Digimon Ghost Game: Episode 2- The Mystery of the Museum

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
...? Yeah

Too bad it didn't say anything about Clockmon's abilities involved with the time and this Ghost Game's "Future" year.

Because Clockmon's abilities came with extreme restriction. So I wanted to see if the next future episodes will mention about Clockmon/his power being brought in the "current year" of Ghost Game but nothing happened... Tch.

Come to think of it, Gammamon sure likes to introduce himself to every enemy he encounters lol I'd like to see if there is a certain enemy refuses to respond to that.

Vice

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Agumon fossil in the museum was an interesting Easter egg, I couldn’t tell if there was another Digimon there, since the camera moved a bit quick. Come to think of it Agumon has appeared in every Digimon anime since Savers in some way. (Savers main protagonist Digimon, Xros Wars crossover episode, Appmon episode with Digimon, Adventure 2020 main protagonist Digimon). Just like he appears as the partner Digimon in almost every video game. Perhaps the dinosaur hologram in the museum that reminded Gammamon of a Digimon he knew is Agumon or maybe Tyrannomon.

I enjoyed Hiro and Gammamon’s bonding session it was heartwarming to see. It wouldn’t be Digimon without a hungry protagonist Digimon.

It’s cool to see that Hiro lives in a time where he can openly walk around with his Digimon, since everyone thinks it’s some sort of A.I. No hiding him in cardboard boxes or making Gammamon wear weird costumes.

Somehow Gammamon wanting to eat chocolate or champion as he referred to it, triggered his evolution to champion form. I found that a bit clever, it’s also interesting how Gammamon refers to things in different ways that humans would. It appears that the partner Digimon and human are linked in some way, I hope we explore more of this as the series progresses, Tamers vibes there for sure.

Poor Mummymon was just confused, and really like the evolution sequence but it was a bit short, but at least Gammamon’s evolution looks boss.

Okay next episode preview didn’t spoil anything, so bring it on.

I find it weird how Gammamon knows what a brother is but doesn't seem to know the term "father."
I think Gammamon knows what a little brother is, because Hiro’s dad told him that that’s his little brother look after him and he’s just repeating it. Gammamon also never referred to Hiro as his Oni-San brother or Aniki big brother, just repeated “Ototo” which means little brother.

Last edited:

Eminem DU

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not that bad of an episode but it was boring for me at least... I found the sequence to be really short and kind of bad. The good thing is that Mummymon was not defeated by an Adult... Gammamon sure is annoying. Like Guilmon better. I will wait for the next episodes to decide to drop it or not.
Preferable that all tamers have the same animation in evolution sequence as only the main character.

Wolfry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First off, Gammamon is so cute I love him. Especially the scene where Hiro and Gammamon were bonding. I feel this season is in good hands.

Second, I find it weird that nobody was really questioning Gammamon out in the public. I expected at least one person to get suspicious enough to want to investigate Hiro this episode regardless of the AI excuse, but he got off scotch-free. Ah well, maybe next time.

Interesting how things played out. The Mummymon was probably applying Digimon logic to humans (Digimon can reincarnate if killed. Mummymon appears within a museum, sees mummification, put two-and-two together = HUMANS CAN REINCARNATE???) but him shaking his head "no" at Hiro's Digital World questions kinda slant that thought a little.

Glad they didn't kill Mummymon (despite having an Attribute advantage BetelGammamon is still a Champion) but i'm surprised Gammamon survived an Ultimate digimon for so long before being digivolving. The battle was a bit anticlimatic, but we at least know at least two of the Digimon of the Week have personalities/motivations and I wanna see if this stick with most of them. I also wanna see if Mummymon will turn up later, maybe as an ally considering his heel-face turn.

It's a good episode to me overall, with the downtime/bonding and the resolution. I hope we get more episodes that aren't just fighting, and get a few episodes where the crew is just hanging out. My only gripes are Gammamon staying out without attracting too much attention, the quick digivolution scene (I would like to see how Gammamon evolving into BetelGammamon truly works, that was the coolest thing about previous evolution sequences for me), and the battle itself being a little too short.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It does seem like this series is putting greater focus on characterization and interaction over combat in stark contrast to last series.

Now part of this is likely the production crew having learned from the mistakes of the previous series but it may also be due to that, while having character(s) that the audience are invested in is important for any good story, this is especially true for good horror stories since if the audience doesn't give a damn about the characters in general then they're certainly not going to give a damn about whether or not the characters actually live.

Yamato-san

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At first, I was pretty worried about having a Perfect introduced this early in the game, but I was pretty satisfied with how it played out. Rather than pulling a Frontier or a Xros Wars where power scaling gets to be inconsistent as shit, Mummymon didn't need to be defeated outright. Here, we only needed an evolution to a fire-user who could burn his bandages away just long enough for somebody to explain what the hell he was doing wrong (though given the fact that Gammamon could actually survive an onslaught from a Perfect, I'm taking that as a sign that there at least won't be a massive gap between levels as there is in other series).

Speaking of Mummymon's misunderstanding, it's a damn good thing that he ONLY learned about the wrapping part. Given that he was gleaming information from an ancient Egyptian exhibit, just imagine how disastrous things could've turned out for his victims had he learned about things like what the jars were used for, or a certain something that's put up the deceased's nose. BTW, is it just me, or was Mummymon's power actually keeping everyone alive inside of their wrappings (unless he gathered ALL of those victims within less than a week, or he was feeding all of them despite constantly telling them to succumb to darkness, I highly doubt there couldn't have been at least one fatality had that not been the case)? As we've seen with Clockmon, Digimon are very much capable of effecting their surroundings, and can even perform some more supernatural phenomena (such as temporarily forcing people and objects to age). Despite the whole Hologram Ghost angle, this isn't quite like Cyber Sleuth where Digimon couldn't even exist outside of a sufficient electrical environment, so Mummymon was likely capable of such a thing (and likely explains all the data displays on the wrapped victims). And if Mummymon was sustaining their lives, that'd be pretty ironic given that Hiro was warning him he was doing the exact opposite.

Also, we have Hacking Skills in this show. That's pretty cool.

sirtao

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
though given the fact that Gammamon could actually survive an onslaught from a Perfect,
Mummymon is a doctor, he most likely wasn't trying to harm Gammamon

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A pretty good follow up episode to the first, it gave some good focus to Hiro and Gammamon's new relationship and established a goal for Hiro's role in all of this (finding his dad). I also like that Mummymon wasn't evil, just misguided by his lack of information, which made for a good contrast to Clockmon who was outright malicious and trying to harm people for his own reasons. It makes the MotW feel more varied in their personality since it's not just mindless or cruel monsters causing havoc, but actual beings appearing in a new world and reacting differently to it.

Ryudamon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love Gammamon. Sometimes, he act like a 3rd or 4th grader, which was what I saw on his bio, but other times, he acts like a 3 or 4 year old.

The Mummymon seems cool and hopefully either he or his evolution form, Pharaohmon comes back. He seems to be a strong Digimon, just his judgement was off and needed to be guided the right way.

VamAngemon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I couldn’t tell if there was another Digimon there, since the camera moved a bit quick.
Yes it is, look at the screenshot I posted in page 1.

On a side note, I seem to be of the minority who liked the quick evolution sequence. It seemed on point, not too short and not as long as the franchise have spoiled us to.

Master-Element

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I couldn’t tell if there was another Digimon there, since the camera moved a bit quick.
Yes it is, look at the screenshot I posted in page 1.

On a side note, I seem to be of the minority who liked the quick evolution sequence. It seemed on point, not too short and not as long as the franchise have spoiled us to.
When I was young I liked the longer evolution sequences. When I learned from the adventure remake is they get boring with repetition and slow down the story. Also I was not happy that other the other chosen digimon would get seconds long evolution sequences when the clock was ticking in a longer episode, but we had to go through agumon's dragged out ones in totality every time.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
though given the fact that Gammamon could actually survive an onslaught from a Perfect,
Mummymon is a doctor, he most likely wasn't trying to harm Gammamon
Yeah I can believe that for the same reason why a well-written Superman won't just punch Lex Luthor through several mountains in a row: Discipline

A well disciplined being will hold back considerably against an adversary that's weaker than them and that they are trying to avoid harming.

Master-Element

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah I think it's pretty clear mummymon didn't want to seriously injure Gammamon. Remember in their fist encouter he pinned Gammamon to the wall and left. And I think when he was shocking Gammamon for the length that he had if it was meant to actually hurt him it would have. Seemed like it was move of a method of suppressing him rather then cause harm.
Also the over veiw of this episode as not as good as the last one, but I loved the resolution. Having mummymon just misunderstanding how humans work rather them be actually evil for once was nice, especially now that he is going to shadow doctors to learn how to care for humans properly. I hope he comes back later to use his newer medical skills. Also I wish Gammamon's evolution had more screen time. I was hoping to see if Gammamon acts more Mature when in evolved forms, but the battle was to short to give any actual answer.

Yamato-san

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also I wish Gammamon's evolution had more screen time. I was hoping to see if Gammamon acts more Mature when in evolved forms, but the battle was to short to give any actual answer.
I'm sure we'll see more of it over time. Honestly, I loved Tamers actually taking its time with the set-up and not immediately rushing into showing off the evolutions and gimmicks, so it's nice that Ghost Game looks to be following suit.

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If Mummymon appears in next appearance and he manages to avoid harming any digimon with his battle techniques then it can confirm Mummymon is trying to be a doctor as he intended to be...

Meaning his mummy rifle gun have a certain setting button to set down its power to non-lethal...?

PCN24454

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really miss the pre-Xros Evolution Sequences. The new ones just don't have same feel.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Back to normal with these. Gammamon was adorable and it was cool to see him evo. That did explain how he fights an Mon that level.

Mon-Ohma

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Though it’s still too early to tag what the show’s overall formula is going to be like, this follow-up to the premier wisely settles on a slower more character centric route over throwing us into a high stakes world ending scenario. Much of which being devoted to laying the foundations of the relationship between Hiro and Gammamon, whose antics and interactions include both familiar but also unique approaches that are enjoyable to watch. Astounding, already Ghost Game has achieved more with its two main leads then 2020 in its entire run. If that’s the trade-off for less high budget action then I’m okay with it.
My current guess is that the next episode (or two) will be centred around properly introducing Ruri/Angoramon, the former we are teased with a bit more here along with glimpses into her ‘interests’. And the more I see the more it looks like she’ll become my favourite of the trio. So I’ll be interested to see how their partnership will work.

Whilst seemingly a minority opinion, I actually liked what they did with Gammamon’s evolution sequence here. Since I vastly preferred the real-time ones from 2020 anyway, finding Agu/Gabu’s rather hodgepodge and unnecessarily dragged out.
This for me mixes a solid blend between the two. Looking dynamic but without overstaying its welcome, which I feel will work better in the long run especially if they don’t shortchange the other two Partners.
The new song ‘First Riders’ was catchy too (not afraid to say I prefer it over ‘Be the winners’), putting me in mind a fair bit of Evo.
Saying that I’m still not the biggest fan of Betel’s design, which I consider to be the weakest looking out of the four Adult forms, resembling more of a rejected Sonic character. Whilst his move-set definitely feels like it’s channelling Fladramon. Again I’m finding more similarities between Gammamon and V-Mon then any other.

Mummymon MD I felt was treated with respect, being suitably imposing and interesting at the same time. Hopefully we haven’t seen the last of him either.
It’s also nice to see the Level gap being acknowledged without being directly commented on. I’m presuming sooner or later they will be obliged to kill a dangerous enough foe, but I’d be fine with them mixing that up just to keep us guessing.

So far the writers continue to hit all the right notes for me. If there were any flaws they weren’t apparent enough to be worth worrying about.