Digimon Ghost Game: Episode 12- Chain Letter

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 12, Chain Letter

A preview of the episode from the end of episode 11.

Episode 12 airs Sunday, December 26th, 9am in Japan. (Remember there is no episode on the 2nd Jan)

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, December 25th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, December 25th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, December 26th, 2:30am in the UK (GMT)

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• ep12preview02_december25_2021.jpg
    ep12preview02_december25_2021.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 20,212

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pretty standard chain letter. I like how they felt the guy had to explain why he wasn't sending the chain letter minus just... junkmail.

Jellymon floating around bored. Jellymon seemed scared, and Gammamon is reading. Jellymon asking Hiro for help seems different.

Poor phone, Gammamon smashing it.

Angoramon has spider-sense for Ruli being in trouble. That'll be helpful.

I like the Zassoumon chugging water to get larger and how that is animated.

Jellymon doesn't handle pain 'or' fear well, which makes sense based on how she acts. It helps her being scared of them since she's seen one swallow enough water to get super large before.

Ruli wondering if they should ask Bokomon if he knows how to deal with them is the kind of thing you really want to see with a secondary character.

Everyone blaming Kiyoshiro feels... odd, but not wrong.

More chocolate for Gammamon.

Not sure how I feel about Bokomon deciding to randomly believe stuff he finds on the internet...

Jellymon is very scared of them, but she's also oddly not caring.

Gammamon runs off fighting to protector chocolate, which won't be able to be made if the Zassoumon multiply too much and cover the world.

Angoramon runs off fighting because... it makes sense that he would.

Kiyoshiro and Jellymon get super excited and we get TeslaJellymon, since they assume they have an easy way to win, which suggests it won't go well...

TeslaJellymon does some decent damage actually.

Hiro telegraphing the different strategies based on who Gammamon evolves to telegraphs what's going to happen as Gammamon screams he will do his best.

And it's Wezen, as the telegraph would suggest.

And everyone is confused at a new one. Jellymon seems upset that he has 'another' new evolution.

Is Wezen sucking energy out of the digital field to power up his attack?

An old Zassoumon shows up and stops the fight, and apologizes. All the Zassoumon are clones that he accidentally lost control of due to how much water was around.

Says he will take them away peacefully and not trouble them again... Wow, it's... the same ending as Dracumon. He walks off acting friendly then we get the evil look.

Hiro remembered his phone is broken. Angoramon helps with a poem that doesn't help.

The episode has some decent character, and takes advantage of the plot to deal with a lot of shots of static animation that don't actually look bad, but the show really is stuck in a loop where... it's kind of good, but it's repeating it's a bit tiresome will still being kind of fun.

Kind of weird this time, as Hiro doesn't even have much to do with the overall plot to introduce Wezen. And Wezen being there sort of felt unimportant...

Tomomichi Nishimura returns to Digimon as the 'real' Zassoumon! He was Wendimon in Hurricane Touchdown, the Head Candmon in Frontier, and Archelomon in Xros Wars.

Brodul

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally WezenGammamon, but the issue is that Hiro doesn't know which form to choose since it's random

Shiningmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
An episode that closes the year well, paradoxical enough that Jellymon is afraid of a tentacle creature like Zassoumon (being herself a digimon with tentacles), Aoi and Mika who are more and more involved in incidents (there clearly , Ruli brings them to Bokomon's library, I believe more and more in my idea that they join the group afterwards.)

The situation is in itself very catastrophic with all the Zassoumon which are multiplying; this is shown very well with the Kiyoshiro simulation.

New attack from Tesla and appearance of Wezen, the only criticism I could make is that we passed the course, we saw it in the exchange of glances between Wezen and Hiro: they were ready to do it. ... But the old Zassoumon had to arrive and stop everything ...

Concretely, Wezen becomes for the moment my favorite evo of Gammamon (but when there will be Gulus, that will change.)

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ruli and Angoramon are just sitting here watching while Hiro and Gammamon gets a third evo...LMAO.

I think the Jellymon and Kiyoshiro bits were really entertaining, they seem more in sync and like partners now. Also we get some actual damage done with TeslaJellymon, so we get to show her off a bit more.

This being Wezen's debut was kinda odd, but it was fine. Especially since this was probably the most violent battle of the series, and we were about to see an actual DigiDeath, until the ElderZassou appeared...rather suddenly. The fact this major conflict was resolved so easily and ElderZassou's mannerisms, I'll be really disappointed if this storyline ends here.

Eitaroutarouman

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The people in Ghost Game treat Hologram Ghosts as urban legends a lot of the time. I question how that'll work considering we had people outright fighting them.

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thing I love from this episode is "many x digimon could unite as one big x digimon". Other thing is the size of a digimon.
Two basic things and I love it.

Momentai

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode was ok, I quite liked it, but they just need to stop with chocolate being the main reason for Gammamon to do anything. At first it was kind of funny but now it's getting annoying

Soft

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Alright I get some folks are not particularly enjoying the slow burn
But I don't mind it at the slightest. For me, it's the little things and character showing, well, character.
It's not all about actions or plot or murdering (yeah I saw there's some strange real concern from the fandom about the lack of that but c'mon Digimon are capable of reason so we don't always have to go that way and call it a day)

But uh didn't Tamers get a very slow burn too? And it's like universally one of the best seasons ever as far I'm concerned? (btw is not as good as you remember! Sorry! That's a common burn joke for nostalgia, it's a thing)

Yeah yeah Angoramon is taking his sweet time to even evolve and? That's good! Remember Patamon in the original season? I looked up, he evolved for the first time in episode 12. Angoramon is on his way to dethrone him and THAT will make feel like a big accomplishment.

Specially after this latest episode, did you see that?
Kiyoshiro can evolve Jellymon easily and their dynamic was just awesome to watch. Gammamon, that lil choco for brains (I bet he was reading a book about which plants chocolate came from in the beginning of the episode) now has three alternative champion level forms and we can tell for sure now Hiro has no control about which one to choose.

It is implied Gammamon does that, but we need to see more to reach that conclusion. I have been suspecting his chocolate obsession maybe is just some diversion of his true self as implied from *caham* Gulus self. I swear if wasn't for that I have dropped any interest over him nomatterhowBetelisawesome

Ah speaking about evolutions isn't WezenGammamon hardcore? Again, the little things, I don't mind there was no indication about his evolution during the episode, that doesn't have to happen all the time, so I simply enjoyed how epic he went there.

And that part he was seriously meant to kill those green Veggiemon and Hiro was hesitating but meant to go for it in the last minute just before that elder to stop them.

Well we are going to see those walking weeds again, the evil look trope was right there. Most digimon can be reasoned with a talk after a lil spar but there's these ones that won't go down like that. So no worries folks, there will be a time these kids will have no choice but terminate the thing. It just didn't go there yet.

digifan313

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I feel like the episode doesn't do justice in explaining how scary the situation is. Kiyoshiro explains it like everyone only has a local connection and a maximum of 10. But his own example include him having 100 other students. All they need is just one global contact and that would immediately get out of Japan. Heck imagine if the mail managed to get into a hosting server, this could potentially get to hundreds of thousands at once. That it only spreads in one city so far already feels like a miracle as it is.

So on the episode itself, it has been hinted before but I've never seen a difference until now. Kiyoshiro's field is different from the others? Is it based on which device activated it or they can pick?

Still wondering if we'll ever get a full fledged fight lol.
I like that Kiyoshiro has many animation for his attack calling with his personality quirk though
But I think it's safe to say that this isn't the end of those Zassoumon? Like with that obviously evil glint at the end lol. And of note, despite saying 'we got a lot of them' not a single Zassoumon actually died since all of them just merged and merged further.

Something I'm curious about, doesn't usually digimon that evolved has their personality to match too? That doesn't seem to be the case with Gammamon.
I mean Jellymon seems the same too but she isn't as childish as Gammamon.

Soft

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Something I'm curious about, doesn't usually digimon that evolved has their personality to match too? That doesn't seem to be the case with Gammamon.
I mean Jellymon seems the same too but she isn't as childish as Gammamon.

That's something I've been observing as well. You are right about Jellymon, she is pretty much as same as TeslaJellymon (and she's perfect like that except thosefanserviceshotsew) but Gammamon's personality got some swings when he evolves.
As BetelGammamon he's particularly very aggressive. See how scary he looks when he attacks? Even he was meant to save Clockmon? I found that funny given he's a vaccine attribute, a group meant for digimon which are usually, well, good natured.

Gammamon himself is a virus attribute and there's these moments he acts feral in a fight. BetelGammamon is an extension of that but again, attribute makes that interesting.

KausGammamon is the most neutral in character wise, as he's calm and composed as his species bio says. But here with WezenGammamon I noticed he got pretty prolly to kill. He even urged Hiro to make the call for it which almost did if was one second sooner.

It's not this usual for a Digimon main character to change this much when they evolve regarding behaviour sense. I mean the best example I can remember is Offmon. Okay an Appmon, but you get what I mean. I just wonder if might be a similar case as Offmon was actually an emotionally suppressed and bottled up self of Shutmon.

Because we have this GulusGammamon thing going on. Something's up.

And I'm particularly intrigued about the time when Angoramon will evolve. We know how Symbare Angoramon looks like, we know the bio, and we can tell it's very different from him. Will he still be nerdy when looking like that? Time will tell!

Last edited:

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was pretty good. Having the attack be online and, thus, more widespread was a good change. Poor Hiro. Gammamon smashed his smartphone. Good to see the Zassoumon growing by drinking water. Kyoshiro's calculation about the potential end of the world was a nice touch. It's both funny and sad that Gammamon cares more about chocolate than about his friends. Good action for everyone. Interesting to know that Hiro can't determine what form Gammamon evolves to. I liked WezenGammmamon's debut. The elder Zassoumon's explanation strikes me as possibly false considering his evil look at the end. Hiro saw it. I wonder whether he will keep watching them.
This was the last episode of 2021. It was a wild ride with Digimon Adventure 2020 and, for the last almost 3 months, Digimon Ghost Game.

Thatguy3331

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Episode 12:

This episode was kind of a mess. A fun mess but still kind of a mess.

Interestingly this week had several of the same flaws that have individually plagued some of the previous episodes but none of them really weigh the episode down to bad. For example:

-The animation was choppy and jank but nowhere near as badly handled as episode 10

-There was very little feeling of actual focus as to which character this episode was supposed to focus on, but that only helps emphasize the chaos of the situation this week.

-The motive for Gammamon evolving is super simple but that honestly creates the hilarity of Gammamon turning into a living gun for chocolate.

-The episode ends on an anti climax as usual, but they very obviously set up that the elder Zassoumon is hella suspicious ala dracumon.

Granted for that last one I’d be lying if I said I was super excited at what he would bring to the table as Clockmon’s return was pretty terrible but at least now the show would have to really go out of it’s way to disappoint me.

The biggest plus of this week's episode is definitely in how chaotic it is with regards to the scale of the problem. The Zassoumon walk a perfect line of being actually threatening while still being weak enough to have random people trying their damndest to whack them away and showing some modicum of success before the dreadful inevitability of them taking over gets brought up. The first half is a story genuinely told through action that isn’t distant from our main cast like the birds or karaoke episodes, and also unlike those episodes we get to glean a few more character bits from Jellymon and Gammamon. In Jellymon’s case it’s mostly a joke as Jellymon being afraid of the water sucking enemies is a fun change of pace but also makes perfect sense. I do wonder if this particular fear will be brought up and used again later however. In the case of Gammamon, he had a few good bits (like destroying Hiro’s phone) but I think my favorite is him learning how to understand stakes through chocolate which becomes his primary motivation for the rest of the episode. To the point where he seemed truly good and ready to blast the Zassoumon clones to smithereens until the elder one showed up. (This wouldn’t necessarily be the first time Gammamn showed a desire to go all the way with his fighting)

Speaking of Wezen, wow, I kinda liked it’s showcasing here as it easily comes off as the most lethal of Gammamon’s 3 forms (Gulus is gonna have it’s work cut out for them!) Even it’s voice sounded different from the other two which, again, only makes its sense of menace come off even funnier when you remember he’s going all Terminator because of some chocolate. Those other problems I do have however: Jellymon’s shift from Terrified to suddenly confident she can take them kinda confused me. Did them merging together give her the confidence that she could take them out if she evolved? I suppose so. The other, what exactly is the range of the digital field transfer? Like I don’t expect to get an actual answer but those digimon were all over town. Is the transfer radius really that large? Does that suck in other digimon as well? If the elder Zassoumon wasn’t already transferred how the hell did it even get there otherwise? Perhaps this is more of a nitpick but it does raise a lot of questions that I have zero expectations of getting answers for (well except maybe that last one since Blackgatomon also shows up in Hiro’s field.)

Much as I appreciate it when Ghost Game pulls off a flawed but fun one off, I’d be lying if I said the show gave me the confidence that it’s broader overarching narrative will form into something really compelling. We’re starting to hit the part of the season where it truly is expected now more than ever for some of the larger pieces of the puzzle to be put into place but I can’t say there’s much I’m excited for beyond morbid-ish curisoity (like hey, it’s not like this show is a chore to sit through) and the vague pseudo promise of Gulusgammamon bringing something interesting to the table whenever it well and truly shows up. This season is by no means the worst thing in the world, even by digimon standards (hell ESPECIALLY by digimon standards) but it also leaves quite a lot to be desired. Here’s hoping something shakes things up sooner rather than later.

Oh yeah, rejoice people, a digimon is finally gonna get offed next week. Are ya happy now?

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode was OK. Them combining the good old chain letter with the concept of weeds was pretty neat, and it does lead to some real chaos in the story as you see these guys running around like gremlins wreaking havoc across the city. I also like how the kids tried to deal with them by picking a spot where they can be lured and then trying to eliminate them as a threat once they had them in one spot. WezenGammamon also had a good debut here, the reason for it happening is a bit weak as it was just about the champion chocolate, but all things considered as he got to do some damage and show off a bit more of what he can do.

And finally, the ending felt like a cop-out since the ElderZassoumon just popped in out of nowhere. If something's done with him later then it won't be so bad, but just in the context of this episode his appearance does feel very unsatisfying.

Oh yeah, rejoice people, a digimon is finally gonna get offed next week. Are ya happy now?
We had a few offed in the death race, though I guess it depends on what happened to MetalPhantomon's victims once he sucked them into the scythe.

Sparrow Hawk

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It does really like it's Germlin movie lol

I really like this episode. Totally didn't expect Jellymon's trauma towards Zassoumon!
Zassoumon may lost its evolution to Algomon's newer lower forms but gained the treatment of Keramon instead lol

The smaller size of Zassoumon easily gets defeated with any tools or humans beating up
but it was so gruesome sight to merging with other clones to grow bigger! I didn't expect Zassoumon can get bigger in Anglerfish style.... Their food

Look like my suspicion on Gammamon's moods affecting his evolutions to alter were somewhat right.

So I can guess BetelGammamon = Gammamon's aggressiveness to fight mood and "Bad vibes" alertness

KausGammamon = I believe I can fly! motivation and Gammamon's timing mood

WezenGammamon =Uhh dunno what to say on this but probably indecisiveness to allow this form to fire multiple weapons with all over its body?

I'm surprised to see this fight got stoppped by old Zassoumon... Very suspicious. I wonder if this old Zassoumon is behind this.

I'm slowly ending up like WezenGammamon a bit more.

Thatguy3331

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
But uh didn't Tamers get a very slow burn too? And it's like universally one of the best seasons ever as far I'm concerned? (btw is not as good as you remember! Sorry! That's a common burn joke for nostalgia, it's a thing)
First off, Tamers first episodes were not initially that well received and it was mostly only in retrospect that people seemed to warm up on them. It is possible the same could be the case of Ghost Game but that brings to

Second point, while Tamers and GG are going for VERY different things, when it comes to what said episodes accomplish Tamers just comes off as having a lot more focus in what it's "slower pace" was in service of (building the world, exploring character motivations & concepts) and while I have no issue with GG wanting to take it's time I just don't think we've used that time effectively enough to where it feels like we've done alot special with our cast to flesh them out meaningfully nor build up a genuine sense of mystery as to what's going on in the show's world. Now, the show being ongoing, this could all very easily be flipped on it's head, but even then, I'm left with a handful of episodes that I frankly just don't care for all that much. Whether you're moving slow or fast isn't necessarily always the problem it's what you're using that narrative speed for.

Yeah yeah Angoramon is taking his sweet time to even evolve and? That's good! Remember Patamon in the original season? I looked up, he evolved for the first time in episode 12. Angoramon is on his way to dethrone him and THAT will make feel like a big accomplishment.
It would really only be good if the wait is justified. In OG adventure, Patamon was the last of 6 other digimon to help distract from the fact that he was taking so long and even then the show pretty obviously sign posted him as important in addition to the obvious angel v demon imagery going on. It forces one to act what the hell makes him so special to warrant such attention when Gammamon and Jellymon evo debuts were so basic. To GG's credit, I do think there is merit on holding it off if only because Ruli and Angoromon's relationship has never really been pushed in any significant way and I can only hope that when he does evolve it really is the end result of saying something meaningful about the two of them. I wasn't really bothered by Angoromon not evolving last episode, but if it's debut just to beat up the bad guy and nothing more, then it's really going to come off as a waste and a let down. (aside from the fact that Angoromon's VB was only released recently, but even from that standpoint that feels more like a hinderance than anything)

We had a few offed in the death race, though I guess it depends on what happened to MetalPhantomon's victims once he sucked them into the scythe.
I don't really count the metalphantomon stuff because I could still hear their screams, which seems to be the same logic everybody else used as that they still wouldn't shut up about it after that episode aired

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was certainly an odd episode. The comical start led me to believe this would be a simple standalone episode but as I kept saying during the episode - "well that escalated quickly!" Now all of a sudden Hologram Ghosts have gone from this obscure rumour to something that all of Tokyo encountered and had to fight off. Curious to see how that'll affect the dynamic of the show now. Love the attention to detail of Hiro & Kiyoshiro having different clothes on during their Partner's Evolution sequences. Kiyoshiro going full chunni and mock-groaning as he clutches his bandaged hand to call out Jellymon's attacks had me bust a gut laughing. The fight felt kind of weird, mostly for how violent it ended up being with several Zassoumon lying on the floor with their chests ripped open...guess the gang forget to go pacifist when chocolate is on the line, lol. WezenGammamon making his debut here also felt strange as there was no connection to needing him like there was with Kaus. In contrast, Angoramon being the only one not to Evolve made him feel like a dead weight. Then to end off we have Wezen charging up for a climactic finisher only for old man Zassoumon to show up and talk everyone down...you've no idea how deflated I was after that. I get that he's obviously building up to something and will return later but it hurts this episode for no real reason when the same effect could be achieved by having him show up after they take out the clones.

Speaking of future episodes, that preview. I don't know if that was intended to be funny, but the dramatic long zoom of the sniper's red dot moving up Gorimon's back only for him to be killed by a throwing knife made me laugh.

Soft

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First off, Tamers first episodes were not initially that well received and it was mostly only in retrospect that people seemed to warm up on them. It is possible the same could be the case of Ghost Game but that brings to

Second point, while Tamers and GG are going for VERY different things, when it comes to what said episodes accomplish Tamers just comes off as having a lot more focus in what it's "slower pace" was in service of (building the world, exploring character motivations & concepts) and while I have no issue with GG wanting to take it's time I just don't think we've used that time effectively enough to where it feels like we've done alot special with our cast to flesh them out meaningfully nor build up a genuine sense of mystery as to what's going on in the show's world. Now, the show being ongoing, this could all very easily be flipped on it's head, but even then, I'm left with a handful of episodes that I frankly just don't care for all that much. Whether you're moving slow or fast isn't necessarily always the problem it's what you're using that narrative speed for.

It would really only be good if the wait is justified. In OG adventure, Patamon was the last of 6 other digimon to help distract from the fact that he was taking so long and even then the show pretty obviously sign posted him as important in addition to the obvious angel v demon imagery going on. It forces one to act what the hell makes him so special to warrant such attention when Gammamon and Jellymon evo debuts were so basic. To GG's credit, I do think there is merit on holding it off if only because Ruli and Angoromon's relationship has never really been pushed in any significant way and I can only hope that when he does evolve it really is the end result of saying something meaningful about the two of them. I wasn't really bothered by Angoromon not evolving last episode, but if it's debut just to beat up the bad guy and nothing more, then it's really going to come off as a waste and a let down. (aside from the fact that Angoromon's VB was only released recently, but even from that standpoint that feels more like a hinderance than anything)

I don't really count the metalphantomon stuff because I could still hear their screams, which seems to be the same logic everybody else used as that they still wouldn't shut up about it after that episode aired
Sorry I don't know how to short quotes for the part I want to talk about as I don't usually go to forums but it's about "justify the long wait for Angoramon to evolve"
Honestly I have zero concerns about that. Just for Symbare Angoramon to show up is more than enough for me and the wait alone feels like it will feel like an accomplishment, regardless the circumstances.

Was WezenGammamon's debut totally random and throw out of nowhere? Sorry can't hear you over my fangirl internal squeezes watching how epic he was!

Angoramon is much more mature and wise in comparison with Gammamon and Jellymon and yet he is still unable to evolve and that's okay. It is okay to take his time, everyone has their own pace. Besides I rather that instead being predicable and evolve right in the next episode to Jellymon or something.

Also I only brought up Tamers because everybody else is comparing them. Personally I don't think that's a bad thing. I mean since Tamers is so beloved for the community, that means people are liking Ghost Game. And of course Ghost Game is handing in a different direction, it would be pretty boring if was not.

In resume I don't sweat details. If the show ends up more like a slice of life I don't mind at all. I'm not here for the plot, I'm here for the critters!

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode was pretty good. Having the attack be online and, thus, more widespread was a good change. Poor Hiro. Gammamon smashed his smartphone. Good to see the Zassoumon growing by drinking water. Kyoshiro's calculation about the potential end of the world was a nice touch. It's both funny and sad that Gammamon cares more about chocolate than about his friends. Good action for everyone. Interesting to know that Hiro can't determine what form Gammamon evolves to. I liked WezenGammmamon's debut. The elder Zassoumon's explanation strikes me as possibly false considering his evil look at the end. Hiro saw it. I wonder whether he will keep watching them.
This was the last episode of 2021. It was a wild ride with Digimon Adventure 2020 and, for the last almost 3 months, Digimon Ghost Game.

After reading AR Pulver's review, I think I may have been too generous towards the episode. I may be too bound to other people's opinion but reviewing a episode immediately after watching it may inflate the grade, especially considering I don't watch it straight, taking several breaks.