Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 30, Bad Friend

A preview of the episode from the end of episode 29

Episode 30 airs Sunday, June 19th, 9am in Japan.

We expect the simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, June 18th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, June 18th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, June 19th 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 8,401

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thetismon added to the intro, as you'd hope after they did with Cano.

And we begin with a girl ripping apart clothes and making a mess of her room. Baggy eyes, sad and angry. Worried she's being forgotten.

Banging from the closet, and voices that want to come and play. Two well known teddies. She wants them to go away, but they don't.

Parents knock on the door to talk with her and make sure she's ok. The Digimon offer to take care of it for her. The dad is turned into a plushy and can't "be annoying" anymore.

They let her know they are her real friends and they won't let anyone bother her. Camera zooms out on the house to show a well known yellow arm.

Ruli and the others talk about their friend who isn't going to school for a month and how they want to check on her. Gammamon is sitting there being fed. One of Ruli's friends comments on how it's odd that he can eat, being a hologram.

Waru and Ex and playing... DDR? with Kayono. Her teacher comes to check on her. And she has evil kid face. The teddies will take care of the annoyance though. Another doll.

Pizza guy... another doll. A social worker from the school checking on her... another doll.

Waru threatens the mom, as he suspects she was the one who got the social worker to come... not following the rules she isn't.

Hiro & Gammamon leave the store, and keep noticing Monzaemon following them,but trying to hide (too large to do so well), so they try and chase after him, but he gets away.

Aoi visits Kayono. Kayono is dressed all goth now. Aoi is worried about her and trying to talk. She's not super interested and seems more jealous that she's been hanging out with Ruli. Aoi wants them all to hang out, and she just gets more angry.

As the Digimon come closer Aoi muses again on them being 'just' holograms, right? Another doll.

The Digimon invite her to leave and go hang out outside the house and she agreed. Her mom tries to stop her...

Ruli & Angoramon show up at the house to see what's up with Aoi, as she isn't responding to anything. Door is open, house is empty and a mess. Ruli finds her bag, calls Hiro for help.

Various people are walking in Kayono's way and being turned into dolls.

Here is Kiyoshiro and Jellymon. Kiyoshiro is having to drag around a cart for Jellymon and her business. Kayono bumps into it and they decide Hiro has broken her arm. Kiyoshiro doll looks very malnourished. Jellymon doll has a big head.

And now she's just going on a rampage having them zap anyone and everyone she comes across. Throwing the dollars, etc.

Angoramon and Ruli spot Monzaemon, who seems to be beckoning them. Hiro and Gammamon recognize the description.

Now she's styling the hair of the Kiyoshiro doll... that is a haircut.

And Ruli & Angoramon shows up, and she gets very angry. And here is Hiro & Gammamon.

Her and the Digimon explain the dolls and she begins to laugh. Gammamon rushes Waru and gets hit as hard as you'd expect.

Digital space was turned on, so just the 2 Digimon.

Here's Betel & Symbare.

Back in the real world, Kayono starts to freak out thinking she's being abandoned again.

Monzaemon appears in his heart bubble explaining she's mistaken. She's alone because she chose to be, not because others didn't want her around. He makes her see the digital space.

ExTyranomon & WaruMonzaemon say they were happy to hang out with her, she let them do what they wanted, and it was easy to control her.

She's sad because it could have been anyone. Monzaemon explains she's wrong again. That wasn't friendship, she has people who care for her. She begins to see the error in her ways.

Monzaemon has to leave. He's going to help the others and stop Waru and Ex and shoves his way into the space. Only Betal and Hiro are left.

Canoweissmon appears to team up with Monzaemon.

Cano points out there might be a limit to that evolution form so they should get going.

After a few hits Monzaemon does his heart attack to help fix Waru and Ex. They all work to help repair the dolls before turning them back.

Monzaemon had been coming around to get help from everyone, but he kept getting cold feet. Ex and Waru help restore everyone back to normal.

Kayono is out of her goth stuff and thanks Aoi for thinking of her. Jellymon is upset because she had a dream about being an ugly little doll.

Monzaemon will watch over the 2 Digimon to make sure they are ok. Angoramon has some puffery. Aoi is going to say something about Angoramon to Ruli but decides not at the last minute...

Karono sleeps happily, holding a plush.

Honestly, it's an episode that doesn't do anything particularly special or move the needle in any way, but it was very enjoyable because the mood was right, and everyone reacts in a way that's enjoyable to a one off story. The mood and way the characters acted and reacted made this one a fun watch.

Satomi Satou was Kayono. She was previously Akiho in Re:Digitize. She's well known as Wendy in Fairy Tail, Saki in the modern Fruits Basket anime, Rtisu in K-On, Aria in Seitokai Yakuindomo, & plenty more.

Tetsu Shiratori was ExTyranomon. He was previousle Fakemon in Appmon. He's well known as Lloyd from Code Geass, a few different Gundam roles, Gluttony in FMA Brotherhood, & quite a few other roles.

Takashi Matsuyama was WaruMonzaemon. He was previously Musyamon in 02 and Tamers, Allomon in Tamers, Snimon in Frontier, & a number of roles in Adventure: including Algomon, Gaossmon, Boltmon, Abbadomon Core, plus a number of bit roles. And taht's without getting into a massive list ofnon-Digimon roles.

Miyu Irino was Monzaemon. He was Keito in ReArise. He's also well known as Sora and various other characters in Kingdom Hearts, Ritsu in Mob Psycho, and plenty of other roles.

dlewis53

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly, that might be one of my favorite episodes of the show!

The atmosphere in a lot of scenes/shots was good, the use of music I thought made the creepy moments particularly effective, not only was it neat to finally see ExTyrannomon in an animated show, but him and WaruMonzaemon managed to bring their own brand of creepy, I liked Monzaemon's role and how he was essentially Kayono's conscience, I genuinely felt for Kayono at times (particularly towards the end), and I thought the story was a pretty good demonstration of the effects a toxic influence like WaruMonzaemon and ExTyrannomon can have on a person, particularly if it's for their own gains rather than you. Also, maybe it's just me, but I've always felt that dolls, puppets, and the like were plenty creepy, so this episode was definitely hitting those creepy notes well for me.

The only bit of criticism I have is that I feel there could've been a bit more elaboration on why Kayono was in the mental state she was; while there are certainly clues scattered throughout, I feel some sort of proper flashback/explanation behind why she and her friends seemed to drift apart would've been appreciated.

Otherwise, I thought this was a great episode, and I'm looking forward towards the next one!

...Maybe we'll finally get Angoromon's Ultimate form!

Brubarb

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And SymbareAngoramon once again shows up only to do absolutely nothing!

robiu013

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The way I see it this is the closest thing Digimon did to a school shooter episode... or a Care Bears episode.

Kiiro

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As a standalone episode, this was pretty nice! As mentioned above the mood was just right and it made a nice, creepy story with a wholesome ending. Seeing Monzaemon is always a treat!
Though there being a limit on Canoweissmon feels cheap if the reason is "Hiro doesn't have a Digivice VV" instead of a more complex problem. I wonder if it will affect Thetismon and (eventually) Lamortmon too? Anyway, at least they didn't leave it as a one off thing and acknowledged it unlike the teleportation ability and Ruli commanding TeslaJellymon.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Between a human teaming up with "monsters" to the heavier emphasis on the COTD, this definitely got a lot closer to a typical Kitarou episode than the usual GG fare. Despite not much of significance happening aside from Aoi becoming aware of Angoramon, it was still an enjoyable episode. My only major criticism would be the whole "turning people into dolls" felt a bit stretched out in the first half, could have trimmed the pizza guy and social worker to spend a few minutes exploring what caused Kayono to fall into such a state.

Very curious to see if next week is Angoramon's Super Evolution episode or not.

robiu013

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My only major criticism would be the whole "turning people into dolls" felt a bit stretched out in the first half, could have trimmed the pizza guy and social worker to spend a few minutes exploring what caused Kayono to fall into such a state.

How dare you! The pizza guy had like 5-10 seconds max screentime and he delivered! He added so much to the episode... and the pizza didn't even get cold. It's all fake news!

digifan313

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I want to say it's not bad, but I feel like it would've worked better if we actually know WHY she turned out that way. Like the friends say she didn't get along with the second year teacher but all we're shown out of him is that... he wants her back? Not even an angry strict teacher or anything, but a worried one. Aoi too since the only reason they fell out is that she... just stopped showing up at school for a month.

Monzaemon did say it's all her fault so not like we're supposed to sympathize in the 'she got some really good excuse to turns out this way' kind. Just feels a little weird overall.

Cano pointing that there's a limit is neat at least even if they don't figure it out just yet, but still nice to have a nod. There's a lot of mystery in this whole digimon's presence right now, I wonder if they'll ever answer it

TheImpster

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ok, is nobody gonna mention that Monzaemon not only knew about the existence of the digital field created by the digivices but that he ALSO had the ability to travel between dimensions? The only other Digimon known to have the capacity of doing that was none other than GulusGammamon!

Brubarb

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ok, is nobody gonna mention that Monzaemon not only knew about the existence of the digital field created by the digivices but that he ALSO had the ability to travel between dimensions? The only other Digimon known to have the capacity of doing that was none other than GulusGammamon!
I did notice this and was wondering about it while watching!
Maybe she's just a psycho/sociopath... some people, they don't have a backstory, they just are

TheImpster

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I did notice this and was wondering about it while watching!
Maybe she's just a psycho/sociopath... some people, they don't have a backstory, they just are
You quoted me twice lol

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, this is a very good standalone episode. While we could've gotten more of a reason for why Kayono was isolating herself, the fact that she was dealing with a great loneliness, at least partly of her own design, and having it exploited by those who don't care about her made for a more engaging story. It also helped that while she was being used, they don't completely dismiss her own part in what played out as she was still clearly enjoying what she was doing to others and realizing that was important in letting her try to get out of the place she was in.

And SymbareAngoramon once again shows up only to do absolutely nothing!

At least next episode's all about Angoramon, so that'll probably more than make up for it.

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Doll episode... Alright *Watched*

Whoa this episode turned out as it was insane, thrilling and scary horror episode! Very entertaining!

I just dropped my jaw as how Ex-Tyranomon transformed the girl's father into the doll part was way HORROR AND SCARY! Those limbs popping out shocked me! I think all Puppet Type Perfect levels are really powerful than I thought...

Whoa! That girl insane?! She just cheerfully go on rampage with her new doll friends transforming people they encounter at the park like it's totally picnic day! This scene scares me.

Damn when her mom begged her, that... Menacing Ex-Tyranomon slowly drop its jaw preparing to transform her was so good to give people some horror.

Those dolls with dark holes in the eyes are really making me not so comfortable to watch!

Monzaemon made WaruMonzaemon's eyes... Cute that I could never thought of seeing it! I find it silly and somewhat scary.
Surprisingly WaruMonzaemon... Everything about him not totally go "Waru" as his name suggested...

Honestly every new episode really surprised me! Oh yeah now Gammamon is aware of the abnormal de-evolution cause so I guess it's clearly Hiro needs a new digivice to replace with restrictions release.

But... Monzaemon able to teleport with his Lovely Attack to dive between the walls of the dimensions... That is pretty huge useful ability but I wonder, was he really lost? Or simply wander using this new ability? So curiously!

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ep 29: there's a toy looks like Kiyo.
Ep 30: there's a toy of Kiyo.

I guess the stuff Jellymon needs will be useful in future episodes.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well that was creepy. Sad girl, creepy dolls, & is that the first time ExTyrannonmon was in the show? Maybe next week should be good. ...But what does Jellymon do with that stuff?

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I only watched the full episode today. It was good and creepy.

Mon-Ohma

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
jdqWj2.png

"Look who's in the Reject Bin"

-----------------------------------------------------

I feel that if Ghost Game was ever going to add an extra member to the core cast or an antagonistic Tamer (which seems unlikely now) this would certainly be as good a place as any to do so, with the inevitable sinister doll story (almost expected Piemon to step out of that closet :p).
Kayano has potential main character written all over her, with an additional backstory hinted at that could easily have been explored and expanded further. Perhaps seeing her bond with Ruri and slowly becoming more social again, rather than another simple end-of-ep wrap up. Ruri's friends themselves are virtually one step away from being in on things.

There's the added novelty of finally seeing Monzaemon face off against WaruMonzaemon who (along with Ex-Tyranomon) seem to serve as Kayano's conscience here, with the later encouraging her negative traits whilst she is in a vulnerable mental state.
The Canoweissmon misfire from last time is noted here, so it's definitely a plot point still open to being addressed later.

Though given how much the plot ties far more into Ruri, it would perhaps have been nicer for her to have taken centre stage for the finale, rather than ultimately handing things over to Hiro. They could for example have temporarily given her command of Gammamon as a call-back to the Frozomon episode. Otherwise that's my only real knock against it.

Additional: It's extra creepy when you think about those victims if they had been brought back without being repaired first...