Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 19, The Witching Hour

A preview of the episode from the end of episode 18

Episode 19 airs Sunday, February 20th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, February 19th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, February 19th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, February 20th, 2:30am in the UK (GMT)

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• ep19preview04_february19_2022.jpg
    ep19preview04_february19_2022.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 12,858

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's certainly a voice to just creepily start asking questions out of nowhere.

Gammamon getting to go off alone and being told what to do. Amusing to let him go get chocolate on his own.

The sunset visual looks pretty good. It gives it a slightly different look to much of the show.

Angoramon pontificating and Ruli slowly not hearing anything minus the noises and the voice from earlier are a good way to do that, then poof.

I wish the teleporting visual was more unique, but it isn't bad.

Kiyoshiro and Jellymon tailing Gammamon to help make sure he's ok, while Hiro 'also' is following. Gammamon looking at the map is cutesy.

Wow, those two are just a few feet behind Gammamon...

So not quite back in time? THe people are all ghostly and odd. And was that just a shadow of Hiro's dad? Ruli seems to recognize something being 'older', but no answers quite yet from the episode

Gammamon trying to figure out the map. Jellymon hopes he will cry soon.

Enter Piccolomon.

Jellymon is upset that Piccolomon might help and Gammamon might not owe her a favor if he needs help. Piccolomon wants the Digivice.

God, can someone hit someone at Bandai and Toei with a book for using the Picklemon translation.

The shadows following them are them. Thought the one following Hiro was taller.

Piccolomon seems ok that they're scared, since he thinks they'll have fun later as they blend in.

Also, Ruki's shadow making heel noises doesn't quite work when Ruli never wore heels.

Piccolomon sure wants a Digivice.

And now they're turning into shadowy things and the shadows are turning normal but menacing?

Jellymon explains to Gammamon that Piccolomon has kidnapped them and now Gammamon is upset as you'd expect.

Gammamon is just yelling for Hiro since Hiro told him that. And Digivice go shiny and opened a door for everyone to get in and help.

They've swapped which the shadow is, and Gammamon notices instantly, and then they swap back before the shadow goes poofy.

Ruli is still running and turning shadowed.

Piccolomon seems to be under the impression they would 'give' him the bracelets in exchange for fun, as a reward? And now he's upset.

Which evolution will pop up... Hey look, Betel.

Jellymon points out he can't fly. Betel says he can. Tesla shows up and they just.... all go flying? I mean, I suppose it's a jump, but weird. Piccolomon bashes them all.

Betel and Tesla combine attacks, while it's shown Ruli is still running. Angoramon hits Piccolomon pretty hard, a bit of malice in that hit.

Now her Digivice is shiny and it teleports them all over, Angoramon taps Ruli and the shadow goes poof. And here's Symbare. New BGM I think? has a nice sound to it.

Piccolomon is still upset about not getting their present. Threatens to erase them from the past and vanishes. This is the first time it's been clear the episode actually 'has' time travel.

Piccolomon is back... all beat up. And wants to know what Gammamon is. Goes to his future now. Comes back and says Gammamon is amazing and wants to be his friend.

Piccolomon's mood has entirely changed and just wants to be Gammamon's best friend now. Is happy to send everyone back once he's told to.

Gammamon has his chocolate. Everyone else is tired. Although they forgot to draw Ruli tired even though she clearly is.

Angoramon says puffery.

That episode felt like it wanted to set a mood and was sort of not interested in being coherent. The mood worked. I even thought some of the character stuff did. But the episode itself really didn't feel constructed well at all.

Konami Yoshida was Piccolomon. She was previously Michael & Shakomon in Zero-Two, Isamu in Hunters, and Piyomon in Savers Another Mission.

Brubarb

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a good episode. I am wondering how many episodes Ghost Game is slated to have. I feel like we know the characters really well now, and it would be good to get some plot in.

Leoil01

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This just left me with more questions about gammamon just who was he or is he if gulus is another personality

Ragnalord

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Those final bits were hilarious 🤣 😆 😂

Prodigious

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’m over the monster of the week crap and lack of fighting

so I want to focus on the little bit of plot we got this episofe

who told Pixiemon about the bracelets?
What do materialised Digimon want with one? We know Dracmon wants a partner. Will he come back for the bracelets too?
What did pixiemon see in gammamons past & future? Gulus in the past? He came back beat up. This would suggest that gulus is gammamons natural form?

I need answerssss

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder if the time travel thingy will connect to the known universes in some way. And I think there will be more about Piccolomon, and Clockmon.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not too much to say about most of the episode. The shadows were kind of creepy and the animation did sell it, but otherwise it was more par the course. Really, most of the intrigue was on Pixiemon's time traveling involving Gammamon as he implies GulusGammamon was his true past and his future self is something glorious.

Also, was BetelGammamon really flying or just jumping high because if it's the former that's a contradiction since he couldn't fly in the previous episodes.

Illu

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
All together, a pretty bad episode. The end bit with Piximon getting beaten up by Gulus presumably was funny, but other than that, not much substance to this episode. The wasted potential in this episode is unreal. They passed up such a great opportunity to explore Hiro and Ruli's past in more detail, and the villian was just annoying. Maybe would have worked better as a two parter imo.

Cardcaptor Takato

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I thought the episode had a good set up and I liked the unsettling atmosphere of it all. I thought the surreal voice when Ruli started disappearing was well done and I liked Gammamon's desperation to save Hiro. I feel like the episode could have gone farther. It would have been better if everyone disappeared and Gammamon had to fight on his own. The things Piccolomon talked about in regards to the bracelet and Gammamon could be interesting if we knew it would actually be brought up again and this isn't just something else that's just going to be a one off. It was an all right episode but not as good as last week's.

Eitaroutarouman

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not too much to say about most of the episode. The shadows were kind of creepy and the animation did sell it, but otherwise it was more par the course. Really, most of the intrigue was on Pixiemon's time traveling involving Gammamon as he implies GulusGammamon was his true past and his future self is something glorious.

Also, was BetelGammamon really flying or just jumping high because if it's the former that's a contradiction since he couldn't fly in the previous episodes.
To quote a certain cartoon samurai, "No. Jump good".

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The character bits early in the ep are really good! Love the premise of Gammamon doing his first errand, and Hiro going over it with him was just so cute. Hated that they used the Picklemon translation, at least use Pixie if not Piccolo, like c'mon. Not quite sure how Gammamon's evolutions work, this late into it. Is it based on how Hiro feels? How Gamma feels? Or is it truly random like the characters imply?

I originally was under the impression that Piccolomon had orders to retrieve the bracelets from someone higher up, since they didn't even explain why they wanted them other than "I want your item." I was worried Symbare wasn't gonna make an appearance, since he doesn't show up until like the last five minutes, and they tend not to use him very much for whatever reason.

A lot of episodes, like this one, seem like they try to fit at least 2 episodes worth of content into one episode. Like this one could've benefited from being a two-parter, unfortunately this series isn't formatted for that.

digifan313

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"When I goes around capturing human I caught wind about your bracelet." The hell he get that would talk about this? So far the only people that actually see them using the bracelet that I can recall is that bird guy from way back then and Ruri's friends I think? And of course they need to know it's something related to hologram ghost/digimon too. Really feels kinda an odd information to just glaze over.

Piccolomon travelling to the past and got beat up seems to imply that Gulus IS the real form and somehow around the time he met with Hiro's dad he becomes the child Gammamon? Wonder how this will all work out. Really hope they get to answering questions soon instead of just piling them up.
Also doubt this will happen, but it'll be funny if this piccolomon from this episode appear in the future just gushing and wondering about the latest form before going back to the past again.

And I'm really curious how solid the hologram in this show is if they want to sell Gammamon to be able to buy stuffs. Honestly beyond the hologram ghost thing at the early episoide... we don't really see that many hologram???

RedFoxy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Piccolomon/Piximon is lucky to still be alive.
The fact that Gammamon did not panicked when he learned that Piccolomon sent Hiro away but instead called him out shows just how strong their bond is but also maturity.
He could have easily gone in a rage mode like in episode 13, but did not.
Also the team is lucky that Piccolomon tried to first eras Gammamon from the past before anyone else.
It was hilarious, for them returning back, looking defeated and asking Gammamon what he is.
This spoiler supports the theory that Gammamon was GulusGammamon before meeting Hiro.

We learn more potential of the bracelets as well, making me more curios what is its limitations or how it ties to the bond that a human and digimon have. Its obvious that without that strong bond between human and digimon, those kids would be lost in the past.

Its very visible that the team is getting stronger and stronger together, their bond, their friendship keeping them going on and defeating (not all the same way and few exceptions) their enemies .
Besides that Gammamon is maturing with Hiro's help, future increasing the bond between themselves.
Its starting to make more sense why Gammamon is soo childish and more likely it was intentional. In previous episode it was introduced Petermon who could manipulate other humans and digimons memory, to make them forget. What if that's what happened to Gammamon, to make it so he matures with Hiro's help, as like in the first episode said to be Hiro's little brother.
This might be the key to keeping GulusGammamon under control. If Gammamon and GulusGammamon are the same person (they are same body entity),then the emotions Gammamon has will also be part of GulusGammamon.

Would bet, offs-screen none of them would be asking what Piccolomon seen in the past or future. The team gets an A for friendship/compassion but gets D for intel gathering, of course its intentional.

Also nice touch with the creepy shadows. Shadows that slowly consumes you as they become flesh and you become a shadow.

Last edited:

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Once again, not a whole lot to say this week. Gammamon going on his first errand was kinda cute even if it felt kinda pointless. I was really hoping that when Piccolomon said he had "heard" about the Digivices, it was setting up some kind of antagonist but sadly no dice. Other than a cool cameo from the Ryōunkaku, the time travel aspect felt sorely underutilised. It would have been interesting had we not seen Hiro/Ruli disappear and instead part of the episode is Hirosuke and Ruliko living in Meiji Era Japan who are being stalked by these shadow creatures as well as hearing echoes Kiyoshirou's voice occasionally only for them to eventually realise that the shadows are the fragments of their true memories and they aren't from the past but victims of Piccolomon. Some kind of gimmick like that would have really raised a boring episode like this IMO. Anyways Piccolomon threating to go back in time and Grandfather Paradox the heroes out of existence...only to immediately come back having the tar beaten out of him (presumably by Gulus) had me roaring with laughter, not gonna lie.

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was good. Another good opening scene, with a man being taken by an unknown voice. Gammamon finally leaving home alone and Kyoshiro and Jellymon following him was a good set up. Why did they follw him? I liked having Ruki and Hiro taken by Piccolomon. The premise of Piccolomon taking people to another time and have them face their shadow self was interesting. What do those shadow selves really represent? I didn't understand it very well. Does it have to do with the past and the future? Gammamon crying for Hiro and he hearing it and crying back and, thus, a portal opening was well done. I liked having Hiro turn into a shadow and his shadow self turn into a shadow again and then disintegrate. The fight with Piccolomon was good. Angoramon then rescuing Ruki following her cry was good. Piccolomon attempting to erase the characters from existence but being beaten in his time travel and changing his mind was funny.

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was the most interesting episode and it was somewhat creepier and horror-ish.

Gammamon's first errand! Hiro finally treated Gammamon like a little brother since past eps only made Gammamon basically like a toy pet.
Humans vanishing without any hints of Digimon's abilities and it was really unsettling and creepy.
Look like everybody didn't get bothered despite fearing GulusGammamon might resurface again.
Oh so it was actually Piccolomon?! I totally didnt see that coming! Yeah I had to reread his profile but I didnt think that profile totally meant Piccolomon can dive though space/time! I was assuming Piccolomon can appear anywhere like popping out of nowhere like Paimon of Genshin Impact.
As I was shocked to discover the suspect being Piccolomon and he does have high intelligent. To erase somebody out of the past by simply diving there was IQ 5000 move damn! Hell, he can dive into the future! I wonder why Piccolomon had to die in Adventure 01 despite having extremely useful abilities like that? I laughed and confused when he returned back wounded (Obviously this might prove Gammamon is actually reborned one. GulusGammamon did this to Piccolomon so savage as usual)
but I was surprised he suddenly wanted to be the best friends with Gammamon after dived into the future maybe it was the end of this season where he appeared there or took a peek to the adult Hiro and his partner in the future?

Being consumed by the shadow and be replaced was really horror part good thing Gammamon's dog nose helped!
Piccolomon returned all other vanished humans was very unsettling like seriously he is too extremely dangerous to encounter and he can erase somebody out of the existence.... At only Perfect level.

This episode made me re-read his profile and my views on Piccolomon were completely changed. Seriously this isn't mere fairy digimon. I dont remember any myths saying a fairy controlling within time/space honestly.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Those who read the magazine synopses were already aware, of course, but anyone who was familiar with Piccolomon from other Digimon media should have recognized his voice immediately, with the high pitch and the "pi" tic at the end of every sentence.

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
OH interesting no wonder. Nice to learn more.