Digimon Ghost Game: Episode 4- The Doll's Manor

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 4, The Doll's Manor

An extended version of the episode preview from the end of episode 3.

Episode 4 airs Sunday, October 31st, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, October 30th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, October 30th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, October 31st, 2:30am in the UK (Clocks go back to GMT, this could mean it may be up at 3.30am for this week as usual. CR doesn't always 'change over' on time)

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• ep4preview09_october30_2021.jpg
    ep4preview09_october30_2021.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 6,978
Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Starting off with lots of decorations, and pumpkins.

All the little pumpkin dolls with a voice saying trick or treat works well.

Classic horror film imagery of a body being dragged.

Gammamon's priority is free candy, as you would expect.

And bopped into the pseudo-digital world. After Hiro apparently has been told how the Digivice works by Ruli?

And things broken in the digital world equivalent are fine in the real world. Feelsx like that's setup for something.

Hiro has been adopted as a heloper by Ruli. Angoramon and Gammamon are accepted as being random things standing there rather easily, even compared to episode 2.

So Hiro is sort of just Shinji, doing whatever he's told because it's easier than making his own decisions. lol

That robot maid helper thing keeps missing people getting dragged.

And Hiro really has tried doing nothing with the watch has he? The counselor asking if he's actually a hologram is the smartest anyone has been. Although nice that they follow up on it by Angoramon being the one who realized how the Digivice worked... so Gammamon, just sort of... ignored it.

Mr. Angora is just a wealth of information. So here they are originated from an old computer virus. And the evolution method skews close to Xros Wars. Digimon evolve naturally, slowly, over time into new forms, with 'actual' evolution being functionally unheard of.

Another horror movie thing! Seeing something creepy and wrong, and just... following it.

The scariest thing of all... dropping an expensive smartphone face first.

Pumpmon pseudo using Cosmo was some nice imagery.

Hiro clearly needs a parent to teach him good decision making.

And seeing the various pumpkin things be revealed as Digimon wearing costume I liked.

The big pumpkin just slamming into the wall was a good use of the gag, could have been visually done even better though by giving some focus to it.

And we get the moment where the pseudo-digital world can be used. They can battle there without doing damage to stuff. Angoramon also seems to confirm, or at least suggest, that this area isn't quite the digital world, just 'like' it. So more digiquartz than expected?

Digimon Analyzer! Nice to get that back mid episode. It's been awhile.

And the crux of the plot is, Pumpmon is lonely and wants friends, who look like him.

And there is a better use of the pumpkin...

Pumpmon learns his lesson and gets friends.

The animation felt a bit nicer in this one.

Not sure how I feel about the evo scene & short song usage this time. It feels like they're sort of shoved in.

Also a good example that the show is going to stick to what you would expect. Mock horror for kids with lots of spoopyness.

The show is also falling into the patterns you'd expect, so we'll see when it begins to break those.

Yasuhiro Takato played Pumpmon. Long history with Digimon where he's been Elecmon in Adventure, tri., & Adventure:, the Vademon in Adventure:, not to mention various other roles from Tamers, Frontier, Xros Wars, and Appmon.

PCN24454

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode mostly highlights why I don't think Digimon can pull off "horror" for too long. It's hard to have horror with competent protagonists.

I really liked this episode despite how predictable it was.

I found it funny how Angoramon differentiated normal Digivolution (the one found in V-Pets and Digimon World) from the type that was found in the anime.

It's really weird how the Digital World is just an overlay of the real world.

I actually love that they don't just kill every Digimon they see.

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The slow burn is starting to get to me. I'm so used to evolutions debuting shortly after each other, but it's starting to look like we might not Symbare until ep 6 at the earliest given the next ep preview. The shortness of Betel's two fights isn't helping.

GoldenEXP

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since Angoramon said the grass dimension "Looks" like the digital world, I wonder if its something like an inbetween?
Otherwise, fine episode. I was gonna say it was VERY good, but the resolution drags it down a bit...
Its building up to something though, I hope it gets there! A slow burn is fine if the destination is good.

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Makes me wish Nozomi had been saved/adapted into this show as a supporting character.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And the evolution method skews close to Xros Wars. Digimon evolve naturally, slowly, over time into new forms, with 'actual' evolution being functionally unheard of.
To be fair as was discussed not too long ago in another thread, that's been implied since at least Adventure.

That was why Homeostasis recruited the Digidestined in the first place after watching Tai and Kari help Botamon Digivolve to Greymon in only a few hours according to the Adventure novel and why a bunch of Digimon harassed Rika to be their partner before she chose Renamon.

Ironically despite Xros Wars not using Levels to represent growth/age, Tactimon vs OmegaShoutmon is arguably the most notable example of natural Digivolution vs human-induced Digivolution thanks to the Field Guide/Reference Book giving Digimon species that were introduced in Xros Wars Levels and thus implying that the former is one of the few wild Digimon to naturally reach Level VI while the latter is a Digimon going from Level III to Level V thanks to Taiki and Omegamon.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And the evolution method skews close to Xros Wars. Digimon evolve naturally, slowly, over time into new forms, with 'actual' evolution being functionally unheard of.
To be fair as was discussed not too long ago in another thread, that's been implied since at least Adventure.

That was why Homeostasis recruited the Digidestined in the first place after watching Tai and Kari help Botamon Digivolve to Greymon in only a few hours according to the Adventure novel and why a bunch of Digimon harassed Rika to be their partner before she chose Renamon.

Ironically despite Xros Wars not using Levels to represent growth/age, Tactimon vs OmegaShoutmon is arguably the most notable example of natural Digivolution vs human-induced Digivolution thanks to the Field Guide/Reference Book giving Digimon species that were introduced in Xros Wars Levels and thus implying that the former is one of the few wild Digimon to naturally reach Level VI while the latter is a Digimon going from Level III to Level V thanks to Taiki and Omegamon.

I mean yes, my entire point was this has been done before, and is best known from Xros Wars.

And of course, in Adventure it was 'known' enough that other Digimon knew of it, regardless of the point of it.

Here, Angoramon is specifically framed as someone very knowledgeable about the world and Digimon, and has no idea what they are talking about.

AppliFang

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
lol Anyone else thought the kidnapping/knife wielding Pumpmon made it even cute?! xD

Nice the Candle and Ekakimon in there!

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I mean yes, my entire point was this has been done before, and is best known from Xros Wars.

And of course, in Adventure it was 'known' enough that other Digimon knew of it, regardless of the point of it.

Here, Angoramon is specifically framed as someone very knowledgeable about the world and Digimon, and has no idea what they are talking about.
To be fair in Adventure at least, humans helping Digimon Digivolve was framed as being part of a prophecy that Leomon had heard about but had no reason to believe in until meeting the Digidestined personally.

It's possible that Digimon in Ghost Game have no equivalent prophecy hence why the otherwise knowledgeable Angoramon is unfamiliar with the idea of human-induced Digivolution. It'd fit with the theme of the characters learning that pervaded across this episode, with Hiro and Ruli both learning about shifting Digimon to hologram form and about the nexus between the human and Digital worlds.

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like how this series is almost a parody of horror cliches, but playing them honestly. I actually did wince when Pumpmon stabbed the pumpkin with Hiro inside.

The episode seemed overall inconsequential, but we do get to a bit more info on how the rules work in this universe.

I was hoping this would be more of a focus on Ruri, so we could get more insight on her character, she still seems rather generic imo, Kiyoshiro has more personality than she does, and he wasnt even in this episode!

TheImpster

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not as good as episodes 2 and 3, but still definitely enjoyable. I love everything with Pumpkinmon in it, and I appreciate the added world building here, as well as the budding friendship between Ruri and Hiro

Amandil7

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Of all the episodes so far this one genuinely made me wince! Fun stuff, but I hope we get longer fights and different resolutions for villains in the future otherwise this will get old fast.

robiu013

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The slow burn is starting to get to me. I'm so used to evolutions debuting shortly after each other, but it's starting to look like we might not Symbare until ep 6 at the earliest given the next ep preview. The shortness of Betel's two fights isn't helping.

I'd say it's better that way. I temporarily lost interest in 2020 at some point when I was behind, because I knew it would just be several episodes in a row following the same tired formula: Boss monster appears -> one of the kid's Digimon evolves into a form we already know was going to happen. The mega evolution transformations felt completely trivial to me in 2020.

Besides, in my opinion the episodes so far always delivered something that helped the world building of the show in more substantial ways than just slapping a new form on one of the Digimon. This episode showed more functionalities of the Vital Bracelet/Digivice which will come into play in later episodes and helped establish a bit of a dynamic between Hiro and Ruli.

Shiningmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I thought the episode was awesome, but are we talking about the years of therapy Pumpmon inflicted on his victims? (And also, given the terror he inflicted, some should have pissed on themselves ... But hey that's not the point.)

Ruli's friends number increased in this episode (more supporting character for the series)

On the other hand Hiro was not cool to use Ruli as bait (he could have used Gammamon or Angoramon or himself in a last measure so why used Ruli ?)

No new evolution, I was really hoping for Symbare (I want to see his artwork !!!)

And so in episode 4, we have the equivalent of Digi-quartz or the digital space of Appmon which finally shows the tip of its nose .... I think we will soon have our firsts victims among the digimons.

Last edited:

Prodigious

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The art style is very pleasing to the eye
I love how they’re dropping lore/explanations in drips and drabs
So what happens in the digital world/quartz doesn’t affect the real world. Hiro figured that out naturally. It wasn’t contrived

the horror is actually very good. It went full on slasher this week. No chance in hell the west will adapt this episode

pumpkinmon ? More like michaelmyersmon

Momentai

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I did really enjoy the episode. I liked that Pumpmon didn't really materialize in the end, but it was just real in the "digital dimension". Some things are still unclear, though, like the interaction between Digimon and other objects/people in the real world. I'm starting to think that higher level Digimon have access to more actions, but we'll see. I hope it's not just a random thing that will remain unexplained.
I don't know how many scenes will be censored in a possible future english version of the series.

Ryudamon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So Hiro goes to a doctor and Gammamon farts.

I love the episode. It shows that Halloween is celebrated not only in the west, but there in Japan too. Pumpkinmon is the best they could even done for the holiday.

Dathanatus

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One day folks. One day Hiro will learn to not do everything people want if they ask him nicely. I wonder if that's going to play some part later. Twice now have people remarked on it and twice has he responded with "it's easier this way". I wonder how he got this mindset and if it has to do with his virtually absent parents.

Gammamon is a menace, a cute menace but a menace all the same. Why did he even trash that room? Why did neither Hiro or the adult in the room even try to stop him? Who knows?

As expected the episode ends up with Talk no jutsu. Angoramon hasn't even evolved no way they're deleting an ultimate.

I love how Hiro is shaping up to be the damsel in distress in every episode. In three episode he got mummified, mind controled and then pumpkined.

Last edited:

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hoh, a holidays episode actually taking place on said holiday, how very timely. Hiro reminds me a lot of my parents in that he is *not* curious about technology - if I had a Digivice I would be pressing every button combination to see what it was capable of. We got a lot of exposition this episode, so the grassy knoll isn't the Digital World but something like it akin to DigiQuartz and it's useful for forcing Digimon battles as there are no humans about and whatnot. I know that Hiro's father said he was fine, but I would have pressed Angoramon a bit harder on the Digital World and possible ways in or out if he was in the slightest danger. On to the threat of the episode and this is a real weird one as GG really seems conflicted on whether to commit to the horror theme or not as the first half was total slasher vibes with the bodies being dragged away but the second half became very silly with getting chased around by floating pumpkins and getting water sprayed at you by Ekakimon. Speaking of, I felt that really undermined Pumpkinmon by giving him a bunch of allies since his whole reason for being evil was that he was all alone. The fight scene with BetelGammamon was once again disappointingly short.

Anyways, next week is Kiyoshiro and Jellymon's introduction and I am curious to see how that one plays out.