Digimon Ghost Game: Episode 10- Game of Death

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the episode discussion thread for Episode 10, Game of Death

A preview of the episode from the end of episode 9.

Episode 10 airs Sunday, December 12th, 9am in Japan.

The simulcast for Crunchyroll is shortly after at:
Saturday, December 11th, 6:30pm in California (Pacific)
Saturday, December 11th, 9:30pm in New York (Eastern)
Sunday, December 12th, 2:30am in the UK (GMT)

If your time isn't included in the short list above this link will take you to an easy to use time converter so you check yours.

The show can be watched on the following:
(Most countries) Crunchyroll Series Page

No spoilers past this episode and no posting before the episode is commonly available for most people at the simulcast times listed above (if you are posting about the episode trending on social media in Japan, feel free to post about that.) You can discuss any next episode previews if they are shown at the end of the episode.

Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the episode.

Attachments

• 00article.jpg
    00article.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 10,845

Shiningmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode awaited at the turn of which we almost, if there had not been two opponents, to have a massive rage. Betel's move did not go very well, fortunately there was Kinkakumon, we could have Tesla and already not the same problem as with Adventures:, the other digimon have the same sequence of evolution (pink bundle for Jellymon).

In short, the episode which deepens the Kiyoshiro / Jellymon relationship and which simply deepens Jellymon ^^. I admit I had a heartache when I saw her on the ground, crying and hurt with Kinkakumon crushing her tentacle.

In short for episode 11, given the images and the level of danger (mortal) that Ruli will undergo, I think we can predict Symbare.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Jumping right into it with Kinkakumon this time.

Odd that they keep framing it as VR, but they also really love giving us a pretty flat 2d camera shot for the game in the intro, minus the one shot elsewhere.

And there's Ginkakumon. Kind of neat to have both of them showing up, but that sort of continues the style Adventure: went with.

Nice of Kotaro to show up this week. Jellymon also being unhelpful for Kiyoshiro as always, which is fun. I like Gamammon staring at the hot cocoa while the others are discussing the plot setup. Champion juice is a great Gammamon term for hot cocoa.

Oh, and there is Kotaro again... and goodbye to him.

Did Jellymon 'actually' open the door from the inside, or did Gammamon do something unexpected to it? Gammamon was doing... something. I think...

Kiyoshiro passing out from fear from something happening to someone 'else' feels pretty on character. And it gets a computer term 'integer overflow'.

Bokomon! And he has kept supplies of chocolate for Gammamon, which is clever. And a new library. Bokomon read all the books. Wonder if that will be an ongoing plot thing of him being at random different libraries.

Gammamon knowing nothing about games and Bakumon giving info (with help from Angoramon) helps add to the framing that Bokomon does have things he simply doesn't know.

It's good that Kiyoshiro is playing as Not-Broly, I assume his power is also maximum. That 'KO" voice really does sound like it's out of a fighting game.

Jellymon making a USB plug and going into the game is a great way to integrate her into it. That the entire reason she did it is to say she's number 1 is even better.

Ginkakumon using an arcade stick to control Kinkakumon for the fight is the kind of dumb unnecessary nonsense that I'm unhappy to see.

Man, that Jellymon kick is right out of the profile art.

Poor Kotaro, slowly being melted into booze.

And Ginkakumon... makes an arcade stick with more buttons, which gives them more power? More fun stupid? Too stupid? I'm not sure at the moment honestly.

The first episode with an extended fight probably should have had more animation. I'm happy to see a larger fight, but in a show that hasn't really done enough battles, this would have been a good time to show off some crazier animation.

That's a good shot of Kinakumon coming out of the computer though I'll say. Kiyoshiro hits the watch pretty fast to get to the pseudo-digital world, good thinking on his part.

Now here comes the 'real' fight. Actually, Kiyoshiro passed out again. They'll use the promised 'limit break' to deal with this no doubt.

Jellymon trying on her own was nice, even if it went nowhere. And then we get BetelGammamon to help. Ginkakumon is only worried they're after his booze.

Here comes Ruli and Angoramon to... help theoretically, but they won't.

Jellymon threatening to throw out his junk if he doesn't get up is great. And also the suggestion of the 'secret right hand'. Really good dialogue from Jellymon here.

Wow, she really is Lum, she just electrocuted Kiyoshiro. And now he gets the fancy heroic face.

And someone else evolves! I don't dislike the evolution scene, but man, it was just a fireball and then she switched. Would have been nice to get an actual scene.

Some dodging and then all done. And everyone is saved.

And it was all a misunderstanding for GInkakumon. They didn't know booze existed in the human world and they could just buy it. Hiro offers his dad's stash. Kinkakumon only cared about the fight and promises to take them on again.

That is a fight they have to follow up on since we didn't get to see Promote.

And Angoramon and Ruli are still flying around not helping, with Angoramon being deep-ish.

Not a bad episode overall, but it's basically back where it was to the dancing around episode by episode style, just with an evo scene. Although a not really necessary evo scene? As Jellymon was pretty much beating Kinkakumon 'anyways' before Kiyoshiro got knocked out. Not to mention the difference between Jellymon and TeslaJellymon mostly feels like some height.

Yuka Komatsu makes her first Digimon appearance as Kinkakumon. Probably would best be known as Setsuna in Fresh Pretty Cure and Saeko in Haikyu.

Tetsu Inada returns to Digimon as Ginkakumon. He was Kongoumon in Xros Wars, Gankoomon in Cyber Sleuth, and was also Boltmon in an 02 audio drama.

Ragnalord

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was gold I really enjoyed it, it's a real shame jellymon has a meh tamer.

Thatguy3331

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Neither a great episode nor a terrible one this one is fine for the most part, which I'm thankful for.

Barring Ruli and Angoromon being in the episode at all, it felt like we utilized our run time a lot better, and it was nice to utilize the concepts that halted the story of last week’s episode. It wasn’t handled the best but for me that’s because of two reasons:

This episode looked like crap. I don’t think Ghost Game ever looked too impressive, the best we get are some shots and some strong story boarding in 5, but this might easily be the worst looking episode so far and it was a shame it had to be used on an episode where fighting was very prevalent. We don’t get to see a visual difference between Jellymon and her evo fighting or even a difference between Jellymon fighting on her own vs with Kiyoshiro’s controls.

Kiyoshiro being knocked out for the latter half of the episode and pulling a Zenitsu from Demon slayer. This is a character quirk I can totally buy Kiyoshiro having but it comes at the expense of making me believe He and Jellymon connected enough to activate the evolution. Hiro and Gammamon’s first evo scenes aren’t Shakespeare or anything but it’s a lot easier to buy that they were on the same page when those sequences first activated. In comparison it feels like we only get half of what we needed for the scene to work, and I would have at least appreciated it if Kiyoshiro were at least half conscious or something.

More so than the "main plot" there were some nice little details I liked this week:

-The digital lock picking thing might be more of a Gammamon, if not a virus type specific thing since despite what we’ve seen before, Jellymon didn’t try to tamper with the lock herself

- The face they gave Hiro as he saw his friend get zapped into the game is interesting as he’s been pretty composed seeing most disasters up to now. Is it because this reminds him of his dad disappearing? If so, glad to see we did not comment on it and moved on

-Jellymon doing great in the game but getting her ass beat outside of it was a nice touch. While it isn’t incorrect of Jellymon to say they were winning cuz they had each other, it was also because of the rules and set up of the game that Kiyoshiro’s commands even meant anything, if left to fight on her own Jellymon would have gotten creamed

-The evolution sequence continues the trend of having Kiyo and Jelly outshine their co-stars by miles as there’s just a lot more personality and character put into it compared to the Hiro and Gammamon ones. I thought everybody was gonna be in a stoic action pose during these but nah. Makes me enthusiastic to see Ruli and Angoromon’s.

As a side note I really think the show shouldn't feel the need to have all of the main cast participate in every single episode together. When I say it was an issue that Ruli and Angoromon were even there, it's more because they barely do anything of actual note and it only exacerbates the issue of her not doing much in the show in general (a critique I only half agree with) I can understand wanting to show case the team as constantly keeping in proper contact when a threat arises, which is all well and good, but we could really be using that extra time to focus on the characters that actually matter to the episodic story at hand, rather than waste time at performative "team bonding/building" or what have you. Besides simply having two teams around to bounce off each other might do the show more favors in characterization anyway.

Last edited:

Digiforlife

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hate to say this but this episode is one of the weaker episodes for me. Kiyoshiro continues to make himself look like a clown despite already encountering various digimons already and while it is nice to see how Jellymon truly feels towards Kiyoshiro and then out of sudden Kiyoshiro wakes up and Jellymon evolves (bit of Adventure 2020 coming back here). Also Betelgammamon's fight with Kinkakumon is totally cut short and never mentioned again which is quite annoying. Overall the story plot really needs to pick up some pace from now on otherwise it might follow the same slippery downward slope as Adventure 2020

RyummaSama

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally, the debut of TeslaJellymon!

I liked the pacing of this ep, and I enjoy that Bokomon and Bakumon are recurring characters now.

That fighting game...was kinda lame for the setting of the series lol, It's a VR game in a series set in the near future and there's only EIGHT fighters on the roster?!?!

I think the final fight was kinda meh? Like BetelGammamon and Hiro didn't even help as Ginkakumon wasn't even phased by them. My ideal final showdown would've been Ginkakumon Promote vs TeslaJellymon, makes more sense that the oni siblings would escalate the battle by fighting in sync.

Jellymon being taken down a peg really helps her character development, seeing that Kiyoshiro is not just someone for her to tease but an equal. While trying to wake him, she even goes from threatening to embarrass him to claiming that their partnership makes them strong.

Next week, SymbareAngoramon?! The reference book seems to say so...🤭

Tarama

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is the second time Gammamon unlocking digital lock. Interesting.

For a new evolution debut episode, it's somewhat weak.

Anyway it confirmed that the gimmick about Tamer shouting moves of a digimon isn't permanent in GG. That's a good thing considering a Tamer who shouts every move of a digimon repeatedly will sound weird, just like Hiro did in episode 9.

Thatguy3331

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Anyway it confirmed that the gimmick about Tamer shouting moves of a digimon isn't permanent in GG. That's a good thing considering a Tamer who shouts every move of a digimon repeatedly will sound weird, just like Hiro did in episode 9.
aka a pokemon trainer lol

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow, she really is Lum, she just electrocuted Kiyoshiro. And now he gets the fancy heroic face.
Makes me think that the use of Kinkakumon was wholly intentional seeing as Jellymon is basically Lum.

Eitaroutarouman

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The only weak part in this ep was the animation. This was not the ep to skimp on the animation budget, guys. Jellymon-sama deserves better, dammit.

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The episode was amazing but what bothered me a lot is the animation, it was incredibly weak this time!!
I haven't seen such an animation in years.
However, jellymon was so adorable and her evolution is amazing!

TheImpster

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love this episode. Even though it desperately needed better animation

robiu013

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
lol, what was that line about the secret of Kiyoshiro's right hand about?

Cool they're finally doing the other Digimon's champions, though as I already knew from the sprite art + series opening TeslaJellymon just isn't my favorite Digimon design. Feels too much like they had to do something, but not stray too far away from it being a fighting anime girl. I just feel there were many much more fun ways to make a Jellyfish Digimon evolution line work.

The episode was amazing but what bothered me a lot is the animation, it was incredibly weak this time!!
I haven't seen such an animation in years.
Not sure what you mean by years, when we had Digimon 2020 right before Ghost Game.

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mean in general, the animation in my opinion was weaker than most animes I watched these years.
When jellymon fought and when teslajellymon dodged the attacks, it wasn't fluid at all.
Even in digimon reboot 2020 the episodes were at least a bit better animated than this one.
Sadly because teslajellymon deserved better.

Last edited:

robiu013

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I mean in general, the animation in my opinion was weaker than most animes I watched these years.
When jellymon fought and when teslajellymon dodged the attacks, it wasn't fluid at all.
Even in digimon reboot 2020 the episodes were at least a bit better animated than this one.
Sadly because teslajellymon deserved better.
Sure, I understand. The animation standard for a lot for more season-based anime is better. But I don't really feel like 2020 was that much better and it had several duds in terms of animation throughout it's run. For what it's worth the only big event in this episode was Jellymon digivolving so it was maybe not the big event to allocate a lot of budget into. This episode to me felt like Toei let their Dragon Ball Super team have a go at a Digimon episode.

Lord Bearmon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sure, I understand. The animation standard for a lot for more season-based anime is better. But I don't really feel like 2020 was that much better and it had several duds in terms of animation throughout it's run. For what it's worth the only big event in this episode was Jellymon digivolving so it was maybe not the big event to allocate a lot of budget into. This episode to me felt like Toei let their Dragon Ball Super team have a go at a Digimon episode.
You're just hating on Adventure 2020. At least 2020 had more awesome evolution scenes. Jellymon's was just her getting into a ball and poof comes out TeslaJellymon, it's on par with Birdramon's which was considered the lowest tier evo scene in 2020.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This episode was very silly and I enjoyed it a lot. Nice to see Hiro's friend show up and actually be relevant to the episode's plot for once, even if it was just being a victim. Kinkakumon and Ginkakumon were an interesting choice and I wonder if Gin using a controller to "play" Kin was foreshadowing their Fused form where the roles reverse. Gammamon doing something to open the locked door was interesting...is it because of Gulus showing up last week, is Gammamon realising his potential as a Virus type by overriding the digital lock? Regardless it's Kiyoshiro's time to shine with his epic gamer skills summoning the Oni duo. I laughed at the fact that to protect his otaku room, Kiyoshiro's reflexes were so fast he activated the Digital Field before Kinkakumon's attack hit him. Unfortunately this is where the episode's weaknesses really rear their head, Kiyoshiro and Jellymon haven't really bonded since their debut episode due to the COTD episodic structure so I couldn't really buy their touching moment but nevertheless we finally get an Evolution that isn't related to Gammamon. I am mixed on TeslaJellymon's design but what really let it down was the "fight". Animation aside, the fight choreography in general was poor and I didn't get a strong sense of how she's meant to be different from regular Jellymon due to the battle ending in a single punch. Side note: I felt that Ruli/Angoramon really didn't need to be in this episode and just chewed up screentime, I get that you want to have all three humans together but you really don't need it for every episode.

Ricardolindo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I finished watching the episode two hours ago but I am only posting now. I think this episode was good. Again, a creepy opening scene. The plot of players being captured and turned into drinks was interesting. The scene with Kotaro was well done. Good to see Bokomon and Bakumon again. I expected to see them again but not in the very next episode. Nice of Bokomon to have chocolate for Gammamon and of Bakumon to explain the situation. I liked having Kyoshiro playing the game to find Kinkakumon and Ginkakumon. The fight between Jellymon and Kinkakumon was well done. Jellymon bonding with Kyoshiro and evolving into TeslaJellymon was well done. I loved the electric shock. Good to see Kinkakumon leaving her brother's influence. Nice of Hiro to offer his father's booze to Ginkakumon.