Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 27, Monster's Beauty Serum

A preview of the episode from the end of episode 26

Episode 27 airs Sunday, May 29th, 9am in Japan.

We expect the simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, May 28th, 7:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, May 28th, 10:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, May 29th 3:30am in the UK

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• 1530694155432869888_FTxHRYWakAEEipL.jpg
    1530694155432869888_FTxHRYWakAEEipL.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 10,555

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Dripping water, water pouring, the scariest things of all.

And then water pops out and starts to choke the lady and she vanishes.

Subtitles aren't broken this week, hooray!

Gamammon drinking a soda is a nice thing. Hiro and Jellymon looking at rumors while Kiyoshiro freaks out.

Hiro researching random happenings to see if it might be Digimon related. The kids may be getting smarter.

Gammamon chomping ice... and then a vacuum.

More dripping, then pouring water. Someone else begins to get choked, and then the water stops and begins to pontificate.

Looks like Hiro & Gammamon will be able to save this one. I like Splashmon forming out of the water, that's a really good visual. Oop, girl was turned into water which he began to absorb.

He's apparently trying to make people feel fear so he can use it as... hair. He gets away with some of his water, but some bits remain.

Kiyoshiro says Niijima was a hard dorm worker and Angoramon knows it's Splashmon just based on the basic info he was given.

It appears the remnants left behind, which Hiro is keeping in a jar, keep trying to go in the direction that Splashmon is in.

Splashmon is making a beauty serum from the water remnants of the people, which is still alive. More good visuals here. Splashmon is upset as his beauty serum isn't pure enough yet.

Ruli's voice seems odd this episode. She feels like she's lacking energy and simply sounds off.

Water water everywhere at an aquarium.

Splashmon gets away and they all go about their business. Gammamon just wants to know if he can eat the takeout they got.

Now the trio are hearing water dropping.

Gammamon is house trained at least.

Hiro and Ruli acting weirdly scared doesn't feel like it fits the characters.... Kiyoshiro freaking out it fits.

Splashmon got Ruli but Angoramon stops it.

And as they face off against Splashmon... heya Betel, Symbare, and Tesla.

Splashmon seems slightly interested in that they evolved but moves on quickly.

He poofed Betel into water, they run away, and sprinklers begin to go off.

Hiro gets watered, Tsla gets watered, Symbare is able to save Hiro.

Hiro remembers something from the legend and has Ruli pull up the snow digital space.

The pipes are frozen in the snow space so Splashmon can't hide and escape.

And now he's beginning to freeze thanks to SymbareAngoramon's wind attack focusing the cold, which also restores everyone who got watered.

BlackTailmon shows up and takes Splashmon away. Hiro gives her a letter for his dad and had it prepared in case they showed up. Off she goes with her reindeer.

Angoramon finishes with puffery, but also seems confused.

Eh, flat episode honestly. Characters act timid or extra scared in a situation that isn't inherently worse than what they've been in before, and things just felt off.

Hiroaki Miura is Splashmon in the episode. He was BlueMeramon in Xros Wars and Gaioumon in Next Order.

Volano Ota makes his first Ghost Game appearance as Moosemon. Involved in the early years of the franchise as the person in charge of it for Bandai until he left in 2016 to chase his dream of being a Voice Actor, he's had incidental roles throughout the history of the franchise along with being Volcamon in Frontier, Hacker's Memory, & Adventure:, PileVolcamon in Hacker's memory, the announcer in Appmon, & a ton more in Adventure: including but not limited to... Andromon, Nidhoggmon, Golemon, Millenniumon, & Deathmon.

Brubarb

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What digimon is the reindeer?

Wolfry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man I know I shouldn't expect a new evolution each episode but I was expecting TeslaJellymon to evolve this episode given what was said prior to the ship sequence. Ah well. Moosemon appearing this episode was interesting but other than that, the episode was decent.

AppliFang

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Moosemon talking was the highlight for me xD lol

I thought SAngora was gonnna evolve haha

Bancho

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can't help but call back to the Frozomon episode and how that managed to instill a lot of topical fear after making the kids genuinely feel utterly helpless.

If this episode made the "he could come from anywhere" message be more effective in its delivery, had the removal of Betel and Tesla be less brief and towards the end to really sink in a feeling of helplessness, and made the Aquarium scene which had all the set up destruction actually deliver something frightening, this could easily had been on-par with the Frozomon episode and delivered the feeling I feel they were going for.
As of now, this might be one of the most forgettable episodes of this series

Kiiro

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The fear element was nice, but all in all this episode was kind of... just decent? It wasn't bad but nothing super incredible either. Though it was nice to see SymbareAngoramon in the lead again and I am really curious about Hiro's letter to his dad. I hope it leads to some sort of plot point!

Mattwo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
62d8e3874de966955410fe56ae5c68da.jpg

Apparently Hiroaki Miura voiced Dio Brando in the 2007 adaptation of JJBA Phantom Blood.

Last edited:

Amandil7

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Underwhelming episode which is a shame because Splashman had potential but I guess he'll be back when he melts.

digifan313

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After meeting like... the third time? Finally Hiro actually tried to contact his dad through BlackTailmon. Wonder how this will pan out.
Always like it when they actually use the digital environment for advantage, they really need to do more of that

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode definitely felt like they had one idea and then stretched it too thinly across an entire episode. I was hoping that the Nijima girl appearing in the ED meant she would be more central to the episode but no dice. I get what they were going for in trying to have the kids get more progressively scared but the execution was sorely lacking - they should have upped the fear factor by having Splashmon constantly jumpscare the kids at various times of the day but without actually attacking them in order to raise their paranoia and wear them down with stress induced fatigue. Lastly, while Uver showing up as mock-Santa at the end was amusing, it does raise the question of how if he's casually watching the heroes why couldn't he step in to help last week as if ever they needed help sending back a Digimon to the Digital World without killing them, it was with Digitamamon.

Lord Bearmon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

SuperStarlite

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I liked Splashmon’s defeat, since it was tactical. Splashmon might be perfect level, but he relies entirely on water, when there’s no water there’s not much he can do. And they didn’t even beat him entirely, just momentarily incapacitated, he had to be carried off in the end.

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was good, albeit not as much as the previous one, and rather comical. Splashmon was a rather comical opponent with his turning humans into water with the goal of becoming pure and the way he talked about it. I liked how Hiro, Ruli, Kyoshiro and their Digimon defeated him at the end by freezing him. I liked having BlackTailmon return. What Digimon was she riding? Interesting to have Hiro give her a letter to deliver to his father. I am sure this will be a plot point.

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was good, albeit not as much as the previous one, and rather comical. Splashmon was a rather comical opponent with his turning humans into water with the goal of becoming pure and the way he talked about it. I liked how Hiro, Ruli, Kyoshiro and their Digimon defeated him at the end by freezing him. I liked having BlackTailmon return. What Digimon was she riding? Interesting to have Hiro give her a letter to deliver to his father. I am sure this will be a plot point.
Post 4 for the Digimon that was being ridden

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Post 4 for the Digimon that was being ridden
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for not having paid attention to the previous messages.

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
OBSESSED with Hiro finally researching urban legends and being like "Ever notice how Digimon have been responsible for literally every mystery we've investigated?" Twenty six mysteries later....

Its kind of weird how much focus/importance Niijima gets, since this is like her second(?) appearance in the series proper. Nomura gets more screentime than her, and Ruli's posse gets more screentime than him. Granted, her role in the episode was really just so Hiro and Kiyo could get involved, but you could've replaced her with any nameless character for the same effect.

I interpreted the main conflict was the paranoia of being watched by Splashmon and the idea that he could show up anywhere, when they least expect it, which could've worked...but it kinda comes off as forced since they've come across much more dangerous foes. Ruli in particular, cause like her whole social media presence revolves around investigating scary things that other people wont.

I always get this bittersweet feeling whenever BlackTailmon shows up, it happens so infrequently now that my first thought is "Oh hey, BlackTailmon!" and then it comes back to being "Oh yeah, where's the actual plot...?" But I guess that's supposed to be point of BTmon showing up when you least expect it.

Overall this episode is fairly "meh" especially compared to last week's character-based one.