Digimon Ghost Game: Episode 39- Contagion Island

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Bit of a weird episode. Opposite issue of last week, which had a great setup but a bit of a rushed payoff, this one felt like it was missing some sort of background. Doesn't help that the enemy was a brand new Digimon (which is normally cool, but in this case felt like it lacked historical context needed to make it properly threatening). And Ryudamon appears for all of two seconds before turning into Gyukimon (how?), so he didn't get much of a chance at characterization, like Espimon.

But, it was nice to see Hiro's general laissez-faire attitude actually cause a problem for once, and the solution is novel (and one would think a setup for Ryudamon coming back in the future). And Gyukimon's power is kinda cool, a twisted take on the Sukamon concept. So not a complete wash.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well that was kind of creepy. But hey, Ryudamon! Nice to see them here. ...Can I ask if we know what the Mon is for next week? Do we usually know? I saw Espimon.

Mon-Ohma

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I-WILL-CALL-HIM-GEORGE.png

"Say, Hiro. Is this one of those 'Pocket Monsters'
we're contractually obliged not to mention?"

--------------------------------------------------------

Well they certainly didn't waste time cutting to the chase this week. And Ghost Game is still managing to find new ways to unsettle the audience.

I'm going by the presumption that Ryudamon was possibly infected (via some delayed or dormant strain?) by a Gyukimon whilst still in the Digital World. Otherwise the alternative implication here is that he subconsciously triggered some kind of self dark-evolution out of paranoia.
Which coincidentally seems to tie into what is discussed in this episode in regards to how some Digimon can regress to previous forms simply by remembering them.
We have seen previously that the kids are capable of influencing each other Partners via the Bracelet, so its perfectly plausible this function could extend to other Digimon as well. With Gammamon seemingly gaining the ability to interact with another's conscience as a side-effect.

The fact that we now have Airdramon on hand as a convenient method of fast transport is a welcome one, since it means certain cast members don't necessarily have to be left out if they're not in the vicinity.

Although it was nice seeing Hiro having to take responsibility over an error born out of his own well meant intentions, given that the actual choice came down to limiting a potential epidemic to one small sparsely populated island rather than simply buggering off and leaving GyuRyu alone and unsupervised in a densely populated city, it could be argued that he actually made the right call in the long run. Since there's no guarantee Bakumon might have made it back in time before things went completely south, leaving only Ruri and Angoramon available to deal with a potentially much larger problem. It's an interesting dilemma.

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It took me a week to reply, but after 5 days on previous Friday 26 August, I watched the entire episode. I think this episode was very good. I liked the premise of Ryukamon turning into Gyukimon and seeking help from Hiro and Gammamon. Hiro took him on their school trip. However, he escaped from his bag. During the night, he resisted the urge to bite Hiro and left the room but bit a girl turning her knto a creature like him. Gyukimon became larger with each bite. The fight and Bakumon's intervention was good. Hiro recognized his responsibility for bringing Gyukimon with him without consulting Bakumon. With the DigiVice, they were able to make Gyukimon remember he was Ryukamon and return to normal.
I have two questions:
1. Why did Hiro's father send Ryukamon to the Real World?
2. Why did Ryukamon turn into Gyukimon?

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think he was bit so that might be why he got sent. To get help.