Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 41, Clown

A preview of the episode from the end of episode 40

Episode 41 airs Sunday, September 4th, 9am in Japan.

We expect the simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, September 3rd, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, September 3rd, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, September 4th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• 00article.jpg
    00article.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 8,776

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Showing us Piemon 5 seconds is nice enough to not hide it. And Lynxmon.

And the kid turns into a playing card.

It's a circus that just appears based on what people say.

And we see Hiro and Ruli and the others there. And someone watching notices the 'odd' members in the audience. The leader seems unconcerned.

Ruli's friends are very excited. No Kiyoshiro. He had other business. In a flashback Jellymon is upset. Espimon is just sitting there and looks funny. Espimon leaves to find the real Hiro.

Ruli grabs a QC code promo and the one giving it away seems bothered by this, seemingly due to her having a Digimon. She scans the QR code when she gets home. A circus just for her. The phone turns off and scary face creature (more goofy) flashes on the screen, and her window unlocks. And it's FlaWizarmon and Tobucatmon.

Opossummon was the one who gave the card, in disguise, and they are there to get Ruli. A card starts to talk to them saying Ruli isn't useful, but Angoramon may be, and a box nabs him.

Various kids are there, and Angoramon. And the old man from before claims they all came willingly, Angoramon included.

The old man is revealed as Mephismon. Makes kids walk the tightrope from the beginning of the episode, with disguised Piemon telling him to walk, or he gets eaten.

The other Digimon take off their disguises.

The kid slips, and digitizes into a playing card. Piemon is upset, he already has that card.

Interestingly, Angoramon can't see through Piemon's disguise, Piemon seems 'slightly' disappointed he can't. He's pleased Angoramon knows who he is once the disguise is off though.

Angoramon is very worried at the reveal of such a powerful and well known Digimon.

The others are rushing there thanks to Airdramon.

More kids, cards Piemon already has. Piemon's deck of grief.

A girl makes it across. Piemon compliments her bravery. Knocks her off and she becomes a new card.

And another falls and becomes a card.

Angoramon is upset Piemon is doing this, saying it isn't the digital world. Piemon things Angoramon, a silent Angoramon, would make a nice mascot for the circus.

The curtain raises and we get a tiny bunny Angoramon.

Piemon notices the uninvited guests watching.

And here's Betel. Piemon stops his helpers from attacking. Seeing the evolution seems to have inspired him to want to interact with them.

Piemon wants to know why they want to save weak people.

Hiro comments there may be strong people there, Piemon hasn't faced a human. Piemon accepts such a challenge, playing a card game with a human. He lets his helpers known that if they defeat Betel, they can join the game with him, something they all want a lot.

Ruli volunteers, telling Hiro to help Betel. Piemon snaps and the card table appears.

Very basic card game. Just flipping over cards for the higher number. No jokers included in the deck.

Ruli shuffles and cuts the deck. Piemon offers her to pick her cards at random first. Ruli has only just now realized the cards are people. Piemon notes it was hard work finding a full set.

Ruli raises the wager, Piemon agrees, but he is raising it also. We jump back to Betel fighting.

First round of 6, Piemon wins. He attacks Betel as the raise. His helps will also get hurt if Ruli wins a round.
Betel says not to worry about them. Second round, Ruli wins. A sword through FlaWizarmon, and Betel is about to knock him down easily.
Ruli wins 3rd round, Lynxmon is quickly knocked down. Piemon is excited over the life and death to the card game.
Round 4- Piemon wins, Betel has two hits down, Lynxmon is still up and attacking.
Last Round... Piemon pulls a King. Only an ace wins. Piemon begins to brag. Ruli flips her card and it is an ace.

Piemon is about as shocked as can be and begins to laugh. Lynxmon gets hit again. The swords vanish from Betel, Angoramon is turned back to normal.

Piemon thanks Ruli for the match and accepts his loss. Mephismon does not. Symbare time, and then to Lamortmon.

Lamortmon says Ruli won fairly and he begins to strike Mephismon. Piemon turns Mephismon into a card and apologizes for the unprofessionalism of his associate. He turns everyone back and sends them home.

Piemon says it was an amazing game, he looks forward to next time. Although after saying he'd like to do it again, he apologies to Ruli, afterall, she is stronger than him. Hiro recommends he buys cards next time.

He bows and says goodbye and they all vanish. Angoramon pontificates, Ruli is confused, it was a thank you.

Hiro's Study Files this time is... Piemon.

This one was interesting in that the first chunk it was quite slow and didn't do much of anything honestly. It worked best towards the climax, especially Piemon sticking to his word, which often villains in media try and skip out of so we get that final fight. The final fight itself was quite abridged. The episode would have been more interesting if it doesn't feel like another time where Ghost Game just doesn't do much, although it wasn't a bad one... except the setup from last time with Espimon showing that Ghost Game falls flat with no ambition to do anything, at any time, even when it set something up.

Kazuhiro Yamaji was Piemon. He was previously the Professor in Digimon Survive. A VA with many roles, so a small selection: Hit in Dragon Ball media, Cid in various FF7 media, Gildo in One Piece, Silver Fang in One Punch Man. He's also dubbed over a number of western media including Bane in Dark Knight Rises, Darth Maul in Star Wars, Deckard Shaw in Hobbs & Shaw, Wolverine in the live action films, Michael Corleone in The Godfather, Norman Osborn in various Spider-man Media, the 9th Doctor in Doctor Who, Tony Montana in Scarface, among many many more.

Jiro Saito is Mephismon in his first Digimon role. Another popular VA, he's Theo in Attack on Titan, various roles at different times in Transformers including SHockwave, Soundwave, Megatron, and Convoy.

Ryoko Shiraishi returns once again as Opossummon! She was previously Oppossumon in Hunters & later in Adventure:. On top of that, her wide range of Digimon roles includes Akari, & Mervamon in Xros Wars, Sora in Adventure, the player character in Re:Digitize, & Yukiha in Survive, among others. Her wide range of anime roles include Takamina in AKB00048, Free De La Hoya in the Beyblade franchise, Rina in Fafner, Frankenstein in the 2018 version of Kitaro, Hayate in Hayate the Combat Butler, Kaeda in Negima, & just an endless list of roles. In dubbed over roles in Japan the big one would be Jimmy Neutron,

Takayuki Kondo was FlaWizarmon in his first Digimon role. Another actor with tons of roles. He was Poppo in Anohana, Goki in Aria the Scarlet Ammo, Goh in Godannar, Kantaroth in Medabots, Suichiro is Prince of Tennis, Eita in Shakugan no Shana, along with being well known as Phoenix Wright in the games and audio dramas in Japan.

Kokoro Kikuchi was Tobucatmon! A long list of Digimon roles including Kokuwamon X in X-Evo, Chika in Savers, Sparrowmon, Pickmon, Monimon, and more in Xros Wars, Gatchmon in Appmon, and Cupimon in Adventure: she also has a long list of non Digimon roles including Saradua Uchiha in Boruto, Potpourri in Heartcatch Pretty Cure, among others.

Taro Yamaguchi played Lynxmon. He was Elephamon earlier in Ghost Game. He's been Borma in various Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex content, Kagemaru in Godannar, Renji in Hansaku Iroha, Geld in That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, among others.

denniserlangga

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
i think this was the least bad Piemon we could see

Dynamicmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
i think this was the least bad Piemon we could see
save for V-Tamer
though if we are counting all media representations, there's also the one from the cyber sleuth games who just wanted a job

Amandil7

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Piedmon was terrifying especially towards the climax but then in usual Ghost Game fashion everyone laughs about it towards the end while calling it a day.

AppliFang

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
lol Anyone else surprised Piedmon kept his word?
Thought it was gonna be like the IT (esp since we saw him that way in the OP)

Imagine him showing up just to play normal playing cards with Ruli here and there haha

*I really thought he was gonna do a tame the beast with Angoramon but guess not xD

Eitaroutarouman

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Odd. I clicked on Digimon Ghost Game, but I seem to have been presented with Yu-Gi-Oh! season 0 instead. Or in this case, it'd be Yu-Gi-Jooh!, Queen of Games?

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I thought he was gonna turn Angoramon to a keychain. The small rabbit is cute though. It fits the theme of the episode as well. A rabbit in a magic circus show.

Wolfry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a fascinating episode. The Angoramon rabbit was too cute to make me feel bad and the addition of Tobucatmon (my favorite underrated Adult-level) is a good bonus. The whole cabal of seemingly evil Digimon (even Mephismon!) being not so bad in the end was interesting too.

The ending wasn't anticlimatic, the game of high-stakes High-Low gave a bit of suspense and Piemon and Crew accepted their losses at the end- and Piemon even wanted to play again with fairer terms. Clearly one of the more solid episodes.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
lol Anyone else surprised Piedmon kept his word?
Piedmon here is clearly not a traditional villain, he just ascribes to the philosophy of might makes right: That those who are proverbially "stronger" than others in some way are thus in the right.

Our heroes on the other fall into the category of using might for right: Those who have power should use that power to do good things because they're good things.

I think it’s why the heroes have had such a low collective body count: They treat killing as an absolute last resort when all other options are exhausted.

Based on his tone, Piedmon was intrigued by Ruli willingly facing him in a card game and seems to have his own code of ethics with sportsmanship being a seemingly big one hence his grace in defeat.

Shiningmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We had to expect a Deus Ex Machima because we release an Ultimate when the group barely has Perfects as max level (for the moment), it was sure that the group would lose if they had to fight normally.

I think it's the first Piedmon of the license to be an honorable opponent compared to its other versions which are deceitful and dishonest and also Ruli has just entered the legend (for me: best digigirl ever), she has us only was up against two of Adventure's iconic foes (Vamdemon and Piedmon) but she also managed to beat Piedmon at his own game, a game that wasn't rigged (and knowing Piedmon, it should have been) just based on luck.

digifan313

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well it goes about as expected out of ghost game (and the fact that its an ultimate level digimon), but the one thing I always hate with this kind of card game is that outside of outright cheating there's not really much to do beside picking one with gusto all the while they keep dragging it on with how bad failure gonna be XD

With this episode though I guess we should start expecting more Ultimate level coming out of wood works, wonder how long before we get our own (and when will we see Gulus again. God I sure hope they won't let Gammamon turn last level without resolving that.)

robiu013

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
lol, Ruli just used the heart of the cards.

love how Piedmon just packed up and left. He could have killed everybody in that room, but rules are rules, I guess.

Hopefully we will slowly start moving into mega territory with the main characters too.

Kiiro

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's a cool episode, but I really didn't see that Yu-Gi-Oh shadow game action coming ahaha
I also didn't expect to see Mephistomon and Piemon in the same episode, it was such a treat, though the fight scene was rushed as it does sometimes.

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whoa this episode is the whole best animation ep!

I was really pleased to see Piemon rather than Jokermon! And to think Piemon being not battle crazy digimon which is such lucky for the main characters to survive. Piemon in Adventure is way dangerous while this Piemon in Ghost Game favors all thrills in Life or Death games even staying true to his words for the strongest vs weak, eh?

I didn't expect certain things:

Piemon and everything about him like favoring games over the usual digimon battles and Magic Tricks is still scary as usual from Adventure!
Mephismon
FlaWizarmon riding... Tobucatmon.
Opposumon and Lynxmon... Kindness and Courage digiegg for Tailmon. How funny...
Oh also Lamortmon vs Mephismon! Didn't expect Lamortmon to say Ruli won fairly. So much less berserker but still yay for more appearances of Lamortmon!

Weirdly this episode is totally Phelesmon yet there was no mention or signs of Phelesmon.

I can understand Mephismon is there because of some of his appearances resembles the joker but I fail to understand why FlaWizarmon exists there while Opposumon and Lynxmon sorta shares the circus thingies. FlaWizarmon is totally magic character maybe I guess it must be part of "magic trick"?

Roberto zampari

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While Piemon's Original Adventure is portrayed as a genocidal maniac, this version of Piemon is a noble dark jester that keeps his promises.
Why Piemon's victims become cards instead of keychains? Too dark for kids or unfitting for the plot?

Geode

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Mephismon and Opussumon, This makes two Digimon from Adventure 2020 return in Ghost Game.

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why Piemon's victims become cards instead of keychains? Too dark for kids or unfitting for the plot?
I think it's the latter. That's why Angoramon became rabbit too. The theme of the plot fit for cards and rabbit instead of keychain. It also showcased things Piemon can do with his magic.

I don't think "too dark" is the reason because in ExTyranomon episode, the digimon turned human into dolls. A similar case to what Piemon did in Adventure.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm...very mixed feelings on this one. I don't know if it was the pacing or the editing but those first ten minutes felt extremely choppy. Them continuing on with Espimon's "real Hiro" thing is making me doubt now whether its just a gag or not now. As much as I enjoy a good fight, I actually felt Gammamon doing a gauntlet of Piedmon's minions was getting in the way of the card game which seemed a refreshing change of pace, to have a human defeat a Digimon. Although t'was a tad foolish of Hiro to suggest it without thinking it through, the fact that they were using Piedmon's magic deck means he could have easily cheated and they were saved by him truly being a fair-play villain. I must say I was surprised by them having Ruli win through the heart of the cards, I was half expecting Higacchi to show back up and use his integer overload thingy to memorize where all the cards were or something. As a side note, I really loved seeing some uncommon faces in this episode - Tobucatmon was a real treat since I always loved him, one wonders if the recent super success of Top Gun Maverick was a factor in his appearance.