Digimon Ghost Game: Episode 11- Kamaitachi

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 11, Kamaitachi

A preview of the episode from the end of episode 10.

Episode 11 airs Sunday, December 19th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, December 18th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, December 18th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, December 19th, 2:30am in the UK (GMT)

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• 0000article.jpg
    0000article.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 7,428

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The intro this time skews a bit to episode 2 in style.

The design of the generic characters being 'haunted' make them feel a bit more than generic to be honest.

Throwing Reppamon in arguing pretty quickly, and without context it has a decent feeling of talking to an enemy who isn't visible. And then Angoramon is off flying away...

Ruli has a Polaroid. And Angoramon lectures her that you do 'not' want to shake a Polaroid picture.

And the wing is haunting Ruli. I like the store owner just doing the generic sci-fi thing of 'Yeah, weird weather'.

And Ruli mentions Angoramon going off on his own, while he lectures her about photography, which is fun. I like her getting annoyed at him and just leaving.

Some 'very' mild musing on Ruli about not being alone.

And Jellymon making demands of Kiyoshiro, and harming him since she does not have a camera of her own. Ruli is being kind of testy in this episode, and it doesn't feel like it meshes well with the little we've seen of her so far.

Getting coffee with Hiro to talk, and Bokomon and Gammamon are enjoying ice cream. Hiro is acting a bit more direct, and Ruli seems to be missing her sense of mystery from prior episodes. This is another case where the characters seem to be forgetting that all the weird shit that happens around them is Digimon related.

Ruli at least brings up her acting strange being related to Angoramon hiding 'something', but it still feels like it doesn't quite fit.

Hiro is confused what he was invited there for when she just up and leaves... which is funny.

Hey look, MULTIPLE Potamons! And a bunch of other Digimon we've seen before. And an answer to what Angoramon is doing. While checking on Digimon who live in the city they've been helping him get info on 'whatever' is causing the strange winds.

Ruli investigating on her own, and two different voices arguing. The neon green either feels perfect for the mood, or a bit much, I'm not sure which. Lights going out took care of it though.

Ruli taking a photo making the Digimon visible seems... a bit odd. She should be able to see them anyways. And then we get Reppamon telling Ruli to leave. Reppamon is shocked she knows what a Digimon is.

And the 'complicated' part reveal is Reppamon is arguing and fighting with his own tail.

Angoramon zooms off, with fun helicopter noise, to go help. Ruli calls Hiro for help, and Gammamon is sleeping. Kiyoshiro looks almost happy shopping with Jellymon. Kiyoshiro not picking up the phone because it's against the rules is a nice touch.

Gammamon being able to evolve outside of the rules 'kind of' set so far because he 'feels like he can' feels a bit cheaty to get them there. Hiro being excited they have the blue flying one was good though. And Gammamon can extend handles for Hiro to hold on to so he can ride him as he flies. That's new.

Reppamon fighting himself is amusing, moreso that Ruli hasn't figured out what is going on and is confused about it. Reppamon's solution to the problem is... cut off his own tail if he can.

The visual of him fighting himself works decently enough. Until it jumps to just showing slashing effects and nothing else.

And then it ties into Ruli being upset by her saying they aren't talking to eachother, wink wink nudge nudge, Angoramon appears to help.

Angoramon holding bamboo as swords is a good look.

Angoramon pointing out considering the feelings of others, Ruli is upset, say's she is going to talk to the Reppamon, and hey, Angoramon helps.

The Reppamon(s?) aren't really in a mood to listen though. Nice cannonball dive from Angoramon.

And in comes Hiro and KausGammamon.

At this point in the fight they forgot Angoramon is there... oh wait, some Angoramon attacks. The closeup of his face was good.

And they've trapped him using the bamboo and are making them talk.

Gammamon and Hiro are confused, as there wasn't any time to explain what was going on with Reppamon.

And now Ruli has convinced them to talk, and ties it into her acting iffy earlier by her own talking being about her own feelings.

Angoramon explains where he was earlier. Digimon swapping information since they are stuck in the real world.

Cutting lemons is apparently the solution to the problem of Reppamon and his tail.

Hiro and Gammamon are stnading in the same pose, still looking confused.

It ending with Ruli acting like a tsunade feels on target for the episode. And she apologizes for acting like a jerk.

And it ends with talking it out and a hug. And Angoramon confusing Ruli.

This was a 'better' episode, but it feels like the show had fully devolved, although since it focuses on Ruli, who had suffered as far as characterization goes, it doesn't feel bad.

Masaya Matsukaze makes his first Digimon appearance as the main body of Reppamon. Many popular roles, including but not limited to- Cold in Attack on Titan, Miroku in Beyond the Boundry, Yasuhiro in Danganronpa, Mikami in Death Note,

Kenji Nomura returns to Digimon as the voice of Reppamon's tail. Digimon fans would know him as Nanimon in Adventure (and returning for it in New Century), Babel in Tamers, Arbormon in Frontier, and Gogamamon in Adventure:.

Karin Takahashi makes her first Digimon appearance as Muchomon. Her best known roles are likely Anosillus the 2nd in SSSS.Gridman and Dynazenon, and Suika in Dr. Stone.

Asumi Saito makes her first Digimon appearance as Floramon. She's rather new to voice acting, and had a few bit roles in the most recent version of Kitaro.

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow after all the character development for Ruli and Angoramon, they literally denied us Symbare...LMAO

Granted, I did enjoy the episode for the development of their relationship, but its just weird that Angoramon didn't evolve in the end. I guess once Ruli's arc of "finding what she's looking for" will resolve with Symbare's debut?

The fight sequence animation was actually very good and I was taken aback by it, as the animation was very fluid. Also, the humor in the episode was fairly funny enough (Hiro's blunt confusion as to why Ruli made him come out to cafe, Labramon, Kiyoshiro being blissfully unaware that his friend is in a life-threatening situation) and Potamon making an cameo was fun unexpected surprise.

Ryudamon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am glad they are bringing in new voice actors every week. It seems that most of them are new in voicing Digimon.

On the episode, It looks more of a filler. I am glad they give Ruli and Angoramon an episode based of them, but I was hoping for Angoramon evolve. Maybe next time.

AppliFang

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To bad no evo lol

At first i thought it was Reppa vs Sanguloup xD

Eitaroutarouman

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Symbare not showing up is a bit disappointing, but they did tease him. When Angoramon used Petit Tornado, the rabbit logo on Symbare's ears can be seen in the wind.

Thatguy3331

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ok this is more what I'm talking about.

Yeah yeah Angoromon didn't evolve, and at this point I do genuinely wonder why hold off on it for so long, but hey Kaus got to be used in an episode that didn't suck ass so I'm all good. We actually get an episode that feels like we're getting to learn just a tiny bit more about Ruli and having her and Angoromon patch things up by working together to stop this week's mon was easily the most satisfying end of episode resolution the show got since like, Mummymon (I still have qualms with Pumpmon tbh) We get to learn about this digimon hang out spot in a way that's actually diegetic and winds up mattering to the resolution was well, MUCH better compared to episode 9 where this important information we got stopped that story in it's tracks and barely mattered at all to the way the story resolved. I'm not sure how much it might matter in the long run but showing us digimon like this that decide to collect together to help each other out is exactly the kind of thing a show like ghost game needs, and I'm happy to see the show recognize that some non violent digimon would find it more beneficial to band together to collect and share info on their own and keep each other safe, regardless of whether they know Bokomon or not. Especially good since from episode 9 it seems that digimon just indiscriminately get flung over to the real world and it would be a scare experience for the weaker ones.

It's nice to get a good episode of ghost game that doesn't have to lean on being crazy like 5 & 8 to make it worth watching, though I do wish we got this one a bit earlier or at least an episode that was as good as this earlier. I do have to wonder when exactly Angoromon is going to evolve and how exactly the show is planning on utilizing the evos in the future cuz aside from like Patamon in the original digimon adventure this feels like the longest we've gone without all of our characters being able to reach their champion/adult forms. Is there a reason for delaying it this long beyond the obvious tie in to the new dim watches? I dunno but I can only hope it's worth it when we finally get to it. The show's pacing and structure is still unfortunately weird and while I did like this episode it still isn't quite enough to absolve all my worries about where the show is headed in the future.

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was waiting Angoramon to evolve but he didn't. It was a good use of KausGammamon though, I really hoped he won't be "secondary" evolution like Lighdramon in Adventure 02

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Aww, the Digimon have made little sanctuaries for themselves.

HeroWars

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Symbare not showing up is a bit disappointing
To bad no evo lol
but its just weird that Angoramon didn't evolve in the end.

But its good they not doing it so fast, gammamon and jellymon evolution have gap..
I think they will do like this:
BetelGammamon debut -> show BetelGammamon's skill -> KausGammamon debut -> Jellymon evolve -> show KausGammamon's skill -> show TeslaJellymon's skill -> WezenGammamon debut -> Angoramon evolve

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I actually had to look up and see if Reppamon's tail did have a mind of its own as I didn't remember that in any of Reppamon's other appearances. It surprised me that it did according to the profile and it honestly made me appreciate this episode for bringing forth a detail that was pretty underused to my recollection. It is a bit on the nose in how it's used, but not in a bad way.

Anyway, pretty good episode. I do understand the complaint about not getting Angoramon's evolution here, but I don't mind it as much. Ruri and Angoramon haven't had a focal episode since their debut and they did need some fleshing out of their characters and their relationship, so not throwing an evolution on top of it is not a bad thing as it means it's giving the two more time to grow. I also liked the fight as KausGammamon got to show off his abilities again and he had good teamwork with Angoramon in subduing Reppamon, which was helped by the episode having better animation.

Digiforlife

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
looks like this show is totally aiming for the younger kids. One great thing that stands out in this series so far is that partner digimons (except Gammamon so far) have separate lives apart from their human tamers and not just being together all the time which I greatly appreciate and enjoy:)

Soft

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Okay folks
I want to see Symbare Angoramon as much as the next guy but I'm glad they are not using evolution as plot excuse to solve communication issues in the first chance. This episode was really necessary for the sake of Ruli and Angoramon's duo development.

Angoramon is a digimon with years of wisdom ahead of his level. It is not everyday we see a Rookie level digimon as a partner that...uh...doesn't act like a child. And I definitely wanted to see more detail of that, specially as he's intelligent (while Gammamon is simple minded and baby brained) and cautious (while Jellymon is more reckless), he had no chance to really shine until now.

And I understand why he is taking his time to evolve. Not just his partnership with Ruli needed to be better addressed but also because Symbare Angoramon....looks VERY different from his self! It was for the best to see how his unusual Rookie level digimon behaves in a setting with his human partner alone before to jump and make him evolve that will extend, or maybe change, his self.

Evolution is something he will accomplish on his own time. It doesn't need to be in the episode next to TeslaJellymon's debut just to follow a pattern. Again, it is also nice to see problems between partners being solved without the need of pushing an evolution for that.

As more we wait, the more his evolution will feel like an accomplishment.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
looks like this show is totally aiming for the younger kids. One great thing that stands out in this series so far is that partner digimons (except Gammamon so far) have separate lives apart from their human tamers and not just being together all the time which I greatly appreciate and enjoy:)
Gammamon not being independent of Hiro makes sense since he's supposed be a toddler.

@Soft I do think they shouldn't wait too long for Angoramon to Digivolve though I do agree with you and @HeroWars that they are deliberately spacing the Digivolutions as to avoid the audience getting fatigued by them since that was an issue in Psi.

Lord Bearmon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I knew two evolution in a row is too good to be true in this series, expected to get disappointed so I don't actually get disappointed.

This series is trying to add moral value to every single episode and it's getting old, especially when they promoted the series as a "horror" story, but the horror is only just 30 seconds into the episode.

robiu013

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Reppamon: "What is our purpose?"
Angoramon: "You cut lemon slices."

lol

It's an ok episode. Not the best of the bunch, but it did show some more layers of personality for Ruli, which is good.

Shiningmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well let's be honest, the episode had a good basis but it was knocked out at the end, the fight was certainly great BUT we should have had the evolution.

If Brodul passes on the thread I know he said Angoramon was strong enough that he didn't have to evolve and I wanted to say that was also the case with Renamon in Tamers (the two look a lot alike) but although she was the strongest of the three, she still had to evolve, besides it was in the same kind of situation: a partner in danger of death.

What changes here is that unfortunately Hiro and Kaus were there, so Angoramon was not in danger for long to evolve (like Renamon facing Dokugumon), if it had been like in the previous episode, we would have had Hiro arriving after the battle and there we would have had Symbare but no ...

Good concerning my point of view on the enemies to kill because at one point it will be necessary, for this episode I had not foreseen the blow of the second entity of Reppamon (yes the tail which in its own conscience surprised me) So I who wanted Reppamon to die for attempted murder on the person of Ruli, there I must admit that it is by "accident" that this occurs so I pass the sponge for this time.

To bad no evo lol

But its good they not doing it so fast, gammamon and jellymon evolution have gap..
BetelGammamon debut -> show BetelGammamon's skill -> KausGammamon debut -> Jellymon evolve -> show KausGammamon's skill -> show TeslaJellymon's skill -> WezenGammamon debut -> Angoramon evolve
Unfortunately, with the title of episode 13, this breaks your theory because given the symbolism of the number 13 plus the title, it feels dark evolution and therefore we should have had Tesla> Symbare> Wezen because it means Gulus for the 13 ... But here we have Tesla> Nothing> ??? > (Gulus?) (Attacks don't count)

TheImpster

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well let's be honest, the episode had a good basis but it was knocked out at the end, the fight was certainly great BUT we should have had the evolution.

If Brodul passes on the thread I know he said Angoramon was strong enough that he didn't have to evolve and I wanted to say that was also the case with Renamon in Tamers (the two look a lot alike) but although she was the strongest of the three, she still had to evolve, besides it was in the same kind of situation: a partner in danger of death.

What changes here is that unfortunately Hiro and Kaus were there, so Angoramon was not in danger for long to evolve (like Renamon facing Dokugumon), if it had been like in the previous episode, we would have had Hiro arriving after the battle and there we would have had Symbare but no ...

Good concerning my point of view on the enemies to kill because at one point it will be necessary, for this episode I had not foreseen the blow of the second entity of Reppamon (yes the tail which in its own conscience surprised me) So I who wanted Reppamon to die for attempted murder on the person of Ruli, there I must admit that it is by "accident" that this occurs so I pass the sponge for this time.

To bad no evo lol

Unfortunately, with the title of episode 13, this breaks your theory because given the symbolism of the number 13 plus the title, it feels dark evolution and therefore we should have had Tesla> Symbare> Wezen because it means Gulus for the 13 ... But here we have Tesla> Nothing> ??? > (Gulus?) (Attacks don't count)
We have no idea about the plot for episode 13. "Executioner" could easily be any other Digimon. And the number 13 thing is more of a western thing. In Japan it's the number 4 that's considered unlucky

Momentai

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this episode didn't need Angoramon's evolution to be appreciated. I was also expecting Symbare to appear, but in the end I'm actually glad it didn't. It was a pretty good episode in its own way, they focused on a character other than Hiro just because they wanted to, and not because it was "forced" by the incoming evolution. This makes me more confident in the future of the series.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really wanted to like this episode but my nitpicky brain just wouldn't allow it. 😢

Allow me to preface this by saying I don't actually mind that SymbareAngoramon did not show in this episode as I thought it wouldn't have solved the issues I had. Whereas I really enjoyed Kiyoshiro's episode last week, it didn't do it for me this time because there being friction between Ruli and Angoramon never appeared prior to this episode and so it felt too manufactured compared to Kiyoshiro/Jellymon's dynamic. I did get a laugh at Angoramon telling Ruli not to shake the Polaroid pictures as that's such a millennial thing to do. I did like that they acknowledged Reppamon's Dex entry mentioning it fighting with its tail as I don't recall previous appearances doing that. Interesting how Gammamon is getting a feel for Evolution and now is able to transform outside of the heat of battle, Hiro's reaction to seeing Kaus was amusing - although I would have preferred if they had utilised the Digivice in that scene somehow as I feel like despite how important they, they feel like an afterthought sometimes and barely get seen outside of the Evolution sequence. Back to Reppamon and I think the thing that bugs me most about GG is they struggle to balance the tone of the episodes. The first half is very mysterious with the strange winds and the slash marks accompanied by voices, it builds into the reveal of Reppamon and his tragic struggle to fight against himself leading to trying to permanently maim himself to avoid hurting innocent people...only to devolve into jokes about cutting lemons. Feels bad that this episode had such fluid fight animation when the previous one looked so choppy. Side note, I did find it weird how despite Reppamon being one of the more destructive 'mons, no one thought to activate the Digital Environment at any point...that's not even a criticism, just something I thought odd. After criticising last week's episode about how it handled Ruli, I will praise this episode in not forcing in Kiyoshiro. He was limited to only two quick scenes which set up and then explained why he would be absent and couldn't be contacted since this was a Ruli focused episode. I do wonder though, since Symbare didn't show up will this mean that the whole communication thing will feed into the next Ruli episode or is it "done" now and they'll have to have a new drama to spark the Evolution. :unsure:

Looking at next week's episode preview though, my body is ready for the weed! :cool: