Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 31, Killer Blade

A preview of the episode from the end of episode 30

Episode 31 airs Sunday, June 26th, 9am in Japan.

We expect the simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, June 25th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, June 25th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, June 26th 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• 0article.jpg
    0article.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 7,078

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
An episode airing on the 25th anniversary of the franchise!

And we begin with a guy humming, and a Digimon possessed by a familiar sword. Gets slashed with it which sucks him into the sword, and we get faces all over the sword.

It's just saying cut, slice, etc. and now it's fighting a Hanumon.

Off to Ruli and Angoramon. Angoramon talking to Ruli about a swordsman drama book he had been reading. And off he goes to his gathering.

Angoramon carring Reppamon back from the meeting, Reppamon and his tail disagreeing. They both want their regards sent to Ruli, nice touch to steal have the tail.

And there is the Hanumon, with the sword. Angoramon stops him from attacking someone.

Angoramon tries to grab the sword, Hanumon gets sucked into it, and now Angoramon has it, and he realizes he can't let go. And he hears the sword telling him to cut and slice.

We get a flashback to Hanumon grabbing the sword. Angoramon has figured out the trick to what is happening, he just can't do anything about it with the voice in his head and the sword in his hand.

Ruli wakes up the next day a bit confused about Angoramon not being home, and we flash to Angoramon trying to hit the sword against the wall with no luck getting rid of the sword. As the sword tells him what he has to do, and he begins to say cut and slice.

Gammamon wonders if Angoramon has gone camping with him being missing. Hiro muses that they've had this conversation before... Kiyoshiro notes that Jellymon often leaves for days, which is good. Jellymon pops in at that moment.

Angoramon is able to stop himself from attacking someone, and promptly flies into a water tank. And off in the distance... Zubamon watches.

Angoramon admits to himself he's being very drained, it seems to be sapping his life out. The sword will spare him for the life of a human. And if not, it has other options.

Ruli leaves her place for the day, comes home, still no Angoramon.

A shadowy figure shows up to Reppamon, his tail also feels it. Oh, hi Angoramon. The tail recognizes the attack ahead of time and blocks it.

Angoramon apologizes and flies off quickly. Both Reppamon and his tail already seem aware what is going on after recognizing the sword.

Kiyoshiro recommends go to the Digimon who gather, since Angoramon was supposed to meet there. Jellymon brags how amazing she is and offers to go check.

She finds nothing, no gathering that night. But Reppamon shows up. Later Reppamon explains to Ruli that he was attacked, and the Digimon doing it is definitely Angoramon.

The sword mocks Angoramon, as he also refuses to hand the sword to anyone else and curse them. Then his eyes go white.

Reppamon will ask other Digimon to see if they can even find him. Angoramon drags the sword along, but is also saying lines from his book.

I believe that was a Starbucks with the mermaid drawing replaced with a drawing of the series director.

Ruli runs off to a temple Angoramon mentioned earlier and finds him, but as you'd expect, Angoramon isn't home anymore in the body.

KausGammamon evolution to stop a sword attack. Kiyoshiro also runs in to.... help might be the wrong word, catch up at least.

TeslaJellymon evolution and she wraps up his arm to keep him from attacking. But the sword tries to grab her, then Kaus.

Kaus evolution zapped back to Gammamon. Sword is glowing. Hi Musyamon. Enough energy from Kaus to get its body back.

The sword and Musyamon accidentally fused going through the gate to the human world, needed energy to regenerate it's body. We see Zubamon's foot also.

Musyamon believes it's body shouldn't have been fixed already. It wants more of whatever energy Gammamon seems to have.

Angoramon is quite upset at all of this, says how he will protect Ruli, etc. SymbareAngoramon time.

Kiyoshiro kicks them all into a digital space.

Symbare can't do much against the sword. I believe they're using a part of First Riders they haven't used in the show before (or at least not fora while.)

Symabre isn't having much luck although he's doing his best to hold back the sword.

In flies Zubamon. Musyamon knows him, and vice versa. Angoramon doesn't know who he is though. Zubamon mocks Musyamon a bit. Zubamon has been beaten by Musyamon before, but Zubamon wants another try, turns into his sword mode, launching himself to Symbare, who says his book line again.

We get the standard 'two samurai rushing at eachother', and then they land and Musyamon's sword bbreaks, restoring everyone.

Zubamon thanks Angoramon for his payback. Then leaves after Angoramon thanks him.

Ruli is upset Angoramon didn't ask for help. He apologizes even though he refused to put anyone in danger.

And here is BlackTailmon with a letter. She leaves with Musyamon after helping him up.

The letter is from Hiro's dad, a response to the letter before. The letter before asked what to do with the hard Digimon when they appear.

The answer is... no idea, good luck.

Everyone cringes. Hiro isn't surprised. Angoramon ends with some puffery. Que sera.

This is another episode that seems interesting, and mostly fine, but continues the theme of asking questions that needs answers, with minimal interest in answering them. So we're left with no answers. Not a bad episode though.

New outfits next week....

Masashi Ebara played Musyamon in his first Digimon role. Another voice actor with a neverending list of roles, fans might know him as Might Guy in Naruto/Boruto, Alastor in Shakugan no Shana. He's also a number of Japanese voices for well known US content, such as the Japanese voice of various Transformers from Generation 1 like Ratchet, Skywarp, Teletran 1, and Spike (among others.) He was also the dub voice for Bruce Campbell as Ash in various Evil Dead content, Clayface in Batman the Animated Series, Freddy Krueger, Tom Hanks in the Simpsons Movie, and WOlverine in the dub of the old X-Men cartoon.

Minami Tsuda plays Zubamon in her first Digimon role. Actors with endless roles keep coming... Miho in various Idolmaster Content, Kibago in Pokemon, Megumi in Wake Up, Girls, and Yui in Yuruyuri, among many other roles.

SuperStarlite

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really shouldn't have believed this was Lamortmon's episode... but I did. 🤡

Wolfry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After this episode i'm convinced that nobody knows how to draw Zubamon LOL.

AppliFang

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Another Ruli and Angora episode yet no evo lolol xD

*During the mall episode we got mimi attire cameo and now we get Izzy's laptop logo's cameo haha

Geode

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally, Zubamon’s anime debut.

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
An anniversary digimon debuted in anime on this year's anniversary.

If this isn't Ghost Game, I'd want to believe that leaf Hokuto wrote the letter on will be some secret item for them.

*During the mall episode we got mimi attire cameo and now we get Izzy's laptop logo's cameo haha
Actually the logo has been a thing since the early episodes.

digifan313

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No Lamortmon but for some reason I don't feel surprised.

There's actually something cute about Angoramon gushing on his favorite book. Feels like it's rare for him to act like the child level he is.
Of course we know how the episode would go.

We got Hiro's father's reply and it's... yet again as expected out of ghost game. Wonder if they'll actually answer this.
Think BlackTailmon is taking Musyamon back to digital world or just walking together?

Ragnalord

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am hoping that digimon like herrismon and zubamon are not one time only thing, I hope that make more appearances

Chudix

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Another Ruli/Angora episode and no evolution :/ this season reminds me Adventure 2020 with no ultimate evolutions for digis other of Agumon in their episodes, but giving them "shadows" of the final forms, to extend whole process. They are baiting Lamortmon for over a month.

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Turned out as it wasn't horror episode but I kinda knew it was going totally Jojo's Bizarre Adventure with Anubis.

I'm pleased to see Hanumon and Zubamon!

I'm surprised diving though worlds accidentally fuse the digimon and its weapon? That is... Pretty unheard of.

OH he didn't reach Perfect level yet. I think Angoramon is almost like Patamon for delaying the evolution trigger longer.

I didn't think I really got to see Zubamon transform! So that is how Legend-Arms transform into weapons.

Nice episode I guess it was really normal episode.

Kiiro

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wasn't expecting Zubamon to show up in this episode, but now that I think about it a sword digimon appearing on a sword related episode makes sense. We assumed said digimon was Lamortmon but turns out it was Zubamon. Still, it was a nice enough episode and once again a heartwarming moment between Ruli and Angoramon. Hopefully we see Zubamon again!
Also I thought Hokuto would send over the Digivice VVs already, or at least give some info, but alas, his message was hilariously in character.

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope the leaf Hokuto sent to Hiro is the reason why they should go to the Digital World themselves to find out.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Unlike others, I don't feel surprised by the lack of Lamortmon as unlike the Vamdemon episode, it didn't feel like this episode was trying to build towards an Evolution.

Anyways, this episode follows a lot of the same beats as the "Anubis" arc of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. However, where this episode suffers is the typical GG problem of cramming a plotline into a single episode. I felt the storyline definitely would have improved had they built on the mystery of Goblimon/Hanumon wielding the sword first instead of just telling us, have the crew clash against Zubamon as well who refuses to cooperate or explain what's going on until after Angoramon picks up the sword. Then Zubamon tries to make up in the next episode for it by subbing in as Ruli's Partner Digimon and whatnot.

Other than that, I was annoyed that once again the heroes think like an RPG where it's Angoramon's "turn" to fight Musyamon while Jellymon sits on the sidelines and watches. At least Gammamon had the excuse of being knocked out. The final clash being decided by a single stroke also felt underwhelming. Finally the response from Hokuto being reduced to a gag was incredibly deflating.

So yeah, not a "bad" episode but definitely could have done with being in the oven for longer.

Mattman324

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man, that delay really was important, it let the 20th Anniversary Digimon show up in an anime on the day of the 25th.

TheImpster

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man... The worst episode so far. It had such a good premise, but awful execution. Nothing made the episode worth watching it. That leaf better be important later on, or I'm gonna be pissed. Not even Zubamon could salvage this.

dlewis53

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really enjoyed this episode!

The atmosphere was pretty good, especially with the phases of the moon being shown. The idea of a sword that possesses Digimon, absorbs human souls, and eventually has you transfer it to another Digimon before absorbing the previous host is a pretty creepy fit for this show.

I also really liked Angoromon in this; it was rather cute to see him gushing over a book he was reading at the start, and I do have to give him props for managing to resist the sword's control for as long as he did, and also managing to prevent it from moving on to a different hosts; that was pretty impressive. Admittedly, you could make the argument that it was a bit disappointing that he didn't really go on a killing spree after finally succumbing, but personally, I'm more of a character guy, and I have to admit this was a strong character showing for Angoromon, which makes up for that imo.

I also didn't expect the actual culprit to be Musyamon; that was neat, as was the duel between him and SymbareAngoromon. Thought, on that note, the antagonist being a Champion-level Digimon made it clear that there wouldn't be an Ultimate evolution for Angoromon this episode, which was kind of disappointing.

My only other real issue is that Zubamon kind of felt like he came out of nowhere. Granted, it's not as bad as CaptainHookmon was considering Zubamon was seen observing Angoromon earlier, but it was kind of hinted that he had a past with Musyamon that wasn't elaborated on beyond the scar. So yeah, part of me feels like you could've removed Zubamon from the episode and not much would change.

Finally, regarding the leaf message, I honestly wasn't that bothered by it for a few reasons: 1. After re-watching Episode 1 last night and thinking back to Episode 14 where the biomes were given, I feel like this is pretty on brand for Hiro's dad, and aside from knowing the basics about Digimon, nothing I've seen suggests that he's any kind of expert. 2. I long-since accepted that this is not a very plot-driven or overarching mystery-driven show; rather, it's an episodic show that wants to tell new and different ghost story ideas involving Digimon with a bit more focus on the actual characters, and honestly, I'm enjoying myself, so I'm not that bothered by the response being a joke. Not to mention the only mystery I'm really interested in is the deal with Gulus and the "Black" Digimon that have appeared whenever he does.

So yeah, overall, I really enjoyed this one. Not as much as last week's episode, but this was still really enjoyable in my opinion.

Noni

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I thought it was an enjoyable episode, although it has some common issues Ghost Game has had for a bit, but overall good. I am glad is not the episode Lamortmon showed up, all things considered.

I feel like the theme song Zubamon got was new (?) if so I am expecting them to show up again later.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
OK so no Lamortmon. I can say that here? But hey, Zubamon is kind of cool. We see just how the Legend Arms works. Angoramon sure loves his reading. It's nice. ...How helpful is Dad going to be once they find him?