinkle movie, Buster Bunny in Tiny Toons, Darkwing Duck, Heathcliff, Jon in Garfield and Friends, Jose in The Three Caballeros, Raphael in the original Ninja Turtles movie, Robin in Muppet Christmas Carol, Yakko in Animaniacs.

Vongola_zero

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
pretty so and so episode
the kiss scene at the end give me a laugh tho

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't remember we have other human characters with red eyes in previous episodes. So assuming there's no one, this episode looks well planed from the beginning of the start of the series. Or, they are just lucky.

Hiro has green eyes, that's normal color. Kiyoshiro has blue eyes, that's also normal. Although these colors are not that normal in Japan. But it's in the 7G era so everything could happen in the future, right. Genetic things and everything related to it.
Also, Ruli's purple eyes could be contact lenses, she is a social media star and it's common thing.

This episode makes me want to share my thoughts about the eye colors (especially the well planned red eyes theme episode, if my assumption above is true that no one has red eyes before this episode) because back in the day, when Adventure aired, the production team really planned it very carefully with eye colors. Only Yamato and Takeru have different eye colors (blue) among the kids. They're also the only two with blonde hairs. Then in Adventure 02, we knew that they are 1/4 European and suddenly everything makes sense.

Brubarb

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's something going on with red eh? Last episode, red was the winner. This episode, it's red eyes. Next episode is red rust. Will it be plot related at all?

digifan313

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A new character that's the children's age and found about digimon. Will something come out of this? Probably not knowing how the series goes so far.

Overall a pretty good episode, but why does anything that resembles additional information for the characters are mostly for Kiyoshiro.

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode is fine but I think the battles are always so short and not well animated.
Also Thetismon and lamortmon have been sidelined for so long.
I would love them to fight as ultimates with a great animation for once.
Nevertheless, I loved the last scene between jellymon and kyoshiro

TheImpster

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That scene where the computer girl seemingly dies with a thud creeped the shit out of me, along with the scene where Eyesmon removes Emma's eyes.

Thankfully everything was alright in the end

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Emma seriously is perfect for Jellymon's human partner.

That female hacker still haven't learnt the lesson? If that is the same one who trapped Morphomon?

Kiiro

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The body horror in this episode was something else... I'm glad "the eyes will peel" meant that they would literally peel like stickers, otherwise I wouldn't be able to look ahaha
Not much came out of this one in regards to the plot or Gulus, but I expected as much since they didn't really follow it up back when he appeared in the Archnemon episode either.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
An interesting episode. I was curious if Emma's past with Kiyoshiro would explain his whole "limit break" schtick but that was probably me being influenced by Yugioh Sevens with Taiga publishing Luke's embarrassing self-insert OC manga to the world creating "The Lukeman" persona. That said, I was surprised it didn't make an appearance at all during the climax since this seemed at first to be an episode focusing on their relationship. As with Adventure:, I was initially confused if this was meant to be Shademon or Eyesmon at first. Personally, I would have cut back on the constant flashes to Eyesmon's other victims as it wasn't strictly necessary since it didn't feature in the climax and it took away potential screentime from Emma. Speaking of, she was an entertaining enough COTD who I wouldn't mind coming back, and given Espimon's lack of Partner that certainly could be one way to do it since she's aware of Digimon now. Although maybe just cut down on the love triangle between Kiyo/Jellymon since its one thing to call him "darling" affectionately but Jellymon's possessiveness and Emma thinking she might have been Kiyo's girlfriend was a little bit much for me.

digifan313

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That female hacker still haven't learnt the lesson? If that is the same one who trapped Morphomon?
I had this thought too and did a quick check but seems it's a different person. The one with morphomon looked older.

Santaskid

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've got a question... is it Stop 11, or 11 Stop?
I know its a 7 11 parody so Stop 11?
Its totally random i know. But I've enjoyed the various company names that have popped up... Dejitter still makes me smile. Of course I loved Burger Jack in 2020, and of course in the same vein as the various drinks in Persona games like 1UP, and Dr.Salt.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well that was creepy but hey, at least Emma was fun. ...So that's two people that could be more CCs. I almost want her to show up again.

Mon-Ohma

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
AMERICAN-LASER-BEAMS.png

Monster Disco is here! It's here!

---------------------------------------------------------------

A serious case of red eye is going around, and as a result the price of Optrex has gone up.

Professional Nosey Parker, Emma 'Devil' Hanes (not LadyDevimon operating under an alias unfortunately), a foreign acquaintance of Kiyoshiro has suddenly decided to invite herself over, because he clearly hasn't been meeting his monthly humiliation quota.
And barely has she even stepped of the plane before receiving a traditional Japanese welcome in the restroom.
It's another one of those straightforward plots with no particular twists (the Government once again seemingly taking no notice of a widely documented event), where the body horror is basically used to pad out much of the first half.
At the very least it benefits from having a fun guest character closely linked to one of the core trio to give it some personal stakes.
Plus it also has Wezen in it, so it gets bonus points just for that.

Eyesmon is as effectively unsettling as you'd expect Ghost Game to make with such a concept, and Ryusei Nakeo's distinctive voice is always welcome.
Though it was always going to be a long shot, having a black optic themed Digimon merge with a human would certainly have been the perfect setup for a surprise appearance by a certain corrupted Spirit of Darkness. Oh well. 🤷‍♂️

And now Kiyoshiro has the beginnings of a harem. He's taken one more step up the great Weeb ladder.

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On Thursday 6 October, after two weeks and four days, I finished watching the episode. I think this episode was good. Emma was an interesting and fun character being nosey, someone who wanted to know other people's secrets. Her personality resulted in her being possessed by Eyesmon when she went to the bathroom. That was a good premise. I loved how Kyoshiro tried to hide the Digimon from her. Emma somehow sensed there was a girl in Kyoshiro's room and assumed it was a girlfriend while Jellymon laughed. I loved the times the eyes showed up on Emma. I loved how Kyoshiro was determined to save Emma. The fight between Eyesmon, on one hand, and BetelGammamon, Thetismon and Lamortmon, on the other ahnd
was good. I loved how Canoweissmom defeated Eyesmon.
With Eyesmon defeated, the eyes on everyone disappear. Eyesmon turns small and is locked in a box.
I loved how Emma tried to kiss Kyoshiro but Jellymon stopped her saying Kyoshiro was hers. Maybe Kiyoshiro and Emma will end up together eventually.
I have one question:
How do you think Emma sensed there was a girl in Kyoshiro's room?