Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 42, Human Hunter

A preview of the episode from the end of episode 41

Episode 42 airs Sunday, September 11th, 9am in Japan.

We expect the simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, September 10th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, September 10th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, September 11th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• 00article.jpg
    00article.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 8,763

Eitaroutarouman

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, which 'mon was that at the end? The shading made it too hard to make out.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We start with spirits chasing a woman. And dead end.

Clinking noises as they get closer from around a corner. Silence. The woman calms down.

And it pops up in front of her demanding to be shown red. And she gets tabbed for her confusion.

Over to the gang. Kiyoshiro is already trying to escape before they investigate an oni that took someone.

And Espimon returns from his trip to find the real Hiro commenting he has heard of this story. Kiyoshiro really wants to leave.

And they go off on Airdramon to help.

They meet up with the girl who talks about her sister going missing. They go looking around at night, following the path they think the sister mmay have taken.

The spirits find Kiyoshiro and Hiro the direction they went. Hiro doesn't seem convinced.

More asking for red. Hiro and Gammamon figure out quickly it's a Digimon, and don't really get what he's saying. It likes Hiro's jacket though, but leaves to harass Kiyoshiro. Gammamon gets knocked down protecting him. Kiyoshiro shows it Hiros' jacket, and it's happy. And it stabs Hiro.

Gammmamon is displeased, Kiyoshiro passes out. It takes Hiro. Gammamon answers Hiro's phone when Ruli calls and says he's going after them.

Another of the Oboromon finds Ruli and Miori. Angoramon comments they don't know much about Oboromon. It demands blue. Tries to stab them. Angoramon blocks the blade as best he can.

Portal opens behind Hiro showing a lot of people merged together in a red portal space. Off Hiro goes into it, and connected to the last person in the chain.

As people go up the chain they appear to be becoming flattened. Ruli is running. And more Oboromon who want yellow and black.

Jellymon floating around commenting this area isn't good for business, right as a pseudo space is activated by Ruli.

Jelly electrocutes Hiro awake to his limit break.

Angoramon punches one of the Oboromon in the face, more show up. They start to argue amongst themselves. Kiyoshiro calls her and explains the color stuff.

Ruli starts to deal with color stuff to make them go away. She has nothing blue though. So Symbare.

Oboromon hits Symbare quite hard, Ruli gets stabbed and carried off. She drops the field/space so they can track her GPS.

Gammamon comes across a geren Oboromon, not realizing it isn't the one they found before.

Ruli gets tossed into the blue space.

The Oboromon decide Gammamon won't count for their game, but might be entertainment otherwise.

Symabre shows up where Tesla and Kiyoshiro are hiding. The Oboromon pull out their human chains to find out who will be the king.

Red won, he starts to combine all 5 chains of people into one, his new scarf. Seemingly gaining much power.

Gammamon is freaking out. Symbare pulls him down from where he was jabbed, but his face is angry.

Gammamon starst to rush at them to get back Hiro, they knock everyone down, and Gammamon gets back up while yelling and angry. Slammed down again by Red.

Gammamon looks up a growl and as he screams he rushes forward and his eyes have gone a bit wide, knocked down again.

The music hanges, he looks up screaming with his eyes black. Evolves into Gulus with a nice sequence.

Everyone else is quite worried. Gulus is laughing. Red is skewered and dies as he comments he is king, how could he lose? Everyone is returned to normal who was part of his scarf.

Hiro notices Gulus. The other Oboromon want to know who he is? He begins to eat energy from blue, taking them out one by one while eating their color energy, largely before they can even decide to do anything.

No more Oboromon. Hiro yells for Gulus to stop.

Gulus comments that he should try and sync before ordering him around. Gulus comments he shouldn't be caught by these losers. But Hiro made a step forward. He says seeya later bro, as Gulus turns back into a sleeping Gammamon.

The Oboromon are hiding to the side, not dead (different ones I guess?_, they comment on the 'jet black champion' that they had been told about previously.

BlackGrowmon watches from the distance.

Hiro's Study files is... Oboromon.

The episode overall was pretty standard until the Gulus stuff at the end, which wasn't that functionally different than Gulus stuff before. We get a whiff of Oboromon, and other Digimon, knowing 'something' about Gulus, but the 20 episodes inbetween last time we saw him without much being added here makes Gulus' return fun in visuals, style, and action, but lacking substance. But it's a rare time Ghost Game shows anything that might be taken as moving forward, so it at least adds a little bit.

Volcano Ota was Red Oboromon. Well known to Digimon fans as being effectively in charge of the Digimon brand for many years before leaving for his dream of being a voice actor, he has a long history of voices in Digimon including various versions of Volcamon in Frontier, Hacker's Memory, Adventure:, and more, an announcer in AppliMonsters, Xanwumon in Survive, many characters in Adventure: including Brachiomon, Andormon, Nihoggmon, Golemon, Millenniumon, Deathmon, & more, plus Moosemon earlier in Ghost Game.

Kozo Shioya was Blue Oboromon. Another returning Digimon VA, fans woudl best know him as Olegmon in Xros Wars & Adventure, plus TonosamaGeckomon, in Adventure:. He also has a super wide selection of popular roles including... Majin Buu in Dragon Ball, various roles in most versions of Kitaro, a number of roles in One Piece including Whitebeard Jr & Genzou. In dubbed over roles he's Bulk in dubbed over Power Rangers, Newman in Seinfeld, & Paul Blart.

Michihiro Ikemizu was Black Oboromon. He was previously Mimi's grandfather in Adventure:. His wide range of anime roles is from Isao Ohta in Patlabor, to Tessai in Samurai 7, Onsen-Mark in Urusei Yatsura, and a number of characters in Japanese Transformers content including Sixshot, Springer, and more.

Yasunori Masutani played Yellow Oboromon. Masutani has a long history with Digimon, playing Etemon in Adventure, Adventure:, Cyber Sleuth, Next Order, & New Century, Mercuremon in Frontier, and Yatagaramon and RareRaremon earlier in Ghost Game.

Toru Nakane played Green Oboromon. He was previously an executive in Ghost Game. In Naruto he was Ishikawa and Hagoromo Otsutsuki.

Mai Aizawa was Miori. It's her first Digimon role, but she's been in quite a bit. From Ayano in Lucky Star, to Natsumi in Negima, she shows up in a lot.

Ami Matsushima was Misaki. She's been a number of roles in Ghost Game including Yukidarumon.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Subtitlers challenging themselves to see how many different Japanese words they can translate as "champion." Best = champion, tyrant = champion, and there was one other in this episode, though that might have actually meant champion, given the context.

So, which 'mon was that at the end? The shading made it too hard to make out.

As the above poster said, it was BlackGrowmon.

Ragnalord

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gulusgammamon taking on 5 perfects, his one of those special case digimons, won't know for sure until he goes against a mega.

Oborromon were amazing

Geode

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gulusgammamon taking on 5 perfects, his one of those special case digimons, won't know for sure until he goes against a mega.

Oborromon were amazing
Ever imagine if Gulusgammamon fought Machinedramon.

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gulus is really something else. It was expected when Gammamon tried hard to fight Oboromon, but when Gulus showed up, he put smile to my face. Hype-mon really.

BlackAgumon, BlackGalgomon, now BlackGrowmon. I wonder if Gulus is the commander of them all or they are just fans of Gulus so wherever Gulus is, they come to see. I hope it's not the latter because they better be big deals.

digifan313

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Almost forgot that a black variant always shows up whenever Gulus does, wonder if they just happen to be there or there's a group that's keeping tabs on Gammamon

Gulus being cryptic as usual, but he talks about 'not attempting to sync with him' does he just want more effort from Hiro or Gulus is regarded as a separate digimon from Gammamon and thus need to redo another connection with him?
If it's the latter, does that mean the 'partner' here isn't as definite as previous series but dependent on the bracelet's holder attempt to do so with the digimon? This would kinda explain about the time Hiro and Ruli able to command Jellymon and of course Ryudamon a while back.

An amusing tidbit at the digimon corner is Kiyo saying he's cancelling all overseas trip for presentation. I mean, we know how often he does this kind of thing, but I wonder just how famous he is outside of the settings we're given.

Dynamicmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Every GulusGammamon episode is starting to feel like a copy-paste to me.
Someone gets hurt > GulusGammamon > Kills enemy > Calmed down by Hiro > Black Digimon watching
i mean were it that simple, we'd've gotten gulus more often. Gulus seems to trigger like a self defense system in gamma when he's in mortal danger, as we got flashes of gulus's power in both clockmon episodes and in the myotismon right before betel evolved to cano. In this case it was Gamma's determination to get Hiro back nearly getting him killed, leading to Gulus taking over to preserve himself

TheImpster

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Every GulusGammamon episode is starting to feel like a copy-paste to me.
Someone gets hurt > GulusGammamon > Kills enemy > Calmed down by Hiro > Black Digimon watching
i mean were it that simple, we'd've gotten gulus more often. Gulus seems to trigger like a self defense system in gamma when he's in mortal danger, as we got flashes of gulus's power in both clockmon episodes and in the myotismon right before betel evolved to cano. In this case it was Gamma's determination to get Hiro back nearly getting him killed, leading to Gulus taking over to preserve himself
Extreme emotions seem to also be a possible trigger, like when Bokomon died, and in this episode it seemed to be more Gammamon's anger that triggered it

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The first Gulus appearance is brutal. The second is calmer. The third one is "cooperative" with Hiro.
That's some character development I say.

Gulus has to kill the enemy to show us that he is Gulus, at least at this point of the story. And the group of black digimon watching is something worth revealing in the future.

Eitaroutarouman

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So how literal is Gulus eating color supposed to be taken? Because considering his evolution animation, I think that has implications. It might even explain the black Digimon that we've seen so far. There has to be a reason they're only showing black variants and not just Digimon that are black by default.

TheImpster

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So how literal is Gulus eating color supposed to be taken? Because considering his evolution animation, I think that has implications. It might even explain the black Digimon that we've seen so far. There has to be a reason they're only showing black variants and not just Digimon that are black by default.
And he's called the "jet-black Digimon" which must mean there's something about his darkness that's different

robiu013

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So how long till they give us CannoSchwarzmon? They can't just stop the line at Champion, can they?

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"Jet-Black" reminds me of BlackWarGreymon's title.

So how long till they give us CannoSchwarzmon? They can't just stop the line at Champion, can they?
The embodiment of black hole dragon.

Dathanatus

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They really went all in for GulusGammamon's animation. Who also keep up his tradition of killing Digimon based on what they themself do. Impaled through the torso, like those guys were doing for their little game.

This would have been a massacre, but only the King died. Gulus can be reasonable but this felt more personal than his other apparitions. Even as Gulus he still loves his Aniki. He seemed almost fond when he told Hiro to not get caught by "those losers" anymore.

Dang those kids really got it hard today. Hiro Ruli and Gammamon all got impaled, it hurts just as much as you'd expect. Hiro and Ruli are turned into a scarf which also looked very painful, and Gammamon got front seat for it. Gammamon looked genuinely terrifying in the moments just before the evolution. That is the face you'd see as a jumpscare. Poor kids .

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm...the episode starts out normal enough (if a little formulaic) with the interesting addition of newcomer Oboromon. Unfortunately it starts to go a bit downhill with the kids getting a case of situational stupidity as not only do they pointlessly split up, but it takes Higacchi going Limit Break for them to figure out Oboromon's obession with colours...means just that, colours. Similarly, they don't exactly try hard to fight back as Angoramon's the only one who Digivolves initially and none of them even try to go to the Perfect stage. Things do pick up when Gulus makes his unexpected return and his power his so great it causes the animation budget to skyrocket. Sadly the "fight" was over as quickly as it started as Gulus slaughters the Oboromon without effort and says something cryptic once again before leaving...with yet another Black Digimon conveniently watching from the shadows.

Given the conspicuous lack of Partners going Perfect against an enemy of the same level and the long overdue reappearance of Gulus in over 20 episodes, I can't help but wonder if this episode was meant to air earlier but got switched around for some reason. :unsure:

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I didn't expect this silly hunt of Oboromon but it turned out it was really horror game as you witness how humans got hunted and tied up like the monkey pieces to line up in the certain game (I forgot what was it called) to see which is the longest line...

Yay GulusGammamon but not yay for not evolving to Canoweissmon.

BlackGrowmon? Eh, and four Oboromon survived or was it different four ones who didn't join the hunt game?

I guess GuluGammamon absorbed the color of Oboromon's data must be GulusGammamon's judgement related skill I guess?