Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 37, Herd of the Dead

A preview of the episode from the end of episode 36

Episode 37 airs Sunday, August 7th, 9am in Japan.

We expect the simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, August 6th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, August 6th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, August 6th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• 00article.jpg
    00article.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 3,724

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Starting with a truck dumping trash, where it shouldn't be. And not for the first time.

Goop spreading along, and bodies start to climb out of the ground covered in it.

And Gammamon playing in a field as the others wait for a train. Which only comes every 2 hours.

Everyone is going to visit Kiyoshiro, because he demanded special donuts.

Ruli is lazy. Telling Angoramon to carry her so she doesn't have to walk to the inn.

After they leave someone pops by with a truck and asks if Hiro and Gammamon wants a ride. The driver tells Hiro about vanishing pets.

Zombies wander around and come upon some boars, and get to eating, well... infecting actually.

Ruli arrives at the inn, people are chasing down chickens. Berserk chickens. Someone probably hit them with a sword or a pot.

Kiyoshiro looks dead where he is. The donuts give him life.

Gammamon: Donuts are Kiyoshiro's champions?

Kiyoshiro is slightly depressed, they aren't fresh donuts (the trip of course.)

Kiyoshiro forgot about an upcoming school trip. As a proper anime fan he's upset. He wants to be in a pillow fight with his friends.

Jellymon has been wandering off to plan to build a Digimon resort. But she notes it stinks, as we see various infected animals.

Jellymon begins to yell at the zombies for screwing up her plans. She leaves when the stench is too much.

Zombies at the inn. Zombies biting people, infecting them, goop going into ears.

Symbare, to fight zombies.

They're arguing if they are zombies or not, so to be careful who gets hurt. Jellymon isn't pleased with any of this.

Townspeople help tie up the zombies and throw them in a storage room. The kids and Digimon follow the zombies.

Truck still dumping trash. Zombies showing up. The guys fall in the trash pile and something below helps their way down.

Gammamon asking Ruli to explain zombies.

Symabre points out she likes zombie movies, so knows a lot. Ruli kicks a zombie.

Betel evolution to help fight the zombies.

Thing under the trash pile just ate some chicken.

RareRremon scumming around, zombies following it, spouting gas.

Ruli and Jellymon really aren't happy about this at all.

Kiyoshiro hears a hit behind him and sees zombies against the glass. We get a nice scream from him, and then it moves on.

Hiro turns on the digital space to save the townspeople, which doesn't help Kiyoshiro. In fact, he slips on the desert sand from the space.

Jellymon arrives to help him. But of course, many zombies.

Tesla time. They run off while she breaks part of a bridge so the zombies can't follow.

They turn around to find RareRaremon heading there way.

Kiyoshiro is upset that it's a Digimon causing problems yet again.

RareRaremon snacked on the zombies as he looks more and more food. Now he's heading after the actual 'not dead' people who were zombied, so they need to stop him, since they would be in the digital space also, as the zombifying is just RareRaremon.

RareRaremon is upset. He was brought ot the human world against his will, in pieces, and the trash carried him piece by piece to where he is. He's trying to find the rest of his body.

RareRaremon is actually already dead, he is a zombie. It's his body just rushing around doing what it can not being fully aware. All they can do is destroy what's left to force it to become a digitama so it can live again. Bokomon flashback. Betel comments it's for the sake of RareRaremon.

Kiyoshiro gives a rousing work together speech.

Canoweissmon, Thetismon, Lamortmon all at once with First Riders playing.

Thetismon purifies the gas, Lamortmon slashes at Lamortmon which does damage and keeps RareRaremon busy and opens his mouth. Canoweissmon goes after a gas can it ate and has been stuck in it's mouth. Boom.

And with it gone, all the living zombies turn back to normal. RareRaremon burns back to a digitama.

RaraRaremon went on a journey according to Gammamon, as they all watch the remnants burn.

Hiro's Study Files covers... RareRaremon as you'd expect.

A decent episode, a bit oddly slow and start/stop. More than a few solid moments overall, but it feels like it didn't quite click.

Yasunori Masutani played RareRaremon. Masutani has a long history with Digimon, playing Etemon in Adventure, Adventure:, Cyber Sleuth, Next Order, & New Century, Mercuremon in Frontier, and Yatagaramon earlier in Ghost Game.

Brubarb

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I actually really liked this episode. I thought it was the most interesting episode since Arukenimon.

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like how Ghost Game uses some digimon and upgrades them in terms of power/tech. That's a very possible possibility of Digimon.

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Did I just witnessed a kid got zombie'd among the crowds? And two dumping workers... Got eaten and gone. Poor pets... Hell, this Ghost Game even included the pets!

I was expecting Raremon but I'm pleased to see RareRaremon again! Because I only saw few zombies did have Raremon tubes.

I was surprised RareRaremon could speak but only had limited words. Oh boy that poison mist looked so dangerous.

RareRaremon's slime goo manipulating corpses to move was such genius move and I really didn't expect RareRaremon knows how to move the zombies despite having... Uhhh Zero intelligent?

I guess Lamortmon will not have more character developments to solve his rage or berserker causes in the future episodes after said Protect Ruli Protect everybody and didn't go on the rampage against other two Perfect ones.
I think I will find it very acceptable oh well. Who cares?

Brodul

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man I was wishing like Gulus appears and helps them to kill Rareraremon then he's out

Kiiro

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a good episode. Hiro and the others finally accepted sometimes they have no choice but to kill Digimon, and the flashbacks to Bokomon and Digitamamon added to the tone of the episode. It's also the first time we see all three Perfects fighting together, and Kiyo taking the lead in the fight without a limit break was cool following up to Thetismon's debut episode.
I hope this means we see Hiro reason with GulusGammamon soon.

Roberto zampari

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Do you think that RareRaremon episode from Ghost Game was better than the Adventure Reboot episode?

Compared this episode to the Archnemon and Digitamamon episodes, this one was REALLY DARKER.
Also, this is the second episode that the Main Characters' Digimons (Not counting GulusGammamon) kills the monster of week.

No doubt that Ghost Game surprassed Tamers, how darker it became...

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm...this was an episode that sounded good on paper, but was lacking in execution. The zombies didn't feel particularly threatening and trying to make me feel bad for RareRaremon fell flat because we never saw him not being mindless and trying to eat people. I guess Lamortmon won't have a running plot of being in danger of losing control like I had hoped sadly. Also I suppose those two dumpster dudes are just dead then? Kinda jarring when people normally miraculously survive Digimon attacks and this time nobody even noticed them gone so what was the point in killing them?

Hopefully next episode will be better given who turns up in it.

Wolfry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man, this episode was really unsettling and a bit sad. So glad to see them work together as a team, even if it's in order to put RareRaremon down.

Wonder what impact Hiro and Gammamon gaining the will to kill as a last resort will have on GulusGammamon.

Eitaroutarouman

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm...this was an episode that sounded good on paper, but was lacking in execution. The zombies didn't feel particularly threatening and trying to make me feel bad for RareRaremon fell flat because we never saw him not being mindless and trying to eat people. I guess Lamortmon won't have a running plot of being in danger of losing control like I had hoped sadly. Also I suppose those two dumpster dudes are just dead then? Kinda jarring when people normally miraculously survive Digimon attacks and this time nobody even noticed them gone so what was the point in killing them?

Hopefully next episode will be better given who turns up in it.
Karma. Everything in this ep was entirely their fault and they paid for it with their lives. It's a common horror trope. As for Lamortmon, there'd be zero reason for it to be brought up here. They outright stated it couldn't be killed by normal means, so Lamortmon going berserk wouldn't do anything but waste time.

digifan313

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Super science center in the middle of nowhere. Got a laugh out of Kiyo not getting fresh donut and a reminder that he's back in Japan simply because he wants to live the anime high school life. (Which he got I suppose... just a different genre)

A bit hit and miss but overall I love seeing the three perfect fighting together for the first time.
Also like to hear Gammamon's comment that Rareraremon also went on a journey since I think that means he actually got an understanding on what happened to Bokomon.

Also I suppose those two dumpster dudes are just dead then? Kinda jarring when people normally miraculously survive Digimon attacks and this time nobody even noticed them gone so what was the point in killing them?
Uhhh Cherrymon, Arukenimon, and Digitamamon unambiguously ate their victim and they're dead dead (Well cherrymon's bit ambiguous I suppose). There's been plenty human death in this show by now. And yeah, they're just there to show 'Hey, this is the cause of Rareraremon's appearance here.'

Quinnzel

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Super science center in the middle of nowhere.
A data center in the middle of a lake is a bit funny, but you actually do see this sometimes in reality if the environmental conditions favor the purpose of the facility. Observatories are a good example being commonly remote for better clear/dark sky access. If you want to kill an hour or two, look up the Svalbard Global Seed Vault. The glowing visuals of the building featured in this episode reminded me a little of that place.