Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 36, Labyrinth of Grief

A preview of the episode from the end of episode 35

Episode 36 airs Sunday, July 31st, 9am in Japan.

We expect the simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, July 30th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, July 30th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, July 31st, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• 00article.jpg
    00article.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 14,227

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nice shot of Lamortmon and Ruli added to the intro, and a really nice new end screen for the intro. A few other changes during it I think, but those are the main ones I noticed.

Man sleeping in his car... and a building implodes straight down. A man is screaming in an office. And he sees bodies that appear to be statutes, or clumps of rust?

The building goes back up from nothing.

Kiyoshiro is worried because everyone is in gear. And more people arrive to look at the cave. Someone is using dowsing with a crystal. It appears random people who look up oddities like Ruli does.

Hiro explains, people she knows from a forum for random stuff. More people show up.

Kiyoshiro is trying to escape. They leave without him, and he freaks out that he's alone, so runs after them.

The dowser says Kiyoshiro has a negative aura after he falls. Gammamon feels bad vibes.

Cave in, no way out. People begin to freak out, no cell service also.

As with any 'stuck in a location' story, one person begins to freak out yelling at the expert.

Air is flowing in from somewhere, possibly an extra.

The guy videoing everything points out something Gammamon isn't a hologram ghost... or is it?

Gammamon declared he is.

Voices keep being heard, and paranoid gets grabbed by a hand Frontier fans will know.

And someone splits off to see where the other guy went. Finds tracks and a phone.

And he's grabbed by what appears to be sand. The others go back and find a sand wall.

Hiro decides it's time for everyone to leave.

Dowsing girl says they are cursed and begins to do the creepy 'who will be next' shtick. She finds a bunch of office stuff.

Hiro guides everyone, trying to feel where light wind is coming from.

Dowsing girl runs off on her own, chasing an ominous aura to find what happened, Piyochin chases after her. Sand wall appears to separate them from the group.

And one after the other, grabbed by Gigasmon and dragged into the ceiling sand.

Kiyoshiro gets grabbed into a sand bit and Jellymon jumps after him.

She's a bit too amused at all of this. Gammamon tries to leave them, and evolves into Betel to help, as also here is Symbare, as they can move quicker and get through problems.

And here is Tesla to defend Kiyoshiro.

And Symbare tries to defend Ruli against the hands.

Tesla calls for help from Hiro, and we see Kiyoshiro get dragged through the sand.

They find... stone tiles, and possibly an exit.

Nope, glowing moss all over stones and teh walls of a large cavern.

With frozen bodies all over the place, also covered in the moss.

Tesla comments they almost look real. Then they find Ruli and Symbare. Kiyoshiro is screaming.

Tesla is going to zap Gigas, but gets knocked down by one punch.

Gigas seems upset at them coming to a 'holy' place. Tesla knows him, comments Gigasmons are always insufferable when they pop-up. They're confused why it's crying though.

It says it's sad. It's sad that humans can't turn into Digitama. It claims to be making an offering of everyone.

It tries to grab the rest but off they run.

Gigasmon says he respects their bravery in fighting against him.

Hiro isn't sure how they should fight it, since it keeps diving in the sand. Right as it appears behind him.

Betel does a diving tackle to move him out of the way. Gigasmon can hear their footsteps, which is how he finds them.

Canoweissmon time.

Tesla is holding Hiro over the ground while Canoweissmon fights. Cano comments on 'this evolution' (seemingly alluding to the imperfectness that's come up before.)

And Canoweissmon tries to Dragonia him, but Gigasmon hits back, although gets launched hard after a moment.

Canoweissmon's evolution breaks back to Betel. Hiro comments there is definitely 'some' type of limit to Canoweissmon.

Hiro asks Gigasmon to turn everyone back. Gigasmon is sad. He saw various things on TV about humanity dying soon due to the environment going nuts, global warning, etc. (It appears it was actually a movie trailer.) He thought he was kindly making graves before everyone died, and putting them in the same place so they wouldn't be lonely.

The place begins to crack and Hiro asks Gigasmon to save them all, but his sadness means he's not sure it's worth it. Gigasmon is inspired by Hiro, Betel, and Tesla trying anyways and fills in the cracks so nothing will shatter. Commenting that they still have hope.

Gigasmon says he will close the cave later, everyone thanks him. He didn't know there were humans. Gigasmon leaves to go find more hope. Angoramon puffs. Kiyoshiro says he was a statute, he wouldn't laugh.

Hiro's Study Files covers... Gigasmon! They joke about the doom prophecy from 1999 that inspired part of Digimon Adventure, commenting more doom prophecies are coming soon.

Another episode that feels like it gets the mood right, which adds a decent bit, but the episode at large is another standard episode. Although it feels a better watch due to the mood (although that wildly changes at the end.)

Ken Uo was Gigasmon in his first Digimon appearance. A lot of smaller roles, but was also Tohru's grandfather in the reboot of Fruits Basket, and Karin in Dragon Ball. He's also known as the Japanese dub voice of Cyborg in the Teen Titans Cartoon.

Ryosuke Kanemoto was Kazu. He was previously the scientist in an earlier Ghost Game. He's probably best known as Seiji in Happiness Charge Pretty Cute.

Yasuhiko Kazawa was Iizuka. He was Shellmon back in the original Digimon Adventure, and the high class Bakomon in Hunters. Fans might known him as Corin in Turn A Gundam

Rina Kawaguchi played Niko. She previously played Ruli's friend Moe and Potemon in Ghost Game.

Haruka Terui played Piyochin. She was previously Nijima in Ghost Game. She's known for Yu Hattori in Aikatsu, Yuki Yuna in the Yuki Yuna is a hero franchise, and was Kobeni in Engaged to the Unidentified.

AppliFang

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A deserved episode for Gigasmon lol xD
He only got like a little flashback in the Adventure reboot haha

Wolfry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, that was an episode. Really good animation but gets silly near the end. Gigasmon sinking into the ground at the end got a chuckle out of me at least.

Roberto zampari

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Do you think that Ghost Game Gigasmon was better than the Frontier?

Digimon Xros Wars used AncientVolcamon.
Digimon Adventure Reboot used Kalmaramon and Strabimon.

Also, Sephirotmon appeared in Xros Wars and Adventure Reboot.
Remember when the Ten Legendary Warriors are important in Frontier?
Now they are reducted to secondary characters or minor villains in future seasons.

Last edited:

Eitaroutarouman

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, because Frontier is over. They aren't obligated to use Legendary Warrior lore if it's not relevant to the story.

digifan313

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
New opening! Gulus is no longer a shadow, hope that means something will move it forward soon. Though I doubt it's next episode.

Once again limit is brought up for Cano, but nothing was ever said about Thetismon, think it's just Cano? Gulus maybe?
And was hoping Hiro get to command TeslaJellymon, but guess not. Really wonder if that's gonna be just a one time thing back then.

Gigasmon! It was pretty effective enemy and menacing then his motivation is revealed and it's all uhhhhh. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to laugh or sympathize with the situation lol

Do you think that Ghost Game Gigasmon was better than the Frontier?

Digimon Xros Wars used AncientVolcamon.
Digimon Adventure Reboot used Kalmaramon and Strabimon.

Also, Sephirotmon appeared in Xros Wars and Adventure Reboot.
Remember when the Ten Legendary Warriors are important in Frontier?
Now they are reducted to secondary characters or minor villains in future seasons.
I honestly completely forgot about those appearance and thought that this is the first time we got a Legendary Warrior appearance outside of Frontier lol

Kiiro

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First of all, the opening is fully updated! I was hoping they'd change the last shot with GulusGammamon's shadow and surprisingly, they did! It looks really nice.
As for the episode, it was a well rounded and the mood was very consistent until the very end. I didn't expect to like Gigasmon this much, him feeling empathy for the humans and doing something for them (from his perspective anyway) was a nice, refreshing contrast to the Frontier's Gigasmon. (Which isn't bad in any way, I just like the same type of digimon having different personalities across different series.)

Once again we get the limit reminder, and it's a very close call this time. It was mentioned thrice so far and only when Canoweissmon appears, so at this point I think this is something related to Gulus, or if I'm wrong and it's for everyone then probably a Digivice VV upgrade is underway.
From a storytelling perspective though, this seems like it was simply invented to force Canoweissmon out of battle so that Gulus can appear again. They could have just saved Canoweissmon for last and went with Thetismon first, but I need to see the full picture before commenting further as this is all speculation.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That was certainly an episode indeed. Nothing offensive but nothing to really grip me since once again its just trouble caused as a result of a Digimon misunderstanding something about the human world. It was nice to see Gigasmon again, even if I greatly prefer his Human counterpart Grottemon instead. The fact that the Time Limit is for Canoweissmon only definitely seems like its got something to do with the Gulus plot-line still being unresolved - which speaking of, the fact that Gulus is now unshadowed in the OP makes me hope that they're going to address him sooner rather than later.

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow Gigasmon turned out as he is really nice guy... Like Petaldramon in Adventure 2020! But he completely misunderstood LMAO after watched the movie that led him to believe the doom apocalypse on human extinction genre movie and instantly rushed off to save humans by... Turning the entire human race into the stone statues as the gravestones... Without the warning was really horror move.

This episode gave me Jojo's Bizzare Adventure vibes because of his earth manipulation power as the "Earth" Legendary Spirit Warrior.

And Gigasmon's hand gesture at the ending was epic as he slowly sink away into the ground!

Remember how Earth Spirit Warrior was voted so low at the previous poll? Now this episode made me really like Gigasmon's personality and he got MY VOTE in the next future poll!!

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gigasmon finally gets his episode after only being a cameo in Adventure:.

This episode is really celebrating Frontier's anniversary in a very good way. Not only because of Gigasmon, but also the "F" Logo from Frontier can be seen in BetelGammamon's Sorshot.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
...Really? Ha ha ha. So it was a misunderstanding. Still creepy up until the end. ...Doomsday predictions never happen. & They are pretty stupid. Nice to see Gigasmon though.

Mon-Ohma

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
KITCHENWARE-AND-FOOD-GOING-DOWN.png

In the News this week, Japan attempts to boost
efficiency by doing away with elevators.

-------------------------------------------------

For what is for all purposes fairly standard Ghost Game fare, this subterranean story is raised to a degree by the sum of its parts.

Despite what brief screen time they have and role they are obviously meant to serve, our four guest-fodder characters just manage to be memorable enough individually that it makes their inevitable abductions suitably tense. Whilst the claustrophobic setting of the caves only adds to the creeping terror that can come from any direction and possesses full control of the environment.

Eventually, what's left of the team finally make it into the titular 'Labyrinth of Grief', just in time to observe Kiyoshiro experiencing an entirely new form of petrification.
Turns out Gigasmon is one of those people who mistook 'The Day After Tomorrow" for a documentary, and so took it upon himself to cut the middle man out.
There's some amusing irony in having Frontier's Spirit of Earth buying into an end of the world scenario, though I'm not going to read too deeply into it.
His abilities however do make for one of Ghost Game's more entertaining fight sequences, if it only serves to remind us that the Canoweiss time limit is still a plot-point still waiting to be addressed.

After getting thrashed by a Dragon for the second time in his career, it ultimately only takes a little of Hiro's trademark pep-talk to uplift Gigasmon's Beast Spirit, and humanity gets the chance to live and make more mistakes!
Certainly this is one Mon-of-the-week I wouldn't mind seeing pop up again in a future episode. And throw in pendulum girl for good measure.

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After a week and three days, I finished watching the episode on Wednesday 10 August. I think this episode was good albeit not as much as the previous one. The opening has been updated with Lamortmon and GulusGammamon no longer a shadow Another good opening scene with a building falling into the ground/imploding, a man screaming and seeing statues and the building then going back up. The gang arrives to visit a cave. Funny how Kyoshiro didn't want to enter the cave but as the others did, he freaked out and followed them not wanting to be alone. Gigasmon was a good opponent. I liked his motive being misunderstanding humans dealing with climate change. He felt humans had no hope and needed a grave. The fight was good as was the perfect Canoweissmom evolution. I liked jow they prevented the place from cracking making Gigasmon realize humans have hope which led him to restore everyone to normal.
The ending was funny with Gigasmon sinking to the ground.
One question:
Does the mention of the Apocalypse prophecies in 1999, 2030, 2040 and 2060 mean Ghost Game takes places after 2060?

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Does the mention of the Apocalypse prophecies in 1999, 2030, 2040 and 2060 mean Ghost Game takes places after 2060
I think it takes place in 2040s.

We're now in 5G era. About ten years ago, it's 4G. About ten years later it could be 6G.
Ghost Game has 7G so it would fit to happen in 2040s.