Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 35, Werewolf

A preview of the episode from the end of episode 34

Episode 35 airs Sunday, July 24th, 9am in Japan.

We expect the simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, July 23rd, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, July 23rd, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, July 24th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• 00article.jpg
    00article.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 12,137

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We begin with, someone running in the forest in the rain, and something gets them. And we switch to a phone call about it, and the person being taken to the hospital.
An old lady talks about this being the 100th year, time for a curse.

The kids arrive in the town and are being stared at by the people. The old woman recognizes Ruli because her eyes match her grandmas.

Apparently some incidents lately that people are blaming on AI Holograms, werewolf!

Angoramon enjoys the wind in the truck bed. Kiyoshiro is freaking out as he realizes this won't be a relaxing vacation due to attacks.

The art of the kids feels a bit off, but with a bit more life to it. They are meeting the guy attacked by the werewolf, and he has a handprint on him. Begging Ruli for help because 'that's why she came there'.

We start getting told the old story of the werewolf's wrath.

Looks like Ruli is a sacrifice as the 'moon maiden'. Ruli's family ruled that area years ago, so it's her job. A family member was sacrificed 100 years ago.

Ruli has no idea what's being talked about.

We got the WAH WAH WAH WAH horror riff that Ghost Game has been missing up through now.

A power box got ripped apart. A bear everyone says. Camera shows how large the bear had to be to make those marks. The workers are attacked and have those marks all over them. And so the legend continues.

They're apparently blaming Ruli's aunt, since she isn't a blood family member, and they're upset Ruli isn't being offered up.

Angoramon asks about werewolves. Noting that if it's as old as everyone says, it can't be a Digimon.

Jellymon is sneaking around and taking photos of the scene. This seems oddly helpful for her.

Kiyoshiro playing the role of WE NEED TO GET OUT OF THIS TOWN RIGHT NOW! And even Hiro agrees that something is going on and it might be better to leave.

Ruli refuses. She doesn't like the idea of leaving because of a supposed curse or superstition, feels like losing somehow.

Ruli spots something in the trees. Seeing something that happened in the past maybe, in the same location.

Ruli volunteers to be the sacrifice.

All the old people who were pissy she wasn't seem to have flipped to this being wrong, and immediately right back to sacrifice the girl. That scene felt weird.

Ruli is pretending to be sacrificed and the others are in the procession. Kiyoshiro is being the oddly reasonable one here.

Gammamon just isn't even appearing in hologram mode at all in this, no one seems to notice.

Angoramon isn't angry Ruli is doing this, but he finds it reckless. They don't think there is a werewolf, but something is out there.

Old lady is bringing her because she's worried Ruli will run away.

We get a howl in the night. Trees fall. Ruli doesn't seem so sure anymore.

How you doing Manticoremon, you look hungry.

Angoramon is confused why one is there, it should be with an angel Digimon.

It attacks the old woman, then whacks Gammamon and grabs Ruli and off it goes.

And the chase begins.

Angoramon jumps in and evolves to Symbare. And in comes Betel and Tesla without an evo sequence. Betel gets jabbed with poison.

In comes Thetismon evolution to heal the poison, but gets whacked

Some energetic animation here.

Thetismon gets poison jabbed. Now that she's jabbed she can heal it easier, works on herself, as Symbare attacks and then gets slammed into the forest. Everyone is down.

Ruli isn't happy at any of this and does a polite little rant about how it isn't a werewolf, they won't leave, etc.

Symbare gets back up, and time for Lamortmon.

New animation sequence looks nice. Maybe my favorite of the 3 perfects.

He's much bigger and pushing back against Manticoremon while commenting he will protect Ruli.

Gets in some good slashes, as Darcmon arrives. She's been looking for Manticoremon. Lamortmon backs off and goes back to Angoramon.

Thetismon cures Betel, and can cure those in town also. Darcmon comments that Manticoremon ate data regarding the local legend, which forced it into believing it was the werewolf of legend. Darcmon fixes the data and apologizes. After Ruli comments, Darcmon promises this won't happen again.

They muse on what the werewolf in the legend might have actually been. Angoramon is puffish. They see the old woman as they leave.

Ruli flashes back to the old woman telling her the 'real' story of the werewolf. It protected people, and fell in love. And people wouldn't allow that, the love died. And the werewolf cried in grief, which became the rain.

Ruli hears a howl as they leave. Nothing but the wind.

Study Files this time is Manticoremon. It brings up that part of it's setup is eating data, which goes back to the plot of the episode.

Overall I liked the episode, but it feels like it became a bit disjointed as it got near the end. Feels like not enough time, and they just hit the point of needing to end it. Lamortmon has a minimal role, and it feels like not enough after the wait, although I really liked the sequence itself. The few story twists at the end were a nice touch, but things feel like they didn't fully click this time, although it was an enjoyable episode overall.

I would say, this is the first time it feels like it used cliche horror imagery in a way that worked, and felt like it meshed.

Hiroko Emori was Sachi. She was previously Hackmon/Jesmon in Cyber Sleuth. A lont list of roles, she's likely best known as Chaozu in Dragon Ball, among other characters.

Mitsuki Saiga was Darcmon. She previously played Hiroya in Hunters. Continuing a run of episodes with actosr who have roles that never end, she's been Yelena in Attack on Titan, Makoto in Genshiken, Rossiu in Gurren Lagann, Tsukasa in .hack, and tons more, including Link in a few Zelda games.

Masaya Takatsuka was Manticoremon. He was previously Magnamon in Cyber Sleuth, Manbomon in Adventure:, and Unimon, Saberdramon, and Sanglopmon earlier in Ghost Game. His long list of credits includes Tatsuya in World Trigger, Gin in Prince of Tennis, plus Gedatsu, Johnny, and (many) more in One Piece.

Fumie Mizusawa was Sakura. This is her first time in Digimon, btu she has many roles from Chihiro in Battle Spirits Heroes, to Lucifer in the Duel Masters franchise, to Cure Marine in Pretty Cure, Gidget & Linck in Eureka Seven, and Sakurako in World Trigger

TheImpster

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pretty neat episode. Not as good as the Thetismon episode, but definitely better than the CanoWeissmon episode. Definitely didn't expect Manticoremon to be the culprit. Also, there's various things I really appreciate about Lamormon now that I didn't at first. For example, his name has a double meaning. First is "la mort" as in death, second is "l'amour" as in love. As in a Digimon that will brutalize anyone who hurts their loved ones. This is further accentuated with the legend about the werewolf that fell in love with the moon maiden. Which may also serve as foreshadowing for a future story event, Ruri getting seriously hurt and Lamormon going berserk.

Now I expect a couple of more filler/character driven episodes, with maybe some subtle world building and expanding the gang's network of Digimon, before we are introduced to Espimon and the series gets more plot heavy.

Eitaroutarouman

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Congrats to Ruri. If that noise she heard at the end is any indication, then spooks really do exist. But I guess it doesn't count since it's not ghosts. This isn't Werewolf Game after all.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also, there's various things I really appreciate about Lamormon now that I didn't at first. For example, his name has a double meaning. First is "la mort" as in death, second is "l'amour" as in love. As in a Digimon that will brutalize anyone who hurts their loved ones. This is further accentuated with the legend about the werewolf that fell in love with the moon maiden. Which may also serve as foreshadowing for a future story event, Ruri getting seriously hurt and Lamormon going berserk.
I get the feeling that was the intent, since Angoramon and Ruli are meant to be a parallel of the werewolf that fell in love with the moon maiden.

Ragnalord

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lamortmon, what a incredibly boring digimon, it's first showing was nowhere near majestic as thytismon or canoweismon (excuse my spelling) and they saved him for last? Disappointing.

However, he'll yes on the appearance of manticoremon

ChrisPerry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally, I'm glad that Lamortmon appeared. Yet, I have to agree with @Ragnalord that Thetismon and Canonweissmon had more magnificent first appearance.

TheImpster

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lamortmon, what a incredibly boring digimon, it's first showing was nowhere near majestic as thytismon or canoweismon (excuse my spelling) and they saved him for last? Disappointing.

However, he'll yes on the appearance of manticoremon
Finally, I'm glad that Lamortmon appeared. Yet, I have to agree with @Ragnalord that Thetismon and Canonweissmon had more magnificent first appearance.
That's because Lamortmon isn't MEANT to be majestic.

Cardcaptor Takato

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode had a really great spoopy vibe to it and i liked the sense of panic and paranoia in the episode and I liked the mystery solving supernatural focus of it and Ruli actually got to do stuff and we got to learn more about her family. I'm also glad we finally got Lamortmon. Maybe it could have been a better episode but I'll take it after last week's.

Last edited:

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pretty good episode overall. I did like the presentation of the legend, especially at the end when they reveal the artwork of the actual events of the werewolf and the maiden, and there was some good moments where they integrated the classic werewolf motif with the story. Manticoremon was a surprise as he's not a werewolf, but he was a welcome one as he definitely played the part of a ferocious beast out for blood.

In terms of Super Evolution debuts: Thetismon>Lamortmon>Canoweissmon. Thetismon had good emotional weight, presence, and the actual evolution felt earned in the given situation. Lamortmon was weaker in emotional weight, but still fit the motif of the episode as he contrasted the legend of the werewolf and did get a good showing as a vicious bat-rabbit thing when tearing into Manticoremon for threatening Ruri. Canoweissmon came out of nowhere in the Vamdemon episode as it felt more like a Ruri episode beforehand and did not feel earned by the end of it.

digifan313

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's something ironic that his evolution pose is as gentlemanly as ever per usual of Angoramon then become a beast with a more basic instinct afterward. Even though we all know this is coming somewhat due to Lamortmon's lore but wonder what made Ruli stop him in the end, is it fear of letting the beast fully take over or just doesn't want to kill?

Overall not bad episode for first appearance, but the execution around the end is a bit lacking and like many episodes I feel like would've benefited from being a 2 parter and expand the background lore a bit more.

Part of the scarier stuff in the episode is how eager the villagers are for a sacrifice but at the same time understandable when it's such a huge part of the community and there are people getting injured with inexplicable sickness afterward.

I think this is the first time though that we got a 'maybe there is a ghost after all' being the werewolf maybe could be real. Think the story of a tragic love between werewolf and the princess gonna be a mirror to Ruli and Angoramon's relationship?

Sometimes I really wish they would stop and rest for a bit and discuss what's happening rather than just keep going to the next thing, like we still don't have anymore clue on Gulus, what's the limitation of going Perfect, and like here, how does Ruli feel about Lamortmon

robiu013

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lamortmon's cute bunny tail <3

Kiiro

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I loved this episode, finally Lamortmon is here! The super evolution animation doesn't disappoint, once again it was very fluid. After waiting this long for Lamortmon I don't feel it in myself to nitpick about anything, I'll just take it as it is. Definitely better than Canoweissmon's debut though, that's for sure.

It's kind of funny that Kiyo didn't think of using Thetismon for Salamandermon's saliva thing but did so for Manticoremon, maybe it didn't count as poison. Still, glad to see Thetismon again!

If the "mystery accelarates" theme is settling in, I'm expecting more thrilling episodes going forward, but for now I'll assume the next few episodes will be standalone non-plot based ones as usual.

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I also love this episode. It's fluid and the pace is good. If only Darcmon wasn't there, we would have seen the beast in action.

IISAN_

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was pretty cool, I enjoyed the ferocity from Lamortmon even before he the final strike. The super evolution certainly was fun and felt complete, I just hope we finally see all three of them working together!

lucemonbr

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One the best episodes ever in whole franchise. This one deserves a prize. Amazing, incredible no words for this only 👏🏻

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As was to be expected, Larmortmon makes his long awaited debut. This definitely felt a lot like an old school horror movie with all the tropes and whatnot. Considering Ruli built up this whole social media account about looking for the paranormal, it was jarring to see her indignation at the werewolf legend and dismissing it as superstition at first. The moment when Ruli has the vision about the truth behind the legend was certainly interesting and I wonder if that'll come up again later or if its just meant to be one of those "maybe magic maybe not" moments. Somebody at Toei remembered to put some money in the meter because the animation was so much more fluid than most episodes. I liked that the crew were thinking tactically this time and when Kiyo saw Manticoremon uses poison he immediately jumped to Thetismon to counter it. Sadly Lamortmon got shafted by the runtime and barely got to do anything impressive, I was really interested in seeing if him constantly repeating the mantra of "protect Ruli" meant he was struggling to maintain control or something but I guess we'll have to wait for the next time he transforms to see.

Overall definitely a better Perfect debut than Canoweissmon, but not as good as the Thetismon one. Not comes the infinitely long wait for the Ultimate debuts... :cry:

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whoa! I totally didn't expect it was Manticoremon?! And he ate the data of Werewolf legend and went paranoid as thinking himself as a werewolf? How odd. Other digimons ate the electronic things and they didn't go mad in other seasons. I guess that is really very weird. Like Asuramon oddly incapable of having many other emotions in this season yet there are tons of digimon have many emotions to express...

I was so sure Garurumon, WereGarurumon or Cerberumon Werewolf Mode will appear... lol

Yay! Finally SymbareAngoramon evolved! And whoa I didn't expect this animation in that evolution animated so beautifully! I liked how SymbareAngoramon lending the hand like the gentleman butler then... Spinning like a ballet producing wind travel lines! I was surprised Lamortmon can go on two legs and four legs and it's like... Gorilla walking?

How interesting Lamortmon actually stopped as D'arcmon yelled stop and walked back off and acted like a guilty dog who got ordered to the corner to regret its action. LMAO how cute Lamortmon got... Pomeranian tail?! That is just... lol instead of rabbit cotton tail?

So Lamortmon wasn't totally berserker as it seemed. He can still protect her and does talk but barely? And actually listened to whatever says "Stop" and the guilty dog action instead of mad rampage drive to death unlike other berserker digimon ones.
I don't think Lamortmon counts as the dark evolution... Honestly I don't know what to say.

But damn this episode made me so happy to see Lamortmon's savageness!

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So Lamortmon wasn't totally berserker as it seemed. He can still protect her and does talk but barely? And actually listened to whatever says "Stop" and the guilty dog action instead of mad rampage drive to death unlike other berserker digimon ones.
I don't think Lamortmon counts as the dark evolution... Honestly I don't know what to say.!
Lamortmon is the first partner Digimon since Cyberdramon to be as feral as a partner can be without being an outright Dark Digivolution. Cyberdramon is still slightly more so since Ryo has have to put him on a straight up leash at least once.