Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 33, Whispers of the Dead

A preview of the episode from the end of episode 32

Episode 33 airs Sunday, July 9th, 9am in Japan.

We expect the simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, July 9th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, July 9th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, July 10th, 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• 00article.jpg
    00article.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 6,701

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Subtitle layout is right this time, yay!

And we start with Gammamon arguing with Piccolomon about chocolate, Jellymon isn't happy to be listening to this. Neither is Kiyoshiro.

Good thinking on Kiyoshiro to swap to digital space so his room doesn't go ass up from Piccolomon's attack. And now Kiyoshiro sees the light and is going towards it, literally.

Standing in a field of flowers, and it breaks away to a grayscale version of his room. And a voice says it found him and laughs.

Kiyoshiro gets zapped by Jellymon and is awake. Piccolomon's bomb seemingly got him and he brushes it off as a dream. He does research on the internet and decides he was about to die.

The laughter is back. Jellymon tells him he imagined it all, and floats on out, as she has shit to do.

More laughing and muttering from a Digimon. Kiyoshiro gets an MRI because he's worried he's going nuts.

He also has Mummymon check him out. It isn't a side effect of Piccolomon's attack if nothing else.

Mummymon has an idea though. A medicine he made to calm down Digimon so they don't have a repeat of the Morphomon situation, that puts you inbetween life and death.

Mummymon wants to give it to him to make him repeat his experience to show it isn't a dream. And Kiyoshiro wakes up at a business meeting (without getting injected apparently), just lack of sleep from freaking out.

He nearly slipped and killed himself on a urinal but caught himself at the last moment. Stuff almost falls on him. Now the messages are freaking him out even more.

The voice says it's his friend, as he freaks out more. No one is finding it funny anymore. Gammamon offers him chocolate to try and make him feel better.

They write down some of what he says the voice said and Mummymon takes a look. Things are starting to try and make them go in specific ways with traffic lights going out. Mummymon recognizes the messages as those he might hear from dead Digimon. But some of them he's never heard before...

And a car starts itself and starts trying to run him down right as Hiro gets a call from Ruli to warn him. And Kiyoshiro is back in the flower field, then the grayscale world. And he wonders if he is dead. And Sepikmon is standing there.

An ambulance picks him up, well, his body anyways. He's still talking to the Digimon. It doesn't want him to leave.

The Digimon explains he's inbetween worlds, and he wanted to be friends with him, but he vanished. It opens a portal to the river Styx to take Kiyoshiro across. It wants to be friends, but can only be friends with the dead. And it won't let him leave this time.

Betsumon shows up to help, forced to by Clockmon, so they could get his body. Mummymon is there to help. Kiyoshiro wasn't hit by the truck, his soul is missing.

Jellymon is quite upset when Mummymon says they should say goodbye. She's more upset when her electric zaps don't wake him up. Mummymon stops her.

Kiyoshiro is hiding from Sepikmon, who is looking for him. And he lets out a breathe and there is Sepikmon. He runs and tries to call for help, but his phone won't turn on.

The Digivice V shows his heart is pumping quite a bit. He runs into a store to grab a phone cable to charge his phone off the Digivice, and is able ot get a call to Hiro.

The others are confused, as his phone is right there. Jellymon answers it and it's him asking for help, and he quickly explains what is going on as Sepikmon shows up again.

And he trips, and screams, phone disconnected. Angoramon and Mummymon figure out it's Sepikmon, as he drags Kiyoshiro to the river Styx. Hiro points out 'wherever' he is is close enough for a phone call to work. Mummymon pulls out his medicine he was making for Hiro. Jellymon points out it's for Digimon and has him jab her.

She doesn't like needles. Mummymon gives words of encouragement as she goes. The medicine amps her up as Mummymon warned.

Kiyoshiro is being dragged into the river and Jellymon comes flying in and grabs him. Her being all amped up and glowy is fun.

Jellymon taunting Sepikmon that Kiyoshiro is hers is a good touch. Tesla time.

Tesla is amped up also. And they play the right song for evolutions this time, and not the avant.

Tesla whacks Sepikmon, goes back to normal, and time to go home. They wake up and Kiyoshiro looks much better, if a bit confused he's alive.

Sepikmon is there being held by Angoramon. Jellymon brought him with them to punish him. Angoramon and Mummymon and Hiro lecture Sepikmon. But they also find a place for them. Angoramon pontificates about friends, in a tiny box in the corner.

The Digimon encyclopedia segment is now after the ED with a dedicated screen as "Hiro's Study Files!" rather than being mid episode, various characters narrate, but it's basically exactly the same as before, just with show clips in the corner. Interesting change to make at this point. Kiyoshiro isn't happy.

Overall, a very good episode that works off the style and mood, and by framing is well around the way Kiyoshiro tends to act. Characters do doubt him, but it's kept to a minimum, as things are simply going off. It's one of the rare times the world feels lived in with characters we've seen before in a somewhat natural way (although maybe shoving in a few too many all at once.)

Ayaka Saito was Sepikmon. She was previously Burgamon in Adventure: & Pillomon earlier in Ghost Game.

AppliFang

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This could have been an earlier episode lol
But like Mummymon appearing more....xD. Best part of the episode was Nurse Betsumon for me!!

Sepikmon kinda sounded like Patamon imo ^^

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While watching the final battle I was expecting to see Jellymon crushes Sepikmon's mask and we get to see Sepikmon's face for the first time.
I'm being reasonably hopeful because it's Ghost Game. But I guess we might see his face in another time.

digifan313

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When thing get the weirdest seems Kiyoshiro is always the victim lol
Poor guy

Fight scene can be a bit better, but always nice to see Jellymon caring for Kiyo

robiu013

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why won't Kiyoshiro play with monkey man?

The struggle of having to buy a USB C cable, cause you didn't prepare for the road, huh? Been there just a week ago.

I mean overall it was an entertaining episode. The writers are definitely having quite a bit of fun coming up with these ghost story premises each episode.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was amusing since this episode is kinda what I imagined GG might be like as an entire series when it was first announced and we knew so little, with it delving into the supernatural alongside Digimon. Anyways, I was genuinely shocked that Kiyo didn't go Integer Overflow like in the Pillomon episode since it seemed like an obvious climax and follow-up on that plot thread. It was certainly refreshing to see as many cameos or otherwise references to continuity like with Morphomon, makes it feel very validating to have sat through the previous episodes which weren't all stellar. The "Hiro's Study Files" was a curious addition at the end but I suppose it makes sense as there wasn't really an appropriate moment to do it in the episode since Angoramon didn't participate in the fight. I will be interested in seeing if they carry that forward or if it was a one-off.

Overall, it was a good episode. But like many in GG it didn't advance either characterisation nor the plot and so I'll probably forget about it after a few weeks.

Kiiro

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Once again a decent episode, the mood was consistent and I love how much Jellymon cares about Kiyo. I was not expecting this many of the previous digimon to appear or be mentioned!
The study files thing is strange to introduce when we're in the middle parts of the series, but it was fun to hear the trio talking casually about the digimon instead of just a single shot over Angoramon's explanation as they did before.

Eitaroutarouman

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As someone who had to take an MRI, I sorta feel sorry for Kiyo. They suck. You're stuck in a tube for an hour. It's an alll-around not fun experience. Honestly impressive this boy hasn't had like fifty heart attacks by now.

Noni

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kyo always has such a bad time, poor kid.

The mysterious hand ended up being Sepikmon's hand in shadows, no Bakemon after all. But I liked it, very fun seeing all these previous digimon popping up.

Strontium

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I guess this means that in the world of Ghost Game, the afterlife is real? Very interesting XD
Anyways, I liked this episode. Kiyoshiro is probably the most entertaining human character to watch. And like others said, I liked seeing previous episodes' Digimon return, especially Mummymon.

Noni

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I guess this means that in the world of Ghost Game, the afterlife is real? Very interesting XD
Anyways, I liked this episode. Kiyoshiro is probably the most entertaining human character to watch. And like others said, I liked seeing previous episodes' Digimon return, especially Mummymon.
I want to argue that in Adventure it's real too. Given that both Wizarmon and Vamdemon survived as spirits in the human world. But being digimon their nature in the real world is difficult to pin down.

I feel the answer would be positive given the existence of other dimensions like that world of dreams and the Dark Ocean in 02. Kakudou himself seemed pretty open to the idea of the supernatural, so the afterlife itself is a possibility.

We know Koichi in Frontier was also only in the digital world in spirit. With his body still being in the real world. So while the afterlife is not confirmed, the existence of soul and spirit absolutely is.

Wolfry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man, I called it on Sepikmon.

Poor Kiyoshiro got put through the wringer considering he was an inch into the grave near the end. Fortunately, things worked out in the end and we don't have a dead protag. Dude needs a bit of rest and relaxation after that though.

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not so much to say anything but I didn't expect Sepikmon got revealed. I assumed it was the work of Bakemon or Dracmon's angry spirit.

Disappointed I didn't get to see more of Thetismon.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well that was a bit creepy. Poor Kiyo. That sure was some episode. But more of the low side of Some. Really though, it wasn't bad. ...There's a Betsumon. Guess this is like community service for them.

Giffsen

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really like the fact Betsumon can be literally anyone with given time lol
Aside from that, it felt like the average early episode where nothing really matters in the end so there isn't much to say.

Mon-Ohma

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
AUDACITY-IN-THE-FACE-OF-COURAGE.png

"So, would you mind telling us what IT stands for?"

-------------------------------------------------------------

Our weekly dosage of Kiyoshiro abuse finds itself wasting precious little time in escalating quickly to first-degree Piccolocide. And contrary to how the song goes, things do not get better. Indeed, things get so serious that Gammamon is even prepared to offer up his stash of champions.
I'm wondering perhaps if any of the Digimon that had been 'forgotten' courtesy of Betsumon found their way into this subdimension. Might have made a nice bit of continuity from the previous episode. Speaking of which, we now know what Clockmon meant by 'straightening' them out. :p
One quick game of Sepikmon Isolation later and Kiyoshiro hits upon an unorthodox method of communicating from beyond the grave, leading to Jellymon-Sama taking extreme measures to rescue her husbando. And the shippers rejoiced!

Pretty much all the usual ingredients you'd expect from a Kiyosode, with the added bonus of call-backs and guest appearances peppered throughout. Something I find helps make these fillers more enjoyable. I like the fact that Mummymon MD has by this point virtually become the fourth lead.
It's also nice whenever Ghost Game takes advantage of and delves into its more supernatural/mythological elements. So it seems appropriate as any place for them to introduce a new after credits segment about it.

Additional: Noticeably my subtitles translated the Sanzu River to Styx rather annoyingly. Also, Ruri should totally have adopted Sepikmon.

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just finished watching the episode after a week and a day.
I am lazy and unable to concentrate on the episode and maybe the episodic nature of the show is throwing me off. By that, I mean making me less interested.
Anyways, I think this episode was good. I liked the concept of a near death experience. I liked Kyoshiro's struggle with Sepikmon. I liked seeing Mummymon again. I loved Nurse Betsumon. Good that Clockmon is putting the Betsumon to good use. I also liked Jellymon electroshocking Kyoshiro. The fight between TeslaJellymon and Sepikmon was short but good. I liked Septimon finding a place in the forest at the end of the episode.